Shoulder Length in 2010 Challenge!!!

Just checking in.I just permed after a 5month stretch,and I've definetly seen progress. I am much more confident now that I can make it to shoulder length.I just have to keep up with my regimen and stop slacking off. I will post picks soon.

I feel like the likelihood of me making it to sl is slim to none. My hair is breaking something awful. I've tried everything. it's still breaking. Protein treats, moisturizing, dcing, no heat, bunning. Nothing works. I wish I could just go back to my dominican salon but there are none in tallahassee. I hate it here.

I feel like the likelihood of me making it to sl is slim to none. My hair is breaking something awful. I've tried everything. it's still breaking. Protein treats, moisturizing, dcing, no heat, bunning. Nothing works. I wish I could just go back to my dominican salon but there are none in tallahassee. I hate it here.
awww...please don't say that. :nono:
there is something out there that works for you. :grin:
i just spent an hour with my transitioning friend working out a regimen so i'm in "regimen-building mode." what are you doing now? maybe i can help:yep:

Before I was shampooing once a wk and dcing w/ aubrey org. honeysuckle rose. About 2x a month I would protein treat with ion effective care. Use Herbal Essence LTR leave in. Sometimes flat ironing, sometimes bunning. Each one of these I saw bits of my hair on the floor and back.

Now I'm cowashing 3x a wk and bantu knotting. I'll see how it works out. I haven't found anything extra moisturizing to bun with though. I hate buying products online but if you can recc. something I can find in the store that'd be great. I'm relaxed 4a or b. Not really sure what the diff. is but I'm somewhere in there.

Products I use
Shampoo: ION Hard water shampoo (when I do shampoo)
Cleansing conditioner: WEN Fig and sweet almond mint, Hair one olive oil and tea tree
Conditioner: Aubrey organics honeysuckle rose, I want to try AO White Camellia soon
Leave Ins: HE LTR, Infusium moisturologie, chi keratin mist, beyond the zone last call leave in
ETA: I relax about every 10-12 wks.

Last edited:
Before I was shampooing once a wk and dcing w/ aubrey org. honeysuckle rose. About 2x a month I would protein treat with ion effective care. Use Herbal Essence LTR leave in. Sometimes flat ironing, sometimes bunning. Each one of these I saw bits of my hair on the floor and back.

Now I'm cowashing 3x a wk and bantu knotting. I'll see how it works out. I haven't found anything extra moisturizing to bun with though. I hate buying products online but if you can recc. something I can find in the store that'd be great. I'm relaxed 4a or b. Not really sure what the diff. is but I'm somewhere in there.

Products I use
Cleansing conditioner: WEN Fig and sweet almond mint, Hair one olive oil and tea tree
Conditioner: Aubrey organics honeysuckle rose, I want to try AO White Camellia soon
Leave Ins: HE LTR, Infusium moisturologie, chi keratin mist, beyond the zone last call leave in

in your prior regimen, it appears you may have had too much protein. some people need it way less often than others. also, i have absolutely nothing against heat, but i would rather wait two weeks, so that way you'd just wash, DC, and flat iron every two weeks. could you stretch out your wash days?

in truth, i think you may be overmanipulating too much. my hair doesn't like to be handled more than once or twice a week. your hair may not actually like cowashing. bantu knots may also be a bit much for your relaxed ends, to be honest, if you're not extremely gentle-can you do rollersets or flexi rod sets once a week? those styles will probably last you longer as well. a rollerset and then flat-ironing just the roots will do wonders for your ends. as i mentioned earlier, stretching out your wash days could actually help-i'm 4a/b as well.:yep:

as far as products, the only things i can recommend are a good DC and some castor oil. i know nothing about Aubrey Organics-but are they real DC's? i recommend Silk Elements Moisturizing Penetrating Treatment or something like that. you can get it at sally's for about $7, and you get a rather large tub.:grin:

have you tried DC'ing on dry hair with heat? it has made all the difference in my hair. i slap my DC on, put on a plastic cap, heat up a damp towel and cover my hair with it, and sit under the dryer.
i shampoo after and sometimes instant condition, but i usually don't even need the instant conditioner-the DC is just that effective.
castor oil you can get at walmart or even at any drugstore in the laxative section. it's great on the ends, and paired with Herbal Essences LTR, which you already use, it's FANTASTIC.

at your length (which is basically my length since i just got a neck length bob:grin:), it's too hard and too much manipulation to bun. i wouldn't even try it-i focus on low manipulation styles, like twistouts, rollersets, or even straight hair. or even the gorgeous twists in your siggy-i have braids right now because i'm swimming quite often.

i hate shopping online too:nono:

ok, whew, that was a novel but if you need any more help, let me know. :yep:

^^Yep aubrey organics is a deep conditioner. Yep I tried DCing on dry hair. uumm yup I tried rollersets. I was pulling out more hair b/c I was so awful at it. My arms were hurting and I started crying. uuuummm I would love to learn how to do twistouts b/c it will probably give me the same effect as the bantu knots. At this pt I don't even want to use heat, I would really like to do more no heat styles for now. And I'm not protein sensitive I use to use hair mayo weekly and infusium and my hair was in good shape. Now it just sucks.

