Stay texturized or go relaxed

I don't know if it would help..to post wet hair photo's so you can all get a better understanding of the texture.yes or no?

I think whatever you decide to do, it should be your decision alone. It is your hair, and you have to live with it, no one else.

Advice is good, but it is just advice, and people are coming from their own world view. It is not your world view and it is your hair, so the decision should be yours alone. That is my opinion anyway.
smile.gif

Re: Relax that hair!

I don't think pictures of wet hair will make a difference. You seem overly analyzing and critical of your hair. You never seem happy with it. Its is clear that you don't want to cut your hair but starting over sounds like the best idea to me. Relax from the start but oh maybe you will find something wrong with that also.

Re: Relax that hair!

[ QUOTE ]
Chamber said:
I don't think pictures of wet hair will make a difference. You seem overly analyzing and critical of your hair. You never seem happy with it. Its is clear that you don't want to cut your hair but starting over sounds like the best idea to me. Relax from the start but oh maybe you will find something wrong with that also.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suggested taking pictures to demonstrate the underprocessed area to get more opinons. I disagree with your statement of me being too critical as a lot women don't feel entirely happy with the hair, weight etc. so i'm not indifferent. My hair is healthy, why would i want to start over? the question was whether to correct that area...or relax fully?

[ QUOTE ]
LEOLADYSW said:
I think whatever you decide to do, it should be your decision alone. It is your hair, and you have to live with it, no one else.

Advice is good, but it is just advice, and people are coming from their own world view. It is not be your world view and it is your hair, so the decision should be yours alone. That is my opinion anyway.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks girl.. these words are really uplifting...I feel more confident in making my own decisions about my hair.

So sorry that your hair is giving you so much issues. I am at a defining moment myself and only my towel in the washer is keeping me from chopping off all my hair full of tangles. I wish you the very best and like others have said you should look for a person with experience to help you with the corrective relaxing.
All the best again.

[ QUOTE ]
myhairsos said:
So sorry that your hair is giving you so much issues. I am at a defining moment myself and only my towel in the washer is keeping me from chopping off all my hair full of tangles. I wish you the very best and like others have said you should look for a person with experience to help you with the corrective relaxing.
All the best again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank-you

[ QUOTE ]
den1 said:
[ QUOTE ]
LEOLADYSW said:

Advice is good, but it is just advice, and people are coming from their own world view. It is not be your world view and it is your hair, so the decision should be yours alone. That is my opinion anyway.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks girl.. these words are really uplifting...I feel more confident in making my own decisions about my hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good, you should be confident. Nobody knows your hair like you do -- you are your own hair expert!

Be assured that no matter what you decide, we will support you. That is the main thing [that you make your own informed decision] isn't it?

I know you will have beautiful hair no matter if you relax, re-texturize, or go natural.
cool.gif

Den,

When I initially texturized my hair in June 03 it was a lot like yours as far as the description. The only thing that differentiated it from natural hair was that it was weaker. Otherwise it was just as poofy and impossible to comb and detangle. I had my stylist go through the entire length the second time (after waiting 4 months) and got the texture I wanted. She used mizani sensitive scalp (no lye). Maybe this would work for you? I chose to keep it texturized because I just don't like straight hair. However I'm sure you could get a relaxer rather than a texturizer. It's only a couple of minutes difference right?

Good luck,

DA

Well, whatever you decide, please be careful. My hair is not relaxed bone straight (just texturized). I like the fact that I still have my texture, and that I can wear my hair wavy or straight. Have you experimented with different products to help with detangling? Do you shampoo your hair in the shower?

[ QUOTE ]
DahomeyAhosi said:
Den,

When I initially texturized my hair in June 03 it was a lot like yours as far as the description. The only thing that differentiated it from natural hair was that it was weaker. Otherwise it was just as poofy and impossible to comb and detangle. I had my stylist go through the entire length the second time (after waiting 4 months) and got the texture I wanted. She used mizani sensitive scalp (no lye). Maybe this would work for you? I chose to keep it texturized because I just don't like straight hair. However I'm sure you could get a relaxer rather than a texturizer. It's only a couple of minutes difference right?

Good luck,

DA

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi girl, my hair is very curly all over when wet or sprizted with moisture, but there is a section at the back which is less defined and more proned to tangle, It probably only needs like 2-3 minutes run over with corrective relaxer enough to even it out, not straighten. i will stay texturized but i'm going to seek professional advice from pradalover's hairdresser, hear what he says and decide from there..Do you think i should change relaxers or stick with Affirm?

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
Well, whatever you decide, please be careful. My hair is not relaxed bone straight (just texturized). I like the fact that I still have my texture, and that I can wear my hair wavy or straight. Have you experimented with different products to help with detangling? Do you shampoo your hair in the shower?

[/ QUOTE ]

I tilt my head downwards over the bath and shampoo my hair under the shower (i hate the feeling of shedded hair on my body). As far as detangling.. i've used surge, Black and beautiful braid repair serum, olive oil, CON shampoo, Arosci, some of them work okay but not effective effective enough. I sound useless
laugh.gif

Den,

I still haven't found the perfect relaxer so I can't really give advice for one. Mizani sensitive scalp was great for quick texturizing but because it's no lye it was way too drying so I've since switched to mild. The mild doesn't get my hair the texture I'd like it but I noticed that my hair is stronger and thicker looking. I don't use affirm because I realized that fiberguard was bad for me and that turned me off of the whole product line, perhaps unfairly.

