Stay texturized or go relaxed

Nanyanika

I know this may come as a shock to some of you but, i'm considering transitioining to relaxed hair (maybe a corrective) however i'm afraid because i remeber what happened in feb, I've had so much problems with texturizing and reversion after touch-ups, my hair still tangles excessively like my natural hair, i still have underprocessed areas but its worse when the new growth comes in (you knbow tangles) and there's nothing i can do other than to braid it to prevent manipulation, breakage my hair is healthy and thick.

I suppose what I would really like is to correct it to make the coils a little looser and to even out the underprocessed areas which are healthy and strong without breakage.. Oh dear Oh dear what am i to do? I can't cope anymore....I may just give up on the whole hair issue..i hate my hair,,,

Re: DEN1 WANTS TO TRANSITION

Oh don't say you hate your hair.
nono.gif

Is there anyone that you would trust to give you a corrective relaxer? Because that's the most important someone who will know what they're doing to give you the right result. I know when I got my corrective (using Affirm) they touched-up my roots like a regular relaxer and then put the relaxer on my underproccessed hair for a little amt. of time...I'll try and find and bump up my post from when I had a corrective.
smile.gif

I agree with ms kenesha - find someone you can really trust to do a corrective relaxer. Maybe do a couple of consultations. I can relate to your feelings of "I hate my hair." I think we all do at some point until we can find something that helps us manage our hair the best way. Good luck.
smile.gif

ms-kenesha..i really do hate it and i mean it,.... a member from this forum was kind enough to recommend me to hair stylist, but i'm so fearful of stylists.... when completely dry and combed out my hair still looks natural and i still have the major shrinkage, a big afro, tangles, knots etc. moisturising conditioners don't work on making my hair easier to comb/detangle...i don't know if the underprocesing is accentuating the lack of manageability. I've been using fiberguard mild relaxer it did'nt loosen my coils enough. The last time i had a touchup with the original in mild my new growth came out softer, straighter, more moisturised and even textured. however the old processed hair with fiberguard is drier and not entitely even textured.

I would steer clear of corrective relaxers. There's too much potential for something to go wrong. I can be done well, but it rarely is.

I would just touch up your new growth with something a little stronger first and then see if you have an easier time of it.

Don't hate your hair Den....it's gorgeous and I know it can be frustrating finding out what your hair needs once it's processed but you CAN - we'll help you.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
I agree with ms kenesha - find someone you can really trust to do a corrective relaxer. Maybe do a couple of consultations. I can relate to your feelings of "I hate my hair." I think we all do at some point until we can find something that helps us manage our hair the best way. Good luck.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks hairlove, I don't get on with my new stylist anymore, because she does'nt listen to what i want, she thinks she knows everything and disregards my knowledge. Don't get me wrong she is good with chemicals but I can't have someone do as they wish with my hair anymore. I'll just have to pluck up the courage and arrange some consultations and take it from there.

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
I would steer clear of corrective relaxers. There's too much potential for something to go wrong. I can be done well, but it rarely is.

I would just touch up your new growth with something a little stronger first and then see if you have an easier time of it.

Don't hate your hair Den....it's gorgeous and I know it can be frustrating finding out what your hair needs once it's processed but you CAN - we'll help you.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what i'm worried about.....losing my hair if something goes wrong again. I may get some strands tests done to get a good idea of what strength/timing i need to get my into a more manageable state.

[ QUOTE ]
den1 said:
my hair still tangles excessively like my natural hair, i still have underprocessed areas but its worse when the new growth comes in and there's nothing i can do other than to braid it to prevent breakage

[/ QUOTE ]

Den1, I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with your hair. Your hair grows pretty fast, doesn't it? If you relax it straighter, wouldn't you still have to deal with the newgrowth & having to keep it braided to prevent breakage? Instead of risking overprocessing, maybe you can try braid-outs & twist-outs or something.

Den, I feel you. You must be my hair twin.

I am texturized too with some relaxed hair left on the ends. My hair still is not wash & wear, as I was hoping it would be. So am I wearing twist outs, which I have to redo everyday. It looks nice, but is a lot of work. On days when I wash, I have to make the twists (like 40) so small for my hair to dry and I still have to sit under the dryer for half an hour. I don't any other styles at this point that work well and don't require the blow drier, but I am working to find something more low maintenance.

