Shrinkage,Tangles, & Knots come with the Nappy Territory...More Harm than Good???

Poohbear
I agree twisting and braiding is a form of manipulating the hair from its natural state. I cannot wash and go. I must twist or braid or do something so that my hair doesn't do what it wants to do naturally which is dread. Since I am a commitment-phobe, I don't want to dread. I like options thats what our glory is all about. Man if low manipulation means I couldn't style my hair I wouldn't have either be natural. :drunk:

I can take differences in opinions and different perspectives, I wasn't really disagreeing but adding a little twist to her perspective... however, who here has permanently straight hair from heat??? I don't see why you keep mentioning that, of course if your natural hair is permanently straightened from heat, it is damaged. I don't think anyone would disagree with you about that. ;) When I blowdry my hair, it doesn't even get straight at all. I'm just using a blowdryer to dry my hair, not to straighten it. I'm not about to let it dry up in it's original natural state anymore. And I don't have any permenantly straightened areas from when I have straightened my hair from a pressing comb. And if you really think about it, twists do alter the original texture of your hair temporarily just like naturals who straighten their hair, but nothing is wrong with wearing twists or straightening occassionally if it's not damaging your hair permanently.

I thought someone here did have permanently damaged hair from heat, but that's a different story.

I keep mentioning it because I was giving an example as to WHY someone may say that someone's hair isn't totally natural. It's an example. We give examples of things all the time here on LHCF.

And I agree that if styles are done safely, they won't damage your hair. I've said that time and time again, but people keep looking over it and focusing only on the words that strike a nerve. If I felt that straightening every once in a while would damage my hair, I would have never straightened it a couple months ago.

This thread has really gotten off topic, and was not meant to be a natural vs natural debate. I think I need to refrain from giving an opinion on things since they're taken the wrong way and misread.

But to get back on topic, I do get tangles and knots a lot, and I hate it. That's why I'm sticking to twists for a while so that I won't have to deal with the knots and tangles on a regular basis.

This is the reason I went ahead and chopped off most of my hair today. I desperatley wanted the length, but my relaxed ends mixed with my natural hair, was havoc on my head. It kept getting tangled, breakage was a daily habit and it started shedding more as my natural hair grew in. So I chopped off 2.5 inches of my relaxed hair, and can really see my natural state. Transitioning should not be a burden to the point that you are losing more than you are gaining. I wanted to go another 7 months, but my hair had other plans. I am going to start listening more to my hair and what it wants opposed to what I want.

You know, nobody ever get or understands what I am trying to say on this board :badidea: I feel so tired and lonely on this board, I'm just gonna shut up and lurk.

:nothingfunny:

Keluric, it's nice to see your posting again! And your hair has REALLY shot off in growth since the last time I seen it!!! Bravo!!! :notworthy

Haha, thanks! Good thread you started here. I think your hair looks great, keep maintaining and happy growing!

I thought someone here did have permanently damaged hair from heat, but that's a different story.

I keep mentioning it because I was giving an example as to WHY someone may say that someone's hair isn't totally natural. It's an example. We give examples of things all the time here on LHCF.

And I agree that if styles are done safely, they won't damage your hair. I've said that time and time again, but people keep looking over it and focusing only on the words that strike a nerve. If I felt that straightening every once in a while would damage my hair, I would have never straightened it a couple months ago.

This thread has really gotten off topic, and was not meant to be a natural vs natural debate. I think I need to refrain from giving an opinion on things since they're taken the wrong way and misread.

But to get back on topic, I do get tangles and knots a lot, and I hate it. That's why I'm sticking to twists for a while so that I won't have to deal with the knots and tangles on a regular basis.

AvaSpeaks said:
You know, nobody ever get or understands what I am trying to say on this board :badidea: I feel so tired and lonely on this board, I'm just gonna shut up and lurk.

:nothingfunny:
Just discussing... not debating :cool:

I definitely get what both of you were saying... I was just adding my perspective, not shooting yours down. Understand that before taking things personally.

This is the reason I went ahead and chopped off most of my hair today. I desperatley wanted the length, but my relaxed ends mixed with my natural hair, was havoc on my head. It kept getting tangled, breakage was a daily habit and it started shedding more as my natural hair grew in. So I chopped off 2.5 inches of my relaxed hair, and can really see my natural state. Transitioning should not be a burden to the point that you are losing more than you are gaining. I wanted to go another 7 months, but my hair had other plans. I am going to start listening more to my hair and what it wants opposed to what I want.
Congratulations on your new journey to natural hair!!! :woot:

I wanted to transition for 2 years, but only lasted for 7-8 months. That's why I did the BC when I was transitioning... I could not deal with relaxed hair mixed with natural hair. It was so much easier just dealing with natural hair alone.

I haven't really noticed any knots in my hair. At what point do you start getting them? and for those that heat style, do you have to do more with your hair to keep it healthy, like protein treatments, more trims, etc...? I'm just too scared to heat style my hair. I would be so upset if I grew my hair out natural and burned it all up in a matter of minutes. For the people that heat style, do you feel like you are taking a chance each time or you just don't care, since you may wear your hair straight most of the time?