Oh yea when I was flat ironing and wrapping it up my hair just would not lay right making me manipulate and use heat more than necessary which is why I would prefer no heat styles until my hair gets a tad bit longer. And yep I tried pin curls and cross wrapping. Nothing made my hair lay how I like it.

Last edited:

Do you have any color in your hair? My hair was doing the same thing. :wallbash::wallbash: I was so scared to touch it b/c every time I moved, it seemed hair would fall out. Finally I lightened my hair (just b/c I wanted to) and woohoo, my hair has done a 180.

My hair no longer falls out on a whim and my sink is no longer full of broken hairs. I think it had something to do w/my cuticles not being closed *which you can accomplish by rinsing in cold water* or my porosity being off. I don't know how to explain it but just putting it out there. I hope it curbs for you soon!:yep:

Products I use

From the sound of it, you may be manipulating your hair too much. My hair is similar....it doesn't take well to manipulation so I try to limit the manipulation to 1 or 2 times a week. Also, when I was at your length, I did a lot of low manipulation styles. I wore a lot of flexirod sets (and I do mean a lot) that I would style into a puff or a fro-hawk. I also wore a lot a phony ponies/buns since I could get my hair into a little nub of a ponytail. I also got my hair braided whenever I could to keep myself from playing in it. I used heat rarely because wrapping was such a chore for me. I couldn't cross wrap b/c my hair would wind up looking a mess and when I would wrap the normal way, I would freak out b/c I would see a few broken hairs b/c I was manipulating my hair so much.

You might also want to evaluate some of the products to you are using...they may not be working for your hair. I know I had to go through a lot of trial and error before I found my core group of products. It seems that you have a lot of protein products too. Your hair sounds similar to mine. My hair isn't necessarily protein sensitive, but it will let me know if I'm giving it too much (it will feel rough). So my hair likes protein, but it likes moisture more (SN: definitely try the AO White Camelia. My hair loves the stuff!)

Hmm....that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Don't fret girl. You will get past NL! :yep:

From the sound of it, you may be manipulating your hair too much. My hair is similar....it doesn't take well to manipulation so I try to limit the manipulation to 1 or 2 times a week. Also, when I was at your length, I did a lot of low manipulation styles. I wore a lot of flexirod sets (and I do mean a lot) that I would style into a puff or a fro-hawk. I also wore a lot a phony ponies/buns since I could get my hair into a little nub of a ponytail. I also got my hair braided whenever I could to keep myself from playing in it. I used heat rarely because wrapping was such a chore for me. I couldn't cross wrap b/c my hair would wind up looking a mess and when I would wrap the normal way, I would freak out b/c I would see a few broken hairs b/c I was manipulating my hair so much.

You might also want to evaluate some of the products to you are using...they may not be working for your hair. I know I had to go through a lot of trial and error before I found my core group of products. It seems that you have a lot of protein products too. Your hair sounds similar to mine. My hair isn't necessarily protein sensitive, but it will let me know if I'm giving it too much (it will feel rough). So my hair likes protein, but it likes moisture more (SN: definitely try the AO White Camelia. My hair loves the stuff!)

Hmm....that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Don't fret girl. You will get past NL! :yep:

I'm confused I thought all my products were moisturizing except for the chi keratin mist and last call leave in which is both moisture and protein..which I don't use too often. I only use these when i'm bunning to strengthen the ends or when I see the little pieces. But basically for the past month or so I've only been using my conditioner cleansers and aubrey organics.

I'm confused I thought all my products were moisturizing except for the chi keratin mist and last call leave in which is both moisture and protein..which I don't use too often. I only use these when i'm bunning to strengthen the ends or when I see the little pieces. But basically for the past month or so I've only been using my conditioner cleansers and aubrey organics.

There may be something about those products that are just too much for your hair. With my leave ins, I have one that is strictly moisturizing (Jane Carter Solution Revitalizing Leave In) and one that is strictly protein (Giovanni Direct). The type of DC I use dictates the leave in (moisturizing DC=protein leave in/ protein DC=moisturizing leave in). I dunno though. It just sounded like a lot of protein to me. Maybe you should see how the low manipulation reggie works and if you still see breakage, eliminate one of those leave ins.

Hi...Im a newbie! I just joined 2 days ago. I hope it is not to late to join. I have a TWA and I hope to reach my goal of SL by the end of the year.

I reached SL, YEY!! I'm so happy. I'm barely there so I'll definitely be sticking around posting progress. I straightened again for the 2nd time in 2 weeks (1st time didn't even make through the the top NG)and was really surprised at my length.

I dusted my ends in this pic as well so it was about an inch or 2 longer than this even. Go me....thanks ladies:yep:. Lets keep it going. I want to be full SL by July though.

The pic is of a DC (mayo/honey/veg oil) and pooed mixed w/baking soda. I will be rollersetting for the 1st time as a straightened natural this weekend. Woohoo!

