Silky Soft then, desert dry :(

tuffCOOKiE

Ok, I've been on this hair care journey for a WHILE now. I'm talkin' almost 4 years now and I feel like my hair is just NOT cooperating. It really really really hurts that everyone always says 'you know so much about hair' when I MUST NOT KNOW ANYTHING.

My main problem that I have yet to assess is what to do when my hair dries/after a rollerset or airdry or blowdrying

For Example, Sunday I washed and DC's w HSR condish. My hair WAS UBER UBER soft.. a little too soft (first time using it) and I thought like yea! this is the one... and like after I airdried 80% then blowdried, my hair was hard, snap crackle and poppin off. Now it's thursday and bits an pieces are falling out as I'm moisturizing and turning down for the night. I have tried EVERYTHING.. I don't know what to do.

I have done daily or weekly cowashes
I use moisturizing condish
I use protein

For the last month I have been using:

Joico Moisture Recovery
and LTR as a leave in and sealing w (Walgreens brand) castor oil

after this, my hair feels moisturized but after this dries, it literally starts breaking/being dry again. My hair doesnt 'fall' it stands up stick straight if you 'mold it' that way. My hair is rough.. like to the touch.

I have been trying to be consistent as possible and NO RESULLTS

Can you guys please diagnose me? i have relaxed, 4 a? hair. extremely dry after it dries My hair is so dry, it looks damaged, I can't use direct heat becasue it breaks off, I dont comb daily because it breaks off.. Like.. seriously??

I'm at a loss.. and now im in tears..

***Update on Page 5***

Last edited:
I also baggy. Which, I found dries my hair out more (i think) bc my hair gets so dry after the moisture evaporates.
i literally have started over TWICE. (cut my hair to a short bob) and i think I have to do it again.. it's growing but :nono: I dont want hair if its going to be rough, wiry

:perplexed

My hair is usually stiff when dry also but, I use profectiv dc and it works wonders. I dont' know if it'll work for everyone but, it's a good line of products. I have put it on w/coconut milk and even better. Also, herbal essence w/ coconut milk under dryer 10-20 minutes. TheGhee is good(don't smell good) but, it moisturized. Don't get discouraged and cut your hair maybe the products you have aren't for you. I noticed immediate results when I pre-pooed w/ coconut milk, coconut oil, ghee, jojoba oil & olive oil. You've probably tried all of this but, keep at it b/c from ur pics you have nice hair.

Also you say you use moisturizing conditioners, but do they have any protein in them? My experience is that most of the so-called moisturizing conditioners actually have protein in them. It took me a while to find ones that don't. Shescentit.om has one (avocado) that has absolute NO protein in it. You may have proteined out. Just a suggestion. If all else fails, go see your doc. I have thyroid problems, and for a while was trying to find out what was wrong with my hair. Turns out it was just me as I have Graves Disease (thyroid disease), and I have always been healthy as a horse. Never thought that'd be me. What do I do? Well I take my medication,but I also moisturize the h--l out of my hair. I actually cut off my relaxer for more control over my hair and that helped with moisture levels (although I've been itching to get another but I must fight it!)

:bighug: I know how you feel, because I have the same problem. I did find a solution to it. You might want to tone down on products with protein and focus with moisture. I use Neutrogena Triple Moisture line. I use the entire line from the Smooth Shine anti- Frizz cream, leave in conditioner , shampoo and mask ( i use the mask as a deep conditioner.)

Another staple that helps keep my moisture challenged hair in check in Mizani H2O night treatment. It's bit greasy for some but my hair is super soft and moisturized when i use it. I put it before bedtime and in the morning my hair is super moisturized. Still even do it feels soft and moisturized i still put my Triple Moisture leave in conditioner just to be safe.

You might also try as a last resort Coconut milk. I heard its a great moisturizer. You might want to try it as a deep conditonner as well.

I thought she said she can't use direct heat or it breaks off? You need to get to the root first. I don't know about the neutrogena products above, but I do know that whatever you use make sure protein is non-existent if you think that's the problem. I've noticed everything from eluence to others have some protein in it, and it's a no no for me. Make sure it's pure moisture with zero protein, if you want to try this route to see if it will work for you. I say go for it, what do you have to lose?

^^^ I agree it may be porosity problems I had this problem till I started using Roux porosity and products for coloured hair... (I'd tried everything else my hair would be soft until I dried it)

I am having the exact same trouble. One inch pieces breaking off. I thought it was the color-treated part, but it's also the natural colored part.

Are you switching products, like I am? This started for me when I tried switching products. I had a regimen that worked. For my fine hair, cowashing every three days and applying cantu shea butter like a relaxer the night before cowash, and then baggying seemed to work perfectly. I have been deviating from this, in my product junkie mania.

My hypothesis is that going back to this routine will help. I wanted to tell you now, before I try it tomorrow, in case it may be helpful. I will report back. Good luck.

:bighug: I know how you feel, because I have the same problem. I did find a solution to it. You might want to tone down on products with protein and focus with moisture. I use Neutrogena Triple Moisture line. I use the entire line from the Smooth Shine anti- Frizz cream, leave in conditioner , shampoo and mask ( i use the mask as a deep conditioner.)

