Slow growers unite 2014

I'm focusing more on positive gains versus actual length. I did my last dusting for a while last Friday and I am keeping my hair up. So with growth, better retention and fewer dustings I am expecting noticeable positive gains by December.

Another .5"! I'll be happy if I can continue on this average growth trend!

ForumRunner_20140618_200538.jpg

Sent from my Snow White Frost Galaxy S4 using LHCF

My flat twists are getting longer and easier to style. Not getting inches but I will take it. Faster and easier styling is my goal.

Hi ladies. I measured various spots in my hair. My sides have grown about 2" in the past six months. The back though? pffft. :yawn:

I plan on doing some type of rollerset on Wednesday so I will see how much progress I have made. I have been doing a lot of dusting and clipping splits so I won't have a lot of progress but at least I have a little something to show for it.

Hair type: 4C RELAXED

Did you ever have long hair as a child? nope my hair has been neck length the majority of my life from childhood until my last year in highschool

How long have you been on your hair journey ? my first journey 4 years went natural new relaxed journey 6 months

Was your hair damaged when you started your journey ? before my initial hair journey damaged overprocessed ear length

How long did it take you to get from where you were length and health wise to where you are now ? my new journey is progressing smoothly

What are the hair issues responsible for impeding your growth ? shedding with birth control use..dryness with high blood pressure meds..scalp dryness

If you managed to turn your hair round, how did you manage it? Protective styling, washing/dc weekly, scalp messages with jbco mixes

Well, I went from I’m not going to obsess over my hair growth to I’m going to start LC'ing every month.

From now until the end of next June I will measure my hair at the end of each month to track my growth. My goal is to see how much my hair actually grows each month. I know that I'm a slow grower, just not sure how slow. I have a journal to track changes I notice and I have created a spreadsheet to track my monthly LC in inches. I will post my updates in this thread.

Even though I will be measuring monthly I will still only do official photo LC once a quarter.

Lightly Pressed my hair today, so I could dust. It looks like I'm retaining my length well. I only think I gained about 1/2 a inch though :ohwell:. Its cool though. I'll take all that I can :yep:.

I am enjoying my hair at its current length. Sure I would like it to be longer, but today I am living in the moment. I am rocking a fluffy braidout and I love it!!

I've been meaning to introduce myself for a while in this thread. I need the support of other ladies when I start getting depressed over how slow my growth is. Anywho, my intro:

Hair type: Relaxed, though I'm slowly transitioning to texlaxed

Did you ever have long hair as a child? Nah. The longest my hair has ever been is SL. Ever. From a baby til I started my HJ.

How long have you been on your hair journey ? It'll be 3 years this September!

Was your hair damaged when you started your journey ? Kind of. But I got a fresh relaxer and a haircut my first day to give myself a clean slate to start with.

How long did it take you to get from where you were length and health wise to where you are now ? Health wise, probably a year or so. While my hair has never been unhealthy or damaged exactly, it's sooooo much healthier now than it was when I wasn't on my journey.

What are the hair issues responsible for impeding your growth ? Unfortunately just plain ol' genetics. I've always had slow growing hair, even as a baby. If you look at some of my old baby pics, I have peach fuzz in the back with a nice high top up front. Stayed that way for years :lol:

If you managed to turn your hair round, how did you manage it? Honestly, getting on a hair journey. My hair is the healthiest, longest it's ever been. While I didn't have horrible practices pre-journey, they definitely could have been better. I am so so so grateful for all the things that this board and other resources have taught me about my hair and black hair in general.

Oh, and as a bonus (and to boost me up, because I'm kinda feeling frustrated at my growth right now), I'm including pictures of the first day of my hair journey to when I got my hair relaxed and cut almost 2 weeks ago. Keep in mind this is almost 3 years of growth. Slow progress but great nonetheless I like to think. I'm thinking another 2 years or so til I get to MBL with how I grow. Ugh. Just thinking about that makes me wanna throw my hands up in the air:sad:

Attachments

• 678.jpg
    678.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 29
  • hair 039.jpg
    hair 039.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 38
So it looks like after a month of braids and measuring my new growth, I'm at 1/2 an inch. I think my hair grows faster in the summertime. I usually get anywhere from 1/4-1/3 an inch in the colder months.

Interesting. Still plugging along :lol:.

I've been meaning to introduce myself for a while in this thread. I need the support of other ladies when I start getting depressed over how slow my growth is. Anywho, my intro:

Hair type: Relaxed, though I'm slowly transitioning to texlaxed

Did you ever have long hair as a child? Nah. The longest my hair has ever been is SL. Ever. From a baby til I started my HJ.

How long have you been on your hair journey ? It'll be 3 years this September!

Was your hair damaged when you started your journey ? Kind of. But I got a fresh relaxer and a haircut my first day to give myself a clean slate to start with.

How long did it take you to get from where you were length and health wise to where you are now ? Health wise, probably a year or so. While my hair has never been unhealthy or damaged exactly, it's sooooo much healthier now than it was when I wasn't on my journey.

What are the hair issues responsible for impeding your growth ? Unfortunately just plain ol' genetics. I've always had slow growing hair, even as a baby. If you look at some of my old baby pics, I have peach fuzz in the back with a nice high top up front. Stayed that way for years :lol:

If you managed to turn your hair round, how did you manage it? Honestly, getting on a hair journey. My hair is the healthiest, longest it's ever been. While I didn't have horrible practices pre-journey, they definitely could have been better. I am so so so grateful for all the things that this board and other resources have taught me about my hair and black hair in general.

Oh, and as a bonus (and to boost me up, because I'm kinda feeling frustrated at my growth right now), I'm including pictures of the first day of my hair journey to when I got my hair relaxed and cut almost 2 weeks ago. Keep in mind this is almost 3 years of growth. Slow progress but great nonetheless I like to think. I'm thinking another 2 years or so til I get to MBL with how I grow. Ugh. Just thinking about that makes me wanna throw my hands up in the air:sad:

Looks really good

Froreal3 I can never get a braidout to last longer than a day. I called myself pineappling and I woke up with a hot mess :lol: Im just gonna wear buns for the next week lol

^^^^

You are looking like a healthy APL.
Keep up the good work !!!

missyrayne19 Your hair looks so good! Keep it up. Something is obviously working. :yep:

Looks really good

Thanks ladies! :grin: I only grow about 4 inches a year, and that's if I retain every SINGLE inch. And don't even get me started on trims... :lol: You know how annoying it is when girls shave their hair or even start their journey after you and surpass your length in months while it takes you YEARS just to get to your next short term goal?! Gah!! But oh well, this was the hand I was dealt and I will just suck it up. Now excuse me while I go invert and try and bust out an extra inch :lol:

^^Don't forget to post pics faithVA!

I decided not to do my hair at all :lol: I'm so over my hair. I couldn't bring myself to even wash it over the holiday, so I didn't do a curlformer set. I'm going to wait until September and maybe I will be feeling better about it. And it also won't be so hot.

All I can say is my hair is healthier. The vitamins internally are giving a growth spurt. But still. Two years post BC and should be close to apl not waiting for my crown to make nl!!

Luckily its in crochets right now or she'd be cursed out. Lol

Im still trying to recoving the 1-1.5inches I lost in May. It would be nice to have that back by then end of July. I put my hair in twist and pinned them up on saturday, haven't restyled as of yet! I may wear the same style all week...oh well!!!

Back