SJ's Reasons She Can't Get BTK- I think....

Removed. I'm tired of posting stuff that contradicts these fears. They're in the other BKT threads. Short summary: there's up to 5 percent formaldehyde in your nail polish, it's emitted from cars, planes, thus it's in your AIR, plywood, materials used to build your house like insulation (and can be emitted for up to five years), carpet cleaners, it's used to make paper, shampoo, babywipes, and on and on to the point it's exhausting. We have formaldehyde around us anyways on a daily basis because this world is just so darn polluted. I was going to post big articles but I know they won't be read because minds are probably already made up. I like and am interested in BKT myself. Used a couple times a year is less exposure than our every day exposure, and can be minimized more with machines that absorb chemicals that some salons use anyways. That still won't save us from everyday formaldehyde. We'll just have to live with it.

Last edited:
LOL, at that. But really miconazole is just a plain ole antifungal cream added to vegetable oil and other non-active ingredients. There is really nothing dangerous about it, or else like me you are allergic. My beef with MN is that I don't think it works, I can't see why an antifungal cream will make my hair grow or else I have a fungal scalp infection which I am pretty sure I don't.

Funny I don't really have any problems with formaldehyde in low concentrations. I have taken numerous anatomy classes, worked in a pathology lab, and was exposed to formaldehyde daily and was never concerned. There is no hazard from working as a coroner, laboratory, photography lab, and many other places where there is formaldehyde exposure .

Some uses of formaldehyde include preservative in vaccine, treatment of warts and certain parasites. If this eases anyone's fear, just know that formaldehyde in low concentrations is pretty safe. I still haven't decided if BKT is for me, but I am leaning towards it more and more every day

THANK YOU again.

MSA........................ Lunch Friday May 15th? :yep:

It will have to be dinner...

Removed. I'm tired of posting stuff that contradicts these fears. They're in the other BKT threads. Short summary: there's up to 5 percent formaldehyde in your nail polish, it's emitted from cars, planes, thus it's in your AIR, plywood, materials used to build your house like insulation (and can be emitted for up to five years), carpet cleaners, it's used to make paper, shampoo, babywipes, and on and on to the point it's exhausting. We have formaldehyde around us anyways on a daily basis because this world is just so darn polluted. I was going to post big articles but I know they won't be read because minds are probably already made up. I like and am interested in BKT myself. Used a couple times a year is less exposure than our every day exposure, and can be minimized more with machines that absorb chemicals that some salons use anyways. That still won't save us from everyday formaldehyde. We'll just have to live with it.

I agree we have chemicals and pollution all around us. In my case, I try to limit my exposure as much as I can. I don't use nail polish, hair products, cleaning supplies, etc. if they have formalydehyde or other chemicals I deem unsafe FOR ME.

It's all about choices. I can't control everything that I breathe in or my skin absorbs, but I can control some of it. And, I've never wanted straight hair so bad that I would willingly expose myself to chemicals that I feel are harmful. Especially because I already have an autoimmune disorder so I try to be very careful about what I expose myself to. Straight hair is just not that serious to me.

And, I wouldn't threaten most people with physical violence over what they want to do with their hair, but Sam is family so I do care about every little follicle lol.

While I haven't even considered the fact that a mask and some air sucking machine is necessary for this BKT procedure and so this point hasn't been a deterrent, the above argument begs the question: if we are already overly exposed to a dangerous chemical in daily living, does that mean that we might as well go ahead and expose ourselves even more to it at apparently such a high concentration so that a mask and machine are required? That's like saying, we can't avoid inhaling pollutants so let's just start sniffing glue, smoking cigars, snorting cocaine...after all, we can't help it that some of the particles in these products are floating in the air. :huh:

I think it's up to everyone to decide for themselves. I guess we're at least in agreement on that. I'm with the med student and my boyfriend who is also a med student that the concentrations aren't a big deal. In addition I have an autoimmune disease too Graves, so I am very careful about eating right (no big macs for me I'm all organic), and doing the right thing (if you knew me you'd roll your eyes at all the precautions I take which most people don't)but I just think some things can't be avoided or I'd just be a nervous Nellie. To each our own. I don't think it's about desiring straight hair so much either. For me it's about cutting down my styling time. Remember the auto thing? I'm tired all the time. The docs even think I may have another auto immune condition and are trying to isolate and that's with me eating right and avoiding chemicals (I'm a natural too). So anyways sometimes I am just too tired. my mom has lupus and I'm hoping that's not the case with me, but the docs are trying to isolate. It's tests and wait and see just like it was the first time. It took two years for them to diagnose Grave's and then I was mistreated so that is another story.
So anyways...I have to find a way to cut down on time because when I say tired for two days. I literally can barely get out of bed after washing my hair and styling. One time I was so tired that I left half my hair in a fro and the other half braided for half a week because I was just so darn tired and I am a master's student that needs to look presentable if I want to go on to a PHD program and get a job in academia. There's lots of networking that needs to be done. We are also asked to teach classes in our second year. Before anyone defines presentable as straight I'm definining it as: not a half fro, half braided head. A all braids that are neat, or a cute style that is neat. Wash n gos are a no no at this length or I'll have to cut out knots and I'm not going to subject my midback hair to a setback so it's either braids, some natural style like twists, or flat ironing.

I think it's interesting that the first assumption is that people want straight hair so bad. I just want to not spend hours on wash day and then be exhausted for two days after.

If I thought that the formaldahyde was so bad...believe me I wouldn't Do it. I don't need any more problems. I am leaning towards it, but I haven't committed yet.

Like I said to each their own, but there shouldn't be assumptions made about why anyone is doing it.

Last edited:
removed. Not necessary. Calling a truce. Lucky's Mom is right about the whole fight fight fight! Thing. It's just...whatever...you know? Over.

Best wishes everyone on each side.

Last edited:
I am far from a vet with BKT but I will answer where I can.
I don't use henna/cassia but if they are color treatments, then BKT can be applied AFTER the henna/cassia. Color treatments help BKT work better.
Commercial colour treatments make BKT penetrate better because they make the hair more porous. OTOH, henna deposits colour by binding to the proteins in the hair, so it usually has a strengthening effect on the hair, as does cassia, except that cassia does not colour, so is used mainly for its strenghtening and conditioning effect. I've heard of people cutting down on protein treatments when using henna / cassia.

Given that, I would wonder whether using henna/cassia while using BKT, especially in the early days before the keratin wears off a bit, wouldn't make the hair overly stiff and brittle.
OFF TOPIC: I'm chuckling at the same people (on both sides) bringing th BKT debate from thread to thread.

Given that, I would wonder whether using henna/cassia while using BKT, especially in the early days before the keratin wears off a bit, wouldn't make the hair overly stiff and brittle.

I did wonder that myself. I know bkt is not really protein but it strengthens hair and I thought that might be overload waiting to happen.

Another reason- it has been said that it is extremely carcinogenic.

This isn't correct. While formaldehyde is carcinogenic, it is a small percentage of the BKT. BKT hasn't been found to be carcinogenic, nor do doctors or med students think it's a hazard. Try it for yourself. Ask your doctor if a product you use once per quarter with 4% formaldehyde will harm you. The responses I've read have all been, if that were the case all doctors would be in danger. While med students, they're exposed to 35% formaldehyde solutions repeatedly. And, my goodness, what of their professors? Exposed with each new year of teaching med students? Still.. nothing. Funeral home workers? I'm sure they're exposed to, at least a thousand times more. Nothing. With proper ventilation, it'd be really hard to find the danger. Those are my pennies.

Also, I don't think it's fair to call BKT a band wagon. While it's received some interest (and for good reason) most of the people that did it are from, at least, a year ago. That's when it was really new and people were afraid. Fast forward, and all those folks are still doing it! That's what really sparked the interest, I think. I think calling it a band wagon is not a true statement that can cause others that want to do it to shy away, trying not to be a part of a fad. When, really, they should weigh for themselves, do their research and make an informed decision. K... that had to be worth a nickel, at least. lol

BKT has been around since 2000. It originated in Brazil and was called escova progressiva (progressive blow dry). It became really popular around 2007 - NYT article - http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/19/fashion/19skin1.html?_r=2&oref=slogin. It's far from a new fad.

