SL 2013 Challenge!!~~~

Did an extremely light dusting on Monday night of barely ¼ of an inch (if that much) then M&S w/ Elasta QP Olive & Mango Butter & EVCO. I love dusting, it keeps the ends so much healthier looking! Tuesday night I oiled my scalp w/ Castor oil and pre-poo’d the rest of my hair w/ Grapeseed oil because I’ll be doing my clarifying tonight when I get off. As usual, wigged it out today.

cinnespice what curl junkie stuff did you get? I've been drooling over this line for a while but I probably won't buy anything until next year.

I clarified today and am doing a protein treatment with ORS mayo. Then the rows are going back in hopefully tonight but maybe tmrw because its getting late...
Babygrowth
I ordered:
Deep fix Hibiscus and banana -This smells so good i kept sniffing the bottle:spinning:
Curl rehab Gardenia- coconut scent - I used this last night my hair was so soft
Repair me

^^ oh man that sounds awesome!

Sooo my hair feels a little proteinish after my protein treatment and I'm thinking maybe I don't need regular protein treatments just continue to use my little protein in every wash. Anyway no cornrows today. I'm going to rewash tmrw in hopes that it will feel better. I don't feel like doing it today. Tmrw I will do like 4 big braids instead of my normal 8 because I have noticed that my hair seems to be thriving in cornrows...

I'm in.

What length are you now?

2.5 inches

Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning?

Natural

What retention methods do you plan on using?

Sew-ins and Wigs (so basically cornrows)

Are you taking supplements are doing anything else special?

Nope. But I may start taking my daily multi vitamin again. Anemia ain't no joke.

Other Info:

As for my hair at this moment, I'm currently cornrowed under a wig (which I will be sewing in tomorrow). Wig = It's A Wig Indian Remi Natural 1214 and I'm lovin' it.

I'm seriously battling dry, flaky scalp. I've even tried that Neutrogena tar shampoo and it didn't help. Nothing is helping. I might have to break down and buy some JBCO.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2(2).jpg
    imagejpeg_2(2).jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 17
So, I've decided to texlax my hair next week because my hair is acting out. I'm scared tho because I need to trim my hair and I don't know what I'm doing. I want to keep the little bit of length I have so I'm tempted to wait until my next relaxer when my hair is longer and its warm outside so I will want to wear my hair out. Idk what do y'all think I should do?

Evallusion said:
I'm in.

What length are you now?

2.5 inches

Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning?

Natural

What retention methods do you plan on using?

Sew-ins and Wigs (so basically cornrows)

Are you taking supplements are doing anything else special?

Nope. But I may start taking my daily multi vitamin again. Anemia ain't no joke.

Other Info:

As for my hair at this moment, I'm currently cornrowed under a wig (which I will be sewing in tomorrow). Wig = It's A Wig Indian Remi Natural 1214 and I'm lovin' it.

I'm seriously battling dry, flaky scalp. I've even tried that Neutrogena tar shampoo and it didn't help. Nothing is helping. I might have to break down and buy some JBCO.

Hi Evallusion,

Have you read 'The science of black hair by Audrey Davis Sivasothy'? It has some good tips in it for getting rid of a dry scalp amongst other things. You should check it out! Gives the best hair advice I've ever read!

[USER=337285 said:
Babygrowth[/USER];17384813]So, I've decided to texlax my hair next week because my hair is acting out. I'm scared tho because I need to trim my hair and I don't know what I'm doing. I want to keep the little bit of length I have so I'm tempted to wait until my next relaxer when my hair is longer and its warm outside so I will want to wear my hair out. Idk what do y'all think I should do?

Why do you think you need a trim?

If you need to dust your ends then do it. Waiting a month may lead to breakage. Unless your hair has been struggling, you shouldn't need to take off more than 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

Since you are going to texlax, then texlax and then dust your ends. Not sure how you usually wear your hair but you can try rollersetting it or putting it in twist to let it dry and then dust the ends. If you don't do either of those, you will somehow need to get your hair in manageable sections so you can dust small pieces at a time.

Are you scared because you've never done this before?

How long is your hair?

Hey Evallusion. I haven't seen you in a while. Welcome!

