8th BIG CHOP in 2 years!! I'm FURIOUS! (kinda long)

Don't have any advice to offer OP but just wanted to wave, "HI!" I haven't seen you on FB. xo

If I were you I'd stop relaxing. I quit curly perms in 2009 after I started getting nape breakage. I'd had the perms for 28 yrs. After big chop I had to deal with scab hair for about 1-2 years til the texture went back to normal but I wound up having to see a derm last year about the nape . That helped some but an essential oil mix & Super Potent JBCO were better . Try using S Curl to moisturize your nape area. I used to use it on my afro & curly perm years ago but started up again after hearing that many naturals love to use it as leave in & moisturizer. Also try Qhemet Biologics , JBCO or Wild Growth oil.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

But I was already natural and had the same issue :(

Are you sure after your relaxer you are neutralising properly. Sometimes you may think you or your hairdresser are but in reality traces of the relaxer still remain enough to cause breakage. I used to get that type of breakage all the time when I realised that I was culprit, my hair was not neutralised properly and I was combing my hair when wet. And also on the issue of stretching I find that the problem is the technique, when I used to try and smooth with my hands a little past the roots, the tension was too much for my fine strands to handle. Now, I use a relaxer brush to smooth only stick to my roots and do not go for that bone straight look. You may have to skip relaxing your nape for a while. There is nothing that says in stone that your entire hair has to be relaxed every touch up. I have a god sister who has inflammation of the scalp and it affects her crown, this inflammation has been caused by an infection. When she gets her hair relaxed her hair dresser does not touch the crown. Stop co washing it causes a lot of build up in some women. I used to be in love with co washes but I have stopped for one year now. Best, Almond Eyes

How do you know if you're neutralizing properly?

You may need to use the brand that turns color when there is any relaxer in and keep washing until it only lathers up as white.

I also think you are over processing your hair. No one needs a touch up after 6 weeks. To be able to make it to 8 or 10 weeks you need to figure out other products and techniques to better handle your hair as the new growth comes in. Maybe flat wraps the first few weeks and curl sets as your new growth comes in that won't need as much manipulating on a day to day basis.

From what you said your hair IS growing you're not retaining it so look deeper at what you are doing that this section of hair is rebelling against. If it wasn't growing at all then you should go to a dr.

You may want to invest in the Komaza Hair Analysis. I did and it saved my hair. I learned that build up from co-washing is no joke. I was losing hair to shedding and breakage and couldn't figure out why. The Analysis showed me the massive build up on my hair, roots and by default, my scalp. I stopped co-washing and started using a clarifying shampoo and the shedding and breakage has been reduced by 95%.

I am obsessive about the neutralising process since I do my own relaxers. But even if a hairdresser relaxes your hair, you can still the next day use a good neutralising shampoo like ORS, wash three times keeping the second lather on for about ten minutes and then following by a good protein treatment, I like ORS in the packets; I use one of those keeping it on for a good 30 minutes.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Thanks ladies for all of your help! I'm going to stick with my protein treatments I just started (I literally used to never use protein or do any hard treatments). I'm going to start off with going to 7 weeks vs 6 weeks for my relaxers. I'm going to stop wet combing and see if damp or dry causes less breakage. And I think I'm also going to treat my hair with chi silk infusion before relaxing next time. If none of this works then I'm shaving my head.

I'm not sure if anyone already suggested this - and you've received some great tips - but have you considered that the issue may be internal? I know I'm slightly iron deficient and when my iron drops lower than my "normal" then my hair thins and breaks horribly. Which reminds me to get back on my vitamin game! Anyway, I say all of that to say that your problem may be deeper than just your hair care - because no matter what I would think "everyone" would be able to grow and maintain hair of at least shoulder length-ish without requiring major cuts if their body is healthy. Perhaps you've already checked all of that out, but just wanted to add my two cents to help. Good luck!!!

I'm not sure if anyone already suggested this - and you've received some great tips - but have you considered that the issue may be internal? I know I'm slightly iron deficient and when my iron drops lower than my "normal" then my hair thins and breaks horribly. Which reminds me to get back on my vitamin game! Anyway, I say all of that to say that your problem may be deeper than just your hair care - because no matter what I would think "everyone" would be able to grow and maintain hair of at least shoulder length-ish without requiring major cuts if their body is healthy. Perhaps you've already checked all of that out, but just wanted to add my two cents to help. Good luck!!!