[ QUOTE ]
Ipanema said:
[ QUOTE ]
den1 said:
my hair still tangles excessively like my natural hair, i still have underprocessed areas but its worse when the new growth comes in and there's nothing i can do other than to braid it to prevent breakage

[/ QUOTE ]

Den1, I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with your hair. Your hair grows pretty fast, doesn't it? If you relax it straighter, wouldn't you still have to deal with the newgrowth & having to keep it braided to prevent breakage? Instead of risking overprocessing, maybe you can try braid-outs & twist-outs or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

My hair grows quite fast...the real problem is the underprocessing at the back sections, is causing the tangling eventually i feel it will break, because its a different texture from the rest of my hair which is curly, not including newgrowth. I would much easier to deal with growth, if i did'nt have varius textures to rake through. i doubt my hair would overprocess as its only 50% straighter, i use a mild relaxer and have coarse and resistant texture. For now i'm leaving my hair alone and in cornrows....until i relax again in Dec/Jan.

I'm not shocked that you want to transition. But don't hate your hair though! Your hair has always looked great. I think after being natural for so long you're kind of not used to chemically treated hair. If you change/improve your styling techniques, then there will be no need for you to get a corrective relaxer. I think a corrective relaxer would be unnecessary and would cause more damage. If you want to touch-up your roots like Tracy suggested, that would be fine.

[ QUOTE ]
Queenie said:
Den, I feel you. You must be my hair twin.

I am texturized too with some relaxed hair left on the ends. My hair still is not wash & wear, as I was hoping it would be. So am I wearing twist outs, which I have to redo everyday. It looks nice, but is a lot of work. On days when I wash, I have to make the twists (like 40) so small for my hair to dry and I still have to sit under the dryer for half an hour. I don't any other styles at this point that work well and don't require the blow drier, but I am working to find something more low maintenance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Queenie
smile.gif
the reason why i texturised is because i wanted to wash and wear instead of doing braid-outs/twists-outs, but i can't, not with a bundle of frizz at the back of my head...

It sounds like they didn't do a consistent job with your hair. Den1 why are you combing your hair after it dries? I would not be able to do that without causing problems. I comb it when it is wet, either before or after towel-drying.

[ QUOTE ]
CurlyCrly said:
It sounds like they didn't do a consistent job with your hair. Den1 why are you combing your hair after it dries? I would not be able to do that without causing problems. I comb it when it is wet, either before or after towel-drying.

[/ QUOTE ]

When i'm not wearing cornrows I do comb my hair once a week when its damp after conditioning before air-drying in twists or a bun (but i can never get the comb through my curls) so i use my fingers instead, i'm too frightened of tearing the hair. On some occasions the day after air-drying i comb it out into an afro first, before having my hair braided by my braider (i always use some kind of moisturiser beforehand. Tell me if i'm doing something wrong? I consistenly wear cornrows now, and apply moisturisers, shampoos/conditioners over my hair they work better this way,,but as soon as i talke my hair i've got major tangles,thickness to deal with..Its hard for me because i'm disabled in my left arm so i depend on others for help.

Den1 I don't have any advice for you, but I am sorry that you are having problems with your hair. You were always a napptural inspiration for several of us here, no matter if you had srinkage or not. EVERYTHING about your natural hair was BEAUTIFUL. I'm sad you changed it, only to face problems.... I do hope that you find and answer, if it were me I would stay away from the chemicals and nurse my hair back in tip-top condition. Blessings.

Den1, I never comb my hair when it is dry unless it is straight. Otherwise, I would not be able to get the comb through it without breakage. I may finger-comb when dry, but that is usually to smooth any wind-blown strands into place. Even fingercombing when dry is too much. I only do what is needed. If I want to do real combing the day after air-drying, I will totally wet my hair or spritz it enough to soften the curls.

