Straight Hair Natural's Support Thread

I'm experiencing a bit of breakage but I have no time to correct it!
Off to a cheer competition tomorrow so my hair has to be bone straight (or as straight as possible). Any tips?

Shampoo your hair and do a protein dc followed by a mousturizing dc. Then blowdry and flatiron it

Nefertiti0906

Sorry I'm not sure what could be causing the problem! I agree with clarifying and maybe switching to a leave-in with less protein, especially if you're not using direct heat on each wash.

So I tested a section using the Titanium flat iron I bought last week. And I really liked how that section turned out! It felt really soft and silky with a lot of shine compared to the ceramic flat irons I've used. I spritzed the section with water to see if it would revert back and it did. I wish I took some pictures of the section, cant wait to try this out on my whole head! Anyways I am trying to develop a regimen and stick to it consistently. Here is what I plan on doing:
Do heat uses every other week

Apply Tea Tree Oil to my scalp leave on for 30 minutes
While Tea Tree Oil is on my scalp, apply Ion Repair Solutions Reconstructor on dry hair for 30 minutes sit under the heating cap
Wash with Creme of Nature Argan Oil Shampoo or Kera Care Hydrating Detangling shampoo
DC for 45 minutes using heat with either ORS Replenishing Conditioner, Kera Care Humecto, or Redken Silk Treatment Conditioner
Detangle hair in the shower under running water
Put hair in four sections apply It's a 10 leave in and GVP Silk Remedy and comb through each section
I will either rollerset using magnetic rollers or curlformers or I will just blow dry my hair
Flat iron my hair and either wrap it, pin curl, or use flexi rods
Apply oil or serum as needed during the week
Clarify once a month

Last edited:
Help ladies!!!!

I have been mostly blow drying then flat ironing for the past year...and it's been great. However, my hair has become more dense and increasingly difficult to blow dry.

I want to go back roller setting and the flatironing like I used to when I was transitioning.

Does anybody have that routine?

Update:
I started reading the old posts in this thread and found mine from 2 years ago (before i chopped) so I started back with my roller sets :grin: but my flat iron is dying.

Instead of washing every week, I'm gonna do it every 10 - 12 days

Last edited:
So I tested a section using the Titanium flat iron I bought last week. And I really liked how that section turned out! It felt really soft and silky with a lot of shine compared to the ceramic flat irons I've used. I spritzed the section with water to see if it would revert back and it did. I wish I took some pictures of the section, cant wait to try this out on my whole head! Anyways I am trying to develop a regimen and stick to it consistently. Here is what I plan on doing:
Do heat uses every other week

Apply Tea Tree Oil to my scalp leave on for 30 minutes
While Tea Tree Oil is on my scalp, apply Ion Repair Solutions Reconstructor on dry hair for 30 minutes sit under the heating cap
Wash with Creme of Nature Argan Oil Shampoo or Kera Care Hydrating Detangling shampoo
DC for 45 minutes using heat with either ORS Replenishing Conditioner, Kera Care Humecto, or Redken Silk Treatment Conditioner
Detangle hair in the shower under running water
Put hair in four sections apply It's a 10 leave in and GVP Silk Remedy and comb through each section
I will either rollerset using magnetic rollers or curlformers or I will just blow dry my hair
Flat iron my hair and either wrap it, pin curl, or use flexi rods
Apply oil or serum as needed during the week
Clarify once a month

I'm glad it worked out for you. :yep:

Due to my strenuous workout regimen I wont be able to straighten my hair until June. When i get my hair done next time Im taking a 2 week gym vacation until my hair naturally reverts. This last blowout barely lasted a week. What a waste of money:sad:

Got my first blowout today since being natural. Got a thorough trim too. lost about 2.5 inches overall due to damage but overall I'm happy with the results. This was my first professional trim since going natural in October of 2012.

Got my first blowout today since being natural. Got a thorough trim too. lost about 2.5 inches overall due to damage but overall I'm happy with the results. This was my first professional trim since going natural in October of 2012.
Do you have pics? U know we love pics round here:yep:

ForumRunner_20140412_173829.jpg
Went to the salon today and got my hair hot combed and curled with a flat iron. It's been years since I have gotten my hair hot combed professionally, I really like the results. I also got my ends trimmed and some bangs cut. For some reason I always love to get my bangs cut I'm not sure why.

