Changing your last name??

I did get my maiden name hyphenated with my married name. But I didn't change anything right away.

When I renewed my license, I updated it with my new married name. I then changed my credit cards to reflect the new name to eliminate all confusion. But my ss card and bank statements still reflect my maiden name. I am just fine with the way it is.

Congrats on your wedding. I have been married one year this month. I plan on changing my name (legally), but just haven't gotten around to it. Honestly, I'm just lazy. Don't feel like dealing with the SSA office, then DMV, bank accounts, credit cards, etc. I will get around to it, but it's not a major deal to me right now. I do use my married name at work (e.g. email and business cards).

Me toooooo. It was one year this july, and I just don't want to deal with that. My excuse is when I go to get my next level drivers license I will bring the marriage certificate and do it. My husband is catching feelings though. He always puts it out there that I don't want to acknowledge him as my husband or something. I don't know. Its not that deep to me. If I am signing up for anything, I just put his last name unless they want I.D. because my I.D. doesn't match that yet. But I promised him this year though lol. Our son has his last name.

first of congrats to all of the new newly weds! second....see I'm still going back and forth...I wouldn't keep my maiden straight but I would feel silly hyphenating but at the same time I like my last name (royal) so I realllllllly dont wanna change...lol but I dunno....but when I get an SO we'll see...depends on what his last name is :lachen::lachen:

first of congrats to all of the new newly weds! second....see I'm still going back and forth...I wouldn't keep my maiden straight but I would feel silly hyphenating but at the same time I like my last name (royal) so I realllllllly dont wanna change...lol but I dunno....but when I get an SO we'll see...depends on what his last name is :lachen::lachen:

With my first engagement I didn't plan on changing my last name. His last name didn't flow with my name. I'm glad that didn't work out. My last name would have been messed up. Lewis is a simple last name but on the down side it's associated with that family.:ohwell:

I've been married for like 5 days LOL and today is my first day back at work. My co-workers are finding great pleasure in calling me Mrs. Major, and then it dawned on me....do I have to change my name on all my document? My license (ok who am I kidding, my non-driver's ID), and my SS card? How many of you changed your names on all of your official document? Is it really that important? BTW on my marriage license my surname has changed.

I changed my name as soon as I got back... It was alot of riping and running and I still get some bills in my maiden name that I forgot to change, but legal, my name is his name... banking, SS, work, EVERYTHING! I had completed everything about 2 wks after the wedding. Took a couple of weeks for my new SS card to come and I just took my extra copy of my marriage lic out of my purse.

And to answer about importance, it was really important for me because it was important for him. I had always planned to be very traditional about my name once married (change it completely to his). He even told me that he was proud of his last name for the first time in his life because I would share it. I thought that was so sweet and made me feel prouder to change to his boring behind last name. :look:

DH felt very strongly about it. It made him proud to change my name...and now I don't even miss my old name. It makes things easier if you do, IMO. But lots of women choose not to and I think if DH doesn't care it's great.

I read a book once when the female character said, "If a woman keeps her maiden name, she don't plan on keeping her husband." I think alot of men feel this way. I just think its funny.

I agree with your post.

I like the bolded!:lachen:

Shoot, I loved my dad's last name, but I love my husband more. :yep:
I've gotten used to his last name being mine now and actually correct people when they call me by my old name.

The only thing that makes me a lil sad is that from the moment I changed my name forward, if I meet someone, they don't know who FAMU Dva was... They only know Mrs. Dva. It's like my maiden name never existed to new ppl I meet.

Back