Just discussing... not debating :cool:

I definitely get what both of you were saying... I was just adding my perspective, not shooting yours down. Understand that before taking things personally.

Well I wasn't necessarily talking about you or to you for that matter.

Making discussions are fine, but the constant debating and misunderstanding of different posts is what I can't stand, for me. Therefore it's better for me to just lurk or post on non-opinion related threads. That's all.

I haven't really noticed any knots in my hair. At what point do you start getting them? and for those that heat style, do you have to do more with your hair to keep it healthy, like protein treatments, more trims, etc...? I'm just too scared to heat style my hair. I would be so upset if I grew my hair out natural and burned it all up in a matter of minutes. For the people that heat style, do you feel like you are taking a chance each time or you just don't care, since you may wear your hair straight most of the time?

I think when Pooh means heat, she's talking about a blowdryer and not necessarily curling irons, hot combs and flat irons. The occasional blowdry shouldn't harm anyone's hair. The trick is to get a quality blowdryer with various settings. If I were going to blowdry with the blowdryer I have, I would set it on HIGH but only on medium or low HEAT. You need a blowdryer with those types of options to avoid damage. Also, if you move the blowdryer constantly and don't concentrate on one section for too long, that also minimizes the risk of damage.

I also think there's a big difference between blowdrying the hair straight and blowdrying it for the sake of stretching it a little bit. Obviously, the latter requires less heat and less manipulation with a comb attachment since you're not trying to get it as straight as possible. If I understand her correctly, Pooh just wants to blowdry so her hair will be stretched at the ends and won't curl back on itself as easily as if she'd airdried.

I will be blowdrying my hair out before I get senegalese twists in about a week. I plan to do a henna treatment beforehand. I'm not worried about it.

Last edited:
Sometimes I get the knots either after I wash my hair or after I take my twists down, because I wrap my twists around each other into a little ball.

Is it a certain website that's scaring you about using heat? :D

I don't have to do anything extra to keep my hair healthy. I just make sure to deep condition after every wash... no protein treatments, no trimming. The usage of heat is actually aiding in my hair health. Airdrying makes my hair proned to breakage, splits, knots, and matting. As for me and my heat usage, Keluric is right. I use the blowdryer to dry my hair and to stretch it out... not to straighten. Now if I want to straighten my hair afterwards, I can. I will just use my pressing comb at a temperature that won't burn my hair. I don't press my hair often because I like wearing big hair. It's all about knowing your hair, and what your hair can take, and using the right technique for your hair. ;)

Is it a certain website that's scaring you about using heat? :D

I don't have to do anything extra to keep my hair healthy. I just make sure to deep condition after every wash... no protein treatments, no trimming. The usage of heat is actually aiding in my hair health. Airdrying makes my hair proned to breakage, splits, knots, and matting. As for me and my heat usage, Keluric is right. I use the blowdryer to dry my hair and to stretch it out... not to straighten. Now if I want to straighten my hair afterwards, I can. I will just use my pressing comb at a temperature that won't burn my hair. I don't press my hair often because I like wearing big hair. It's all about knowing your hair, and what your hair can take, and using the right technique for your hair. ;)

Keluric and Pooh, what type of blowdryers do u own??? TIA

(not having to stretch it out to show people how long it really is).

If you would like to share your thoughts on this matter, please be my guest. Thanks!

I don't have any advice, but the bolded made me LOL :grin:.

Good luck PoohBear!

Your hair is looking great!

Keluric and Pooh, what type of blowdryers do u own??? TIA

This is my blowdryer:
http://www.sallybeauty.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-SA-Site/default/Product-Show?pid=SBS-303030

It's inexpensive and does the job. I like a lot of ION products.
I think it's important to have a blowdryer with speed AND heat settings. I think most women do but don't use them to their full potential. As I said, I use high speed but medium or low heat.

I forgot to add that I use the cool setting A LOT. Since I don't blowdry to straighten, I go through each section using heat then cool before moving on to the next section.

This is my blowdryer:
http://www.sallybeauty.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-SA-Site/default/Product-Show?pid=SBS-303030

It's inexpensive and does the job. I like a lot of ION products.
I think it's important to have a blowdryer with speed AND heat settings. I think most women do but don't use them to their full potential. As I said, I use high speed but medium or low heat.

I forgot to add that I use the cool setting A LOT. Since I don't blowdry to straighten, I go through each section using heat then cool before moving on to the next section.
thanks so much Keluric!

My hair started to get really knotty when it got APL.

I think I will start blowdrying too!! If I can get rid of the tangles and the knots this way, I'm willing to try it out!!
How do you ladies blowdry? Do you use a comb-attachement, or do you stretch hair strands between our fingers and hold the blowdryer over them?

