Split Ends Galore...Aggravated

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
Hello ladies, I typically lurk but I just need some advice with the current state of my nape hair. I noticed Tonight as I was sectioning my hair to M&S that the nape had splits, and I'm talking all kind of splits like tree branch and mid shaft...you name it..I have it. I took my scissors and cut the ones that I could see, however they are literally all over that area. I am currently almost 14 weeks post relaxer, I was planning to relax next week but given the mess going on with my nape, I'm not sure if I should. That area is very course/ thick, it actually broke off last year and I've been trying to nurse it back to no avail.

Right now I wash once a week.

Prepoo- Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil Cholesterol with oils,
Cleanse- AS I Am Cowash,
Conditioner- HE Hello Hydration
Protein- Aphogee 2 Minute
Smoother- Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Daily Treatment
Deep Condition- Aussie Moist 3 Minute Deep Conditioner

I always air dry my hair. My leave ins are Aphogee Green Tea, Cantu Repair leave in cream, and will either use Organix coconut anti- breakage serum orHemp seed oil to seal using the LCO method.

Sorry for the long post but I thought the extra details might matter.
Thanks in advance :-)

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

If you use all those products just once weekly for your wash, I think you are overdoing it. I see a lot of protein there and that might be the cause. As you like high end leave-ins, I'd suggest PM Skinny Daily shampoo and conditioner. Do the deep condition (Aphogee) once monthly or every two weeks. Let go the Aussie, the Hello Hidration and the Olive oil pre-poo because if it's cholesterol, it probably has an egg protein in it as well. Let that go to something pure, like castor oil. Don't do the Green Tea leave-in with the Cantu either unless you need a tiny bit of creme with the PM Skinny Leave-in. There's just way too much protein in that regimen.

If you use all those products just once weekly for your wash, I think you are overdoing it. I see a lot of protein there and that might be the cause. As you like high end leave-ins, I'd suggest PM Skinny Daily shampoo and conditioner. Do the deep condition (Aphogee) once monthly or every two weeks. Let go the Aussie, the Hello Hidration and the Olive oil pre-poo because if it's cholesterol, it probably has an egg protein in it as well. Let that go to something pure, like castor oil. Don't do the Green Tea leave-in with the Cantu either unless you need a tiny bit of creme with the PM Skinny Leave-in. There's just way too much protein in that regimen.

Oh ok, I see what you mean. I started using more protein because some my strands are fine as well as coarse. My hair tends to shed a lot as well so I thought I needed more protein. Hello Hydration and Aussie Moist feel so moisturizing on my hair though, but I understand what you mean about the cholesterol. I'm still trying to find a moisturizing leave in, is there one you would recommend? Thanks again! :-)

I also forgot to add that when I've done a strand test for porosity before, the strands of hair that I had placed in the water stayed floating on top of the water. I get a little confused at times with the whole moisture and protein balance.

Hello ladies, I typically lurk but I just need some advice with the current state of my nape hair. I noticed Tonight as I was sectioning my hair to M&S that the nape had splits, and I'm talking all kind of splits like tree branch and mid shaft...you name it..I have it. I took my scissors and cut the ones that I could see, however they are literally all over that area. I am currently almost 14 weeks post relaxer, I was planning to relax next week but given the mess going on with my nape, I'm not sure if I should. That area is very course/ thick, it actually broke off last year and I've been trying to nurse it back to no avail.

Right now I wash once a week.

Prepoo- Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil Cholesterol with oils,
Cleanse- AS I Am Cowash,
Conditioner- HE Hello Hydration
Protein- Aphogee 2 Minute
Smoother- Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Daily Treatment
Deep Condition- Aussie Moist 3 Minute Deep Conditioner

I always air dry my hair. My leave ins are Aphogee Green Tea, Cantu Repair leave in cream, and will either use Organix coconut anti- breakage serum orHemp seed oil to seal using the LCO method.

Sorry for the long post but I thought the extra details might matter.
Thanks in advance :-)

Flygirlll2

I agree that you are using a lot of protein. You are also using a lot of silicones. Those can build up over time and cause the breakage bc your hair may not be getting enough moisture. The cones coat the hair shaft and may be the reason you didnt notice the splits. This happened to me too recently. I used the Split Ender. How often do you clarify?

I mostly buy my products on the ground or diy. There are many online hair vendors that sell more natural leave ins and conditioners. Many of the ladies on this board use them with great reviews.

I mix an australian pink clay recipe for a moisturizing dc and I use pure AVG as a moisturizing leave in. Then I seal with a natural oil. A good leave it with no protein is Shea Moisture Raw Restorative Conditioner. Its really a rinse out but works great both ways. The poo and DC are both awesome too.