Another staple that helps keep my moisture challenged hair in check in Mizani H2O night treatment. It's bit greasy for some but my hair is super soft and moisturized when i use it. I put it before bedtime and in the morning my hair is super moisturized. Still even do it feels soft and moisturized i still put my Triple Moisture leave in conditioner just to be safe.

You might also try as a last resort Coconut milk. I heard its a great moisturizer. You might want to try it as a deep conditonner as well.

ITA. this product is the bomb! After my rollerset my hair is so dry, but once I put this on...it is awesome...so moisturized! worth every penny!

My hair is usually stiff when dry also but, I use profectiv dc and it works wonders. I dont' know if it'll work for everyone but, it's a good line of products. I have put it on w/coconut milk and even better. Also, herbal essence w/ coconut milk under dryer 10-20 minutes. TheGhee is good(don't smell good) but, it moisturized. Don't get discouraged and cut your hair maybe the products you have aren't for you. I noticed immediate results when I pre-pooed w/ coconut milk, coconut oil, ghee, jojoba oil & olive oil. You've probably tried all of this but, keep at it b/c from ur pics you have nice hair.

What's your recipe for your pre poor mixture of coconut milk, coconut oil, ghee, jojoba oil & olive oil? Sounds like a yummy pre poo

I've actually never heard of this. what is 'Ghee'? is that a fruit?:look:

I agree with the ladies that said porosity. This sounds like a classic porosity problem.

My hair was the same way until I looked at my porosity. I then started looking at the pH of my products, incorporated Porosity control conditioner into my regime, did semi permanent rinses and for a while I did protein and moisture treatments at every wash. After doing this for a while, I got it under control.

Last edited:
You may not have enough protein in your regimen. I found out when I went to a moisture only regimen my hair was fine wet but dried hard, like it could not hold on to the moisture. Now that I have upped my use of proteins my moisturizing products work even better and my hair dries SOFT!!!!!!

You may not have enough protein in your regimen. I found out when I went to a moisture only regimen my hair was fine wet but dried hard, like it could not hold on to the moisture. Now that I have upped my use of proteins my moisturizing products work even better and my hair dries SOFT!!!!!!

:yep::yep: I know people are really timid with protein because of possible overloead but if your hair doesn't have enough, it wont hold the moisture you try to give it. When I was working on my porosity, I would heavier protein treatments followed with a good long moisture treatment and it helped me so much. I could feel the difference in the first wash.

:yep::yep: I know people are really timid with protein because of possible overloead but if your hair doesn't have enough, it wont hold the moisture you try to give it. When I was working on my porosity, I would heavier protein treatments followed with a good long moisture treatment and it helped me so much. I could feel the difference in the first wash.

Yup, we are definitely hair twins...cause this is exactly what I had to do too!!:yep:

Yup, we are definitely hair twins...cause this is exactly what I had to do too!!:yep:

:sneakyhug: Yeah, our hair must have been separated at birth because we like practically all of the same things and we go through the same problems :lol: Doing the protein and moisture at every wash for a long time was one the major things that fixed my porosity.

Hey OP --

Sounds like your hair may have a porosity problem. Below are some articles from Sistaslick - one of this board's resident hair guru's!

Hopefully she won't mind me posting this info. HTH! :)

(2.) Porosity Series

Pt. 1: Is My Hair Porous? 3 Simple Tests.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/367189/hair_porosity_help_for_dry_damaged.html

Pt. 2: Yes! It's Porous now Help Me Fix It!
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/375435/hair_porosity_help_for_dry_damaged.html

I've actually followed these steps. During the summer, I got a rinse, which is one of the things that it says to do. And the other things was to use shampoo/sondish for color treated hair which, didnt help. I don't want to try too many things so I stuck with it for a month.. no results. The reason for the color treated hair/shampoo is because it lowers the acidity of your hair and closes cuticles. My whole thing w Porosity control is that, after I do my DC and then put in the Porosity control (for about 1 min) my hair is really hard to detangle. I'm not really sure why that is, as the PC is there to close and seal my cuticles, right??

I purchased Kenra Color maintenace shampoo/conditioner to try this out and.. nothing

Thank you!!

get out of my head. . . this is exactly how I feel. . . so i am goin try that acv this weekend. . . because my hair feels amazing right after I take it down. . . then dry by the time I get to work

:sneakyhug: Yeah, our hair must have been separated at birth because we like practically all of the same things and we go through the same problems :lol: Doing the protein and moisture at every wash for a long time was one the major things that fixed my porosity.

OMG! In another thread I was told to stay away from protein.. I only used Aubrey GPB.. guys.. I'm at a loss.

