Single and over 30?

StarScream35

Hi guys! I'm new here but have been a lurker for quite some time. Just wanted to chime in and talk about the growing number of black women who are single and over 30 yet would love to be in relationships but lack the available men in their area. What do you guys think of this? So far I have friends from every race you can think of and everyone is married except all of my black friends. None of them are ghetto or date thugs. They have wonderful personalities, no kids, no drama, went to college and are beautiful ladies but everyone is scratching their heads. This also seems to be an epidemic that stretches across state lines and some live in the south, the east coast, midwest, west coast etc. One friend I am extrmely worried about though. She will be 40 next year and she's talking about killing herself if she doesn't meet a man to marry and have kids with. I've tried to help her but nothing works. But aside from that, what do you sistas think of this phenomena?

The lack of available men in any given area depends on what type of men that women considers and what types she rules out. Which is to say, if she's only looking for a black man...

No offense OP but do we really need another thread like this. Being single is not the end of the world. I much rather see single women happy than hooking up with loser type men or a...holes just so they are not single anymore. This is what I am seeing in my world. Sorry but it is really not that serious.

I am divorced in my late 30's and although I would like to remarry, if I don't its ok with me. There are plenty of women marrying later in life ( mid to late 40's). There is nothing wrong with that.

I hate to be the suspicious one but this is the OP's first post.

Are you writing a paper or trying to conduct an undercover survey?

Haven't we been here before? The search feature is very helpful. If you do your own self reflection a person can figure out why they are single. It's got nothing to do with the lack of men.

Um no offense but your friend who is ready to harm herself if she doesn't get married has a bigger issue than marriage that needs to be addressed.

Last edited:
Mischka,

All of my black friends including myself dating outside of our race but that's another long thread in itself.

Lexi08,

I know girl. I agree being single is not the end of the world. I haven't been on a date in ages because I've decided to concentrate on myself and have fun exploring the world. I am glad to see you being very strong. I love to see strong sistas however there is no denying that this is such a deep issue that it permeates into very many aspects of our lives. For example, I consider myself content with the friends I have and I'm content with getting off work going home, cooking myself dinner from scratch, walking my dog, take my soothing bubble bath and trying to keep my hair healthy but lo and behold one of my black friends will call and she's down and out because the lonliness is getting to her. I tell her to be strong but I know it's difficult. I think we sistas should really support each other as much as we can.

Velvet,
Thanks. Didn't know about the search feature. Checked it out and found some stuff.

Rasberry,

Huh? I take it you are being humorous.

I would say maybe 60% of my black female friends/acquaintances around my age are married. I'm 31 (today is my b'day). Some others are in long-term relationships.

I have a lot of white female friends who are single but the context of our singleness has a lot do to with our religious faith. Honestly, I never had a problem finding nice black men to date before I started dating Christian men exclusively...

If lack of men is a huge issue for a woman I say she should take measures to open up her pool - going places and doing things she's never done, maybe even moving to another state, trying online dating, etc...especially if she is single and childless, she has more to gain by taking risks... all depends on the pros vs. cons of her individual situation.

Last edited:
Someone who feels the need to off themselves because they can't find a man has some serious self esteem issues. How is any man supposed to live up to her expectations, when she obviously expects a man to complete her.

Someone who feels the need to off themselves because they can't find a man has some serious self esteem issues. How is any man supposed to live up to her expectations, when she obviously expects a man to complete her.

I agree. Also when people relay stories like this there's a whole lot that's being left out.. saying a woman is single, 40, and depressed says nothing about her personality, mental state, dating history, preferences etc.

A lot of women expect a man to drop out of sky... Self included, gotta go out, even if solo and ENJOY life you never know where going to met that man... Thats not to say you are looking, no but enjoying life... why not go to movies solo, or to a sports bar solo to watch a game, volunteer, etc etc, and so forth... Don't just go places with your girls, some men are intimidated by groups... (Self motivating here, Lol... )

All that to say, just enjoy YOUR life, being depressed, down, shows in one face, who wants to be with, let alone around that mood...

Smile ladies, its a new day and you MUST MAKE THE MOST OF IT...

