SULFUR CHALLENGE 2012

I quit last year, but this year I will complete the challenge!

Starting Length: As of today a little longer MBL
Projected/Goal Length for December 2012: Full and healthy WL
Regimen: Cowash 4-5 times a week, apply sulfur daily
Method of Sulfur Application: Topical
Other Growth Aids: None
Starting Pic (optional):

How often on average is applying their sulfur mixtures and at what percentage amount would you say you are using (sulfur)

How often on average is applying their sulfur mixtures and at what percentage amount would you say you are using (sulfur)

I use Njoys recipe...1 heaping teaspoon of sulfur powder to 8 oz of a blend of carrier oils, essential oils, JBCO, etc... I apply my mix 3 times per week m/w/f but next month I will increase it to 4 times. Actually I was giving my scalp a chance to get used to it. So I think I should be good now.

I just applied my sulfur mix to my scalp, I believe the last time i applied it was on saturday. I need to do better, I am also tired of bunning and straight hair so I think I will be switching to twist and twist outs for a while.

Rubbed some Rosemary pomade on my edges & Applied HairTrigger on the rest of my scalp...

Happy Hair Growing!

I have my sulfur/jbco mix on my scalp and over that is Chicoro's moisture-drenched prepoo which I will be keeping on my hair for about 1-2 hours. I will follow up with a mild shampoo - possibly KeraCare Hydrating and Detangling shampoo.

Then I will pour some Black tea/caffeine powder rinse over my hair and scalp, massage for a few minutes and on top of that I will add a deep protien treatment (KeraCare Restorative Mask) for 20 minutes. I will deep moisture condition with KeraCare Creme Humecto.

I want to also do the LOC (liquid, oil,cream) method for moisturizing and sealing. After that, I will GHE baggy overnight with this so my hair should be super happy in the morning

I love your sew in! I want to start doing my own sew ins. Any tips?

I did get my sulfur. I am now waiting for the other stuff to put in my mix . Until then I am using MTG. On the edge, which is a target area for me. I had a dry patch a while back and had skin that would just flake off along with hair. So I am nursing my left edge back. It is about the size of a nickel. Weird stuff started happening with me in my thirties. Anywho, I am just putting a pic in where I did flat iron. But probably won't do it again til June just for a length check. Around here that would be all it is for due to humidity.
4bb82864-3014-715a.jpg
4bb82864-3038-a3f0.jpg
4bb82864-308d-6617.jpg
the curly pic is my sew in I did last night.

Count me in. :grin:

Starting Length: the teeniest of weeny afros
Projected/Goal Length for December 2012: a bigger TWA...lol. I hope to retain at least 5" of growth all around.
Regimen: GHE/baggy under wigs. Cowash 1-2x/week. DC 1x/week. Shampoo/henna 1x/month. Finger combing only (at least) until June 30 progress check.
Method of Sulfur Application: sulfur mix* scalp massage 2x/week (Tues & Fri) to start...may add Sunday night later, provided all goes well
Other Growth Aids: daily prenatal multivitamin...plus attempting to eat/sleep better and exercise
Starting Pic (optional): See avi. Comparison shots will be provided at progress checks.

*ingredients (proportions courtesy of NJoy):

1 heaping tsp sublimed sulfur
4 oz jojoba oil
2 oz JBCO
2 oz grapeseed oil
4-5 drops rosemary EO
4-5 drops peppermint EO

Last edited:
This month has come to an end....Sulfur treatments were successful. I had very minimal itching from it. The biggest problem may have been how the oil seeps out and my pillow cases get a litte stained. I will use special pillow and pillow cases for those nights only. Also I fold up a papertowel and place it at the base of my neck under the baggie then tie it all down. It seems to minimize any seeping (sp?)...I had No burning like the last time when I used a mixture that I bought from a seller here. So far this feels good. I am doing longer head massages while treating.

I will take my month ending pic tonight and post... February begins 4 sulfur nights and ghe in between but I will not baggie my head 7 days per week. Something scares me about that...unless anyone on here has had success with it...I dunno...I'll see.

eta: I hate when I have to scroll side to side just to read posts due to large pics... :look:

Last edited:
Moisturized my hair with Pure (hair Milk),Donna Marie (Super butter cream) & sealed with rice bran......RUBBED ROSEMARY POMADE ON EDGES....HairTrigger on the rest of my scalp....

Happy Hair Growing!

I have been using my sulfur everynight and baggying. LOL, I hugged my friend today and left a greasy patch on her face! LOL.

I got my sew in finally and because of the curls cant even tell I have greasy weave, unless I hug you!!!

Happy Hair Growing!!

Ok, I just applied my sulfur mix.

I also twisted my hair lastnight with taliah wajid(?) curly cream. So far my hair feels really moisturized and hopefully when I take them out tomorrow my twistout will be defined.

I am thinking about joining this challenge, but I have a question. What is the best already made sulfur mix available? I havent used a mix in years since BT was all the rage, but now there seems to be plenty of choices, I want something that preferably doesnt smell bad but is still effective if thats possible. Thanks in advance

I'm so excited!! I just received my sulfur powder yesterday and made my sulfur mix with: Sulfur, EVOO, JBCO, Jojoba Oil and peppermint EO...I love the Peppermint scent! I did my first application last night and thoroughly massaged my scalp and then GHE overnight. I wanna feel this scalp tingling thing I'm hearing about but it's not there, oh well! I was previously using Sulfur 8 on my hairline until my sulfur powder arrived. Aside from last night, I will apply my mix tonight and then every other night after that. Now I can't wait to relax my hair in 7 weeks!

I'm so excited!! I just received my sulfur powder yesterday and made my sulfur mix with: Sulfur, EVOO, JBCO, Jojoba Oil and peppermint EO...I love the Peppermint scent! I did my first application last night and thoroughly massaged my scalp and then GHE overnight. I wanna feel this scalp tingling thing I'm hearing about but it's not there, oh well! I was previously using Sulfur 8 on my hairline until my sulfur powder arrived. Aside from last night, I will apply my mix tonight and then every other night after that. Now I can't wait to relax my hair in 7 weeks!

I find that I dont feel that tingle either and I use peppermint, rosemary and sage essential oils in mine. I even applied a few more drops of peppermint oil in my second batch...still no sensation. So I assume that one of the other ingredients (maybe the sulfur) some how cancels it out.

Did my Sulfur treatment last night...gonna workout now before washing out. Thinking about how I'm gonna go about this next week when fh is home (off) for the week. *sigh*

I still haven't made my batch as yet because I'm afraid of smelling like a plate of egg salad

:lol: What ever your batch will smell like, it will only be over night as you will co wash in the mornings. If you plan on going the rest of the day like that...well then it's whatever.

Back