So...I'm a Little Nervous

GlamourGirl

About my Dominican salon appointment I have coming up. I called and made the appointment today and I told her that I wanted a Blowout. She immediately responded with "well you'll need a trim..." Okay:perplexed...so I made a noise in rebuttal but she reassured me "not a cut, a trim." Then she asked how long my hair is and I told her brastrap length, she says good because she loves long hair. That made me feel a little better. So for those who go to Dominican salons are they scissor happy stylist? Any advice on what to get done? I like straight looks, but I also like big curly looks as well. Basically any advice, encouragment, or tips would be great:lol:!

I'm tempted to cancel...it just kind of scares me that she thinks I need a trim and she hasn't seem my hair yet...

Last edited:
Go with your gut on this. I don't think it's right for that stylist to make that kind of judgment call without even SEEING your hair.

Story said:
Go with your gut on this. I don't think it's right for that stylist to make that kind of judgment call without even SEEING your hair.

Yeah that doesn't even sound right...she's NEVER seen my hair...I just talked to my mom about it and she said "nope...cancel it.:lol:" And that is exactly what my gut is telling me to do.

oobrittany said:
How did she know that you needed a trim without seeing your hair?

I know...I was taken aback when as soon as I said I wanted a rolleset, she says "well you're going to need a trim." It just doesn't sound right:nono:

That is a little weird that she said u needed a trim before even seeing your hair. However, I have had trims at my dominican salon and they cut so little off and it looked sleek!

If you go, tell her a trim the next time. I wouldn't get a trim/cut on the first visit anywhere.

GlamourGirl said:
Yeah that doesn't even sound right...she's NEVER seen my hair...I just talked to my mom about it and she said "nope...cancel it.:lol:" And that is exactly what my gut is telling me to do.

I'm with mom.

She's never even seen your hair, what is she psychic?

I would not let her even attempt to bring out the scissors...make sure she goes easy with that rat tail comb if she uses one. Just be very alert and aware of what she is doing.

Yeah I think you guys are right...I think I'm going to cancel...The thing about it is that she made it seem like she would not do my hair unless I got a trim and as far as I'm concerned it's my hair. So I think I am going to cancel right now.

GlamourGirl said:
Yeah I think you guys are right...I think I'm going to cancel...The thing about it is that she made it seem like she would not do my hair unless I got a trim and as far as I'm concerned it's my hair. So I think I am going to cancel right now.

oh hells no...cancel. There are plenty of other places. Looking your siggy, it does not look like you need a trim either.

LocksOfLuV said:
WTH!! That's what I was thinking.... Oh HELL no.

Do (according to YOU) you even need a trim?

I don't think I need one...I have no probs getting trims but I wanted to wait till I reached my goal. In fact the more I answer these questions the more I realize that I should cancel. And then the fact that I'd be getting a trim from somebody I'm going to the very first time:ohwell:.

Wait a minute...how does she know you need a trim? :nono: I don't truss it...

GlamourGirl said:
About my Dominican salon appointment I have coming up. I called and made the appointment today and I told her that I wanted a Blowout. She immediately responded with "well you'll need a trim..." Okay:perplexed...so I made a noise in rebuttal but she reassured me "not a cut, a trim." Then she asked how long my hair is and I told her brastrap length, she says good because she loves long hair. That made me feel a little better. So for those who go to Dominican salons are they scissor happy stylist? Any advice on what to get done? I like straight looks, but I also like big curly looks as well. Basically any advice, encouragment, or tips would be great:lol:!

I'm tempted to cancel...it just kind of scares me that she thinks I need a trim and she hasn't seem my hair yet...

msbrown76 said:
Wait a minute...how does she know you need a trim? :nono: I don't truss it...

Gir she doesn't. Her exact words were "you're going to need a trim." I could have had my hair trimmed a week ago.

If you go, I would sincerely suggest that you tell her right off. "No trim, no scissors anywhere near my hair and no rat tail combs. If you can't do that, we need to cancel, better yet give me the name of that girl over there and I'll make an appointment with her instead."

