Super long hair would be a hassle!!!

SleepyJean

I saw the longest black hair that I have ever seen recently. She was 3c/4a, and I thought it was absolutely beautiful. It would be nice if all of us women of color could grow our hair tail bone length without trying so hard, but unfortunately that's not the case. I consider SL long, and many other women do. As I was going to sleep last night, I thought, "What would I do with hair that long!?!" Some people have hair that isn't as thick as mine, so the maintenance would not be that difficult for them, but me? I would die!!! :nono: Of course, I cannot say if it would be THAT unbearable, because I have never had hair that long. I just no how frustrating it is for me to do my hair. It's so tedious at times, but I won't stop until I meet my super ultimate goal, which is APL or at most BSL. Any longer than that, would make me mad. Now, I'm not trying to belittle anyone's goal, I am only speaking for me personally. What do y'all think?

I have found that longer hair is easier to deal with. Easier to pull up, braid, bun, etc. When my hair was shorter it was harder to cover up my bad hair days, so I stressed more about it looking "presentable".

I have found that longer hair is easier to deal with. Easier to pull up, braid, bun, etc. When my hair was shorter it was harder to cover up my bad hair days, so I stressed more about it looking "presentable".

I was thinking of the flat ironing, drying, and maintaining moisture! :pullhair:

I used to feel the same way. I didn't want hair any longer than APL when I was relaxed. But now that I'm natural, it's a whole new ball game. It's gonna have to be probably double that length to look APL in it's natural state. So I'm just gonna let it do what it do. I don't even really have a goal at this point.

Yeah, longer hair is easier to deal with IMHO. I can just pull my hair into a pony without flatironing it and as it grows SHF, you will just learn better ways of dealing with it.

But again, I agree with you. Long hair just isn't for everyone.:yep:

I've had apl and bsl all my life and the one time I cut my hair short (mid ear) I was miserable!:nono: I needed my ponytail desperately. Plus I really think long hair is feminine and sexy.:yep: Not to say that short hair can't be but for me, the more length the better.

I think this is the consensus. If long hair weren't truly desired the weave industry wouldn't be a billion dollar industry.

Waist length is my ultimate dream..I can't wait to get there(next year)..extra maitenance and all.

Short hair can be a hassle too, if that's how you see it. It really all depends on what you do to your hair, how you like to wear it, the condition its in and etc. Some people with super long hair have the easiest regimens imaginable. I look forward to being among them one day. :yep:

I've had apl and bsl all my life and the one time I cut my hair short (mid ear) I was miserable!:nono: I needed my ponytail desperately. Plus I really think long hair is feminine and sexy.:yep: Not to say that short hair can't be but for me, the more length the better.

I think this is the consensus. If long hair weren't truly desired the weave industry wouldn't be a billion dollar industry.

Exactly. I've worn braids down to my butt and loved them. They got in the way yeah because let's face it I've never had my own hair grow to that length but I loved the look.The longer my hair grows, the more I tweak my regimen and handling to suit the length. It's no hassle really because I adjust to the length. When I get to MBL, I really can't see myself trimming it all the time to maintain that length. By that time I would have learnt how to handle my longer lengths.

I guess it all depends what you're willing to deal with. For instance, I keep my nails very short. When I see woman with long acrylics I think "dang,they must be hard to handle!" For them it's not a problem, though. But as for me, I'll take tailbone length and all the moisturization that comes along with it :grin:!

Exactly. I've worn braids down to my butt and loved them. They got in the way yeah because let's face it I've never had my own hair grow to that length but I loved the look.The longer my hair grows, the more I tweak my regimen and handling to suit the length. It's no hassle really because I adjust to the length. When I get to MBL, I really can't see myself trimming it all the time to maintain that length. By that time I would have learnt how to handle my longer lengths.

Waist length is my ultimate dream..I can't wait to get there(next year)..extra maitenance and all.

Of course long hair is considered feminine and sexy, but the maintenance is not worth it to me. I think I would feel just as feminine at APL and BSL, but that's just me. I refuse to spend 6 hours just flat ironing. :nono:

Silly enough, I have my whole hiplength hair care plan mapped out in my head, so when 2010 arrives I will be ready.:lachen::lachen::lachen::grin::grin::grin:.
I know that I will do lots of braid outs, pigtails, and roller sets.
Shampoo in the shower ONLY!!! and uses my Hollywood beauty mayonaisse creme oil almost everyday.
I don't plan on wearing my hiplength hair straight every single day. I imagine myself wearing it straight after wash day for a week then go right back to the pigtails and braidouts.

I think it will be pure fun to have super long hair. Plus relatively easy to handle.
I figure it this way, shorter hair u have to make sure every lock of hair is in its place. With longer hair you can just be wild and free. Eg: a long luxurious braid out down to your waist. This style for the most part u wouldn't care where ur hair blows, cuz it's long and sexy and free.

I'm sure one could feel this way about SL hair as well, it's just that i am sooooooo over SL hair and am now ready for a new challenge with my mane.