Good Luck!

You may be stretching ur relaxers too long. I had alot of splits when I used to stretch my relaxers every 6mths. I recently switched to relaxing every 4mths & I noticed I had less splits & breakage.

I agree with the other posts. It looks like u have wayyyy too much protein. The cantu, Aphogee & Hollywood cholesterol have alot of protein. For me, I never had a problem using HE hello hydration. In fact I use that conditioner whenever I have too much protein.

The porosity test doesnt work for me. How I can tell if I have too much protein is when my hair is wet & it feels crunchy & it tangles & mats. How I can tell if I have too much moisture is when I can't see my curl pattern & my hair feels mushy.

I hope this helps.

Oh, & have you tried ACV & AVJ. I noticed that since I started incorporating them in my Reggie, my porosity has been on point. There is a thread floating around on ACV & AVJ. I prefer AVJ.

That Aphogee Green Tea is no joke as a protein leave in. Then you are using Aphogee 2 Minute. Those two right there may give you protein overload in combination. To top it off, the Cholesterol can act as a protein and the Cantu I'm pretty sure has some type of protein in it.

Try alternating weeks with protein. If you use protein during your wash, I would not use it as a leave in and vice versa. Also, I'm not sure about the anti breakage serum you are sealing with, but whenever something says it is "anti-breakage" it may have protein. You said your nape was course. You may not need as much protein there as the finer parts of your hair.

I also agree with the pp about so many cones. I don't mind cones sometimes, but not only do your leave ins, rinse outs,and Dcs have cones, but you are sealing with serums. That sounds like a ton of cones. You probably didn't notice so many splits because they may have been coating your hair.

My suggestions:
1. Ditch the serum and just seal with the hemp seed oil (make sure it is pure and not a mixture of hemp seed oil with a bunch of cones).
2. Don't spray the Aphogee Green Tea if you are using 2 Minute. As a matter of fact, if you are using the AGT consistently, you should not even need the 2 Minute. Only use the Aphogee Green Tea if you have not used any other proteins that week. Also, when you do spray the AGT, make sure you apply a non-protein leave in on top of it. (I personally only use the AGT every two weeks as a leave in).
3. Get a protein free leave in and DC, preferably something natural without cones. Use these during the times that you use the Aphogee Green Tea.
4. Try some products w/out cones.
5. Finger detangle that area or invest in a seamless comb.

Good luck!

Flygirlll2

I agree that you are using a lot of protein. You are also using a lot of silicones. Those can build up over time and cause the breakage bc your hair may not be getting enough moisture. The cones coat the hair shaft and may be the reason you didnt notice the splits. This happened to me too recently. I used the Split Ender. How often do you clarify?

I mostly buy my products on the ground or diy. There are many online hair vendors that sell more natural leave ins and conditioners. Many of the ladies on this board use them with great reviews.

I mix an australian pink clay recipe for a moisturizing dc and I use pure AVG as a moisturizing leave in. Then I seal with a natural oil. A good leave it with no protein is Shea Moisture Raw Restorative Conditioner. Its really a rinse out but works great both ways. The poo and DC are both awesome too.

Good Luck!

I tend to clarify once a month. I have have some natural products, but the issue I have found with some of them is that they don't provide enough slip and I'm a sucker for slip lol. I should probably revisit using treseme naturals conditioner since it has no cones then. I was thinking about the getting the split ender, how often do you use it? Do you find that you have less splits while using it?
Thanks!

You may be stretching ur relaxers too long. I had alot of splits when I used to stretch my relaxers every 6mths. I recently switched to relaxing every 4mths & I noticed I had less splits & breakage.

I agree with the other posts. It looks like u have wayyyy too much protein. The cantu, Aphogee & Hollywood cholesterol have alot of protein. For me, I never had a problem using HE hello hydration. In fact I use that conditioner whenever I have too much protein.

The porosity test doesnt work for me. How I can tell if I have too much protein is when my hair is wet & it feels crunchy & it tangles & mats. How I can tell if I have too much moisture is when I can't see my curl pattern & my hair feels mushy.

I hope this helps.

Yes I think stretching too long may not be for me. My last stretch was almost 7 months, but that was because I though I was transitioning. During that time my hair had so many single strand knots and was a tangled mess because my natural hair is very tightly coiled. I almost BC out of frustration. My hair is about BSL now, I had cut it from MBL to SL last year due to damage. My hair is more textlaxed now though.

Oh, & have you tried ACV & AVJ. I noticed that since I started incorporating them in my Reggie, my porosity has been on point. There is a thread floating around on ACV & AVJ. I prefer AVJ.