Attachments

• FIRSTAPRIL10 025.JPG
    FIRSTAPRIL10 025.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 31
  • FIRSTAPRIL10 034.JPG
    FIRSTAPRIL10 034.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 29
  • FIRSTAPRIL10 042.jpg
    FIRSTAPRIL10 042.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 41
Sooooo I figured out the problem...I needed a perm I think I was getting breakage from the demarcation line because I just relaxed this wknd and theres no hairs on my shirt, or in my comb or on the floor. I can't stretch my relaxers. I will have to relax b/t 8-10 wks from now on.

Sooooo I figured out the problem...I needed a perm I think I was getting breakage from the demarcation line because I just relaxed this wknd and theres no hairs on my shirt, or in my comb or on the floor. I can't stretch my relaxers. I will have to relax b/t 8-10 wks from now on.

I am glad you figured it out because that can be so stressful to simply NOT know what is going on>

Okay SOOOOOOO! Yesterday I ahd a SERIOUS detangling fiasco. I left my hair out (tryn be cute for the boy) and never wrapped it or braided before I went to sleep. So I woke up with a matted afro puff. So instead of me combing thru it before hopping it the shower. I just slapped on a ish load of condish. Well Then since I was rushing (we stayed up late :D) I got my shower comb and starting combing. Before detangling with my fingers. MISTAKE! I never really have to go the detangling steps alot of the ladies have to because I didn't have enough hair. WELL I guess I do now!!! Needless to say I lost a lot of hair. I wanted to cry but then I remembered this is small and I also just took out my 3 week old braids so there had to be shed hair there as well. I never comb it out after the braids cause I loved the look. So now I am collar bone on one side and something between NL and SL on the other side. My hair was a little uneven anyway due to an asymmetrical bob I had before I started growing my hair out. On the bright side my nape is now at SL I think> I will post pics later for an opinion

I need about 3 inches of hair for my trouble spot in the back to reach the bottom of my neck. I really gotta step my vitamin game up.

I am still trying to figure out what I want to do to my hair for the summer, if anything. Still thinking about senegalese twists or kinky twists. I just hate all that pulling on my hair, esp the edges.

^^^This is going to be the first summer in a while that I'm just wearing my own hair. It's better for me. I'll probably just wear it up a lot because of the heat.

Finally picked up my hair vits last night. Started them immediately. Got a two month supply. Rite Aid brand, I know the cheap ones but I am kind of broke. BUT it does have 3000mcg of biotin and 100mg of MSM. I will get more MSM later in the week, Rite AId didn't have any. SO low manipulation via cornrows under wigs, MT, hair vits and the juice should have me straight by the end of june since I am nearly there anyway.

^^^This is going to be the first summer in a while that I'm just wearing my own hair. It's better for me. I'll probably just wear it up a lot because of the heat.

I think I will probably end up just wearing my own hair as well. I really don't like braids and weaves and stuff. i may get a weave for when i go on vacation but thats it.

it is just hard to maintain any type of style for real when hair is short and layered like mine.

i will likely not wear my hair this summer. i'm gonna be super busy at my scholarship program, and i don't want to be concerned with hair. i'm thinking about getting some yarn braids.

i will likely not wear my hair this summer. i'm gonna be super busy at my scholarship program, and i don't want to be concerned with hair. i'm thinking about getting some yarn braids.

I feel you on that. When I was in college, one of my hardest semesters, I had microbraids, it definitely helped having one less thing to worry about. I'd pull an all nighter studying, nap for about 30 minutes, shower, pull the braids back in ponytail, maybe throw on some lipgloss, review my notes one last time, and be on my merry little way.

I think I will probably end up just wearing my own hair as well. I really don't like braids and weaves and stuff. i may get a weave for when i go on vacation but thats it.

it is just hard to maintain any type of style for real when hair is short and layered like mine.

Really? I'm liking my layered short hair right now. I did an unintentional bantu knot out the other day and it looked fab. Maybe it's because I have fine hair so I love that the layered cut makes my hair look more full.

I am due for a trim in a week or two. I am trimming after 11 months and finally will see where my hair will fall. I will try to remember to take a picture of it for my fotki album.

I am absolutely sure my hair is shoulder length. My braider and I determined this but I will keep posting in this thread until I have straightened my hair so I can take a photo of it.

what I will be doing :

-wear protective styles such as cornrows or twists- very low manipulation... detangle and re-do every two weeks.
-lightly oil or grease scalp 3 times weekly
-moisturise and seal ends daily.
-dilute shampoo to clean scalp as needed
-clarify 1nce a month
-aphogee 2 min reconstructor as needed
- deep condtion 1-2 a month
- co-wash 1-2 a week/ use leave in afterwards

no heat eva, unless to straighten for length checks
sleep in satin bonnet always.

- drink at 70 ounces of water daily
-take prental vitamin
-cardio 3-4 times a week
-try to eat leaft green more.

-leave in- aphogee pro-vitmin- and giovanni direct
diluted shampoo- organix coconut milk poo or aphogee damage hair shampoo<<

I blew my hair out and flat ironed yesterday, before I got my hair re-braided and added my photo to my piki-strip and I will add it to my Fotki. I think there is a little progress, but I am disappointed. My hair is growing in a weird shape and I thought I would have had more retention. I think I will trim it the next time I flat Iron it, probably at the end of may.

Back