It's not for everyone and if people don't want to try it, there is no law that requires it.

Most people are more concerned with the amount of heat used (450 degrees) rather than the small amount of formaldehyde. I was exposed to more formaldehyde in my high school biology class than I was with BKT. We had to dissect squids, frogs, earthworms, etc. They were all soaking in formaldehyde and sitting in our classroom for DAYS!!! None of my classmates dropped dead.

Last edited:
I hear yall, but it's formaldehyde in your hair! Formaldehyde! I wouldn't unnecessarily expose myself to chemicals. I also recall reading that embalmers had higher rates of cancer.

Also, I have another question. Does any one remember the stinky lustrasilk that was used to press hair? It came in a spray bottle. Didn't it contain formaldehyde?

removed. Not necessary. Calling a truce. Lucky's Mom is right about the whole fight fight fight! Thing. It's just...whatever...you know? Over.

Best wishes everyone on each side.

LD, thanks for your input !!!!!

:kiss:

That is what make LHCF great!

As MSA stated..... I limint my exposure to several toxins. Organic foods ( as much as possible) Making my own conditioner - sans preservative.... My nails are Gels ( so no chem order) and I am not a wearer of polish. I don't hang around smokers, and I use natural cleaners...etc... and I have been relaxer free for 10 years.
So I have made the best efforts not to be exposed to extra chems.
Hey - that is just me.

I think another person discussed that they are around formaldehyde frequently. I rememeber reading that the problem with formaldehyde and - its releasers is that when it is heated to 90 degrees farenheit or higher - that this is a toxic problem.

I don't claim to know much about this stuff. I just know - that - for me.... that was all I needed to throw EVERY item out in my hair cabinet - that could cause a problem.

I know we live in a polluted world. I don't deny that.....But taking precautions is important to me.

I hope this came across ok... and not confrontational....
:yep::yep::yep:

I do - though appreciate your input.

This isn't correct. While formaldehyde is carcinogenic, it is a small percentage of the BKT. BKT hasn't been found to be carcinogenic, nor do doctors or med students think it's a hazard. Try it for yourself. Ask your doctor if a product you use once per quarter with 4% formaldehyde will harm you. The responses I've read have all been, if that were the case all doctors would be in danger. While med students, they're exposed to 35% formaldehyde solutions repeatedly. And, my goodness, what of their professors? Exposed with each new year of teaching med students? Still.. nothing. Funeral home workers? I'm sure they're exposed to, at least a thousand times more. Nothing. With proper ventilation, it'd be really hard to find the danger. Those are my pennies.

Also, I don't think it's fair to call BKT a band wagon. While it's received some interest (and for good reason) most of the people that did it are from, at least, a year ago. That's when it was really new and people were afraid. Fast forward, and all those folks are still doing it! That's what really sparked the interest, I think. I think calling it a band wagon is not a true statement that can cause others that want to do it to shy away, trying not to be a part of a fad. When, really, they should weigh for themselves, do their research and make an informed decision. K... that had to be worth a nickel, at least. lol

OK - I got 2 cents... I think that I wil respectfully disagree with this. YOu know we are around here.....

Things get "popular"..... So I think this is a bandwagon... and like many others - Some will use BTK for yeasrs to come - and others will coe and go with it.

I don't that it is an insult or said with malicious intent though:yep:

BKT has been around since 2000. It originated in Brazil and was called escova progressiva (progressive blow dry). It became really popular around 2007 - NYT article - http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/19/fashion/19skin1.html?_r=2&oref=slogin. It's far from a new fad.

It's not for everyone and if people don't want to try it, there is no law that requires it.

Most people are more concerned with the amount of heat used (450 degrees) rather than the small amount of formaldehyde. I was exposed to more formaldehyde in my high school biology class than I was with BKT. We had to dissect squids, frogs, earthworms, etc. They were all soaking in formaldehyde and sitting in our classroom for DAYS!!! None of my classmates dropped dead.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:my DH was wondering what I was laughing at!

I hear yall, but it's formaldehyde in your hair! Formaldehyde! I wouldn't unnecessarily expose myself to chemicals. I also recall reading that embalmers had higher rates of cancer.

