Spin off --- Does having long hair = arrogance?

shynessqueen

The longer your hair grow the more confidences you feel. Does that mean your confidants will be mistaken for arrogance or everyone favored word stuck--up. Do you think you will be more arrogant mix with confidence? Do you know anyone who grew a lil bit of hair and start acting arrogant or stuck up?

Last edited:
The longer your hair grow the more confidences you feel. Does that mean your confidants will be mistaken for arrogance or everyone favored word stuck--up. Do you think you will be more arrogant mix with confidence?

Interesting. Bump Bump Bump...

Last edited:
The longer your hair grow the more confidences you feel. Does that mean your confidants will be mistaken for arrogance or everyone favored word stuck--up. Do you think you will be more arrogant mix with confidence?

The bolded is not true for me.:nono: My confidence comes from my sense of self and love of self which does not correlate with the length of my hair. I am sure that there may be some people who equate hair length, confidence or some other superficial quality to arrogance or being "stuck up", but that is that person's perception. I am not an arrogant person. Period.:ohwell:

I knew this one girl who was a...Well, I won't write it on this forum. lol. She would always say I have "good" hair, and I'm fine, when I really didn't think she was particularly pretty AT ALL! She sure did, though. I do know some girls like that, who claim they have "goodest," (and that wasn't my words) hair around. :rolleyes:

The bolded is not true for me.:nono: My confidence comes from my sense of self and love of self which does not correlate with the length of my hair. I am sure that there may be some people who equate hair length, confidence or some other superficial quality to arrogance or being "stuck up", but that is that person's perception. I am not an arrogant person. Period.:ohwell:

ITA 100%. i thought i was the cutest thing ever with my TWA, but nobody thought i was "stuck up" then. :rolleyes:

***and shorthairforever... i ran into ALL those girls today. funny how haters just come out of the woodwork because i straightened my hair. :lachen:

ITA 100%. i thought i was the cutest thing ever with my TWA, but nobody thought i was "stuck up" then. :rolleyes:

***and shorthairforever... i ran into ALL those girls today. funny how haters just come out of the woodwork because i straightened my hair. :lachen:

:lachen: People are sooo silly!

Sorry but I already have mucho confidence/arrogance with a good natured twist but hair just adds to it in my honest opinion! I was wondering when your spinoff pf my comment was coming!

ETA:When you have women constantly asking if this is your hair and all this other stuff, its kinda hard not to develop an air of arrogance with your hair!

Sorry but I already have mucho confidence/arrogance with a good natured twist but hair just adds to it in my honest opinion! I was wondering when your spinoff pf my comment was coming!

ETA:When you have women constantly asking if this is your hair and all this other stuff, its kinda hard not to develop an air of arrogance with your hair!

:lachen: You know I don't keep ya waiting to long.

ITA. If you never had something before and you always wanted it and finally get it I think you should let that add on to what's already there. It's accomplishing a goal. If I wasn't going to get anything out of growing my hair what would be the point. yes I'm all that and a bag of chips but now I have a soda with it. :lachen::lachen: Did I say all that and a bag of chips. I need to work on my lines.

:lachen: You know I don't keep ya waiting to long.

ITA. If you never had something before and you always wanted it and finally get it I think you should let that add on to what's already there. It's accomplishing a goal. If I wasn't going to get anything out of growing my hair what would be the point. yes I'm all that and a bag of chips but now I have a soda with it. :lachen::lachen: Did I say all that and a bag of chips. I need to work on my lines.

.Exactly dear, we be the worst ones fa sho!!!:lachen:

Sorry , but my swag changes the longer my hair gets :lol

and maybe its because I think I look so much better with longer hair.

I am a confident person generally , but my swag gets a little heavy

LMAO

I can admit it!!

I agree with Khandi....I think I feel more flyy when I wear my hair straight nowadays. I definitely get more attention....so it does add a little to my "swagger" but Im confident anyways....it just adds a notch.

I am already pretty confident:look: I think having long hair will go more towards a personsl feeling of achievement:drunk: well you might catch me swanging sometimes once I reach my goal :lol:

I am already pretty confident:look: I think having long hair will go more towards a personsl feeling of achievement:drunk: well you might catch me swanging sometimes once I reach my goal :lol:

:lachen: Yeah, thats how i feel. I actually always wanted long hair though, so once i get it I think i'll feel more like "i have it all together"....i think that might make me alittle more confident untill i get used to it as just something about me.
I hope i dont get nasty with it :perplexed Sometimes women just give you an attitude because they are jeoulus, even if your the sweetest person. I have a feeling i'll meet some skank one day with crunchy gelled up jagged eye length hair, and i'll slang it around in front of her & crap. I really hope not :nono:. I try to always remember anything could happen. You could get cancer & loose all of your hair, so i dont want to take it for granted & get to much pride. I also remember i would turn my nose up slightly at black girls w/long hair that thought they "all that" and i would really really want to know how i could ever get it.---I would rather tell everyone i can how to get it rather than flaunt it & make myself feel like thats something i have on other black women. (I still will feel really good about myself that i grew it though:yep:)

I've seen women who have had long hair all of thier life though act "stuck up" because they are the only black women in the room with long hair & because people always compliment them & ask questions....at some point I think you need to get over yourself. And i've seen women finally reach shoulderlength from neck/ear length for the first time & start trippin

Last edited:
"If my hair was long, you couldn't tell me ish." That's a quote from a friend. Seriously tho, I think feeling proud and confident after achieving a goal is healthy. If others interpret that as arrogance too bad!