I've also looked to sistaslick to try and do the Wet Assessment for my hair.. I must be doing it wrong. It says you can do it w your hair wet or dry and i just dont see anyhtign going on w my hair. For example, I went to comb my hair last night and like, I saw shed hair and breakage come out in the comb, but I cant tell if my hair was 'stretchy'. I doubt it, since I had breakage..

get out of my head. . . this is exactly how I feel. . . so i am goin try that acv this weekend. . . because my hair feels amazing right after I take it down. . . then dry by the time I get to work

I've tried this too. But I did that incorrectly. make sure you dilute it a lot. I mixed 1/2 a cup to a gallon and it was still too much ACV. so dilute it even more!! Get exact measurements!! My hair was JACKED up for like 2 weeks

OMG! In another thread I was told to stay away from protein.. I only used Aubrey GPB.. guys.. I'm at a loss.

I've also looked to sistaslick to try and do the Wet Assessment for my hair.. I must be doing it wrong. It says you can do it w your hair wet or dry and i just dont see anyhtign going on w my hair. For example, I went to comb my hair last night and like, I saw shed hair and breakage come out in the comb, but I cant tell if my hair was 'stretchy'. I doubt it, since I had breakage..

The next time you wash your hair, if you get any shed hairs in your hands, stretch them. Also run your fingers along a strand of your hair and see how smooth the strand is root to tip.

I've tried this too. But I did that incorrectly. make sure you dilute it a lot. I mixed 1/2 a cup to a gallon and it was still too much ACV. so dilute it even more!! Get exact measurements!! My hair was JACKED up for like 2 weeks
Good looking out. . . because I would have just went in there 'dash of this, sprinkle of that'

I agree w/the porosity issue as well.
And my hair is REALLY porous. It needs constant moisture or else its dry, rough, and dull and snaps quickly. It also dreds up and tangles very fast.
I also dont manipulate it much at all to keep breakge away no matter what. My hair used to stick straight up if I put it that way or took a ponytail holder off or something. (I blieve it may still do this if I just airdry it with no product)
Heat is also not great with me.

Only a few products have ever worked for me.

Here's my regimen:

Every 8 weeks
*Aphogee Protien Treatment (Hard, for strength)
*Black hair rinse (Dullness)
* Relax (If not trying to go natural :rolleyes: LOL)
--Then on to what I do every week

Every Week
1. Cream of nature shampoo/Elasta Qp creme conditoning

2. Roux Porosity

3. Organic Root stimulator pak/replenish
(you can mix these)

4. Wild growth oil (softens hair like nobodys bizzness)

Straight or Curly hair
*Airdry in Bantu Knots or something,maybe flatiron hair or roots
*Blowdry and pincurl for a rollerset look (dont blowdry that much, once in a while)
*Airdry straight then pincurl (maybe iron roots)

And oil w/wild growth oil nightly

Airdryed hair
Carefree or S-curl for airdryed hair---Wear in a bun, or braidout or something. Moisturize with product every other night (you dont need to use it aht much)

Also Clear rinses help with shine/dullness and your cuticles...I've used John Frieda glaze, it really softened and detangled my hair and was wonderfull but I got splits after a while, and Beyond the Zone clear is wonderfull.

ETA--Also if you have problems w/tangles like me washing in 4-8 braids really helps with that, and sleeping in a mens wave cap or "stocking cap" so your hair doesnt move around at night....Also before using Roux porosity ACV rinses were okay....and before using Wild growth oil if i wanted to wear my hair straight "oil rinses" were good...but for the rest of the week my hair was kind of dry.

Last edited:
I've actually followed these steps. During the summer, I got a rinse, which is one of the things that it says to do. And the other things was to use shampoo/sondish for color treated hair which, didnt help. I don't want to try too many things so I stuck with it for a month.. no results. The reason for the color treated hair/shampoo is because it lowers the acidity of your hair and closes cuticles. My whole thing w Porosity control is that, after I do my DC and then put in the Porosity control (for about 1 min) my hair is really hard to detangle. I'm not really sure why that is, as the PC is there to close and seal my cuticles, right??

I purchased Kenra Color maintenace shampoo/conditioner to try this out and.. nothing

Thank you!!

Try mixing Roux Porosity with your conditioner. I read a thread about doing this and tried it last weekend. It worked great.

Try mixing Roux Porosity with your conditioner. I read a thread about doing this and tried it last weekend. It worked great.

In what proportion should I add this in? 2 part condish and 1 part PC? I also add EVOO and Castor oil to my condish, do you think that matters?

I'm going to try this but my "thing" with that is, isnt the deep conditioner supposed to try and 'get into' your hair while PC, the cuticle sealer "closes the door" so the condish cant get in?

I'mma try it though because honestly... this hair is nonsense

The next time you wash your hair, if you get any shed hairs in your hands, stretch them. Also run your fingers along a strand of your hair and see how smooth the strand is root to tip.

Ok, I've done this too.. what am I looking for? for the stretchy or breakage thing? hahha, i'm at work, you think ppl will see??:lachen:

Welp, I ran my hair back and forth (or, down and up the strand), and my hair seems pretty smooth. I think I know what it feels like rough (after the ACV debacle it was ROUGH when my hair was wet.) And I stretched it and it snapped.. It stretched a liiitle bit, then snapped.

So I guess I need more moisture? I havent done a protein tmt in about 2 weeks? now? or three? Is it ok to keep moisturizing? Last time I DC'd I used HSR and it was a little 'too' soft while wet

Back