I have tried ACV and my hair felt very hard, so idk if perhaps the ratio I uses was off. I used to have AVJ but wasn't sure how to use it in my regimen.

That Aphogee Green Tea is no joke as a protein leave in. Then you are using Aphogee 2 Minute. Those two right there may give you protein overload in combination. To top it off, the Cholesterol can act as a protein and the Cantu I'm pretty sure has some type of protein in it.

Try alternating weeks with protein. If you use protein during your wash, I would not use it as a leave in and vice versa. Also, I'm not sure about the anti breakage serum you are sealing with, but whenever something says it is "anti-breakage" it may have protein. You said your nape was course. You may not need as much protein there as the finer parts of your hair.

I also agree with the pp about so many cones. I don't mind cones sometimes, but not only do your leave ins, rinse outs,and Dcs have cones, but you are sealing with serums. That sounds like a ton of cones. You probably didn't notice so many splits because they may have been coating your hair.

My suggestions:
1. Ditch the serum and just seal with the hemp seed oil (make sure it is pure and not a mixture of hemp seed oil with a bunch of cones).
2. Don't spray the Aphogee Green Tea if you are using 2 Minute. As a matter of fact, if you are using the AGT consistently, you should not even need the 2 Minute. Only use the Aphogee Green Tea if you have not used any other proteins that week. Also, when you do spray the AGT, make sure you apply a non-protein leave in on top of it. (I personally only use the AGT every two weeks as a leave in).
3. Get a protein free leave in and DC, preferably something natural without cones. Use these during the times that you use the Aphogee Green Tea.
4. Try some products w/out cones.
5. Finger detangle that area or invest in a seamless comb.

Good luck!

Thank you for the suggestions girl. The hemp seed oil I have is natural, it's from Nutiva. I have the KCKT leave in that has no cones, so I'll probably substitute that. I also just bought the Komaza Califia spray but I have to double check on whether it has proteins in it or not. I only use a seamless comb, but I tend to finger detangle a lot especially during a long stretch. Now I see that my nape definitely needs more moisture as opposed to protein due to the coarseness.

Last edited:
I forgot to ask you ladies if you think I should still go ahead and relax it like I planned. The rest of my hair is in ok shape, not a mess like the nape area.

I tend to clarify once a month. I have have some natural products, but the issue I have found with some of them is that they don't provide enough slip and I'm a sucker for slip lol. I should probably revisit using treseme naturals conditioner since it has no cones then. I was thinking about the getting the split ender, how often do you use it? Do you find that you have less splits while using it?
Thanks!

flyygirlll2
Yes, I love the Tresemme Naturals original formula. I keep my stash well supplied with this. I also love the VO5 conditioners. I keep both on deck in the shower as cowashers and rinse outs whenever I feel I need more slip.

I use a little aloe vera gel to moisturize and it does a good job of sealing too. It makes my hair smooth as a dime. You could also do the same with AVJ. You only nerd a little on each section. It tames my NG really well.

I just got the Split Ender and only used it once. I had a lot of splits!! It doesn't prevent them but it cuts them without taking off the length of your hair (only 1/4 in). My splits came from combing through my hair forcefully on several diff occasions when I had tangles and lots of NG. The avg is helping to keep my cuticles sealed so I don't have tangles.

It wouldn't hurt to go ahead and relax with the splits but you will still have to deal with them. Either cut the hair or cut the splits. I chose to cut the splits cuz I had them all over.

Also, awesome detailed recs from Froreal3

Last edited:
flyygirlll2
Yes, I love the Tresemme Naturals original formula. I keep my stash well supplied with this. I also love the VO5 conditioners. I keep both on deck in the shower as cowashers and rinse outs whenever I feel I need more slip.

I use a little aloe vera gel to moisturize and it does a good job of sealing too. It makes my hair smooth as a dime. You could also do the same with AVJ. You only nerd a little on each section. It tames my NG really well.

I just got the Split Ender and only used it once. I had a lot of splits!! It doesn't prevent them but it cuts them without taking off the length of your hair (only 1/4 in). My splits came from combing through my hair forcefully on several diff occasions when I had tangles and lots of NG. The avg is helping to keep my cuticles sealed so I don't have tangles.

It wouldn't hurt to go ahead and relax with the splits but you will still have to deal with them. Either cut the hair or cut the splits. I chose to cut the splits cuz I had them all over.

Also, awesome detailed recs from Froreal3

I'll have to cut gradually then, I feel :-( thinking about all theses God awful splits but I have to in order to keep my hair healthy. Thanks for the advice girl :-)

Back