Tales from the Clipped: Hair Horror Stories

Growinpainz

When I was 11 I had split ends and breakage. My mom dropped me off at the stylist and told her to fix it and give me a "little" trim. Before you know it I hear clippers and she SHAVED my hair and gave me a taper. I was so mad:mad: and my parents were pissed. noone told her to "skeebald" me. My hair took a few years to get back to it's normal length and still it wasn't the same.

Another instance, about two years ago I had some microbraids done. Little did I know that the girl put weave glue on the braids and on my hair. I looked in the mirror and damn near died. I wore a hat for about two weeks and then finally tried to take them out. so much glue was in my hair that my hair had to be cut in a "fantasia" style.:cry:

I can't win for losing with this hair thing.

Last edited:
Oh my gosh, those 2 stories are horrifying! :eek:

This is a good idea for a thread.... cant wait to hear stories from some of the other ladies!

I was growing my hair out from the short Halle Berry pixie cut.
It had finally grown out to my earlobes but was a little uneven.
I went to salon to have them trim it and even it up a little bit.
Snip, snip, snip then she was shaving.. she said she had to just even up my kitchen part.
After she was done I looked in the mirror:eek:.
My hair was back to the pixie cut and the entire back of my head was shaved:cry3::cry3:

wow.. my story ain't that bad. i've been going to her cause she promised me my hair would grow if i visited her weekly. well i couldn't afford it and went like every 2 months and my hair got shorter everytime i visited her (check my album if you don't believe me). she told me: "well i told you. if you came every 2 weeks i'd be longer. your thick hair can't hold perm because it's very damaged so get a relaxer every month". i actually believed her until i started reading hair books.

caribeandiva said:
wow.. my story ain't that bad. i've been going to her cause she promised me my hair would grow if i visited her weekly. well i couldn't afford it and went like every 2 months and my hair got shorter everytime i visited her (check my album if you don't believe me). she told me: "well i told you. if you came every 2 weeks i'd be longer. your thick hair can't hold perm because it's very damaged so get a relaxer every month". i actually believed her until i started reading hair books.

Yeah she played you. I guess she was mad because you didn't come when she told you. She probably thought if she kept cutting in it that you would keep coming back so she could "grow it out".

It was my senior year in high school and it was my first prom. My hair was a little past the shoulders, it was a little broke off since i didn't properly know how to care for it. Well i went to go get it done at this beautician who let it be known she hated natural hair and thought everyone should have a relaxer. After battling her and holding my ground she ended just straightening it with her hot iron. She said " no no sweetheart i will let you get a way without a perm today but you need your hair "trimmed", with 2 hours to prom starting i said ok. When she turned me around to see the mirror my hair was up to my ears (no lie). All i could do is :eek: :eek: :eek:, then the tears came pouring out. She told me to get up and get over it that i needed to hurry and make it to my prom:mad: .

joshlyn said:
It was my senior year in high school and it was my first prom. My hair was a little past the shoulders, it was a little broke off since i didn't properly know how to care for it. Well i went to go get it done at this beautician who let it be known she hated natural hair and thought everyone should have a relaxer. After battling her and holding my ground she ended just straightening it with her hot iron. She said " no no sweetheart i will let you get a way without a perm today but you need your hair "trimmed", with 2 hours to prom starting i said ok. When she turned me around to see the mirror my hair was up to my ears (no lie). All i could do is :eek: :eek: :eek:, then the tears came pouring out. She told me to get up and get over it that i needed to hurry and make it to my prom:mad: .

What a HORRIBLE WOMAN!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Some years ago I went to a stylist for a cut. I told her to trim the back and to make the top slightly shorter. While I was in the chair I was wondering why everyone in the shop kept looking each time the stylist cut. They would look at her then look on the floor. When I got up I discovered why. The stylist had cut off a foot of hair on top. My hair was so short on top I couldn't even fit a roller on top and to top it off, it was lopsided. Boy was I pissed, that cured me of going to stylist for years.

joshlyn said:

omg im sorry but i woulda have probably tried to strangle her..

sylver2 said:
I was growing my hair out from the short Halle Berry pixie cut.
It had finally grown out to my earlobes but was a little uneven.
I went to salon to have them trim it and even it up a little bit.
Snip, snip, snip then she was shaving.. she said she had to just even up my kitchen part.
After she was done I looked in the mirror:eek:.
My hair was back to the pixie cut and the entire back of my head was shaved:cry3::cry3:

This is the exact same thing that happened to me in May. I joined LHCF the next week after and haven't let anyone besides me put scissors near my hair.