Go for the JBCO. I have been using my oil blend consistently and it has really been helping with my scalp. Applying the oil blend before my DC and then sitting under my heat cap has really helped. Also if you have a conditioner that is also a scalp treatment you may want to try that as well. AO conditioners are also scalp treatments. They suggest massaging them into the scalp.

Hope you find something that works.

Checking in for the first day of December! Where has this year gone?

I've been wigging it for about 3 weeks now. Nothing new to report really lol. Although I think I need to start applying JBCO more often. The colder temps is make my scalp super dry :sad:

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF

Yep nothing new for me either. Just wearing a puff all week again! I wanted to start rollersetting but I dk about all the time and precision it takes.

Do any of you ladies self trim, and if so, how??

Also, is there a difference between cutting hair with scissors and breaking it off by hand or a razor??

Why do you think you need a trim? Because its been a while and I thought it should be done with each chemical service...

If you need to dust your ends then do it. Waiting a month may lead to breakage. Unless your hair has been struggling, you shouldn't need to take off more than 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

Since you are going to texlax, then texlax and then dust your ends. Not sure how you usually wear your hair but you can try rollersetting it or putting it in twist to let it dry and then dust the ends. If you don't do either of those, you will somehow need to get your hair in manageable sections so you can dust small pieces at a time.

Are you scared because you've never done this before? Yep!!!

How long is your hair?

Answers in bold and below.

My hair is about 3-5 inches all over I think. I'm going to measure it and do a length check next week. I normally let my hair airdry in a fro but I was thinking I should flat iron it this time because I haven't seen my hair straight in a long time and just trim or dust those ends but I watched a few videos on youtube so I'm not as nervous.

Also, is there a difference between cutting hair with scissors and breaking it off by hand or a razor??

I self trim once every other month. While Im dcing I put my hair in twists and cut about 1/4 in or I will use my split ender.

You dont want to break off with hand bc you will cause splits/breakage. I havent used a razor so dk but I guess as long as it sharp blade and you are doing a straight across cut and not like a slice it could work.

[USER=337285 said:
Babygrowth[/USER];17389037]

Answers in bold and below.

My hair is about 3-5 inches all over I think. I'm going to measure it and do a length check next week. I normally let my hair airdry in a fro but I was thinking I should flat iron it this time because I haven't seen my hair straight in a long time and just trim or dust those ends but I watched a few videos on youtube so I'm not as nervous.

There's no rule to trim when you do a chemical service. You can choose to dust on a schedule. I do every 8 to 12 weeks because I can tell my ends need it. Or you can just dust when you see your ends are having issues.

Make sure you take the appropriate measures when flat ironing. Glad the yt videos helped.

I dust 1/8" to 1/4 inch every 8 to 12 weeks. I always do it on curly hair. I don't like to straighten my hair. It varies. When my hair was longer I would put in 2 strand twists and cut the ends. Now that my hair is shorter, I take the hair that I am getting ready to twist, and cut the hair at that stage. Then I twist it up.

Breaking the hair off, is just that breaking the hair. It will tear your hair and put it in worse shape. I don't know about the razor.

faithVA its been a long time since I flat ironed my hair and I've been studying techniques. Is there anything I need to know besides doing it in small sections, using heat protectant, making sure the hair is clean and deep conditioned, and not using the highest temperature if its not needed?

@faithVA its been a long time since I flat ironed my hair and I've been studying techniques. Is there anything I need to know besides doing it in small sections, using heat protectant, making sure the hair is clean and deep conditioned, and not using the highest temperature if its not needed?

Sorry Babygrowth. I have no tips. I have never flatironed my hair :ohwell:

I dont think I will be able to hit SL all round my head, but I'll hang if you ladies are.:look:

Im EL on crown, near chin on sides, near bottom of neck on nape (but it's thin there:ohwell:). Oh and I should trim at some point.

I will be protective styling and keeping it simple! Low manipulation. Redo cornrows every 2-3 weeks.

impatiently waiting on my steamer to arrive. I think it just the thing to boost my retention by eliminating the dryness I've been dealing with.