LMAO

I can admit it!!

ITA :lachen::lachen:Well put.

Yes it does because I know everyone does not have the time, patience and knowledge to achieve what I have. Deep down inside, every woman has wanted long and healthy hair at some point in their life, but they just dont know how to get there. So, they opt for a short hairdo out of change sometimes, but others claim they got tired of having long hair, when they never really had it. Cracks me up when they say that :lachen:.

Last edited:

I was just about to type something very similar when I scrolled down and saw your comment. This is exactly how I feel. It's equivalent to saying that money makes people arrogant. It does not...the person had that in them before they made money the money just gave them the 'confidence' to start acting a complete fool---that's been my experience in dealing with people over the years. I know a few people like this...lol. However, I know many people with money who are some of the greatest, most humble people you would ever meet. Same with hair.....that person just had this in them to begin with and for some reason they think that hair is the 'icing on THEIR cake'. I'd think this person had severe esteem issues honestly and their is nothing confident about that.

Last thing I need is any more stares,compliments and questions about If I'm from the Brazil or not. Now by this time next year when I'm waist length I'm for sure I would be getting more than enough attention. It's kinda of creepy to go some where and alot of people are staring at you while you face them. My husband say he feels like he is with a movie star. It's embarassing because everyone is watching. Can a girl trip over a curb without everybody lookin...dang.I think I would be proud but a little scared of the attention I would get with hair flowing that long. So I would probably appear to be more arrogant and stuck up than people already preceive me to be. I don't wouldn't act that way though.

Last edited:
Yes it does because I know everyone does not have the time, patience and knowledge to achieve what I have. Deep down inside, every woman has wanted long and healthy hair at some point in their life, but they just dont know how to get there. So, they opt for a short hairdo out of change sometimes, but others claim they got tired of having long hair, when they never really had it. Cracks me up when they say that :lachen:.

I don't agree with this either because I know many women who have short hair because they WANT to have short hair and the love it and actually feel more free and confident without a lot of hair:yep:. I used to love my short haircut and wore it that way purposely for years. It was cute and easy and HOT at that time...lol. I also never had a problem growing my hair out..just cut it because I was so used to that short cut and liked it so much. When I got tired of that cut (it took two decades) I decided to grow it out for a different look but I will go short again when I'm a little older too:yep:. Just like my own mother who actually had long hair all of her life and cut it to a short cute haircut (like Camille Cosby) and she's beautiful with it at 74.

I also know women of all races--including black of course---friends, family, acquaintances who did have long hair all of their lives and decided to cut it when they turned 40 or so or even before because they grew tired of long hair. I did the opposite--I'm nearing 38 and wanted a different look...lol so I'm going longer. Everyone doesn't really care to have long hair or even look good with it..sometimes the long hair is just hanging there and a shorter cut gives people a younger, fresher look. Long hair isn't for everyone and isn't the goal of everyone.

I don't agree with this either because I know many women who have short hair because they WANT to have short hair and the love it and actually feel more free and confident without a lot of hair:yep:. I used to love my short haircut and wore it that way purposely for years. It was cute and easy and HOT at that time...lol. I also never had a problem growing my hair out..just cut it because I was so used to that short cut and liked it so much. When I got tired of that cut (it took two decades) I decided to grow it out for a different look but I will go short again when I'm a little older too:yep:. Just like my own mother who actually had long hair all of her life and cut it to a short cute haircut (like Camille Cosby) and she's beautiful with it at 74.

I also know women of all races--including black of course---friends, family, acquaintances who did have long hair all of their lives and decided to cut it when they turned 40 or so or even before because they grew tired of long hair. I did the opposite--I'm nearing 38 and wanted a different look...lol so I'm going longer. Everyone doesn't really care to have long hair or even look good with it..sometimes the long hair is just hanging there and a shorter cut gives people a younger, fresher look. Long hair isn't for everyone and isn't the goal of everyone.

True.:yep: But i think the other poster said that because alot of people believe that hair is a big part of what makes a women beautiful.

And the most part, long hair has been associated with beauty and ideal to how a woman should have her hair, if not their probally wouldnt be so many weaves & things like that :lachen:

But in more recent times, i think it hasnt been all about length, but about style---but long hair i think is still something that is put into little girls minds or whatever as something of beauty, probally not a short hair cut. ---I know i've never met a little girl who wanted a cute short haircut or anything like that:lachen:

True.:yep: But i think the other poster said that because alot of people believe that hair is a big part of what makes a women beautiful.

