Straight Hair Natural's Support Thread

Was going to flat iron this weekend but the weather has been so ugly here in Cali this last week. While the rest of the US is experiencing winter and getting ice and snow, our winter here consists of gloomy skies and rain. It normally happens from Feb to March so I'll try to get a flat iron in around April. I'll have to sit out again after that cause summer time consists of beach outings or pool parties with the kids....oh the woes of trying to swing straight hair while being natural. lol

Flat ironed today!!
12939080063_c9577e3080.jpg

lulu97 Not sure if you already posted it somewhere, but can you share your review on the Babyliss pro flat iron? Thanks!!

AgeinATL

Sure! I don't know if it would be a fair review since I've only used it once and only used it on my roots. I've found that I can get my hair pretty straight with a saran wrap rollerset (only flat ironing the roots) so I haven't used it on my length nor ends. But what I can say is that this iron just glides down the hair...I mean no snags whatsoever. It almost feels like your not even flat ironing because it glides so smooth! I used it on 340 and it got my roots pretty straight too. Oh and I used 2 passes.

Pic 1: right after taking down my rollers, flat ironing the roots, finger combing the curls and wrapping

Pic 2: the results after removing the saran wrap

Last edited:
@AgeinATL

Sure! I don't know if it would be a fair review since I've only used it once and only used it on my roots. I've found that I can get my hair pretty straight with a saran wrap rollerset (only flat ironing the roots) so I haven't used it on my length nor ends. But what I can say is that this iron just glides down the hair...I mean no snags whatsoever. It almost feels like your not even flat ironing because it glides so smooth! I used it on 340 and it got my roots pretty straight too. Oh and I used 2 passes.

Pic 1: right after taking down my rollers, flat ironing the roots, finger combing the curls and wrapping

Pic 2: the results after removing the saran wrap

Thank you SO much for sharing your thoughts. Please post an update once you have used it on the length of your hair. Thanks again!

Ladies what are yall using to moisturize your straight hair? Im all out of garnier sleek and shine leave in and I want to try something else.

Ladies what are yall using to moisturize your straight hair? Im all out of garnier sleek and shine leave in and I want to try something else.

I never use anything anymore. My hair does better if I don't. I deep condition it well beforehand and then leave it alone. (After a few days the natural oil takes care of it for me)

If My hair looks Like it needs something I would use L'oreal everstrong overnight hair repair treatment. It's light and not greasy at all.

Last edited:
Thanks Havi. I usually dont need any kind of mousturizer until the second week. After week 2 it gets weighed down and I wear braidouts or buns until my next wash day

are there any fine hair ladies in here that always wear their hair straight?

im relaxed since 4 months and kinda lost. i dont know if i will stay relaxed.

i might just transition but i want to wear straight hair.

lulu97 I picked up the It's a 10 keratin leave in yesterday and used it to detangle before straightening. WOW! You were not exaggerating about this stuff. It helped detangle my hair like nothing else. It also made my straight hair smoother, shinier, and it feels stronger. I love this stuff!:love:

I just bought some of the regular kind today, I can't wait to take these braids out and give this product a try. Hopefully this will help with my rollersetting I'm trying to phase out the blow dryer.

Grapeseed or sweet almond oil on the ends only. Any real moisturizer will revert my hair.

Kinky Curly Knot Today Leave-In has no water in it and does not cause reversion. I section my flat ironed hair with that every other night and seal with coconut oil. These two products are staples when I wear my hair flat ironed.

are there any fine hair ladies in here that always wear their hair straight?

im relaxed since 4 months and kinda lost. i dont know if i will stay relaxed.

i might just transition but i want to wear straight hair.

I have fine hair and wear my hair straight -- more than I should. Sometimes my hair looks thin if I wear it too straight so I try to flat iron it in directions that make my hair look as though it has volume and thickness :yep:

I have fine hair and wear my hair straight -- more than I should. Sometimes my hair looks thin if I wear it too straight so I try to flat iron it in directions that make my hair look as though it has volume and thickness :yep:

when i was natural i used to wear it a bit fluffy after flat ironing (it had volume like that). or when i roller setted it was nice and bouncy.

now im relaxed and i dont know if i should stay relaxed or go back natural but keep hair straight ( i only did ly virgin relaxer 4 months ago).

im in a situation where im confused and dont know what to do anymore. i should maybe think of a weave :-/

Kinky Curly Knot Today Leave-In has no water in it and does not cause reversion. I section my flat ironed hair with that every other night and seal with coconut oil. These two products are staples when I wear my hair flat ironed.