DA

[ QUOTE ]
den1 said:
[ QUOTE ]
DahomeyAhosi said:
Den,

Good luck,

DA

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi girl, my hair is very curly all over when wet or sprizted with moisture, but there is a section at the back which is less defined and more proned to tangle, It probably only needs like 2-3 minutes run over with corrective relaxer enough to even it out, not straighten. i will stay texturized but i'm going to seek professional advice from pradalover's hairdresser, hear what he says and decide from there..Do you think i should change relaxers or stick with Affirm?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just my opinion but I would deal with your hair as best as you can until its time for your next touch up then either use a relaxer or a stronger texturiser. It sounds like you are using the wrong one right now.
If you cant wait until december just wait a few weeks and just do it again you should be ok seeing as you take good care of your hair.
I use the regular Scurl and I really like it. I used to relax with Pcj and could still wear it curly.
Like someone else said DONT comb your hair dry. I only comb it when it is full of conditoner in the shower.
have u tried paul mitchell the condioner? that will help with manageability. the foaming pomade and super sculpt lotion mixed together give good results.
I have to load my hair with products for it to look like I want it.
but dont stress your'e 'problem' can be easily fixed
smile.gif

you just havent processed your hair enough.

You know its the fiberguard made that specific area of my head underprocessed,,I recently switched to Affirm mild original and my new growth came out nicer,,its not as dry as the old relaxed hair.

[ QUOTE ]
DahomeyAhosi said:
Den,

I still haven't found the perfect relaxer so I can't really give advice for one. Mizani sensitive scalp was great for quick texturizing but because it's no lye it was way too drying so I've since switched to mild. The mild doesn't get my hair the texture I'd like it but I noticed that my hair is stronger and thicker looking. I don't use affirm because I realized that fiberguard was bad for me and that turned me off of the whole product line, perhaps unfairly.

DA

[ QUOTE ]
den1 said:
[ QUOTE ]
DahomeyAhosi said:
Den,

Good luck,

DA

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
buffalosoldier said:
Just my opinion but I would deal with your hair as best as you can until its time for your next touch up then either use a relaxer or a stronger texturiser. It sounds like you are using the wrong one right now.
If you cant wait until december just wait a few weeks and just do it again you should be ok seeing as you take good care of your hair.
I use the regular Scurl and I really like it. I used to relax with Pcj and could still wear it curly.
Like someone else said DONT comb your hair dry. I only comb it when it is full of conditoner in the shower.
have u tried paul mitchell the condioner? that will help with manageability. the foaming pomade and super sculpt lotion mixed together give good results.
I have to load my hair with products for it to look like I want it.
but dont stress your'e 'problem' can be easily fixed
smile.gif

you just havent processed your hair enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your recommendations, I will immediately cease combing my hair dry, and resort to finger combing on wet conditioned hair. I may switch to regular instead of mild. however, i'll defintely wait until Dec/Jan for a touch-up in the meantime i'm going wear cornrows. Is s-curl lye or no lye? I gonna look out for paul mitchell products also. Thanks again

[ QUOTE ]
den1 said:
Is s-curl lye or no lye?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea to be honest !!! I just know that it works for me. I've been using it for a few years and I tend to stick to the same products.

[ QUOTE ]
den1 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:

[/ QUOTE ]
I tilt my head downwards over the bath and shampoo my hair under the shower (i hate the feeling of shedded hair on my body). As far as detangling.. i've used surge, Black and beautiful braid repair serum, olive oil, CON shampoo, Arosci, some of them work okay but not effective effective enough. I sound useless
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I just wanted to make sure I'm understanding your method of shampooing. When you're in the shower, you tilt your head forward to shampoo?

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
[ QUOTE ]
den1 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:

[/ QUOTE ]
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I just wanted to make sure I'm understanding your method of shampooing. When you're in the shower, you tilt your head forward to shampoo?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't stand up in the bath...I tilt my over the bath, and run shower water over my hair.

[ QUOTE ]
den1 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
[ QUOTE ]
den1 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:

[/ QUOTE ]
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't stand up in the bath...I tilt my over the bath, and run shower water over my hair.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
pradalover said:
Den1 - let me know if and when you want to see my hairdresser. I will speak to him first if you would prefer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi pradalover, I really appreciate your help, if possible i'd like to see J-van sometime next week, i'm very grateful if you go ahead and speak to him first. Thanks again.

[ QUOTE ]
blaxalrose said:
Den1 maybe you should take pradalover up on her offer, I do think you need to consult with an experienced, educated stylist before deciding what to do with your hair. Also, I would recommend you pick up this book, there are some great tips in it:

ISBN: 0-7432-3550-9 / 0743235509. Title: Textured Tresses. Author: Diane Dacosta. Publisher: Simon & Schuster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks very much for recommending this book, i'm going to search online to purchase a copy.

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Den1 - are you turning your head upside down when you wash your hair? Thus, the water hits your nape area first?

[/ QUOTE ]

don't make me laugh!!! UPSIDE DOWN
laugh.gif
, Yes it touches my nape area first...Is that an appropiate method?

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Den1 - are you turning your head upside down when you wash your hair? Thus, the water hits your nape area first?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hairlove,

When I did this (a long time ago), all I got was terrible tangles. Never ever again.
nono.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Hairlove,

When I did this (a long time ago), all I got was terrible tangles. Never ever again.
nono.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like i'll have to axe my method of washing my hair.

[ QUOTE ]
den1 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Hairlove,

nono.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is why I was asking you if you 'you tilt your head forward to shampoo'. For a lot of people, this method creates terrible tangles. A long time ago, when my hair was much shorter, it worked fine.

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
[ QUOTE ]
den1 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Hairlove,

nono.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is why I was asking you if you 'you tilt your head forward to shampoo'. For a lot of people, this method creates terrible tangles. A long time ago, when my hair was much shorter, it worked fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Allandra
smile.gif

Back