Steaming Challenge 2012 - Part III

I have a question. Does anyone add aromatic essential oils to their steamer water? I used tea tree oil and peppermint in a water rinse after my second steaming treatment of Silk Dreams Vanilla Silk, Marie Dean Chocolate and Marie Dean Vanilla. I had added some argan oil, wheat germ oil, walnut oil and jojoba oil to my conditioner mix. It was delicious!!!!! I wanted to take a nap under there. I did that tea tree and peppermint rinse to get ride of the wheat germ smell. I was having my sengalese twists installed today and I did not want to expose the braiders to the wheat germ smell.

bajandoc86 No worries! We got you. You know I stay gettin' my Steam on, so this thread will stay on bump.:lol:

felic1 No, I've never added anything to the water.:nono: I'm afraid to mess with the water reservoir and the tubing by adding anything to it (except water).

I even had a Clay Masque and the water in the bottle had turned Reddish one time and I stopped using it (the masque).

I've heard Nay & Yay on folks Steaming their Henna in (I wouldn't try that either).

I don't want the Unit to malfunction by doing anything too 'extra' with it/to it.

I keep it simple with Distilled Water.

I steamed using AOHSR for 45 minutes. My hair loves the pampering.

felic1 I also do not add anything to the water before steaming.

I steamed today for a total of 40 minutes. I used Essentious Protein Treatment + Grapeseed oil for about 20 minutes followed by Essentious Moisture Conditioner + Grapeseed for 20 minutes.

Nichelle_jb

Hi Ladies,

I am a newbie with a question that I hope someone can answer. I am posting it in this thread because the question is about steaming... so if anyone knows the answer, hopefully one of you will!

I am a relaxed head with thin hair and a 4B curl pattern, low porosity. Recently, I have been dissatisfied with my hairdresser because she relaxes my hair bone straight, which makes it really limp and reveals how very thin my strands are. After going to her, you can usually see my scalp, which I dislike :-(. Today, I did my first self-relaxer (yaay)and LOVED the results, I left some texture in there.

Here's the thing. I did my DC using the make-shift steaming method (two cloths, two plastic caps, and a hooded dryer). I rinsed it out, added my normal leave-ins and dried 90% under the hooded dryer, then blow dried the rest on cool, then flat-ironed. My hair came out thicker than EVER, which has me pleased, but scared! I knew it would appear thicker because I did't relax completely straight, but that's not what scares me. The strands themselves look thicker- almost swollen, kinda poofy. Is that a good thing? For me, it seemed wonderful at first, because I FINALLY have the thickness I desire- but maybe there is too much moisture and thats why my strands swelled up.

I haven't experienced any breakage or anything, I'm just worried that the steamer has my hair out of balance and I'm going to wake up tomorrow to a pillow full of broken/shed hair. Am I paranoid?

I have done an LHCF and a Google search for steaming, and haven't been able to find any posts about steaming causing puffiness, so I hope you guys can help!

@Missmyssi

After Steaming, I allow my hair to cool a bit. Then I rinse out with cool water to restrict the cuticle after steaming which opens the cuticle.

I always do a final rinse with something that restores the Ph Balance and closes the cuticle.

I use: Hairveda's ACV Ph Phinising Rinse, Nexxus Ensure and/or Bear Fruit Hair's Shine Rinse, Roux PC (all have a ph balances between 3.0 & 4.0).

These restrict the cuticle after the Steaming Session and restores the ph balance to a normal range.

Ok thanks so much! I will keep that in mind next time I steam. I would like to join this challenge but I'm so late! Maybe I will jump in part IV :-) Thanks again!

I have been steaming every two weeks lately. Last week, I steamed with oils and Joico Moisture Recovery. Next week, I might use an avocado since I have lots of them.

@Nichelle_jb

Seems like we're on a One-On-One Steaming Challenge Ms. Lady!:grin:

We've been holdin' it down.:lol:

Catch you back Tuesday!

*i'm amazed we're only on pg. 3...maybe it will pick back up in the fall*

IDareT'sHair

I guess so. Well, I don't mind keeping it going. I love my steamer.

Steamed yesterday for about 30 minutes with Coconut Oil and Marie Dean's Peach Honey Syrup Conditioner.

Nichelle_jb

I steamed Friday with MopTop DC'er. Will Steam again on Tuesday with Jasmine's Bath & Beauty Hibiscus DC'er in: Tahitian Vanilla

I'm steaming right now. Someone ate all the avocados, so I'm just using the Joico Moisture Recovery + coconut oil.

earlier today I steamed with aloe vera juice and biolage balm by matrix (I know I jaced up the name of that DC, but ya'll know what I mean) for about 30 mins, then left it in my hair. Hair feels amazing!!!

I'm steaming approx 2x a week

Back