I absolutely HATE coconut oil. It's so heavy on my hair.

Why when I go the Dominicans my hair looks and feels moisturized? They blowdry, flat iron....

At home... My ends are dry dry dry. I air dry and then blowdry. No flat iron.

What the hell am I doing wrong?

Frustrated.com

I keep wondering if there are any ladies in the type 4 category that have successfully grown their hair while using heat. Majority of the ladies I see that are straight haired naturals with long hair appear to be in the type 3 category.

I keep wondering if there are any ladies in the type 4 category that have successfully grown their hair while using heat. Majority of the ladies I see that are straight haired naturals with long hair appear to be in the type 3 category.

im 4b mostly and went up to bsb. my hair started retaining only When instarted using heat (i used to blow dry on tension method and flat iron rairely). but it worked well for me as long as i dusted on a regular base.

no im relaxed. but if i do transition again i will use heat again wisely.

im 4b mostly and went up to bsb. my hair started retaining only When instarted using heat (i used to blow dry on tension method and flat iron rairely). but it worked well for me as long as i dusted on a regular base.

no im relaxed. but if i do transition again i will use heat again wisely.

I agree---I have mostly 4A strands and my hair is the longest it has ever been and I was flat ironing as much as twice a month (I had to stop due to suspected heat damage though). I've noticed since I haven't been flat ironing much that my new growth gets tangled and breaks off.

when i was natural i used to wear it a bit fluffy after flat ironing (it had volume like that). or when i roller setted it was nice and bouncy.

now im relaxed and i dont know if i should stay relaxed or go back natural but keep hair straight ( i only did ly virgin relaxer 4 months ago).

im in a situation where im confused and dont know what to do anymore. i should maybe think of a weave :-/

I'm in the opposite but similar boat. I've been natural for 5 years, but I'm sick of not being about to wear my hair straight without it reverting at the slightest hint of moisture in the air. I'm thinking about relaxing, but I can't imagine going back to that routine. Decisions, decisions :spinning:.

mz.rae check out Alicia James http://youtu.be/Ohhqlc1btI4 She appears to be a 4 and grew her hair to waist length using heat. She's had a setback recently but that was because of moving to a wash n go routine last year so now she's in braids/twists. I'm going to try her method of air drying and then flat ironing on low. What I've been doing is blow drying using the tension method and occasionally flat ironing. Alicia moved to air dry then flat iron because she felt like her hair retained more moisture this way.

Also, I noticed that I can flat iron effectively on low as long as I'm doing really thin/small sections. Last week I tried it and its still straight now even though I workout aggressively 4-5 times a week.

mz.rae check out Alicia James http://youtu.be/Ohhqlc1btI4 She appears to be a 4 and grew her hair to waist length using heat. She's had a setback recently but that was because of moving to a wash n go routine last year so now she's in braids/twists. I'm going to try her method of air drying and then flat ironing on low. What I've been doing is blow drying using the tension method and occasionally flat ironing. Alicia moved to air dry then flat iron because she felt like her hair retained more moisture this way.

Also, I noticed that I can flat iron effectively on low as long as I'm doing really thin/small sections. Last week I tried it and its still straight now even though I workout aggressively 4-5 times a week.

Thank you so much I am going to go check out her channel!! I'm hoping this will work for me because I really don't want to go back to relaxing.

I just watched a bunch of alicia james and longhairdontcare videos. I like the fact that they use heat responsibly and have such beautiful hair.

I like the fact that they use heat responsibly and have such beautiful hair.

Exactly, this shows us it can be done. It's all about technique. When I'm done transitioning I will likely wear my hair straight 80% of the time. In the mean time I'll be perfecting my technique because I'm experiencing better success transitioning with it than without.

A side note - before relaxing I want to say about18 months ago now I was trying to be a straight hair natural. Even though I was gaining length I actually damaged my hair, I had crazy splits and feathering from using high heat. Now I see the error of my ways!!! Hind sight is 20/20! This time I'm better informed and so better prepared to do it the right way.

Back