Of course long hair is considered feminine and sexy, but the maintenance is not worth it to me. I think I would feel just as feminine at APL and BSL, but that's just me. I refuse to spend 6 hours just flat ironing. :nono:

Girl, that is okay. There are probably many more women who feel the same way you do and some that don't either. Just let your APL or BSL flow and be done with it. I don't know if it would take six hours to flat iron though.:look:

Well, I won't lie. I want my hair long, and I want it WL, like now. I always do whatever it takes to get and keep what I want and long hair for me isn't any different. I think if I focused on the difficulty of maintaining WL hair at this stage, I would not be as zealous with my regimen as I am.

IF, when I've enjoyed the bliss of healthy, waist-length tresses, I find it a chore, then I'll cut it back to MID BACK!!!!! :lachen:

Well, I won't lie. I want my hair long, and I want it WL, like now. I always do whatever it takes to get and keep what I want and long hair for me isn't any different. I think if I focused on the difficulty of maintaining WL hair at this stage, I would not be as zealous with my regimen as I am.

IF, when I've enjoyed the bliss of healthy, waist-length tresses, I find it a chore, then I'll cut it back to MID BACK!!!!!

I completely agree!

Silly enough, I have my whole hiplength hair care plan mapped out in my head, so when 2010 arrives I will be ready.:lachen::lachen::lachen::grin::grin::grin:.
Shampoo in the shower ONLY!!! and uses my Hollywood beauty mayonaisse creme oil almost everyday.
I don't plan on wearing my hiplength hair straight every single day. I imagine myself wearing it straight after wash day for a week then go right back to the pigtails and braidouts.

I think it will be pure fun to have super long hair. Plus relatively easy to handle.
I figure it this way, shorter hair u have to make sure every lock of hair is in its place. With longer hair you can just be wild and free. Eg: a long luxurious braid out down to your waist. This style for the most part u wouldn't care where ur hair blows, cuz it's long and sexy and free.

I'm sure one could feel this way about SL hair as well, it's just that i am sooooooo over SL hair and am now ready for a new challenge with my mane.

:lachen:If you believe it, you can achieve it!

Last edited:
I guess it all depends what you're willing to deal with. For instance, I keep my nails very short. When I see woman with long acrylics I think "dang,they must be hard to handle!" For them it's not a problem, though. But as for me, I'll take tailbone length and all the moisturization that comes along with it :grin:!

YOU WERE READING MY MIND!!!

i can't stand my nails to be long... literally i clip then down to like 2 cm of white nail showing... LOL. the one time i got acrylics, yeah they were pretty but they got on my daggone nerves!!! got in the way of me doing simple things like zipping up my pants... :lachen:

so i can imagine some women feel that way about long hair as well... so to each her own. :yep:

YOU WERE READING MY MIND!!!

i can't stand my nails to be long... literally i clip then down to like 2 cm of white nail showing... LOL. the one time i got acrylics, yeah they were pretty but they got on my daggone nerves!!! got in the way of me doing simple things like zipping up my pants... :lachen:

so i can imagine some women feel that way about long hair as well... so to each her own. :yep:

I had the same experience with acrylics. Let's just say "Never again!" :grin:

Being natural 4a/b, I thought long hair would be too much to handle too. For that reason (among others) I started changing my mind about growing my hair to WL. But not anymore.:grin:

I'm learning that my hair IS getting easier to deal with as it gets longer. Like Kbluff was saying, I can wear a messy hair style or rock a BAA and still feel cute. Long story short, I'm loving my hair and can't WAIT to get to WL.

Long hair don't care baby!:yay:

Its interesting, because ive found that as my hair gets longer.... i dont even notice a difference (in daily maintenance) and really couldnt even tell it was longer if not for my progress pics. :spinning: Ive had the same (very basic) regimen since i started my journey, at above armpit length. Wash/DC once per week, bun on weekdays, out on weekends. Moisturize when i remember. :look:

The only thing that has gotten annoying is the length of time i sit under the dryer. BUT since my hair is fine, its thankfully not that bad. I need a full 60 minutes now to be completely dry, whereas in the past it was done in 45 minutes.

Other than that, no additional drama to handle hair that is beyond APL. But that's just me.... To each her own, so i say go on and make that APL/BSL goal, girl, and enjoy it!!!! :yep:

HHG!

^^I agree with Kini...as my hair has grown from chin length, I don't even realize its gotten longer. Other people can tell, but I can't. When you have it, you know what to do with it. I can't imagine going from my current length to waist length overnight...then I think I'd have a problem :look:

OMG, that is my dream! I can't wait for the day when my hair is long enough to make a long braid, be done with it, and still feel cute! I imagine this being my staple style when I reach MBL:yep:. I definitely think styling will be easier for me with longer hair. I just imagine how much better my low/no-manipulation styles (buns, braidouts, flexirod sets, etc.) will look on long hair.

Being natural 4a/b, I thought long hair would be too much to handle too. For that reason (among others) I started changing my mind about growing my hair to WL. But not anymore.:grin:

I'm learning that my hair IS getting easier to deal with as it gets longer. Like Kbluff was saying, I can wear a messy hair style or rock a BAA and still feel cute. Long story short, I'm loving my hair and can't WAIT to get to WL.

