Steve Harvey's Opinion about Natural Hair

DozenRoses99

Did anyone else hear Steve Harvey's opinion about natural hair this morning (Monday 10/22/07) on his morning show? They were talking about the person who won the award for the best hair salon at the Hoodie Awards. He said that the winner mentioned that she only does natural hair, no chemicals whatsoever. Steve said that natural hair is not for everyone. He then said that if you have been getting relaxers/perms for 30 years that you don't need to stop getting them and go natural because it is not everybody. I don't remember the exact wording, but that was pretty much the gist from what I remember. Not saying that he is right or wrong, just another opinion about natural hair that I thought was interesting.

I think that is just part of his "shtick" as a comedian. Or else he was just being "simple". I wouldn't take it serious at all.

I think a lot of uninformed people think this way. How can the way that my hair naturally grows not be for me?:perplexed It may not be what i want to deal with, and nuture, but to say I can't wear the style...IMO that's silly:rolleyes:.

I think he was mainly talking about the upkeep of natural hair. Saying that you may not be used to it if you've been wearing relaxers for a long time.

I think Steve Harvey is very funny but he takes a very "old school" approach on many things. I find that people like him tend to appreciate the conformist approach to things. IMO our diversity and abilities to create different styles is what makes us unique. I have seen many "mature" women with natural styles such as dreadlocks and afros and if if anything it makes them look very regal. Once I hit 50 my plan is to cut all my hair and go platinum!! :grin:

That is one man's opinion...I wished that were true...like I said in an earlier post...I get just as many geniune positive comments on my natural hair as I do negative stares or comments...Macon,Georgia is about an hour south of Atlanta and people were used to my shoulder and below length RELAXED hair. I love the freedom and as we know everybody's natural texture is NOT the same. I just hate it when everybody think that if you look different from the majority...you are not attractive. I wished those ladies that say I wished I had the nerve ....would just do it!!!!!! Most people are intelligent enough not to negatively comment...oh but the STARES!!!!!!! I just smile and keep Strutting in all my NATURAL GLORY!!!!!!

I didn't take that comment as him saying something about naturals. I took it as saying that if people want to relax or whatever, that's ok too. Some natural folks are so fanatic about it that they assume that people who don't wear their hair natural have a problem being black. I think he was saying that how one chooses to wear ones hair is not a referendum on their blackness.

I think he was mainly talking about the upkeep of natural hair. Saying that you may not be used to it if you've been wearing relaxers for a long time.

This I agree with, because it is the reason why I have not gone natural.

I have ZERO patience with my hair and someone with my temperment would end up bald :wallbash:

So I chose to Texlax :yep:

I didn't take that comment as him saying something about naturals. I took it as saying that if people want to relax or whatever, that's ok too. Some natural folks are so fanatic about it that they assume that people who don't wear their hair natural have a problem being black. I think he was saying that how one chooses to wear ones hair is not a referendum on their blackness.

my sentiments exactly...

"not everyone can go natural" is the #1 excuse people use for NOT going natural. everyone can, not everyone wants to. jeez, it's not that real... if you don't want to, just say you don't want to! :lachen: stop all this "well it looks cute on YOU" or "well i don't have that GRADE of hair" garbage.

i don't think anyone should have to make excuses for why they want to wear their hair a certain way... who cares as long as YOU are happy at the end of the day! :yep:

I think he means that if you have nappy type 4 hair, dont go natural. I've heard his dumb comments before. He just assumes that type 4 will look bad on a woman. I do think he's ignorant, but he's just one of many who feel that way. It's not worth getting upset over.

I too agree with this!

I think he means that taking care of natural hair requires a different mindset than say taking care of relaxed hair, you cannot just wake up and say 'I'm gonna brush my hair' or comb your hair every day, and in that aspect I think he is right. Having natural hair also requires a strong personality I believe, because it's still viewed as 'the other kind of hair that needs to be hidden'.

well, he's right, not everyone is meant to be natural, they don't want to be and they aren't trying to defend it, they are happy and that's that, so where is the controversy?

Um, yea.... I don't get it. What's wrong with him stating his opinion? Not everyone wants to be natural. I sure don't. I remember how my hair was before I started getting relaxers. I don't want to go there again! More power to those that are, though...

Well I don't see anything wrong with his comment, I do agree with him although I am natural. I know a lot of people who cannot manage their relaxed hair not to speak of natural kinky/ curly, thick, tangly natural hair, shoo I know people who can't handle a curly "weave"!:ohwell:

In total agreement!:yep: and going natural may not be for everybody... and on the other side of the stream.. being relaxed isn't for everybody.

"not everyone can go natural" is the #1 excuse people use for NOT going natural. everyone can, not everyone wants to. jeez, it's not that real... if you don't want to, just say you don't want to! :lachen: stop all this "well it looks cute on YOU" or "well i don't have that GRADE of hair" garbage.

So true. It's so frustrating to hear black people spout off reasons why they can't wear natural hair or can't stop relaxing.

Did anyone else hear Steve Harvey's opinion about natural hair this morning (Monday 10/22/07) on his morning show? They were talking about the person who won the award for the best hair salon at the Hoodie Awards. He said that the winner mentioned that she only does natural hair, no chemicals whatsoever. Steve said that natural hair is not for everyone. He then said that if you have been getting relaxers/perms for 30 years that you don't need to stop getting them and go natural because it is not everybody. I don't remember the exact wording, but that was pretty much the gist from what I remember. Not saying that he is right or wrong, just another opinion about natural hair that I thought was interesting.

Steve's a simple *** southerner at heart.

I agree with him. Natural isn't for everyone but I think about natural a bit differently. For example, my legs are naturally (the way God made them) hairy. Eww! People say that hairy pits, legs, and bushy eyebrows are from God and can't be undesirable. I disagree. Had natural hair for many many years. I didn't hate it, but I recognize that just like pits, brows, and legs people have different ideas about what God made and closely they want to keep to that. Just my two cents.

You left me back at "That's a piece he's wearing".

is that true??????

Cause then i can understand why he saying what he's saying.. he may be talking from a personal point of view....

i don't think anyone should have to make excuses for why they want to wear their hair a certain way... who cares as long as YOU are happy at the end of the day! :yep:

Oh yeah. ITA! Please keep it real, and this is coming from someone who is relaxed. The hair that grows out of your scalp is for everyone. Obviously damaged relaxed hair is not for everyone... or anyone for that matter.

Back