:nono:well after reading some of this thread i don't feel so alone.

i noticed the longer my hair gets the more it tangles and the harder it is to care for it

when i was transitioning i feel like i had very little hair issues since i didn't have all that much hair.

now that it is longer its harder to care for, gets tangled a lot more and the shrinkage drives me crazy because no matter what i do it seems like my hair works against my face shape making me look ugly.

then i always get the comments "well why don't you wear your hair *insert style* and the simple answer is because i can't. if i wear it "out the side shrink up and bellow outward. if i flat iron it reverts back quickly.

getting natural styles outside of braids done at a salon are not even a possiblity since there are no stylist who work with natural hair

whats a girl to do? days like this make me wanna just slap a texturizer in my hair and say to hell with it.

do i like my natural texture? yes! is my hair healthy? yes! but at the same time i want hair that looks nice and that i can feel good about.

anyway i am gonna stop ranting and read the rest of this thread. :yawn:

I'm starting to feel this way again, especially since my hair is STILL armpit length!!!! :mad: :wallbash:

Lately, I've been wearing bantu knot-outs and twist-outs. Keeping my hair stretched out is a task. No matter how gently I handle my hair when moisturizing and re-twisting or re-knotting, I get breakage on my ends.

See, I don't experience any breakage when wearing my natural hair straightened from heat. And I only use the heat once a month or even longer than that since I'm an infrequent hair washer. :look: Maybe I should stick with straightened natural hair and try not to get bored? :pullhair: I really want to reach BSL!!!

Hey Poohbear!

I had noticeable breakage (to me) last week (the weather's been so dry and way too cold to cowash) but I tried twisting on wet hair with my leave ins. As I finished each one I massaged in a small (think tiny almost a few drops) of castor oil from the ends up to the middle of each twist. When I took them down at the end of the week I had no breakage at all, just a few shed hairs.

I had to be very light handed with the castor oil. You can use it while dry but it's a heavy greasy mess. If you use a small amount on wet/damp hair it's not oily when it dries and it's moisturized. I guess it's like sealing while the hair's still wet. Does that make sense?

I'm starting to feel this way again, especially since my hair is STILL armpit length!!!! :mad: :wallbash:

Lately, I've been wearing bantu knot-outs and twist-outs. Keeping my hair stretched out is a task. No matter how gently I handle my hair when moisturizing and re-twisting or re-knotting, I get breakage on my ends.

See, I don't experience any breakage when wearing my natural hair straightened from heat. And I only use the heat once a month or even longer than that since I'm an infrequent hair washer. :look: Maybe I should stick with straightened natural hair and try not to get bored? :pullhair: I really want to reach BSL!!!

:( Bantu/twist outs still expose your ends, so if you are getting breakage, I recommend tucking your ends in, like buns or tucked in braids.

My sister has used heat on her hair 90% of the time since we have gone natural 06/2009. She always wears her hair straight by flat ironing and does this once to twice a month. She has no heat damage at all and her hair is the same lenght as mine almost, full apl.....Except she doesn't have all the knots that I have:wallbash::wallbash: (this may also be becasue she's more 3c than me...I'm mostly 4a) oh and she's always uses heat protectant

As my hair has gotten longer I can't wear it in it's shrunken state or WNG because that just spells tangles and knots. Dc'ing has helped and wearing streatched out styles and shingling. I have to do a real trim to my hair end of this month for the first time because of all the knots I got over the summer:sad:

I'm actually thinking of wearing my hair straight more during the winter months maybe once a month or every other....(since my sister seems to be able to do it successfully). Untill I can figure out how to get these knots under control....good post OP

Well I'm texlaxed now, but when I was a 4a/b natural, I always wore my hair straightened with the maxiglide or another ceramic heat straightening tool. My hair grew to shoulder length and pretty much stayed there. Then I texlaxed and my hair is now 4 or 5 inches past shoulder length, thick, healthy, with minimal breakage and shedding.

What do I make of this? Well I would lose soooo much hair detangling and styling while natural that it was breaking as fast as it was growing. Even though I was careful and used great conditioners and detangling techniques. With the texlax, I still have my natural texture, just looser curl pattern which allows for easier detangling and styling. I also use less heat on lower settings because it doesn't take a lot to get my hair straight.

I'm happy where I'm at and the decisions that I've made for my hair have nothing to do with anyone else. The way I wear my hair now makes me feel like the best and most beautiful Lana every single day. I see other girls with pretty hair and different styles and when I look in the mirror I think "but girl you got it going on too!"

When I was completely natural and fighting my texture I would look in the mirror and say, "Maybe next week." :rolleyes:

Wow, I don't know when I wrote this response above. But it is sooo true. I have been thinking of going natural again lately because I'm almost at 6 months post Texlax and my natural roots are so pretty and easy to straighten....BUT this response that I gave to this thread has convinced me to stay Texlaxed. Stick to what works for me.

Like -- I may Texlax this weekend instead of stretching into next month just to hit a stretch goal. It's about my hair goal, not how many months I can make it without touching up the roots.

By the way I hit BSL Texlaxed, for the first time in my LIFE. Today I'm claiming my next goal as Mid back length. I'm a 4b (with some 4a at the crown).

Oh and one thing that has helped me tremendously with breakage, tangles and dry hair was switching to a LYE relaxer for my Texlaxing. I'll stay with Lye going forward. I hope this helps someone. Because I truly have the best hair of my life...from the things someone else (maybe you) taught me on this hair board.

Back