And the most part, long hair has been associated with beauty and ideal to how a woman should have her hair, if not their probally wouldnt be so many weaves & things like that :lachen:

But in more recent times, i think it hasnt been all about length, but about style---but long hair i think is still something that is put into little girls minds or whatever as something of beauty, probally not a short hair cut. ---I know i've never met a little girl who wanted a cute short haircut or anything like that:lachen:

You know....I think that's true....LOL I think when we are little we all want the "Rapunzel' hair initially..:grin:. Although when I was very little I wanted a big fro like my Aunt. She had this big, healthy afro that I loved and I wanted Chakas wild hair....lol.

Last thing I need is any more stares,compliments and questions about If I'm from the Brazil or not. Now by this time next year when I'm waist length I'm for sure I would be getting more than enough attention. It's kinda of creepy to go some where and alot of people are staring at you while you face them. My husband say he feels like he is with a movie star. It's embarassing because everyone is watching. Can a girl trip over a curb without everybody lookin...dang.I think I would be proud but a little scared of the attention I would get with hair flowing that long. So I would probably appear to be more arrogant and stuck up than people already preceive me to be. I don't wouldn't act that way though.

welcome to my world...

even before i went natural (and my hair was around SL), something about me causes people to stare. i guess i figure if they're gonna stare, i'll give them something to stare at! :lachen:

I was just about to type something very similar when I scrolled down and saw your comment. This is exactly how I feel. It's equivalent to saying that money makes people arrogant. It does not...the person had that in them before they made money the money just gave them the 'confidence' to start acting a complete fool---that's been my experience in dealing with people over the years. I know a few people like this...lol. However, I know many people with money who are some of the greatest, most humble people you would ever meet. Same with hair.....that person just had this in them to begin with and for some reason they think that hair is the 'icing on THEIR cake'. I'd think this person had severe esteem issues honestly and their is nothing confident about that.

Amen to that!! Because if you flip it, and say - if long hair makes you more 'confident' what happens when that long hair is gone? Are you no longer confidient? Are you no longer secure in yourself? That's not healthy confidence, that's a crutch and a facade.....

True confidence comes from inside - no matter what this physical shell is about, I KNOW I'm the hot stuff, and ain't nothing gonna change that - bald or hair to my toes, fat or model thin......

Amen to that!! Because if you flip it, and say - if long hair makes you more 'confident' what happens when that long hair is gone? Are you no longer confidient? Are you no longer secure in yourself? That's not healthy confidence, that's a crutch and a facade.....

True confidence comes from inside - no matter what this physical shell is about, I KNOW I'm the hot stuff, and ain't nothing gonna change that - bald or hair to my toes, fat or model thin..

THERE IT IS! Exactly what I getting at with my post.

The longer your hair grow the more confidences you feel. Does that mean your confidants will be mistaken for arrogance or everyone favored word stuck--up. Do you think you will be more arrogant mix with confidence? Do you know anyone who grew a lil bit of hair and start acting arrogant or stuck up?

My hair is APL now, which is still considered long in the black community but I don't act arrogant or anything. There are many things I could act arrogantly about but it just isn't me as a woman.

I have confidence and it probably will be mistake for arrogance at times. For instance, depending on how I look a particular day, someone may assume I am stuck-up or arrogant but that usually doesn't last for long because my personality outshines people's physical perceptions of me. I always smile and am friendly with anyone, doesn't matter if they are a custodian or a supervisor. I don't do this to prove I am not stuck-up but it is just who I am as an individual.

I feel like that too sometimes. Granted of course, some women do just like short hairstyles but all of my friends just cut their hair short because of damage or they don't know how to retain length.:look:

All this has me thinking now..... the times when I had a twa and a short haircut by choice I was hot..... One of the things I always loved about the DC women was the diversity of hairstyles rocked with confidence. I have always loved short cuts. I know many many women here that keep a fresh short cut or got a fresh short cut after having long hair. One friend in particular keeps her hair short and she is a serious "man magnet!"

Another observation:( I am naturally observant) I was riding the bus up Georgia Ave a few weeks ago and two girls from my alma mater (HU) got on. They had their very detectable weaves, one dark and one "beyonce-esque" and were flipping it and were enjoying the attention that they were getting. We get further up Georgia and a "dc teenage girl" gets on, rocking her punk rock style, (dark brown skinned by the way) with undeniably real midback relaxed hair. These two chicks whole demeanor just changed. They stared at her, I guess searching for tracks, and they kept staring at her then at each other. The young girl wasn't paying any attention to them. It was so funny to me. It was obvious that they had a problem with her.

ETA IMO the chicks with the weaves were "arrogant", because they clearly had a problem with the young girl "taking attention" from them.

Last edited:

LMAO

I can admit it!!

"If my hair was long, you couldn't tell me ish." That's a quote from a friend. Seriously tho, I think feeling proud and confident after achieving a goal is healthy. If others interpret that as arrogance too bad!

ITA with both of your bolded points. I'm not always as confident as I should be, but when someone comments on my hair, it definitely makes me even more confident, just in the same way that losing weight does. I don't see anything wrong with that--kinda motivates me to keep going, even when I slack off.

Well I think that having long hair is
DEFINITELY an accomplishment,
and I am sure if I had it, I would be very proud of it
and I am sure it would show.

Is the arrogrance? I dont think so.

Will some people take it to be arrogance? This I can be sure of :ohwell:

Last edited:
Back