SJ's Reasons She Can't Get BTK- I think....

Lucky's Mom

Yup - Another BTK Thread - :giggle:

I think that the following would be the reasons that I could not get BTK - But I may be completely wrong....
Can you vets help a sista out?????

Reason One.

I love DC'ing and shampooing my hair... with oils, , natural stuff, etc.

All the directions say - you have to use BTK Poos and Condishes.... Is this true?

Reason Two.

I have become a henna/Cassia head. Would I able to still do that?

Reason Three.

I try to stay away far away from the heat. I would like straight hair - But with a rollerset. Could I do that?

Reason Four.

I trust no one in my hair. Too many hair disasters to mention. Is Liquid Keratin 'safer' than others?

It is highly unlikely DH will allow 300 bucks to rinse down the drain by me going to a salon, and it is more likely that they will rip lots of my hair out to do the process............ um - don't want that.

OK - There ya go...
Any input would be appreciated.

I am far from a vet with BKT but I will answer where I can.

I think that the following would be the reasons that I could not get BTK - But I may be completely wrong....

Reason One.

All the directions say - you have to use BTK Poos and Condishes.... Is this true?

No, I have used WEN Fig and also Aubrey Organics with no problems. You only need to avoid products with sodium.

Reason Two.

I don't use henna/cassia but if they are color treatments, then BKT can be applied AFTER the henna/cassia. Color treatments help BKT work better.

Reason Three.

I try to stay away far away from the heat. I would like straight hair - But with a rollerset. Could I do that?

I did a rollerset after my first BKT (used too much setting lotion) and it came out nice. You can also blow out the roots if it's not straight enough from the rollerset.

Reason Four.

I trust no one in my hair. Too many hair disasters to mention. Is Liquid Keratin 'safer' than others?

Liquid Keratin is the Ulta version with no formaldehyde and although I have heard that it works, it wears off much faster. Formaldehyde seems to be the active ingredient in BKT that makes them work.

It is highly unlikely DH will allow 300 bucks to rinse down the drain by me going to a salon, and it is more likely that they will rip lots of my hair out to do the process............ um - don't want that.

Some stylist, no matter what you are having done, have no clue how to deal with natural hair so you may have to teach them. I did have to show the stylist how to handle my hair both times that I got BKT. These are both licensed stylist too - one from Aveda. I also had to show another stylist (her mom really) how to do my comb out last month for a blowout & flat iron (not BKT). The stylist ended up doing it since I think her mom got upset that I kept stopping her and demonstrating over and over how she should comb out my hair - bottom up & not root to tip.

I have not paid more than $100 for BKT in NYC. The Lasio brand treatment was $75 and today was $99 for the Rejuvenol brand treatment. Check craigslist.com or maybe angieslist.com

OK - There ya go...

Reason One.

Reason Two.

Reason Three.

Reason Four.

OK - There ya go...

I understand you on that one. That's how I've been able to grow my hair out from a I kid you not buzz cut. I'm talking low like 1/2 an inch. (thyroid issues but also I just got tired of everyone saying it was "my fault" did I wrap it right? Etc. I was relaxed since I was a child so I decided to buzz it off and care for it myself because if I screwed it up at least it was ALL me.). So I GET it. I think whatever you do when you go to someone, just make sure your voice is heard and if they're crazy get the H$#l out! I KNOW you'll let your voice be heard from what I've seen in the threads.

Also, I think I have to release some of the control within reason too, but with thorough research. I figure if I research like crazy the people I allow in my head, like I do the products I allow on my head to get my hair to this length, then I'll be okay. I don't think I'll go to someone all the time either. But I am leaning to the BKT so I'll have to release some control once every 3-5 months. Once I let this lady press my hair, but only after seeing the condition of the hair of everyone else in the salon. I went by there twice to see her technique. Boy was she laughing at me.:grin: But you know what? I still have hair on my head so she can laugh away. I love her. Too bad I moved back to NYC or I'd still be using her in los angeles.