[ QUOTE ]
Netta1 said:
Den1 I don't have any advice for you, but I am sorry that you are having problems with your hair. You were always a napptural inspiration for several of us here, no matter if you had srinkage or not. EVERYTHING about your natural hair was BEAUTIFUL. I'm sad you changed it, only to face problems.... I do hope that you find and answer, if it were me I would stay away from the chemicals and nurse my hair back in tip-top condition. Blessings.

[/ QUOTE ]

My hair is healthy, its just not manageable at the moment, I wounld'nt want to transition to natural, its only been 8 months since texturizing, i'm not willing to part with my length.

[ QUOTE ]
CurlyCrly said:
Den1, I never comb my hair when it is dry unless it is straight. Otherwise, I would not be able to get the comb through it without breakage. I may finger-comb when dry, but that is usually to smooth any wind-blown strands into place. Even fingercombing when dry is too much. I only do what is needed. If I want to do real combing the day after air-drying, I will totally wet my hair or spritz it enough to soften the curls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can comb through to an afro once moisturised) day after air-drying) without breakage, my hair is strong, its just trouble when wet, it tangles more because of the underprocessed sections.

I don't know what to tell you Den. I have done a corrective on myself before but I did it in sections. I left it on for about 5 mins per section that's including the smoothing. The results were great. You have to be very careful with corrective relaxing and make sure someone who knows what they are doing is doing the relaxer.

It can be done with some skill but just go to some consultations first.

[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:
I don't know what to tell you Den. I have done a corrective on myself before but I did it in sections. I left it on for about 5 mins per section that's including the smoothing. The results were great. You have to be very careful with corrective relaxing and make sure someone who knows what they are doing is doing the relaxer.

It can be done with some skill but just go to some consultations first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks DSD, if i can't find any trustworthy stylists, i'll have my two elder sisters do my hair, they both have experience with relaxing hair. the only other option will be to leave the underprocessed area alone.

To give your hair a break for a while, I'd say try rollersetting. If you do that, you'll have straight, or loosely curled hair for a week, and you won't have to worry about too much manipulation.

Personally, I wouldn't fully relax, unless you're 1000% sure because if you decide to go back to natural, it'll be harder to transition. JMO.

Sorry if i've confused anyone...my post says that i want to have a corrective or transition to relaxed hair....not natural...no wayyyss

It sounds like it is causing you great distress. So, I'd do a corrective to that area only and do a strand test beforehand to get the timing/relaxer strength correct.

I think that you should do what your instincs tell you if you are truly unhappy with your hair. I think your hair is beautiful the way it is but if you feel that it is to unmanageable then you should find a way to make it more manageable, wether it's to relax it or find a different technique. But keep in mind that once you go straighter you may not like the results, what if they straighten your hair too much?you may instantley loose that "thickness" your hair once had. I'm not trying to scare you but I just want you to consider all of your options.
kiss.gif

Den1, I don't know what to tell you. When your hair was natural, it looked very beautiful and you were only a few inches away from the waistline. I think you really need to go to a person, who knows how to look after long hair. Ideally, the best people would be the curve salon people, but alas they are in America. I have to agree with Curlybun. I also found it very difficult to look after my hair when it was relaxed and after a certain time, it would break. I hope that I am not scaring you. All, I could suggest, is there are some salons in the West End, which have both Causasian and African clients and clients of mixed race and they may be able to help you, and I feel that they really study hair, that is the only thing I could suggest right now. I hope that helps.

Hi Den1
Don't hate your hair
spank.gif
because it is lovely and you have put alot of hard work into it looking good. Perhaps you should see my stylist as suggested before. Perhaps you can see him now just for his opinion only. By the way - I have seen him turn people away who are requesting colour / chemical treatments because their hair is not in the best condition to undergo treatment. IMO that is a sign of a good stylist. Let me know if you want me to come with you for moral support.

Pradalover, you know i'm still gonna take you up on that offer
grin.gif
, I would really love if he could give me a professional opinion on my hair even though i don't plan to relax until Dec.

[ QUOTE ]
CurlyCrly said:
It sounds like it is causing you great distress. So, I'd do a corrective to that area only and do a strand test beforehand to get the timing/relaxer strength correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks curly, I may have to consider this option instead of choosing to relax, coz i could regret it.

Back