Shoulder Length in 2010 Challenge!!!

I'm SLOWLY getting there. That was taken a few weeks ago and I'm currently in an install until hopefully October. Fingers are crossed that I'll make it :look:

Attachments

• 13%20weeks.jpg
    13%20weeks.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 33
Does anyone in here ever do twist outs or braid outs? I want to try it, but wonder if it will look cute with my hair so short.
i do them all the time. if your hair is cut in some sort of shape, they'll fall nicely.
if you wanna show more length, band your hair or even blow it out first, and then twist/braid out. i definitely recommend using small perm rods on the ends because to me my twist/braid outs look cuter when i use them. :yep:
lemme see if i can dig up a few pics...

NikkiQ, your hair is looking good!!:yep:
i'm seriously feeling a little confused about when to claim shoulder length...

^^^^you and me both! Does it mean sitting on the shoulders, between the shoulder blades at the very top, what....????? I wish there was a way to figure it out b/c I'm anxious.

I forgot I even put myself on this challenge but heres my progress pic.

I couldnt find any pics from December or November but this is from October the 12th 2009. My hair wasnt touching my shoulders but was about a half inch or so away and I wanted full shoulder length.
pic101209_7.jpg

Here is yesterday August 2010
Image0.jpg

For those of you who feel like your hair isnt growing fast enough, just relax, it takes time and your hair is always growing...a watched pot never boils.

HHJ Ladies!

i do them all the time. if your hair is cut in some sort of shape, they'll fall nicely.
if you wanna show more length, band your hair or even blow it out first, and then twist/braid out. i definitely recommend using small perm rods on the ends because to me my twist/braid outs look cuter when i use them. :yep:
lemme see if i can dig up a few pics...

NikkiQ, your hair is looking good!!:yep:
i'm seriously feeling a little confused about when to claim shoulder length...

I've seen some of your braidouts in your fotki and they always come out really nice. :yep:I think you have quite a bit more hair than I do tho.

I'm a little style challenged when it comes to hair; not much of a do-it-yourselfer. I went to this natural salon and they were talking about like $75 for twist outs:nono: which is a bit much. So I am going to experiment with it myself one night (when I dont' have to be anywhere the next day)after I take these braids out. I got some perm rods from Sallys the other day.

^^^^you and me both! Does it mean sitting on the shoulders, between the shoulder blades at the very top, what....????? I wish there was a way to figure it out b/c I'm anxious.

I would photoshop a line right at the top of your shoulders in a pic, I think thats the easiest way to tell.

Now, if you are layered, thats kinda subjective and based on if you mind if its just the very bottom layer or most of the layers or whatever.

ETA: It looks like you are grazing SL in the pic.

Last edited:
I would photoshop a line right at the top of your shoulders in a pic, I think thats the easiest way to tell.

Now, if you are layered, thats kinda subjective and based on if you mind if its just the very bottom layer or most of the layers or whatever.

ETA: It looks like you are grazing SL in the pic.

Ah ok. I'm gonna have to try that when I do my next length check and have my SO take the pic for me so my shoulders won't be uneven from holding the camera over my shoulder :grin:. I hope I am SL by the length check(October) but we shall see.

Great progress Natural Detroit, congrats!!! Wow! I am just now seeing your pics (couldn't see them at work). Girl, u better gone head and get in the APL 2010 challenge!

Does anyone in here ever do twist outs or braid outs? I want to try it, but wonder if it will look cute with my hair so short.

I do them all the time.. it's pretty much the only PS I can do with my hair this length that I don't mind wearing.
In my pics are bantu knots, twist out and a braid out. I prefer those styles to my wash go's.

Attachments

• bantujuly2010.jpg
    bantujuly2010.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1052.jpg
    IMG_1052.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG00007-20100526-1911.jpg
    IMG00007-20100526-1911.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 33
Natural Detroit, your hair looks great!!
we're kicking you out of here now :giggle:

:sad: awwwwwww, well i've been kicked out of better places *packing my bags and taking my CHI with me* hmph :rofl:
HHJ Ladies!

sidenote I dont think I'll join another challenge I forget to easily :look:

How is everyone doing?? Still growing like crazy huh??? :D

taking down my kinky twists at the end of this week and getting straightened. It will have only been about 5 weeks since my last straightening, but hoping to see a little progress.