Her name is Carla. I referred another member who pm'd me to her and they thanked me for it. I'm not certain...I'll call and ask. When she was in the salon of course! The reason I'm not certain is that she left the salon and now works from home or comes to your house while she's going back to school. I texted her to say hi back in Sept, so I don't know if she's even doing hair right now at all as it's been a while since I contacted her (as she went back to school). She's licensed, around my mom's age and what I really like is that she "deals" with me and all my drama. Meaning when I'm like I want this type of comb and I want it done like this, and only cut this much, she rolls her eyes but she does EXACTLY what I say. She handles both relaxed and natural and what I love about her is that she is really delicate with combing out the hair, and everything.

I have to say when I said Once I mean once upon a time. I went to her on several occasions (twice at the salon) once at her home and my hair was always tight (look) but also always healthy which is the most important part. If she thinks it's okay to post her number after I talk to her I will (it's her cell). I'll also check to see if she's still doing hair (or on haitus while in school). In addition if she doesn't want her cell posted, but she's still doing hair I'll pm you with her number (as I'm sure she doesn't mind me giving it out individually like before).

To each their own, but it just seems like too many restrictions and extras for me. Ioknow, still don't trust it. BKT is officially the spring '09 bandwagon.

To each their own, but it just seems like too many restrictions and extras for me. Ioknow, still don't trust it. BKT is officially the spring '09 bandwagon.

It's been out since 2007 and people can't google up horrible results. So after 2 years people feel comfortable getting the treatment. There's nothing to distrust especially if you relax, it's not lye or no-lye. It's demi-permanent straightner nothing more nothing less.

It's been out since 2007 and people can't google up horrible results. So after 2 years people feel comfortable getting the treatment. There's nothing to distrust especially if you relax, it's not lye or no-lye. It's demi-permanent straightner nothing more nothing less.

Like my first post said, to each their own.

I think it's interesting that people turn their noses up at using miconazole nitrate--something that is designed to be put in/used on a woman's most delicate parts--on their scalp but they have no problem using something that's used to preserve dead bodies on their hair!

My Reasons:
Don't want to inhale any of the chemicals.
Don't want to risk another setback.

I just finished speaking with a hairstylist whom I respect and she did not recommend it at all. Her main reason was due to the inhalation of fumes. And she said, "I will not risk my health or the health of my clients for a fad". Her words, not mine...

I did some research yesterday, and Dr. Ali Syed answered a question in his comments about it last October. He said, "The FDA allows the use of formaldehyde up to the 0.10 level but very few companies use it as a preservative. For good straightening results one needs to use 1.5% or more of formaldehyde. Hence, no credible company will want to utilize formaldehyde for straightening purposes."

So the 5% of me that wanted to try it is done. I'm just going to do my best to skip past the BKT threads, because some of those pictures are too tempting.

SJ, I will not be using BKT because:

• I don't fix what isn't broken and a flat iron works just well for me, thank you very much.
  • I don't like all the heat used, never mind how many times you coat the hair with a protectant; I mean, I pass a flat iron through my hair just twice (and that's the only heat I use (no blow drying or rollersetting beforehand) and I love the peace of mind and results I get, so not looking for any other method.
  • I don't believe in "new products" that haven't passed the test of time (I keep hearing everyone saying it's safe but it's early days yet IMO)...nor do I like any procedure that involves having to play catch up with new growth because it isn't the same texture as the old hair (OK, I hear it washes off, but I still think that the new growth will be a few steps behind where the old hair is, no matter what anyone says. JMO.)
  • My hair is fine enough without me turning it into wisps of hair, which is what I think BKT would do to my hair--just from seeing some results. :look:
  • Last but not least, I LOVE...nay, ADORE my hair texture. I can't imagine not having a say about WHEN I can see my coilies...and having to wait for "the new effect to wear out". I think I'd probably lose it, buy a gun, and start shooting everyone :gunner7: out of frustration :pullhair: and depression. :crybaby: OK, OK a bit dramatic, I know. :giggle: but I like the "spontaneity" my hair affords me, not to mention the versatility, that I cannot imagine being at the mercy of some procedure. I like to be in control. :kneel:

Thanks VeeJee.

Yep - there has been a lot of research done.

I guess for me. I cannot get over the Fumes, Goggles, Fans, and the like...:look::look::look:

In addition - I have checked out the ladies who have had this done ( the Before pics, in terms of hair type) - and - it is not mine.... it tends to be wavy/ silkier than mine.