Joining!!! I think I can make it this year. I'm NL and relaxed right now. I'm going to DC one a week with heat, cowash once a week, m&s twice a day, castor oil on my scalp twice a week, no direct heat, stretching my relaxers about 12-14 weeks, no supplements, just a multivitamin and regular workouts. Will post pics later

ETA: starting pics

image-4274639362.jpg

image-1842094062.jpg

My camera phone skills are limited but here it is

Last edited:
Co-washed last night w/ Suave Almond /Shea Butter & I’m not sure whether I prefer this one or the Herbal Essence Hello Hydration better. They both do a pretty sufficient job. Did a moisturizing DC w/ Elasta QP DPR & wrapped. M & S’d today & used Pine Tar & Castor oil on my edges. Wrapped my hair up all day long. Cantu Shea Butter leave-in conditioner is the bomb!! I’ve been using it for a month now (which has been about 8 times so far) & my hair feels super great after I un-wrap it the next morning!! Been keeping up w/ my vitamins everyday also. My hair has gotten a lot thicker & I’m thinking of Texlaxing from now on instead of relaxing for the simple fact that my hair feels so limp when its bone straight from relaxing. I prefer the way that it feels a few weeks after relaxing when it has some texture to it. Going to do some more research on it though. I plan on stretching for 12 weeks if possible & I’m just passed 6 weeks right now so I have plenty of time to figure it out.

Hi Evallusion,

Have you read 'The science of black hair by Audrey Davis Sivasothy'? It has some good tips in it for getting rid of a dry scalp amongst other things. You should check it out! Gives the best hair advice I've ever read!

I don't think I've read that one but I will look into it.

Hey @Evallusion. I haven't seen you in a while. Welcome!

Go for the JBCO. I have been using my oil blend consistently and it has really been helping with my scalp. Applying the oil blend before my DC and then sitting under my heat cap has really helped. Also if you have a conditioner that is also a scalp treatment you may want to try that as well. AO conditioners are also scalp treatments. They suggest massaging them into the scalp.

Hope you find something that works.

Hey there. And yup, I've been MIA for a while (I'm mostly in Health&Fitness and Off topic). But I'm back for now. I can't believe I'm gonna type this but I got so desperate that I greased my scalp with Vaseline. Times is hard :lachen: But yeah, I'm gonna see how this goes because I refuse to buy anything until the summer.

My hair has been ridiculously dry from sweating underneath my wig when I work out. So I’ve decided that I’m going to do some kinky twists to be able to maintain my hair & be comfortable working out. I’ll co-wash & DC on Thursday night. Then M&S Friday morning & start working on my twists Friday night. I have never done my own braids & I’m not sure how long it’s going take me so I’m giving myself about 4 hours Friday night & all of Saturday to work on them.

Did you get the cocoa deep con? If so you are going to love it. The smell is very strong but its nice chocolaty aroma. I have been wanting to get the yam one but havent yet!

HairPleezeGrow, I'm so sorry that I am just seeing this! I don't want you to think I was ignoring you. I got the YAM Nourishier - I may have to consider that cocoa deep con, though. Sounds yummy! Do you use it with heat or without?

Hey ladies! Hope y'all had a good day!

So, tonight I prepooed my hair with my eve avocado oil, shampooed with my Elasta QP creme shampoo, followed by Roux Mendex then Roux Moisture recovery and finally my hair is starting to feel normal. My shedding is back to normal and my hair feels so fluffy and soft. When it finishes drying I'm going to put cornrows in. I decided to push my relaxer back a week to make sure my hair is in tip top shape when I do it.:yep:

What length are you now? NL

Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning? Relaxed

What retention methods do you plan on using? Protective styling, upping both protein and moisture, reducing manipulation

Are you taking supplements are doing anything else special? I'm taking MSM, Biotin, Silica and a multi. I'm also using a sulfur oil mix.

I'm only a few inches from SL, but I do need to trim off some bad ends; holding on to scraggely ends is useless. :naughty:

ETA| Additional questions:
I should be at least grazing SL with healthy ends at the end of March when I relax. I plan to be full SL in June.

The growth aids I'm using are the supplements and oil mix I mentioned before + collagen.

Attachments

• IMG_20121114_224252.jpg
    IMG_20121114_224252.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Back