Hoping and a wishing and a praying for full SL by December. :pray:

weren't you saying you were touching SL already?? Then a nice full SL is totally within reach for you :yep:

taking down my kinky twists at the end of this week and getting straightened. It will have only been about 5 weeks since my last straightening, but hoping to see a little progress.

How often do you straighten? I'm not gonna straighten mine until my 6 month post mark in October when I take my braids out.

By some standards I guess I'm SL now, I still want to give it another inch before I claim it.

I won't be happay until I reach APL. :lol:

ummmm....i still don't know whether or not to claim SL. so i'll put up some pics from my weekend straightening job, and let you guys decide.

How often do you straighten? I'm not gonna straighten mine until my 6 month post mark in October when I take my braids out.

I straighten weekly and have throughout my transition. Im not afraid of heat, and when used properly my hair does fine with it.

But I am going to start rotating wearing out and straight with braids, depending on the state of my hair once I take this current set out. I really hope it agrees with my hair bc I like how low maintenance they are.

I don't really know how I feel about my growth... Maybe I'm watching the pot boil. :ohwell: I will say that I was trying to hold out on getting my hair trimmed but I can't take it! I have to get my hair trimmed.. I feel like my need of a trim has increased my ssk's (have any of you experienced this?) How often are you ladies trimming? it's been almost 4 months since I trimmed, I wanted to wait till January but I can't wait that long.

Hi ladies, I'm finally adding pics. I think most of my hair will be at shoulder by December. I blow-dried my hair today for these pics:

backview_8_13_2010.jpg lengthcheck_8_13_2010.jpg

Click for larger view.​

I don't really know how I feel about my growth... Maybe I'm watching the pot boil. :ohwell: I will say that I was trying to hold out on getting my hair trimmed but I can't take it! I have to get my hair trimmed.. I feel like my need of a trim has increased my ssk's (have any of you experienced this?) How often are you ladies trimming? it's been almost 4 months since I trimmed, I wanted to wait till January but I can't wait that long.
I been trying to figure this out too. I don't really get SSK's I don't think, tho.
I just got a trim yesterday (looks good but she was tiny bit too aggressive with them scissors) and its been almost 4 months since my last "trim" that turned into a big cut. I don't wont to trim too often but I hate scraggly ends, which can look esp bad since my strands are fine and my hair is layered.

I feel like every 4 months is not too often if you feel you need it and don't cut off too much. I was reading some thread with this lady's amazing progress pics and she said she got regular trims every 3 to 4 months.

this picture was June, I'm not sure if I'll make full SL or not, especially the sides. They are a little past chin length now.

Attachments

• 061510.jpg
    061510.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 20
I guess I've made a little progress since joining this challenge. I probably won't be SL by year end, maybe a few strands, but not all of those layers back there.

First pic is from end of April, second pic is this weekend. I prob won't put any more pics up til end of year.

Attachments

• progress.jpg
    progress.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 44
Well I couldn't wait any longer, I went ahead and got my trim.. I'm sooo happy with it.. it's apparent that I got a trim but it looks good.. if I can retain at least a half inch every month I should be darn close to sl by december.

I'm still continuing with my ceramides and protein along with my cowashes and other oils. My hair is certainly healthy.

I been trying to figure this out too. I don't really get SSK's I don't think, tho.
I just got a trim yesterday (looks good but she was tiny bit too aggressive with them scissors) and its been almost 4 months since my last "trim" that turned into a big cut. I don't wont to trim too often but I hate scraggly ends, which can look esp bad since my strands are fine and my hair is layered.

I feel like every 4 months is not too often if you feel you need it and don't cut off too much. I was reading some thread with this lady's amazing progress pics and she said she got regular trims every 3 to 4 months.

Back