So - I just keep asking questions.
Like all the other bandwagons............... Giving it time will be helpful.

I think it's interesting that people turn their noses up at using miconazole nitrate--something that is designed to be put in/used on a woman's most delicate parts--on their scalp but they have no problem using something that's used to preserve dead bodies on their hair!

Um, yea....I never said I was going there.
Again, Fumes, gas masks, fans................
:ohwell:

Last edited:
My Reasons:
Don't want to inhale any of the chemicals.
Don't want to risk another setback.

I just finished speaking with a hairstylist whom I respect and she did not recommend it at all. Her main reason was due to the inhalation of fumes. And she said, "I will not risk my health or the health of my clients for a fad". Her words, not mine...

I did some research yesterday, and Dr. Ali Syed answered a question in his comments about it last October. He said, "The FDA allows the use of formaldehyde up to the 0.10 level but very few companies use it as a preservative. For good straightening results one needs to use 1.5% or more of formaldehyde. Hence, no credible company will want to utilize formaldehyde for straightening purposes."

So the 5% of me that wanted to try it is done. I'm just going to do my best to skip past the BKT threads, because some of those pictures are too tempting.

Thanks BG. That sums it up.

I was on this path anyway. I woulod not pay 300 bucks - but - I don't think getting all DMDM Hydatonin at once is my idea of a good time. People say Relaxers are safe. They are not for me. My hair line can tell you all about that.
:kiss: Thanks again.

Last edited:
SJ, I will not be using BKT because:

• I don't fix what isn't broken and a flat iron works just well for me, thank you very much.
  • I don't like all the heat used, never mind how many times you coat the hair with a protectant; I mean, I pass a flat iron through my hair just twice (and that's the only heat I use (no blow drying or rollersetting beforehand) and I love the peace of mind and results I get, so not looking for any other method.
  • I don't believe in "new products" that haven't passed the test of time (I keep hearing everyone saying it's safe but it's early days yet IMO)...nor do I like any procedure that involves having to play catch up with new growth because it isn't the same texture as the old hair (OK, I hear it washes off, but I still think that the new growth will be a few steps behind where the old hair is, no matter what anyone says. JMO.)
  • My hair is fine enough without me turning it into wisps of hair, which is what I think BKT would do to my hair--just from seeing some results. :look:
  • Last but not least, I LOVE...nay, ADORE my hair texture. I can't imagine not having a say about WHEN I can see my coilies...and having to wait for "the new effect to wear out". I think I'd probably lose it, buy a gun, and start shooting everyone :gunner7: out of frustration :pullhair: and depression. :crybaby: OK, OK a bit dramatic, I know. :giggle: but I like the "spontaneity" my hair affords me, not to mention the versatility, that I cannot imagine being at the mercy of some procedure. I like to be in control. :kneel:

I am feeling you on all of this. Even the Dramatic "you would kill someone" part.

You know for a fact - if my hair got jacked...:bat:..... I would be in :jail:

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I did not say anything in my original response about formaldehyde ....etc, because I did not want to upset anyone....

we can get pretty heated about natural/not natural/ what is safe, etc......

so - I did not want to go there.

As I have been reading about expereinces.... The most interesting stories have been those stating " my eyes were burning, the windows were wide open, the fans, etc."

Personally, that scares me. To death. People would go through all of that. for 30 days or 6 weeks of striaght hair.
I would like to see when it wears off....
:perplexed

So - The other option looks as though it is Liquid Keratin, But at the same time, that product looks as though - you would NOT be jumping in the shower, and jumping out with a "Wet, jumping out of a video" look.... unless you have a wavy texture.... in that case, a rollerset would work.

So - Nah,....:look: Sour cream, or coconuts will work just fine.

I think BTK is the new Relaxer.... and - a helluva lot more dangerous, IMO.....Mucus membranes and my body's health is too important.

Thanks ladies sooooo much for your input.

MSA........................ Lunch Friday May 15th? :yep:

Last edited:

LOL, at that. But really miconazole is just a plain ole antifungal cream added to vegetable oil and other non-active ingredients. There is really nothing dangerous about it, or else like me you are allergic. My beef with MN is that I don't think it works, I can't see why an antifungal cream will make my hair grow or else I have a fungal scalp infection which I am pretty sure I don't.