In 2000, I had my almost bsl natural hair relaxed. The stylist said she had to "trim" it to get it even. I said ok. 3 wks later I went to her for a wash and set. This time she started trimming without saying anything:eek:

In 3 wks I went from almost bsl to barely touching my shoulders:mad: I never went back to her again. The ulgy, dried out wig should have tipped me off to a hater!!!

2 horror stories for me!

1. once when I was around eleven I thought I was turning into a white girl since I had a blowdryer. I thought I was the ish. I blowdried my hair bent over so I can blow it straight to the top of my head-so I could get a straight high ponytail. After I finished blowdrying I went to apply my beloved pink oil moisturizer to the back of my hair when I noticed it was gone! I MEANT STRAIGHT GONE WITH ABOUT 1/4 OF AN INCH! I was mortified. I couldn't beleive a blowdryer would do that to my hair.

2. once I had a stylist apply my relaxer. I was so happy because it was bone straight like I liked it ( I was about 14). I was touching my nape thinking "she did a good job my nape is so straight." but then I felt my fingers a little too well. upon close examination I found that MY NAPE WAS BALD.:ohwell::(

MizaniMami said:
2 horror stories for me!

1. once when I was around eleven I thought I was turning into a white girl since I had a blowdryer. I thought I was the ish. I blowdried my hair bent over so I can blow it straight to the top of my head-so I could get a straight high ponytail. After I finished blowdrying I went to apply my beloved pink oil moisturizer to the back of my hair when I noticed it was gone! I MEANT STRAIGHT GONE WITH ABOUT 1/4 OF AN INCH! I was mortified. I couldn't beleive a blowdryer would do that to my hair.

2. once I had a stylist apply my relaxer. I was so happy because it was bone straight like I liked it ( I was about 14). I was touching my nape thinking "she did a good job my nape is so straight." but then I felt my fingers a little too well. upon close examination I found that MY NAPE WAS BALD.:ohwell::(

:lol: Your narration is funny but I know you werent laughing at the time. I can believe the nerve of some stylists. Thank God I stay away from them.

joshlyn said:

WTF!!!!! :mad: My mom would of kicked her teeth down her throat :mad: I am so happy I could do hair so that I don't have to be bothered with beauticians ( I use to be a stylist when I was younger, around 96, 97 I was about 19 when I graduated from hair school and went from there as a hair stylist, Im in the medical field now :) I still do hair from time to time at home).

Lkaysgirl said:
:lol: Your narration is funny but I know you werent laughing at the time. I can believe the nerve of some stylists. Thank God I stay away from them.

I don't know what I was on back then.:lachen: I don't even remember caring.

I put some vapor rub on it and that stuff grew with the quickness though. Funny, but that was waaay before LHCF days. That's why I don't doubt the whole vicks craze.

I was a freshman in college 5 states and hundreds of miles away from home. It was time for a perm but I couldn't afford to go to a salon (I had never been to one anyway) and I didn't know anyone I could trust. Finally I couldn't take it any more. I finally asked my boss who claimed to have a mother who had a beauty shop when she was a little girl. "I used to watch my momma do hair all the time. She taught me a lot of stuff."

OK.

I let the woman perm my hair. Everything went fine until the time came to rinse. she rinsed with water three times. No neutralizer.

To this day, I think it was an act of God that I didn't lose all my hair. The woman did not use neutralizer on my hair. During this process I spoke up. "Don't you need to use the shampoo that comes with the kit?"
"No child, the water is at such a high pressure that it gets all the relaxer out."
Like an idiot, I believed her and let it alone. One week later as I was doing my hair I was horrified to find an entire section of my hair had broken off to only an inch long.

Like I said, I dont know what she did that all of my hair didn't fall out but thankfully it didn't. I was angry at her for a while, but being I was a naive shy freshman, I didn't know how to confront my boss about how she messed up my hair.