I agree. Also when people relay stories like this there's a whole lot that's being left out.. saying a woman is single, 40, and depressed says nothing about her personality, mental state, dating history, preferences etc.

Exactly. You said what I didn't feel like typing out. Is she emotionally stable and available to love? Obviously not if suicide looks like a viable option. No man wants a depressed woman who isn't happy inside. Men are very smart. Smarter than we think they are and pick up on that stuff.

Exactly. You said what I didn't feel like typing out. Is she emotionally stable and available to love? Obviously not if suicide looks like a viable option. No man wants a depressed woman who isn't happy inside. Men are very smart. Smarter than we think they are and pick up on that stuff.

Personally I don't think she is emotionally stable and I told her that once and she got seriously mad at me. Her suicide threats became so intense once I starting cutting ties with her and avoided her phone calls. But then I felt guilty because the last thing I would have wanted was to hear that someone left a suicide note with my name in it or something of that nature. I could never forgive myself. I've been on a mission to rehabilitate her but it's not working. One thing that I try to do with sistas like this that I meet is relay to them some of the things I do in life which might seem simple but bring lots of joy. I have a dog and love taking her for walks in the sun at a nice park. I'm an absolute nutball fot ice cream and will go to an ice cream shop any day by myself to eat ice cream. I join activity groups and so forth. But so many of these ladies can't seem to find peace with things like this. I'm not sure if some sistas feel like they are worthless without men or what. I'm not sure what the deal is. I have another friend that resorted to stalking a man once and I told her she could face jail time for stuff like that. I dunno, I'm seeing a lot of behavior from sistas that was once considered unusual. I just wonder if this stuff can ever be addressed. I'm from Atlanta btw. Yes it is off the chain in Atlanta. LOL!

Personally I don't think she is emotionally stable and I told her that once and she got seriously mad at me. Her suicide threats became so intense once I starting cutting ties with her and avoided her phone calls. But then I felt guilty because the last thing I would have wanted was to hear that someone left a suicide note with my name in it or something of that nature. I could never forgive myself. I've been on a mission to rehabilitate her but it's not working. One thing that I try to do with sistas like this that I meet is relay to them some of the things I do in life which might seem simple but bring lots of joy. I have a dog and love taking her for walks in the sun at a nice park. I'm an absolute nutball fot ice cream and will go to an ice cream shop any day by myself to eat ice cream. I join activity groups and so forth. But so many of these ladies can't seem to find peace with things like this. I'm not sure if some sistas feel like they are worthless without men or what. I'm not sure what the deal is. I have another friend that resorted to stalking a man once and I told her she could face jail time for stuff like that. I dunno, I'm seeing a lot of behavior from sistas that was once considered unusual. I just wonder if this stuff can ever be addressed. I'm from Atlanta btw. Yes it is off the chain in Atlanta. LOL!

Sigh...Yes, please use the search feature. I know you're a newbie but this issue has been discussed to death here and in Off Topic.

With regards to your suicidal friend, the best thing you can do for her is suggest she seek professional help. You can not save her. You can not save any of these women who are determined to be sad (or crazed) because of their singleness.

My suggestion would be that you give much love and support to your sista friends who are struggling, but find ways to surround yourself with other women who are able to experience all that life has to offer regardless of whether they are in a relationship.

If she is mentally unstable single, she will be the same in a relationship. Hooking her up with someone is not the answer. 1- she will still be the same person as she is now, and 2 - a sane man will not have anything to do with her because she really does have issues.

This might sound weird, but I don't even think mental/emotional issues preclude a person from finding someone--I've definitely seen otherwise! I know of two men specifically who married such women--one clearly suffering from depression and another who he knew was bipolar. And the men are actually pretty good catches. Why am I saying this? Because I think the issue is a lot simpler than these women perfecting their flaws. There's a lid for every pot. I was at a wedding this past weekend and finally noticed a clear line of demarcation between the young women (mid-late 20s) who were perpetually dateless and single, and those who were in relationships and/or married. Basically, those who were always dateless had a tendency to pine after men who were not pursuing them. In one form or another they have generally been, as long as I've known them, focused on earning or hoping to gain the affections of someone who has explicitly or implicitly said they weren't interested in them like that.

