Stretching - How long is TOO long?

:lachen::lachen:Girl, what is up with that man in your siggy....
I am reading this thread and looked ...2 funny

longest i ever stretched was 12 weeks, and that was with braids, so my new growth was somewhat contained, lol

right now i'm 9 weeks post, and i've got over an inch of new growth + the underprocessed new growth from last relaxer that didn't get straight enough, so i'll be relaxing next week because i'm tired of having 3 textures of hair (from the root = springy 4a coils, after coils = bushy but soft supertexlaxed hair, after that = straight perfectly processed relaxed hair)

I agree that everyone is different--what works for one may not ever work for another.

I started out stretching my 4b hair for the first time on this board. 13 weeks used to be the longest stretch. After seeing inspirations like Sylver2 easily stretch over 26 weeks I learned what is possible. Now I can easily stretch over 21 weeks with no shedding or breakage of any kind. The key is how we care for the two textures. For some, there may not be such a thing as stretching too long.

IMO anything between 6-8 weeks is not stretching. I thought that was the minimum amount of time to wait before touching up again.
I use to relax religiously every 6 weeks. If i waited any longer my hair started shedding and tangling & breaking off. I didn't know how to care for the two textures.
My hair started breaking off due to overprocessing and forced me to go into a nurture mode..no more relaxers for awhile. I 'had' to take the time and learn how to do that..to stretch.
Yes it was very very time consuming..but the best thing ever for my hair. I found the right products doing this and the right regimen. Now my hair takes the least amount of time and has grown the longest its ever been.
*I just don't think there is a TOO long. Its how we are able to care for it

The others were right, in that it depends on the person. Some manage to stretch for lengthy periods of time, others don't.

I think one can stretch indefinately ... think of those who transition without ever BC'ing. Now that's a LONG stretch :grin: I think with the right products, hair care techniques and patience anything is possible.

Girl, My hair seriously broke the #@#$ off in the back middle!!!! I was really happy with my hair progress, and so upset. I strecthed for 9 weeks, but my hair was underprocessed to begin with. I don't know what the hell happened!

When I tried my first stretch I was able to make it to 12 weeks with a small amount of breakage. I think I had the breakage due to not properly taking care of both textures. I found that I was favoring my new growth and my relaxed hair was not being taken care of. I also was a bit rough with my hair so that didn't help. I am now on a 6 month stretch, (currently 13 weeks post) and I am getting through this stretch with a breeze and no breakage at all. I have to say that I have learned so much and I have been balancing moisture and protein. I moisturize/seal twice daily a baggy my ends almost every night. I now have kinky twists installed and have incorporated the C&G technique amd it is still working out. After this stretch I will see how my hair reacts and if all is well I will continue my 6 month stretch intervals. If there are any problems after I remove the twists I will go back to my 12 weeks stretching. I really love my new growth right now and it is tempting me to go natural. :look::yep:

I don't think there is a such thing as too long. I think the key is finding the right products and methods (or regimen). The only time I comb through my new growth is if it's straight or with the right conditioner under running water (shower). Trying to comb my curly new growth and relaxed bone straight hair is asking for major breakage, for me. I'm 17 weeks post now and having fun with my new growth.:yep:

could someone answer this for me?
I think the point of stretching is to allow the new growth a chance to grow long enough to see the difference between it and already relaxed hair to prevent overlap. Preventing overlap will reduce overprocessing, too straight hair, thin hair, breakage, and dryness. Plus it gives us a chance to see our real texture, promotes independence from stylists by not having to see them as often, and saves us $$$.

I think the point of stretching is to allow the new growth a chance to grow long enough to see the difference between it and already relaxed hair to prevent overlap. Preventing overlap will reduce overprocessing, too straight hair, thin hair, breakage, and dryness. Plus it gives us a chance to see our real texture, promotes independence from stylists by not having to see them as often, and saves us $$$.

:clap: GREAT ANSWER! my goodness that should go in some sort of LHCF definition book. :yep:

Back