View attachment 254563
Went to the salon today and got my hair hot combed and curled with a flat iron. It's been years since I have gotten my hair hot combed professionally, I really like the results. I also got my ends trimmed and some bangs cut. For some reason I always love to get my bangs cut I'm not sure why.

Wow they did a good job. I wish I knew how to use a hot comb. I can get my roots pretty good with the flat iron I have now but it's still not the same as when I got my roots pressed out at the salon once.

I used the Wen Orange Blossom Replenishing Mist and it did NOT make my hair revert!!! Can anybody suggest another type of hair refresher that will allow my hair to remain straight?

This may sound weird, but I found a brush that I haven't used in years since the first time around I was natural. And out of curiosity I was wondering how strong my natural hair was back then was compared to now. Because I always felt like my natural hair was way stronger than my relaxed hair, but this time around it wasn't seeming the case. Anyway I tested some hair in the brush and indeed my hair was way stronger back then! Now mind you my hair practices back then sucked! I was a straight hair natural back then, but I only got my hair washed once a month at the salon when I would get my hair pressed. And I was very anal about my hair staying straight so everytime my hair or edges went back I would flat iron it again. I would attempt to wash my hair on my own but didn't know much about deep conditioning. I would rip through my hair with the blow dryer and put globs of grease on my hair during the flat iron process and could literally see the grease melting down my hair shaft. Surprisingly I had no heat damage, my edges were fine, and my hair wasn't in bad shape I just remained stuck at armpit length. It's just weird to me how much my hair could withstand back then, I wouldn't dare try that one my hair now because I know better. But I noticed with my hair less is better, the less I do with it the better it does. So maybe I will go back to washing less frequently and using heat will help with that. So instead of washing my hair once a week I will do maybe every two or three weeks doing my heat regimen. I'm a little pass armpit length now so hopefully I can get to bra strap length over the summer.

This may sound weird, but I found a brush that I haven't used in years since the first time around I was natural. And out of curiosity I was wondering how strong my natural hair was back then was compared to now. Because I always felt like my natural hair was way stronger than my relaxed hair, but this time around it wasn't seeming the case. Anyway I tested some hair in the brush and indeed my hair was way stronger back then! Now mind you my hair practices back then sucked! I was a straight hair natural back then, but I only got my hair washed once a month at the salon when I would get my hair pressed. And I was very anal about my hair staying straight so everytime my hair or edges went back I would flat iron it again. I would attempt to wash my hair on my own but didn't know much about deep conditioning. I would rip through my hair with the blow dryer and put globs of grease on my hair during the flat iron process and could literally see the grease melting down my hair shaft. Surprisingly I had no heat damage, my edges were fine, and my hair wasn't in bad shape I just remained stuck at armpit length. It's just weird to me how much my hair could withstand back then, I wouldn't dare try that one my hair now because I know better. But I noticed with my hair less is better, the less I do with it the better it does. So maybe I will go back to washing less frequently and using heat will help with that. So instead of washing my hair once a week I will do maybe every two or three weeks doing my heat regimen. I'm a little pass armpit length now so hopefully I can get to bra strap length over the summer.

I think you're right about leaving the hair alone. I think afro type hair in general does better when left alone as much as possible. The main reason I keep my hair straight is to avoid SSKs which always cause tangles, breakage and length reduction. I used to flat iron weekly (I think that was too much for me) and now it's every other week. So now I flat iron and mostly throw it in a bun and sometimes I wear it down on weekends. I keep it this way for 2 weeks. If parts revert a bit I just live with it. The reverted parts won't get straightened until it's time to wash and do it all over again. I don't do touch ups. This is working out well for me because really the only heavy manipulation is done twice a month. The other days I'm lightly finger combing and smoothing with my hands.

Last edited:
Hair back in 2007 when I was a straightened natural, a few days after the salon. Wasn't in that bad of shape given my horrible hair practices back then. I would say this is about the length I am at currently.

IMG_292625378389482-1.jpg

Think it's time to protein and either blow out or flat iron. Want it straightish for Easter just because.
If I can keep it from reverting I will straighten more often. Usually I get four days before it poofs.

These ladies all inspire and show me that it is possible to be a straight hair natural and have long hair. I have seen all these women in real life and it is gorgeous! Not sure their regimens, (though I know two of them are transitioning) or hair types though I think two of them are in the 3s. Can't wait for my hair to be this length again! I'm still on the search for type 4s that straighten their hair bone straight on a regular basis.

