Shoulder Length in 2010 Challenge!!!

My long term goal is APL. I'm petite, I think anything more would be too much.
Dang... you're making me feel bad. I'm only 4'10" and I was JUST thinking that maybe WSL was waaaay too long because I didn't want to look like walking hair, so I cut it off at MBL, but dang... you're cutting off at APL....

Dang... you're making me feel bad. I'm only 4'10" and I was JUST thinking that maybe WSL was waaaay too long because I didn't want to look like walking hair, so I cut it off at MBL, but dang... you're cutting off at APL....

Awww, I didn't know you were that short! :-)

I'm about 5"1. People are always telling me they like me at neck/bob length. I think I could maybe wear longer hair, but it would have to have some layers/side swept bangs or something. Also, my face is kinda long. Just don't think super long hair would be a good look on me.

Its just an individual preference, and also face shape plays a big role. I know lots of short people who look nice with really long hair.

Awww, I didn't know you were that short! :-)

I'm about 5"1. People are always telling me they like me at neck/bob length. I think I could maybe wear longer hair, but it would have to have some layers/side swept bangs or something. Also, my face is kinda long. Just don't think super long hair would be a good look on me.

Its just an individual preference, and also face shape plays a big role. I know lots of short people who look nice with really long hair.

Yes, I am a tiny one. The only LHCF-er shorter than me that I know of is Simple_Komplexity. :lachen:
Anyway, I definitely see what you're saying. I used to wear the side-swept bang when I was younger and it looked great on me. Then I lost like 15 pounds and I really started liking the look of the middle part despite my round face. And now, even though I gained that 15 back (+ 5 more... smh), I still have grown accustomed to the middle part in the mirror, and then I feel disgusted when I see the pictures... lol. Oh well. I just need to lose 20 pounds! But that's a ramble...
Anyway, I don't know what I'd look like with long hair because the longest I've ever had is CBL so I don't know if I can wear it well either. I have yet to see a really short person wear super-long hair down and straight and not look like walking hair (unless it's curled or with some sort of texture in some way).

Yes, I am a tiny one. The only LHCF-er shorter than me that I know of is Simple_Komplexity. :lachen:
Anyway, I definitely see what you're saying. I used to wear the side-swept bang when I was younger and it looked great on me. Then I lost like 15 pounds and I really started liking the look of the middle part despite my round face. And now, even though I gained that 15 back (+ 5 more... smh), I still have grown accustomed to the middle part in the mirror, and then I feel disgusted when I see the pictures... lol. Oh well. I just need to lose 20 pounds! But that's a ramble...
Anyway, I don't know what I'd look like with long hair because the longest I've ever had is CBL so I don't know if I can wear it well either. I have yet to see a really short person wear super-long hair down and straight and not look like walking hair (unless it's curled or with some sort of texture in some way).

yeah, i think this is key. If i had long hair, it would always be in like a roller set or something. I LOVE big, sexy, glamorous hair at any length. I'd want to wear it something like your siggy pic.

I have a family member who is 4"11 and she has long hair. it doesn't look bad on her, I think she has bangs and subtle layering though.

yeah, i think this is key. If i had long hair, it would always be in like a roller set or something. I LOVE big, sexy, glamorous hair at any length. I'd want to wear it something like your siggy pic.

I have a family member who is 4"11 and she has long hair. it doesn't look bad on her, I think she has bangs and subtle layering though.

Same! One of the reasons why I wanted long hair when I was younger was so that I could do roller sets that would still look long and pretty and would "hang down." My hairstylist had really long hair and when she set hers, it would be long, APL waves. I would get my SL/CBL hair set, and mine was nape-length tight curls. I HATED that. Lol. After that, I was convinced I wanted long hair so I could wear a roller set. If I get to MBL, my hair will only be straight to trim. After that, I'll probably be using the mess out of my Caruso.
And I definitely think bangs and layering make a difference because you don't look like Cousin It with hair the same length all around. I don't want to get bangs or short layers but it might be necessary. I do LOVE the U-shaped hair and that's a way to have really long hair and not look like walking hair... guess my goal of U-shaped MBL makes functional and aesthetic sense!

So how is the growing going ladies??
Not too bad. I mean, it's in a weave, and I'm working out regularly, taking my multivitamin, drinking loads of water, and eating balanced meals, so I think things are doing fine under there.:yep:
I'm kinda annoyed at how one of my tracks is loose. I've only washed it twice-this shouldn't happen. :nono:

oh, and my long term goal might be full, fairly blunt APL. it looks super long on me when I get that length in a weave-maybe it's because i'm fairly small. i really want the bluntness, though, so i'm willing to trim as often as i need to to get to a blunt shape.

So how is the growing going ladies??

I think it's going well. I haven't had any breakage or any hairs in the comb ever since the BC so I'm pretty happy about that. I am confident I will make SL, but I think it might only be my bottom layers because my natural layers are pretty intense. The layers above my ears are a little past jaw-length now, and the ones above are about ear-length, and the very top layers are hitting the outer points of my eyes. I will correct these layers AFTER I hit MBL though... lol. I need to know that I can get there before I start hacking away.

Looking good, i think its noticeably longer. I am having lunch with someone this wknd who hasn't seen me since I took my braids out (my ex:drunk:) so we'll see if he notices the difference. He knows how I am about my hair so if it looks longer he will definitely point that out.