Funny I don't really have any problems with formaldehyde in low concentrations. I have taken numerous anatomy classes, worked in a pathology lab, and was exposed to formaldehyde daily and was never concerned. There is no hazard from working as a coroner, laboratory, photography lab, and many other places where there is formaldehyde exposure .

Some uses of formaldehyde include preservative in vaccine, treatment of warts and certain parasites. If this eases anyone's fear, just know that formaldehyde in low concentrations is pretty safe. I still haven't decided if BKT is for me, but I am leaning towards it more and more every day

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your responses.

I did not say anything in my original response about formaldehyde ....etc, because I did not want to upset anyone....

we can get pretty heated about natural/not natural/ what is safe, etc......

so - I did not want to go there.

As I have been reading about expereinces.... The most interesting stories have been those stating " my eyes were burning, the windows were wide open, the fans, etc."

Personally, that scares me. To death. People would go through all of that. for 30 days or 6 weeks of striaght hair.
I would like to see when it wears off....
:perplexed

So - The other option looks as though it is Liquid Keratin, But at the same time, that product looks as though - you would NOT be jumping in the shower, and jumping out with a "Wet, jumping out of a video" look.... unless you have a wavy texture.... in that case, a rollerset would work.

So - Nah,....:look: Sour cream, or coconuts will work just fine.

I think BTK is the new Relaxer.... and - a helluva lot more dangerous, IMO.....Mucus membranes and my body's health is too important.

Thanks ladies sooooo much for your input.

MSA........................ Lunch Friday May 15th? :yep:

I don't like all the fumes and what not. Worse case is I'd stop using them go back natural and grow my hair back to my waist..lol. Or just stop using them, tex-lax twice and year and go back to WL. The BKT reminds me of being in a nail salon that isn't very well ventilated. In a situation like that I get a sinus headache stat! From now on though, depending on how the BKT holds up, I'll use the Formeldahyde free one.

Also, there's nothing wrong with mentioning the chemical aspect of the product, it is what it is. We, unfortunately, live in a chemically laden world where not even "natural" or "organic" food is safe. Chemicals abound, I say pick your poison..lol.., whether it's the nail salon you go to to inhale all the chemicals, the natural shampoo with formeldahyde derivatives, the calcium or sodium hydroxide in your relaxer or the ammonia and/or peroxide in your hair dye....we'll all die one day anyway.

Last edited:

I agree 100% If I were wanting a relaxer, I would definitely try this, but I am -so- over the straight hair thing. I'm ready to just let it flow. A rollerset here and there will be all of the fix that I need. :yep:

Thanks VeeJee.

Yep - there has been a lot of research done.

I guess for me. I cannot get over the Fumes, Goggles, Fans, and the like...:look::look::look:

In addition - I have checked out the ladies who have had this done ( the Before pics, in terms of hair type) - and - it is not mine.... it tends to be wavy/ silkier than mine.

So - I just keep asking questions.
Like all the other bandwagons............... Giving it time will be helpful.

I agree I was put off by all of the "tools" needed..lol. I tried it and I love it so far so good; it's not a big deal if I never do it again though. I had long, thick, waist length hair before BKT was invented so it won't stop my progress if I decide to never do it again and go back to WL or grow to hip bone length..lol.

LOL, at that. But really miconazole is just a plain ole antifungal cream added to vegetable oil and other non-active ingredients. There is really nothing dangerous about it, or else like me you are allergic. My beef with MN is that I don't think it works, I can't see why an antifungal cream will make my hair grow or else I have a fungal scalp infection which I am pretty sure I don't.

Funny I don't really have any problems with formaldehyde in low concentrations. I have taken numerous anatomy classes, worked in a pathology lab, and was exposed to formaldehyde daily and was never concerned. There is no hazard from working as a coroner, laboratory, photography lab, and many other places where there is formaldehyde exposure .

Some uses of formaldehyde include preservative in vaccine, treatment of warts and certain parasites. If this eases anyone's fear, just know that formaldehyde in low concentrations is pretty safe. I still haven't decided if BKT is for me, but I am leaning towards it more and more every day

Education is key!:yep: At least you can make an informed decision.

Back