The 1st time I went to "Soul Scissors" salon, I wanted a trim. :D I was sitting in a chair turned away from the mirror. :look: Homeboy was cutting my hair fast as Edward Scissor Hands!:lachen: But when he finished and turned the chair back to the mirror.. I was in shock!:eek:

Now picture this. I am tall (5'9") and have broad shoulders. I looked like a refrigerator with an orange on top for a head. A peeled orange. :mad:

He cut my shoulder length hair so short that I could not find any hair long enough to twist around my pinkie. I payed the bill and left the salon in a daze.

I don't remember how I got home.

The only real horrible hair time for me was during my Jheri curl days in Jr. High. No matter how much I moisturized and used that damn activator, my hair was still crispy! :eek:

BTW: to the OP--clever thread title! :up:

I'm not laughing at your situation but :lachen: at how you described it...the refridgerator, peeled orange visual! :lachen:

fletgee said:
The 1st time I went to "Soul Scissors" salon, I wanted a trim. :D I was sitting in a chair turned away from the mirror. :look: Homeboy was cutting my hair fast as Edward Scissor Hands!:lachen: But when he finished and turned the chair back to the mirror.. I was in shock!:eek:

Now picture this. I am tall (5'9") and have broad shoulders. I looked like a refrigerator with an orange on top for a head. A peeled orange. :mad:

He cut my shoulder length hair so short that I could not find any hair long enough to twist around my pinkie. I payed the bill and left the salon in a daze.

bklynwildheart said:
The only real horrible hair time for me was during my Jheri curl days in Jr. High. No matter how much I moisturized and used that damn activator, my hair was still crispy! :eek:

BTW: to the OP--clever thread title! :up:

Thanks hon!:)

it was my junior year in high school when those Sheila E hair cuts were in style and my hairdresser really wanted to cut my hair in that style but I said no, I had shoulder length hair. So she says she is going to give me a trim, then she cuts too much off one side and says she is going to have to even my hair out so she cuts my hair down to about an inch except for my bangs which were really long!! I was sooo pissed!:mad:

About 5 years ago I had almost midback unstretched hair. I decided I was tired of curyl hair so I went to a bss and picked up two boxes of two steps 2 straight. I did it myself hey it was only two steps right. When i wass rinsing it out of my hair strands of hair were coming out and were in my hands. Needless to say I balled for my mom to come and see and shes like ur soo stupid. I put the relaxer mostly on my length instead of roots. So she had to cut my hair to neck length and it was my senior year:( and pictures. I was depressed for weeks.

...............it was a good 8 years before I let any stylist cut my hair again. :whyme:

And when I did, trust and belive, it was not homeboy from "Soul Scissors" who cut it! :nono:

The name of this is too cute.

I will go ahead with mine although it is not nearly as interesting as most of these…. I can’t believe some of those stylists.

First I will start out with my sister’s horror story and I am completely to blame. I was about 7 yrs old and I was playing with cutting off my Barbie’s hair. My sister (5yrs) said she wanted a hair cut. Mind you she had 2 little pigtails at the time (my mom was notorious for putting us in pigtails) so I ask her how much she wants off and she said I donno just give me a cut so I said well ok if you promise not to tell mommy. She agreed I proceeded to cut off her ENTIRE pigtail. Thinking back on it I have no idea what possessed me to cut her pigtail off like that needless to say as soon as she saw her pigtail barrett and all on her lap she SCREAMED “mommmyyyy”
Lets jus say I got 2 real good whipins that day (one from mom and another from dad when he got home)

My next one is not as comical. In college I did my own hair and I wasn’t the best at it but I would try my best. Well one time I thought I am gonna get this STRAIGHT and I set the burner to high heat and didn’t even check to see if it was burning the cloth I jus put it in my hair. Lets jus say I literally melted away a good chunk of hair, on the front of one side. …. Well at this point I was lopsided I so I HAD to then cut the other side and the burnt ends off that side. ….. lets jus say when I was done it was a horrible attempt at layering my own hair.

fletgee said:

Fletgee, I was seriously cracking up when I read this,, not at your situation but just the way you put it, its so hilarious:lachen:, i know exactly how you felt being in a daze after a hair trauma, ive had that same feeling!

Something I just thought about....

when I had my really short fantansia doo, the beautician did those lil spikes and she spritzed soooooo much that when I touched my hair, whole pieces was breaking off:eek: :eek: :eek:

Back