Naturals....what products makes your hair soft?

My air dried hair used to dry a bit crispy before I started doing acv rinses. Now that I do those, condition and apply castor oil on wet hair my hair never air dries crispy. I also use Qhemet products on dry hair, but even without them my hair feels soft because (I think) of the acv rinse.

On any given day...

s-curl spray
curl activator gel
FOTE Aloe Vera gel
sodium lactate mixed w/water
concentrated conditioner (the one you can find in the gallon jar)

Qhemet Biologics A/O Heavy Cream...Curls Milkshake...QB Burdock Root Butter Creme....Shea Moisture's Shea Butter Leave In:yep:

Shea butter, shea butter, shea butter, shea butter! After I wash my hair I put shea butter into my hair while it is still damp and allow it to dry in braids. My hair is soft for dayssssssssssssssssssssssss!

I cannot use pure shea butter on my hair it does not work for me LOL!! But I can say the Qhemet Products & S-curl and a good Conditioner works wonders for my hair when my natural was longer! and it is working again for me!!!

I make a mix w/ shea, aloe gel, castor oil, and coconut oil. I whip it until it's fluffy. I've found this to be the 1 thing that keeps my hair nice, soft, and moisturized.
OT I adore your twists!! I usually not crazy about them but yours are so pretty!! Did you do then yourself? Thy are just the right size and so nice thick and full!!

well I'm transitioning and my nape is completely natural but the best advice I've gotten from members on this board for moisturizing my natural hair are two things:

Glycerin and water mixture - there are many variants of this but it makes my hair sooo soft - i spray it on 3x a day seal with sweet almond at night and I get soft natural coils and relaxed ends

Homemade whipped shea butter - my hair has NEVER EVER been so soft since I made this stuff. The raw shea straight up does nothing for my hair but I mix it with castor oil, sweet almond oil, vitamin E oil, coconut oil, patcholi oil, lavender and ylang ylang EO, and jojoba oil. Results instantly soft and touchable hair! Stays moisturized for days in my cornrows.

One other thing I find for my natural texture as it grows it DCing. I do this with cholesterol conditioner, honey, castor and coconut oil, and peppermint EO. It is really the only thing that has consistently turned my hair around I always DC when I wash with a clarifier or shampoo otherwise its just a co-wash that i lightly rinse. HTH!

I make a mix w/ shea, aloe gel, castor oil, and coconut oil. I whip it until it's fluffy. I've found this to be the 1 thing that keeps my hair nice, soft, and moisturized.

How often to you have to apply?
The aloe gel, are you taking it straight from the plant or from a bottle?

All the poster gave you great suggestions, so I will just tack on to what they said.
For me it's about the entire routine. I do clarify once per month. This helps keep my scalp clean, clear and keeps my products working.

I also conditioner wash daily in the summer, and 3-4 times per week in the fall/spring/winter. This DEFINITELY helps me keep my hair soft.

I also use a leave-in as needed. My leave in consists of castor oil, suave coconut conditioner. I find this keeps my hair soft for days. Or I will use Giovanni leave-in mixed with castor oil.

I use also a leave-in spray which is stay-so-fro gold (it's has glycerin which is a humectant,it draws moisture from the air into your hair) suave coconut conditioner, rosemary,tea tree, lavander essential oils, mixed into distilled water. This I use daily to "revive" my hair in the am before work, and at night before bed. This has kept my hair EXTREAMLY soft. hth! :)

I emphatically agree w/ the bolded sections above. It's all about the routine.

My leave-in spray is made up of aloe vera juice, water, vegetable glycerin, some suave coconut conditioner, a couple drops of essential oils such as lavender, tea tree, etc.

This stuff, used in the morning and before bed a night keeps my hair amazingly soft.

I also use Qhemet Biologics Olive and Alma Heavy Cream when I'm making twists on dry, soft, detangled hair. It's very moisturizing as well.

leave in's applied while hair is wet will leave it soft. I also pre-poo with a cheapie conditioner mixed with sweet almond oil and i let that sit on my hair for about an hour (w/plastic cap) and then I rinse out and precede to shampoo.

any water based moisturizer
gets the job done for me.

ITA Yes, water based moisturizer without petrolatum, alchohol and mineral oils... :yep:

Moisturize morning and evening, braid or bun your hair and let the moisture soak in...

I sometimes seal with oils or butters afterwards.

OT I adore your twists!! I usually not crazy about them but yours are so pretty!! Did you do then yourself? Thy are just the right size and so nice thick and full!!

Hey...Thanks for the compliment and sorry for the delayed response. Yes, I do my twist myself. They are my STAPLE look :)

Do the methods you all use to keep your hair soft do so without that 'greasy' feeling?

I would say mine does not since I tend to use a small amount. If I were heavy headed, then yes, it would leave a greas feeling.

oooop2, I love your twist. I can't wait for my twist to look like this. Do you measure your hair? How many long/inches is your hair? if you don't mind me asking?

Hmmmm, in reading this, I found some other things to try than what I've usually been doing. So thanks for the tips in this thread ya'll.

But what I was doing was a variety of different things, since I'm just in that experimenting stage. But a few things that stands out is S-Curl "No Drip" activator, Glycerine/aloe vera/distilled water mix, Hollywood Beauty's Olive Cream, Giovanni Direct Leave-In. I would use any of those and do a baggy daily at night. Over time, my hair stayed soft to where I don't have to do a baggy daily anymore. But overall, for me personally, it took for me to baggy my whole head to reap the benefits of keeping my hair moisturized before I saw results on my hair.

oooop2, I love your twist. I can't wait for my twist to look like this. Do you measure your hair? How many long/inches is your hair? if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for the compliment...I tend to stretch my twist (on occasion) or flat-iron my hair 1x every 3m to do a length check.

Here was my 1st attempt at having my husband stretch my twist and take a pic. Next time, I will have to stand up straight (kinda lop-sided), and teach him how NOT TO cover up my hair w/his finger :rolleyes:..LOL
maylength.png

I wash using Giovanni Organic hair care (50:50 balanced shampoo). I also use the Giovanni vitapro fusion leave in hair treatment. After that I put a homemade whipped shea butter mix on my hair before I comb out. I don't use the leave in hair treatment every day. I have a mix that I make myself that I spray on my hair when I get up in the morning and then I finger comb. Soft hair throughout the day.

Morning Spritz:
Water
Veg Glycerin
Tad of
Garnier Fructis conditioner
whatever EO scent you like.

Whipped Shea Butter:
4oz, 100% Raw Shea Butter
Coconut oil
Cap full of: jojoba oil, Grape seed oil, Sweet almond oil, Apricot oil, olive oil, Vitamin E oil.
Grapefruit EO
Bergamot EO

Last edited:
Everyother day on dry hair I apply nexxus humectress-a light spray of water, then some virgin organic coconut oil to my hair. I then braid it up in two or 4 and go to sleep. The next morning my hair is soft and has great shine-and I'm 4ab-I can't believe it at times!

I like qhemet biologics amla and olive creme. I'm natural by the way...I just like to pony set or flat iron so that's what you see in the pics.

Last edited:
When I wear my hair in its natural state I always have a mixture of Sexy Hair Curling Creme and Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. Makes my hair feel like butter.:yep:

Kids Organics Shea Butter Moisturizer and seal with the slightest little bit of red palm butter:yep: This is the only combination that leaves my hair moisturized the whole day and non greasy.

CASTOR OIL!!!! Number one for shine and softness....

I also use a mixture of Carol's Daughter HHM and Mimosa Hair Honey.

Soft, touchable hair every time....

Back