Shoulder Length in 2010 Challenge!!!

I hope and pray that I'm SL by Aug. It shouldn't be hard b/c I will be wearing my hair up most of the time b/c it gets hot in FL.

^^i remember seeing one of your updos in your album, chelley. super cute!! :D

ugh...i'm tired of these braids.
but i promised myself i wouldn't mess with hair until finals are over. gotta get those A's!

^^i remember seeing one of your updos in your album, chelley. super cute!! :D

ugh...i'm tired of these braids.
but i promised myself i wouldn't mess with hair until finals are over. gotta get those A's!

Keep the braids in!! I know it's tough-I'm kinda getting tired of these twists and it has only been 2 weeks! In the end, your hair will thank you for it!

I made SL!!! :yay: :woot:

Now I am going to focus on full SL. The front and sides are CL still.

I'll post pics as soon as I take some.

Last edited:
Really? I'm liking my layered short hair right now. I did an unintentional bantu knot out the other day and it looked fab. Maybe it's because I have fine hair so I love that the layered cut makes my hair look more full.

I'm transitioning, 8.5 mos post, 4b, and I work out everyday during the week. And my hair in the back is really short, like 4 inches and shorter and is all natural at this point. And then last week, this stupid stylist chopped it even shorter so yeah, its very hard to manage.

If I tried to do a bantu knot out, I'm sure I'd look a hot mess.

So my hair is super short now after this wack stylist gave me a "trim":nono:

On the plus side, I shouldn't have any bad ends/splits left. I think I could still make shoulder by the end of the year tho. My hair grows pretty fast. Retention is always my issue.

I'd like to join this challenge as well!

I got a long way to go, but I think I can do it! I've discovered that my hair grows faster than I thought and this challenge is just what I need to help me stay focused!

Here's my routine:

1. Daily moisturizing and co-washing
2. No HEAT!!
3. DC at least once a week
4. I am about to start protein treatments every six weeks.
Gonna do the first one this weekend! :yep:

I keep it pretty simple. Above everything, my hair loves moisture, so as long as I keep my hair moisturized, I'll be okay. However, I've decided to add the protein because I wanted to step my game up even more! The hair I'm growing now will eventually become my ends and so I want them to be as strong and healthy as possible!

Will keep you all updated on my progress! The pics on my siggy are from a few days ago. :look:

Here is the pics I promised:

33p7sxw.jpg

mrz8nm.jpg

Count me in! This is perfect cause I'm growing out my blond hair. I'm excited! My goal is full SL by October 1st (end of my pregnancy)

My regimen will include but not limited to:

Co-wash every other day
Protein Treatment once a month
DC 1x a week
Leave in conditioner 2x a day either aphogee or carol daughter's
NO HEAT!!
Protective styles- kinky twists, two strands or braids
Growth oils massage everyday
Sulfur 8 around edges every night
Vitamins everyday

Attachments

Last edited:
Hey ladies, I made shoulder length already. Until I cut off my relaxed ends, I didn't know where my natural hair length was. Now I know. If any of you haven't yet seen the thread I made on my BC, then here is just one pic showing where I am in my new natural hair journey.

Here is my latest progress pic:

Attachments

• Natural Hair Length Check Rear.jpg
    Natural Hair Length Check Rear.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 31
Very NICE and Congrats on the BC!!!

Hey ladies, I made shoulder length already. Until I cut off my relaxed ends, I didn't know where my natural hair length was. Now I know. If any of you haven't yet seen the thread I made on my BC, then here is just one pic showing where I am in my new natural hair journey.

Here is my latest progress pic:

Hey Ladies..Am I considered SL now? These were taken in March '10. I thought I was but looking at some of your beautiful pics.. im thinking i may have to wait and straighten again to see.. Let me know (Be honest)

picture.php

picture.php

Hey Ladies..Am I considered SL now? These were taken in March '10. I thought I was but looking at some of your beautiful pics.. im thinking i may have to wait and straighten again to see.. Let me know (Be honest)

picture.php

picture.php

You are just below neck length and touching shoulder length. I would grow another half an inch to be full shoulder length though and you can be confident that are you THERE!:grin:

Last edited:
It looks SL to me. :grin: Now work on being full SL. The sides are a little shorter.

ok ladies. sl when wet..now I have to get their w/ dry hair. I am absolutely postivititutly (yea I made that up) that I will surely be SL in August if not a bit longer. I will be wearing 1/2 wigs for the summer so I will have a very low manipulation reggie. I think this will tip me over to where I wanna be!

I joined this challenge hoping to get my twists to shoulder length. I damaged my ends last time I flat ironed and the setback has my twists looking crazy. I'm in braids right now and the back just touches my shoulders. In a couple months I think I can claim full shoulder length styled (braids or twists). Then on to my ultimate goal of APL straightened by Dec 2010.

So hopefully this is my starting point and I won't have to cut it anymore for the rest of the year. I don't know how to make the picture smaller.

I want to keep some layers in the top and around my face. I would like for all of the back to be at least brushing shoulder length by year end. My hair grows fast, just have to manage breakage, so hopefully I can do it.

HPIM0107.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think I'm gonna make it to SL come Dec. Got a short haircut yesterday (had to get rid of damaged hair) and am now getting back to my reggie - I'm baggying my hair right now. :)
I've never posted a starting pic so here it is.
DSCF0166-vi473.jpg

I think I posted in here before but my regimen has changed a bit anyways. I'm shoulder length in the back but my sides and front are shorter. I just had my ends trimmed yesterday (a little under an inch).

Regimen:

Pre-Poo with EVCO or garlic infused EVOO
Wash & Condition 1x per week (Ojon Tawaka or Aphoghee)
Tea rinse (black or nettle)
Bun or Rollerset
Moisturizer and oil nightly (very lightly)
Henna (reintroducing once every 6 weeks)
Relax every 3 - 4 months
Trim every 3 - 4 months or as needed.

My hair grows fast, just have to manage breakage, so hopefully I can do it.
^^^^

I have the same problem. I am now natural and for some reason the crown seems not to be retaining the length as the other parts of my hair. The back is SL now but I don't know when the crown will catch up and I hope the back doesn't mysteriously break off like it usually does when I reach SL.

Back