• I took/ will take my husband's surname

Votes: 29 47.5%
  • I combined/ will combine my maiden and husband's surname

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I dropped mine. I had degrees and certifications in maiden name but shrug it hasnt been a problem and never had to prove that it was really me
Maiden name is a very common name and I was ok with getting a brand new shiny uncommon name to.try on for size :D

I think it would be cute for a girl.

Trust me, it would be very weird for a girl! It's a legit guy's name and although I didn't know any guys with it before I suddenly keep meeting or hearing of guys with it as their first name (there were 2 guys at my work with it as their name recently).

Unless you actually know what my surname is and you're letting me know you think it would be cute for a girl??

I added his name and kept my maiden name as an additional middle name. I only use his last name but my maiden name is still legally mine. Hyphenating is too cumbersome in more ways than one.

BTW it was hard to give up the name I had all my life, but it only took 3 years for me to add DH last name to mine. :look:

My surname is 4 letters..

/If its this guy/ ..his last name is 14 letters AND includes a hyphen.

Needless to say I will not be combining anything.

I'll take a chance with the 14 letters lol.

Trust me, it would be very weird for a girl! It's a legit guy's name and although I didn't know any guys with it before I suddenly keep meeting or hearing of guys with it as their first name (there were 2 guys at my work with it as their name recently).

Unless you actually know what my surname is and you're letting me know you think it would be cute for a girl??

Oh ok. Nope, LOL! I don't know it.

I really don't want to change my surname but DH wants me too. Hyphenating is out of the question because it doesn't flow at all. I will eventually take his name, I'm just in no rush to do it. We've only been married for 2 months. I'll do it by our first anniversary.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't want to get rid of their maiden name completely!
I don't want to change either. We are the last of my last name. That's it. And no boys to carry it on. Been married almost a year and still haven't changed it yet.

I am already hyphenated so when I stop being lazy I will drop one of my last names, move over the last name I want to keep as a second middle name and then add my husband's last name. At this point my goal is to have this done before we have kids lol. Until then I am not in a rush to change lol

I was forced to hyphenate on the marriage license but that wasn't my plan and I still use my maiden name. I don't want to go through the process to make a formal request with the court to practice under the new name. Not to mention, changing everything else just seems like a PITA.

I legally changed my last name. But I still haven't changed my name on most social media or at my job. Eventually I will go all in. It has just been an adjustment going to an easily recognizable name to an Ghanaian name that everyone pronounces wrong lol

ive always assumed i would change my name but turns out im really picky about sounds. like, i dont want my first name and last name to end with the same letter/sound and i dont want any of my names to begin with the same sound/letter either.

my 6th grade teacher was named meredith smith. nah, that wont work for me. :nono:

i'll probably change it legally but continue to go by my beautiful audibly diverse birth name socially.

I changed it to his name, didn't like it, went back and hyphenated it, then when we got divorced went back to my last name. Some stuff had my last name as maiden, married, or maiden-married.

I would get rid of my last name, but my son already has a hyphenated last name. I'd be one name and he'd two different ones.

A friend of mine kept her last name legally, but goes by his last name socially.
How does that work? All of her documents say "Firstname Maidenname" but then when she introduces herself to people, it's "Hi, I'm Firstname Marriedname"?

How does that work? All of her documents say "Firstname Maidenname" but then when she introduces herself to people, it's "Hi, I'm Firstname Marriedname"?

Yes that's exactly how it works. She's a professor so she's known by her maiden name anyway, so for professional events/conferences, she's still Dr. Maidenname. But if they are sent a wedding invitation (or some other social event where I guess a last name is requested) she goes by Mrs. Marriedname

I'm born with a hyphenated name. It sucks donkey balls. I will definitely be taking my husband's last name if I ever get married.

Absolutely take his name. I figure this will further bond us as a couple.
I don't want to be single forever.

Back