PicsArt_1398095763731.jpg

Attachments

• PicsArt_1398095677691.jpg
    PicsArt_1398095677691.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 202
  • PicsArt_1398095621078.jpg
    PicsArt_1398095621078.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 173
  • PicsArt_1398095557135.jpg
    PicsArt_1398095557135.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 182
These ladies all inspire and show me that it is possible to be a straight hair natural and have long hair. I have seen all these women in real life and it is gorgeous! Not sure their regimens, (though I know two of them are transitioning) or hair types though I think two of them are in the 3s. Can't wait for my hair to be this length again! I'm still on the search for type 4s that straighten their hair bone straight on a regular basis.

View attachment 256025

Yes, I'd like to find some as well.:yep:

Last edited:

View attachment 256025

mz.rae do you know their regimens? How often do they use heat? Is their curl pattern still in tact or do they wear their hair straight mostly? Once I'm fully natural I would like to get my hair flat ironed monthly at the salon. I just have to find the right stylist that will not give me heat damage. I'm not always going to want to wear my hair in kinky styles. I want the versatility to wear it straight and silky also.

mz.rae do you know their regimens? How often do they use heat? Is their curl pattern still in tact or do they wear their hair straight mostly? Once I'm fully natural I would like to get my hair flat ironed monthly at the salon. I just have to find the right stylist that will not give me heat damage. I'm not always going to want to wear my hair in kinky styles. I want the versatility to wear it straight and silky also.

This is the only picture I could find of their hair in its natural state. I will have to ask what their regimen is as I don't know. They seem to wear their hair straight most of the time, with a wavy texlaxed hair look every once in awhile which could be due to heat damage I'm not sure I do believe their hair type is to be in the 3s. I know the one pictured frequents the salon. I'm not sure how much of their hair is contributed to regimen versus it just being genetic. Their mom has long hair as well, and I went to high school with their sister and she always had long relaxed hair. There was only one sister whose hair didn't get as long as theirs for whatever reason. But I do remember the sister I went to high school with that did give a step by step regimen for her relaxed hair I don't exactly remember what it was.

PicsArt_1398179386308.jpg

Last edited:
My hair resembles that ^^ in it's natural state due to heat damage. I'm fine with it during the colder months. During the summer it annoys me. Excuse the dirty mirror.

image-3057697261.jpg

My hair resembles that ^^ in it's natural state due to heat damage. I'm fine with it during the colder months. During the summer it annoys me. Excuse the dirty mirror.

Your hair is gorgeous!!! How often do you straighten? What's your regimen?

Your hair is gorgeous!!! How often do you straighten? What's your regimen?
Thanks. I straighten every 7-10 days. Wash & condition with trader joes spa nourish. I use aphogee 2 min in the shower & I'll mix the TJ conditioner with it. Put on a shower cap for 15 mins. I've recently started doing black tea rinses to combat some shedding.

I use Salerm leave in, chi heat guard & the pink fantasia serum. I blow dry on warm heat, high blow with a denman like brush in small sections. Then flat iron between 302 & 370 using the comb chase method. If I'm going for bone straight I use 370. I have a revlon handheld & Hana professional flat iron.

My regimen is simple.

when natural my hair raved only when i started using heat ( i would blow dry tension method), use fantasia heat serum (pink one ), it made mu hair sooo soft. dusting..
that took me to bsb.
then bad breakage at crown (buns at same arra for months), is got pissed at everything and relaxed last november.....

here i am again. i am stretching so long that i might just transition back....

View attachment 256199

Thanks. I straighten every 7-10 days. Wash & condition with trader joes spa nourish. I use aphogee 2 min in the shower & I'll mix the TJ conditioner with it. Put on a shower cap for 15 mins. I've recently started doing black tea rinses to combat some shedding.

I use Salerm leave in, chi heat guard & the pink fantasia serum. I blow dry on warm heat, high blow with a denman like brush in small sections. Then flat iron between 302 & 370 using the comb chase method. If I'm going for bone straight I use 370. I have a revlon handheld & Hana professional flat iron.

My regimen is simple.

Your hair is gorgeous :love: !! And it still looks like you have texture and curl to it. How do you wear in the summertime? Do you ever do twist outs/braid outs? How long have your been natural? Looks like a few years, you have a lot of length.

Back