Standard tip for stylist

nita4

Is there a standard tip that you give a stylist? Like 10%??? Or???

Normally, there is one person that does the hair. Standard price for a relaxer here is $65.00 that includes the conditioner afterwards and a trim if needed.

I think it should be based on how well they do your hair..also how much they are charging..

If your paying 65 for a perm and style then a 2 dollar tip shouldn't work.. at least in my opinion..

I hate going to places where they have 10 people in ur hair..Im only tipping the main person.. if ya'll split the tip then its up to u..
I tend to tip more when I get my hair braided..cause Im in there more and she's standing up so she's getting her moneys worth. I'll tip 10-20 dollars extra depending on what I have on me.

Hi Nita4!
wave.gif

I worked as a receptionist in a salon for a while a few years ago and then one of my roomates went to cosmetology school. I was always told that the standard tip for hairstyling and makeup artist is 15-20%. If more than on perosn works on your head you can pay the main person or each person individually. So if your relaxer is $65 plan to spend between $74.75 to $78.

HTH

Auntybe

I pay $78.50 for my touch-up and trim. 15% of that is $11.78... Sorry, but no way am I tipping that much. Nope. I give the person who put in the relaxer, trims my hair & sets it $5.00 and the shampoo girl gets $2.00. THAT'S IT. I feel they're overcharging for the relaxer as it is!! If I tipped $11.78 that would bring it up to almost $100!!!
nono.gif
I guess I'm a cheapie.

For a wash and set ranging bet. $12-$15. I tip $2or $3.
For a relaxer of $35 I tip $5.
It all depends on the relation bet u and ur hairdresser. I really like mine so sometimes I give tip her a lot b/c I notice that she doesnt charge me for certain services so I compensate with the tip.

wave.gif
Hi Auntybe
wave.gif
Hi ladies, thanks. I was wondering because I was tipping $5 on the $65 service w/my last hairdresser.

I tip the stylist 15% and the shampoo girl 7.5%. You are always guaranteed great service with this method.

MissB

[ QUOTE ]
I pay $78.50 for my touch-up and trim. 15% of that is $11.78... Sorry, but no way am I tipping that much. Nope. I give the person who put in the relaxer, trims my hair & sets it $5.00 and the shampoo girl gets $2.00. THAT'S IT. I feel they're overcharging for the relaxer as it is!! If I tipped $11.78 that would bring it up to almost $100!!!
nono.gif
I guess I'm a cheapie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lindy, I tip the exact same amount as you do. I feel it is quite enough of my family's hard earned dollars, especially when the stylist spends all of 25 mins on your hair and the hooded drier does most of the work!

If I had to tip 15-20%, I would never go. But I do give Christmas gifts.

[ QUOTE ]
nono.gif
I guess I'm a cheapie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lindy, I tip the exact same amount as you do. I feel it is quite enough of my family's hard earned dollars, especially when the stylist spends all of 25 mins on your hair and the hooded drier does most of the work!

If I had to tip 15-20%, I would never go. But I do give Christmas gifts.

I feel bad because I never tipped (maybe that's why they burned my hair out
perplexed.gif
). But when I went to a stylist regularly I was between the ages of 15 and 17, which means no money.
But when I go now, which is rare,I go with an intention to tip but I only bring a limited amount of money, so when they start saying $10 for a deep conditioning and $10 for a trim-there goes the tip.
I'm in college now which means I am broker than I was before so I hope they don't take offense. But I still ended up spending $50 or $60 just to get my hair pressed!
mad.gif

When I started going to stylist by myself, in high school, I didn't know you were suppose to tips stylists
laugh.gif

I don't think they should be expect tips though

i've never tipped, i didn't know i was supposed to. but shoot, my old scissor happy stylist didn't deserve no
censored.gif
tip anyway.

Back