I will probably go back into braids mid September.

Some of it is starting to brush against my clothes, esp if I put on something with a collar or like a hoodie. So yeah, I won't be wearing it out straight much anymore.

Last edited:
I did a cowash today and noticed that my natural curl isn't as tight as it was when first started. Starting to be more wave-like now. Granted I'm only 4 months post, but I can't wait to see how my texture is when I hit the one year mark. I'm hoping to be SL by the time I take this install out in October, but one can only hope :lachen:

Checking in!!!!!

Okay ladies, I know I don't check in on this thread very much but I figure that since this is a growing challenge you just really have to be patient, take care of your hair and... wait! I haven't really had anything to report till now. Hair takes time to grow after all! :grin:

Anyway, I am more optimistic than ever that I can actually make SL by the end of the year!

Check it out! This is where I started at the end of January.

me1-vi.jpg

100_0532-vi.jpg

And here's my hair now! I flat ironed it... kinda. :look:

100_1484-vi.jpg

100_1483-vi.jpg

100_1489-vi.jpg

Still got a little ways to go, but I've definitely made some progress! :yep:

So... I said I wasn't going to straighten my hair until december, but then I bought a Babyliss overhead dryer and a chi... :look: So why not post pictures of how far I've come? I'm 5 1/2 months post btw.

So this was my length at first

SLtoAPL-1.jpg

Then I got a "dusting" by a SHS on July 2nd :wallbash:

haircut.jpg

I found out how to do a donut bun with no sock on my NL hair though. :weird:

NLBun2.jpg

Today, Aug 31st, almost 2 months after my "dusting" I am almost SL!

progress.jpg

And even though I straightened it... its still getting bunned. although I will admit its kinda messy.

straightbun.jpg

Man I can't wait until December for my length check. I'm staying positive and claiming that I will make SL by then :yep:

Ladies, i've had the same thought!!!! It feels like my hair is getting thicker and growing because it takes me longer to style my hair than it did before and I was really asking myself "Self, if your arms are getting tired NOW and your not even SL what the HECK are you going to do with APL, BLS, OR MBL" I told myself that I would probably just wear a bun or a puff when I didn't feel like being bothered with it; but honestly I don't know!

I was just thinking this the other day! I was like, do I really want all the hair I say I do? But it's always easier for it to be longer and cut it.

Man I can't wait until December for my length check. I'm staying positive and claiming that I will make SL by then :yep:

Me either! and to add to it.. I'm ready to wear my hair straight.. but I CAN'T because of a couple of challenges I'm in.. that's another story!

^^ I third that! I am so ready to see what my hair looks like. It's not fair! I should have waited a little bit longer to put my hair back undercover. I should have straightened it so I could at least see where I am! Ugh... SO tempted to straighten.

I am jumping in on this challenge as I BC in June after 10mnths of transitioning. My hair is growing nicely and I have faith that I will be SL in December. I will not do any length checks until then and I will hide my hair the entire time.
I think the back of my hair will def. make SL but the side may take a few more months.

^^ Same for me! I know my back will make it, but I will have some pretty extreme layers. It's cool with me though since my ultimate goal is to have some subtle layers anyway.

I think my back will be there next month, if it's not already there based on when I try to stretch it (darn you HYH challenge!!!!) but I definitely know the very front won't. The front probably won't be full SL until I'm like APL. Right now it only stretches to eye length/the top of my ear, so my goal for that part is to be at earlobe length by December.
What about you Nikki?

I have a very strong feeling that I may be there already, but not full SL. after the last install, I didn't straighten my hair b/c I'm waiting until December. Well with it wet and NG still thick and curly, my relaxed ends were already grazing a little bit past my shoulders. I'm not ready to claim it yet until I do a length check. I would love to be between SL and APL by the end of the year, but that's a hoop dream lol

^^ Girl you're already there then. That NG makes your hair shrink up something TERRIBLE!. When I was APL with like 11 months of NG, my hair shrunk up to like nape length.

Well hopefully when I'm 11 months, I have the same thing going on lol. But lately I've noticed my curl pattern change with my NG. it used to be a bonafide 4a and now, it's a little looser. It's very odd, but it just makes me more curious to see what it will be like after I BC. I'm only 19 weeks so I have a LONG way to go lol

^^ Yeah, your hair will change a lot. I couldn't really tell my texture until about 8 or 9 months, and even still, when I chopped there were some parts that I thought I was really going to dislike because they were basically straight (and right up front, so I was like ugggggh. I'll never be able to wear a WNG) but when I chopped, it turned into a type 3 wave. I think if you start off with a lot of relaxed hair, it's even harder to tell because I know that will definitely weigh your NG down. I however, had only 5 inches of relaxed hair and it was extremely thin and unhealthy, so it didn't really do much to my NG once it fully emerged except that one part in the front.

I'm judging it based on the front/bang area where it was really short in the beginning. everytime I wash/cowash my hair and I comb that part, I hold the relaxed ends to just support the weight and check out the NG. I plan on doing a pretty long transition so I may go from 4a to 3c to 4b for all I know lol

^^ Trust me - nothing you do to the relaxed hair will truly simulate what your hair will look like when they're gone. I tried everything. But don't worry. You will really see it if you're doing a long transition. Like I said, around 9 months, my hair sort of stopped "changing" so I wasn't surprised when I chopped at all. I knew I was going to have 4a/3c hair.

Back