Long hair don't care baby!:yay:

ITA. When I had short hair I had to curl it and gel it down just about every day for it to look like anything. My daily grooming increased to about 15 to 30 min. more per day. Now I can put it in a sassy ponytail or classy bun in minutes. I have so many options available to me. When it was short I was basically limited to wearing it in the style of the cut. I enjoy caring for it now that it is longer. I never want short hair again. :nono:

After being on this forum a while people forget - NOT EVERYONE WANTS LONG HAIR. I want longer hair but don't want waist or longer. I have some friends who actually cut their hair because they don't want longer hair. I have a cousin who shaves her head because she saids it's liberating not to have to deal with hair. (She been doing that for 10 or more years and had long hair at one point)

Yes, there are a lot of people who wear weaves, not just for the longer hair, some wear it for thicker hair, some wear them just so they don't have to deal with their own hair, and some use them as protective styles but the majority of those who weave just aren't patience or practical enough to grow their own hair. Some people just don't know how and others don't want to take the time.

Sometimes we (on the forum) seem to forget, not every Black female wants long hair.

I'm looking forward to BSL which is actually long for me and I welcome any problems that may come along with that length. But really, I don't foresee the length being a problem to handle because I will have so many options for styling. I think too, by the time I reach that length I will have gained so much more practice and knowledge handling my hair that it will be a breeze.

OT: LadyLibra your hair is beautiful in your avatar!

Honey, that's when you hire someone to flat iron it for you! :grin:
I think any Black Woman that makes it to tailbone length should wear it as if she's at a sit in, protesting against the stereotype that "our hair" can't grow past a certain length. Oh and proudly stating "Naw, it ain't a weave!"

It's really up to the individual and their lifestyle. I was TWA and wash & go for over a decade. I look at all the LHCF women that have mid-back to tailbone length and their regimens are pretty straight forward and moisturization is in full effect. Maybe if I took the time that they did on my locks, I could boldly make timelines for growth, but I don't and that's my bad! Oh, did I mention I was initally lazy when it came to my hair. I mean we're talkin 'bout a former shampoo & conditioner, that's it I'm done kind of a user! LOL!

After being on this forum a while people forget - NOT EVERYONE WANTS LONG HAIR. I want longer hair but don't want waist or longer. I have some friends who actually cut their hair because they don't want longer hair. I have a cousin who shaves her head because she saids it's liberating not to have to deal with hair. (She been doing that for 10 or more years and had long hair at one point)
Yes, there are a lot of people who wear weaves, not just for the longer hair, some wear it for thicker hair, some wear them just so they don't have to deal with their own hair, and some use them as protective styles but the majority of those who weave just aren't patience or practical enough to grow their own hair. Some people just don't know how and others don't want to take the time.

Sometimes we (on the forum) seem to forget, not every Black female wants long hair.

As someone told me before....."Tell em' why you mad Diamond!":lachen::lachen:

Except they said my name instead of Diamond.:grin:

[/quote]Honey, that's when you hire someone to flat iron it for you! :grin:
I think any Black Woman that makes it to tailbone length should wear it as if she's at a sit in, protesting against the stereotype that "our hair" can't grow past a certain length. Oh and proudly stating "Naw, it ain't a weave!"

It's really up to the individual and their lifestyle. I was TWA and wash & go for over a decade. I look at all the LHCF women that have mid-back to tailbone length and their regimens are pretty straight forward and moisturization is in full effect. Maybe if I took the time that they did on my locks, I could boldly make timelines for growth, but I don't and that's my bad! Oh, did I mention I was initally lazy when it came to my hair. I mean we're talkin 'bout a former shampoo & conditioner, that's it I'm done kind of a user! LOL![/quote]

No, it's not when someone else flat irons. My hair is thick, and I can't imagine flat ironing with long hair. It takes me and 1h to 1hr and half to flat iron my hair. All of that reaching and pulling with long hair would be a hassle to me. Yeah, it would be nice to be a natural with waist length hair, but I personally find my hair in its natural state hard to manage. Besdies, my hair would take FOREVER just to get SL if I went natural. Do you watch the Daily 10? I believe her name is Amanda. Her hair is soooo beautiful, natural, and MID BACK! You should check it out. It might be inspiration to you and others with natural long hair goals.

Last edited:

But i don't get it...this is the LONG hair care forum. Of course the majority of us are in defense of length..its why were here. Maybe this thread would be better suited on a General hair care board?

But i don't get it...this is the LONG hair care forum. Of course the majority of us are in defense of length..its why were here. Maybe this thread would be better suited on a General hair care board?

I agree. If I did not want long hair I certainly wouldn't waste my time on this forum. I am grateful to all of the women with long hair who graciously shared thier knowledge.

I agree. If I did not want long hair I certainly wouldn't waste my time on this forum. I am grateful to all of the women with long hair who graciously shared thier knowledge.

ITA, Yellowflowers:yep:. The info on this website is helping me tremendously to get closer to my goal of waist length. i too am very grateful.

Back