The married and/or in a relationship ones have never done that and never would. I asked my sister about it and she was like, "Yeah, I would never do that, there's no reason to with 6 billion people in the world." Basically there are people who put a natural filter on their lives and only recognize or give importance to those men who want them. That's how you find someone--you only pay attention to those who are interested in you and make those people more important than those who aren't. In so doing, such people start making up a larger portion of your interactions and the energy you invest. If a woman is reasonably attractive and an overall decent person, there is someone who is also decent who will want her. (I said "decent" not amazingly wonderful) If she rejects him, that's her choice, but she did have the opportunity to have someone. This is also where women have to evaluate their "list" and see if they're dismissing someone who will, in the grand scheme of things, make her happy. I also saw that the married/relationship ones were a lot more practically minded about relationships, whereas others tended to be more wrapped up in their "ideal type" and whatnot. Something else to consider.

And almost all these women I observed were white. I see a LOT of singleness among young white women, so I think black women tend to overplay this dearth of eligible black men in giving the reason they are single. I'm not trying to oversimplify with my theory--sometimes circumstances are just out of your control. But really, I saw a very clear and distinct line regarding these traits and I think it's significant.

Essentially, I don't buy that there's no one who is decent who is or would be interested in these women. They have to find another answer.

Last edited:
Hi guys! I'm new here but have been a lurker for quite some time. Just wanted to chime in and talk about the growing number of black women who are single and over 30 yet would love to be in relationships but lack the available men in their area. What do you guys think of this? So far I have friends from every race you can think of and everyone is married except all of my black friends. None of them are ghetto or date thugs. They have wonderful personalities, no kids, no drama, went to college and are beautiful ladies but everyone is scratching their heads. This also seems to be an epidemic that stretches across state lines and some live in the south, the east coast, midwest, west coast etc. One friend I am extrmely worried about though. She will be 40 next year and she's talking about killing herself if she doesn't meet a man to marry and have kids with. I've tried to help her but nothing works. But aside from that, what do you sistas think of this phenomena?
Its nothing new. This was the very premise of Sex and the City which started airing 10 years ago (whoa, right!).

This might sound weird, but I don't even think mental/emotional issues preclude a person from finding someone--I've definitely seen otherwise! I know of two men specifically who married such women--one clearly suffering from depression and another who he knew was bipolar. And the men are actually pretty good catches. Why am I saying this? Because I think the issue is a lot simpler than these women perfecting their flaws. There's a lid for every pot. I was at a wedding this past weekend and finally noticed a clear line of demarcation between the young women (mid-late 20s) who were perpetually dateless and single, and those who were in relationships and/or married. Basically, those who were always dateless had a tendency to pine after men who were not pursuing them. In one form or another they have generally been, as long as I've known them, focused on earning or hoping to gain the affections of someone who has explicitly or implicitly said they weren't interested in them like that.

The married and/or in a relationship ones have never done that and never would. I asked my sister about it and she was like, "Yeah, I would never do that, there's no reason to with 6 billion people in the world." Basically there are people who put a natural filter on their lives and only recognize or give importance to those men who want them. That's how you find someone--you only pay attention to those who are interested in you and make those people more important than those who aren't. In so doing, such people start making up a larger portion of your interactions and the energy you invest. If a woman is reasonably attractive and an overall decent person, there is someone who is also decent who will want her. (I said "decent" not amazingly wonderful) If she rejects him, that's her choice, but she did have the opportunity to have someone. This is also where women have to evaluate their "list" and see if they're dismissing someone who will, in the grand scheme of things, make her happy. I also saw that the married/relationship ones were a lot more practically minded about relationships, whereas others tended to be more wrapped up in their "ideal type" and whatnot. Something else to consider.

And almost all these women I observed were white. I see a LOT of singleness among young white women, so I think black women tend to overplay this dearth of eligible black men in giving the reason they are single. I'm not trying to oversimplify with my theory--sometimes circumstances are just out of your control. But really, I saw a very clear and distinct line regarding these traits and I think it's significant.