Also, I have another question. Does any one remember the stinky lustrasilk that was used to press hair? It came in a spray bottle. Didn't it contain formaldehyde?

Yes, It does contain DMDM Hydatonin.... a formaldehyde releaser....

The final verdict is that I will not be thinking about doing this at all.
The risks, are not worth it in my opinion.

I don't use relaxers or other commerical products.... so - this is not for me either.... after finding out so much.
thanks girls!!!!!

:kiss:

Well, I read that it is very carcinogenic (and believe the article I read) and was just repeating what I read to answer the OP question. Anyway, I guess whether it is or not will be known eventually. I do not care if people want to use it. As far as I am concerned they can put cow poo on their head if they believe it will lead to more luxurious longer hair:lachen:I was also thinking of using it but thanks to threads like this I am sitting this one out:yep: Surprsingly- 1st because of the high heat (I have really delicate hair which cannot take high heat) and 2nd the carcinogenic factor (yeah it should be the other way around:rolleyes:I aint gonna lie). Thanks OP this thread has enlightened me.

..by the way. has anyone wondered after all this product wears off exactly what condition or state your hair becomes after all that heat passing through. I mean I understand the treatment is like a protectant and it is sort of "baked' in so to speak but it almost seems like you have to keep up the treatment to maintain the strength no? Just curious about down the road after use.

I'm in the mind frame of like how it goes when you get acrylic tips. The formula contains formaldehyde as well. They put the crap on and put your fingers by the lamps to "bake it in" The nails feel strong as long as you have this "treatment" around your nails. When you don't have the treatment on, the nails feel weaker than when you started and then you have to maintain your treatment to keep your strength and length.

I mean I'm just sayin....... that's my thinking.

I'm relaxed, polish my nails and use commercial cleaners to clean...I guess its just not that serious to me. :drunk:, I don't think the BKT is that bad, but no one is forced to do it.

quote=sheba1;7627813

One thing that attracted me was that long time BKT wearers seem to retain so much of their length and their hair looks so healthy over time. Since it's like a protective layer over each strand, it may allow us to protective style less even while we're on the grow.

Here are links to folks bkting a year or more. I know Brittany and Crazydaze used Global. Not sure of the brand for Qdeez and FoxxyLisa.

Qdeez, Brittany, Crazydaze and Foxxylisa quote

..by the way. has anyone wondered after all this product wears off exactly what condition or state your hair becomes after all that heat passing through. I mean I understand the treatment is like a protectant and it is sort of "baked' in so to speak but it almost seems like you have to keep up the treatment to maintain the strength no? Just curious about down the road after use.

I'm in the mind frame of like how it goes when you get acrylic tips. The formula contains formaldehyde as well. They put the crap on and put your fingers by the lamps to "bake it in" The nails feel strong as long as you have this "treatment" around your nails. When you don't have the treatment on, the nails feel weaker than when you started and then you have to maintain your treatment to keep your strength and length.

I mean I'm just sayin....... that's my thinking.

I made note of that also. All the ladies that have had it done seem to be retaining their growth. And that is a major factor when you're trying to get your hair to FWL like I am.

quote=sheba1;7627813

One thing that attracted me was that long time BKT wearers seem to retain so much of their length and their hair looks so healthy over time. Since it's like a protective layer over each strand, it may allow us to protective style less even while we're on the grow.

Here are links to folks bkting a year or more. I know Brittany and Crazydaze used Global. Not sure of the brand for Qdeez and FoxxyLisa.

Qdeez, Brittany, Crazydaze and Foxxylisa quote

Well, I am definitely entertaining the possibility of growing my hair back to MBL. WL again, I don't know because it's just sooooo much WORK! The BKT is the ONLY reason I why I would do it again because I could save so much time styling my hair. I rollerset yesterday and wrapped it and I LOVE how the results came out! I gave my flatiron a rest. Oh, and my hair tried under my bonnet dryer in 1 hour!!!!

LOL @ this whole thread. I just wanted to add that you don't have to do it at 450 degrees or swipe the hair 10 times with the flat iron to get the same results. I only run the flat iron through the hair one to two times, and I flat iron my hair on 370 degrees. Carry on.

Back