I actually am anemic and never take iron. I recently started taking prenatal vitamins because I'm expecting but I would need to reevaluate it after I give birth to really see. Great advice!

EbonyPerez, I had this same problem! And it was never-ending. For the first three years after I joined, it was just a pattern: grow to APL, chop back to SL, grow to APL, chop back to SL. It was driving me crazy. I finally turned it around last year and this is how.

1. I dusted 1x/mo. for a year. Extreme, I know, but I was losing so much hair anyway with all the breakage and seasonal big chops that I figured wth. At least I'd be losing it on my schedule instead of some beautician's. I did this to give my crown time to catch up and, hopefully, fill in my 'W'.

2. Apply conditioner like relaxer. This is a biggie (and key to stretching).

3. Pre poo with a moisturizing conditioner. (got this from Jen at 'Just Grow Already') I use my cheapies for this.

4. CERAMIDES. Yes, I'm shouting cuz they're that important. :lol: They keep your hair from getting brittle.

5. Stretch your relaxer. I know, I couldn't stretch either. My longest was something like 8-10 wks. I'm now 6 months post and, no, I'm not going natural. It's just been that easy.

6. Invest in good tools. I bought seamless combs. Best hair investment yet. Very few tangles, no snagging= hair-combing, detangling bliss.

7. Research. I know it seems like the ladies here know it all, and if you just read here, you'll learn all that you need to know. Not true. Your particular head of hair has a particular set of needs. You can't depend on somebody else spoon-feeding you the information you need to make it thrive.

I haven't changed my diet, started working out or drinking the right amount of water or even taking my vits regularly. (You should definitely deal with that anemia, though, don't use me as an example, lol.) I simply changed how I engaged my hair and it has thanked me. That's all I got, hth!

EbonyPerez, I had this same problem! And it was never-ending. For the first three years after I joined, it was just a pattern: grow to APL, chop back to SL, grow to APL, chop back to SL. It was driving me crazy. I finally turned it around last year and this is how. 1. I dusted 1x/mo. for a year. Extreme, I know, but I was losing so much hair anyway with all the breakage and seasonal big chops that I figured wth. At least I'd be losing it on my schedule instead of some beautician's. I did this to give my crown time to catch up and, hopefully, fill in my 'W'. 2. Apply conditioner like relaxer. This is a biggie (and key to stretching). 3. Pre poo with a moisturizing conditioner. (got this from Jen at 'Just Grow Already') I use my cheapies for this. 4. CERAMIDES. Yes, I'm shouting cuz they're that important. :lol: They keep your hair from getting brittle. 5. Stretch your relaxer. I know, I couldn't stretch either. My longest was something like 8-10 wks. I'm now 6 months post and, no, I'm not going natural. It's just been that easy. 6. Invest in good tools. I bought seamless combs. Best hair investment yet. Very few tangles, no snagging= hair-combing, detangling bliss. 7. Research. I know it seems like the ladies here know it all, and if you just read here, you'll learn all that you need to know. Not true. Your particular head of hair has a particular set of needs. You can't depend on somebody else spoon-feeding you the information you need to make it thrive. I haven't changed my diet, started working out or drinking the right amount of water or even taking my vits regularly. (You should definitely deal with that anemia, though, don't use me as an example, lol.) I simply changed how I engaged my hair and it has thanked me. That's all I got, hth!

Wheat ceramide do you use?

And i like the concept of applying conditioner like relaxer!!

Wheat ceramide do you use?
EbonyPerez, I'll take 'em wherever I can find them. :lol: Just looking at my stash, Nexxus products contain them, a lot of Dominican conditioners and leave-in's have them, the Loreal Advanced line in the black bottle has them (there's also a serum). This is better, look for this ingredient: "oleamido". That way you can get your ceramides at any price point.

And i like the concept of applying conditioner like relaxer!!
Girl, it changed my life, r/t. :yep: I go through soooo much conditioner now, though. If you ain't know better, you'd think my hair was waist-length natural. And this is why I say, pre-poo with cheapies and keep your good stuff for dc's.

EbonyPerezwelcome back! :wave: I second going to a dermatologist and getting the hair analysis. Nothing like getting professionals involved and you will know for sure what's wrong.

Back