Essentially, I don't buy that there's no one who is decent who is or would be interested in these women. They have to find another answer.

Love this post, sometimes I think people want to make it seem like you have to be 100% issue free, happy and confident 24/7, just a big pile of sunshine and rainbows everyday all day or else you are desperate with issues and no one is going to want you. I try to be positive and happy, as much as possible, emphasis on "try". But I have my really dark days/moments and I refuse to feel guilty about it. Contemplating suicide is definitely extreme. But just because someone has a tendency towards depression or other issues doesn't mean they won't find someone who can SEE them past all of that. I know someone who was suicidal about not getting into med school, ended up in the hospital and everything; she had a boyfriend at the time, they are married now. He didn't leave bc she has "issues".

I have also definitely finally seen the light about only giving importance to men who want you. I was always trying to make or convince someone to like me, when I knew from jump I wasn't what they really wanted.

That's how you find someone--you only pay attention to those who are interested in you and make those people more important than those who aren't. In so doing, such people start making up a larger portion of your interactions and the energy you invest. If a woman is reasonably attractive and an overall decent person, there is someone who is also decent who will want her. (I said "decent" not amazingly wonderful) If she rejects him, that's her choice, but she did have the opportunity to have someone. This is also where women have to evaluate their "list" and see if they're dismissing someone who will, in the grand scheme of things, make her happy. I also saw that the married/relationship ones were a lot more practically minded about relationships, whereas others tended to be more wrapped up in their "ideal type" and whatnot. Something else to consider.

I have also definitely finally seen the light about only giving importance to men who want you. I was always trying to make or convince someone to like me, when I knew from jump I wasn't what they really wanted.

But what if you are sincerely not interested in choosing from your pool of options? There is no attraction at all. Is it still your fault that you are single?

There are always available men ..... but unfortunately women have to see past attractiveness....and men don't

In the sense that it could be otherwise, yes. But it's not a blame thing, more like an ownership of choices thing. If there have been marryable suitors but the woman just didnt want them, she has to own that decision and accept what comes of it. I think we can tend to make ourselves victims of our own preferences and fantasies of our ideal man.

Sent from my LS670 using LS670

Idk, if that were the case only the prettiest women would get married. I think lots of men choose to de-emphasize looks to be with someone.

Idk, if that were the case only the prettiest women would get married. I think lots of men choose to de-emphasize looks to be with someone.

looks maybe attraction (to at least get it up) which I always thought was something different...not really

Love this post, sometimes I think people want to make it seem like you have to be 100% issue free, happy and confident 24/7, just a big pile of sunshine and rainbows everyday all day or else you are desperate with issues and no one is going to want you. I try to be positive and happy, as much as possible, emphasis on "try". But I have my really dark days/moments and I refuse to feel guilty about it. Contemplating suicide is definitely extreme. But just because someone has a tendency towards depression or other issues doesn't mean they won't find someone who can SEE them past all of that. I know someone who was suicidal about not getting into med school, ended up in the hospital and everything; she had a boyfriend at the time, they are married now. He didn't leave bc she has "issues".

good post..

Last edited:
No offense OP but do we really need another thread like this. Being single is not the end of the world. I much rather see single women happy than hooking up with loser type men or a...holes just so they are not single anymore. This is what I am seeing in my world. Sorry but it is really not that serious.

I am divorced in my late 30's and although I would like to remarry, if I don't its ok with me. There are plenty of women marrying later in life ( mid to late 40's). There is nothing wrong with that.

I think your perspective is little different as you have been married before so for you, who has been there done that and it didnt work, its coming from a different place.
A lot of strong, independent women dreamed of having it all and still want it. So I can see how looking up at 40 and not having what you thought you might can be sad and lonley.
Its like my friends with kids telling me how lucky i am to not have kids....but ive done the career, extensive travel and enjoyed my life but i want kids. Its something that weighs heavy on me.
Yes women are doing things later in life and that is ok. But wanting kids and all she may see her vision of what life should be slipping away and that is very painful.
I know it is for me.

Back