That oughta do it. Be assertive, she sure was! Oh and by the way maybe she gets a little more money if you get a blowout,rollerset and a trim.
I hope it works out for you because I know what it's like to have your hopes all high.

Whatever you do, don't let her tell you what to do about your hair! You make those decisions and nobody else.

lana said:
If you go, I would sincerely suggest that you tell her right off. "No trim, no scissors anywhere near my hair and no rat tail combs. If you can't do that, we need to cancel, better yet give me the name of that girl over there and I'll make an appointment with her instead."

That oughta do it. Be assertive, she sure was! Oh and by the way maybe she gets a little more money if you get a blowout,rollerset and a trim.
I hope it works out for you because I know what it's like to have your hopes all high.

Whatever you do, don't let her tell you what to do about your hair! You make those decisions and nobody else.

Yes, I think it is 35 with a trim, 30 without. You know...I just went ahead and canceled. I'll try somebody else. I am a little dissapointed but atleast I still have my hair:lol:.

LOL, it's good to follow the gutt on this one, or make her give up her scissors when you walk in the door :lol: , I don't blame you for canceling. Another thing, never let a stylist turn you away from the mirror or atleast have a hand held one to watch their every move. Better yet ladies who frequent the salon take your own hand held mirror :lol: , that'll show 'em.

GG, I've seen your hair, and you soooo don't need a trim. Your ends are healthy and not split. Good thing you canceled. That felt like another horror story waiting to happen.

TBeBe said:
GG, I've seen your hair, and you soooo don't need a trim. Your ends are healthy and not split. Good thing you canceled. That felt like another horror story waiting to happen.

Aww thanks TBeBe! I know I feel relieved now. I'm going to try someone else.

OT: Were you looking for me yesterday..lol I'll be back next week...I was having car issues.

Last edited:
GlamourGirl said:
Aww thanks TBeBe! I know I fell relieved now. I'm going to try someone else.

OT: Were you looking for me yesterday..lol I'll be back next week...I was having car issues.

Hubby is a stylist, and I'll PM you with the details. He said he'll hook you up affordably. He saw some pics of your hair (w/ a shirt on) and I showed him the products you use in your fotki.

OT: We missed you yesterday!! I had car issues too, my mom had to come get me from Carrollton. LOL

la flaca said:
RRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNN!!:eek:

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:Exactly. Be assertive and self empowered when it comes to ANYONE messing w/ your body or hair. Minority women especially need to do this since we are consistently being taken advantage of, not listened to, and taken for granted. You don't even need to think twice about it. You did the right thing in canceling that appointment. Stand up for yourself girl. Way to go. :clapping:

tnorenberg said:
:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:Exactly. Be assertive and self empowered when it comes to ANYONE messing w/ your body or hair. Minority women especially need to do this since we are consistently being taken advantage of, not listened to, and taken for granted. You don't even need to think twice about it. You did the right thing in canceling that appointment. Stand up for yourself girl. Way to go. :clapping:

Thanks tnorenberg:). I feel better about it now thanks to what you and the other ladies have said. I am glad I did the right thing.

lol yeah that sounds realy off:perplexed unless she is just trying to get a couple extra dollars for a trim ..iono...but good thing u canceled:)

MissMadaam said:
lol yeah that sounds realy off:perplexed unless she is just trying to get a couple extra dollars for a trim ..iono...but good thing u canceled:)

Yeah...and that' really sad. Don't be trimming my hair for five extra dollars...:lol:

Glam where is the salon or what is name? (you can PM me if you like) The one I went to, she told me I needed about 2 inches gone. Well, when she got finished, I DID not let her cut my hair. She kept bugging me about a relaxer also. I firmally said NO! Then she felt the need to explain to how she can do a relaxer abc xyz. If you dont want your hair cut. Just firmly say no.

Letitia said:
Glam where is the salon or what is name? (you can PM me if you like) The one I went to, she told me I needed about 2 inches gone. Well, when she got finished, I DID not let her cut my hair. She kept bugging me about a relaxer also. I firmally said NO! Then she felt the need to explain to how she can do a relaxer abc xyz. If you dont want your hair cut. Just firmly say no.

Okay Letitia I'm sending you a pm now.

Back