Should you keep your ring on while sleeping at night????

mzmissyred

I recently got engaged over the weekend!!:)) My question: Should you take off your ring when you go to sleep at night? I always thought you just keep the ring on at all times unless you feel you are doing something that might damage the ring in some way but my fiance asked me last night why I sleep with the ring and I told him I didn't realize most people (married or engaged) took their rings off at night. Do you take your rings off at night ladies???

I recently got engaged over the weekend!!:)) My question: Should you take off your ring when you go to sleep at night? I always thought you just keep the ring on at all times unless you feel you are doing something that might damage the ring in some way but my fiance asked me last night why I sleep with the ring and I told him I didn't realize most people (married or engaged) took their rings off at night. Do you take your rings off at night ladies???

Congrats on your engagement!!!

He tripping... I sleep and do everything with my rings on...:yep:

CONGRATS on your engagement!!!!

When I was married....I kept my ring on for everything unless it was something that would harm "my precious":look:

Plus, I'm so absentminded that I'd forget I took it off and then freak out because I forgot where I put it.:nono:
My vote is keep it on:yep:

I do everything except use chemicals with mine on. Let me add that dh had a diamond encrusted ring. He set it down, now its lost.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S via LHCF app :look:

Thank you ladies!!! I knew this was the right place to ask this question. I will keep mine on. Beside I know how I am... I will take it off and forget where I placed it. Unless its something I think will damage the ring... its staying on:)

I couldnt keep my engagement ring on at night. I'd hurt myself or him somehow. I take it off when I get in the house for good too. I'm afraid I'd bang it up.

The lady at the jewelry store recommended that I not sleep in it. She said that most people lose diamonds that way. So I don't sleep in mine either!

Eta

I keep it in my jewelry box when it's not on my hand.. I think if u make a point to keep it in the same place everyday you shouldn't have any issues..

Oh annnd
Once we are married I would never take my band off, just the diamond.

Last edited:
I have hit it against a couple of things in the last two days...I have to get use to having it on my finger. Actually I don't have any issues sleeping with it at night. I am still so excited about getting engaged I don't want to take it off:)

Sent from my PB99400 using Long Hair Care Forum App

I've had my engagement ring for a little over a month now. At night I put it back in its box and leave it on the silver vanity tray by my bed.

I have hit it against a couple of things in the last two days...I have to get use to having it on my finger. Actually I don't have any issues sleeping with it at night. I am still so excited about getting engaged I don't want to take it off:)

Yeah, the first few days I was hitting it against everything and cringing every single time. But now I am more conscious of it on my hand. Even when I get home and take it off, I find I am still more delicate with my left hand and then I realize I took it off :lol: ..It is harder for me because I am a lefty.

I am a lefty too:)
Yeah, the first few days I was hitting it against everything and cringing every single time. But now I am more conscious of it on my hand. Even when I get home and take it off, I find I am still more delicate with my left hand and then I realize I took it off :lol: ..It is harder for me because I am a lefty.

My rings come off and hit the dresser as soon as I get home. I've never misplaced them and the kids don't bother my rings. Congrats on your engagement.

When I was married I took mine off at night...because of the cut of the diamond it was very easy for me to cut myself in my sleep.

Congrats on your engagement. I just got engaged in November and I have to take mine off at night because my fingers swell at night.

I take both of my rings off at night, every night. Always have. I can't sleep with anything on my hands like that. I put them away in the same place and put them back on every day that I leave the home.

I take mine off cause I've injured DH with it in the bed....Its now a habit for us to put our rings in our jewelry box before bed, and we grab it before we go. Every once in a while one of us will forget to wear it in the AM, but of course there is a spot on our fingers now that shows a ring is missing....We try to remind each other to get our ring when we're getting dressed.

My friend just got married, and wears her ring to bed, but its been three months and she's lost her ring. She believes she lost it in bed since she remembered laying down with it, but not waking up with it....

I take mine off cause I've injured DH with it in the bed....Its now a habit for us to put our rings in our jewelry box before bed, and we grab it before we go. Every once in a while one of us will forget to wear it in the AM, but of course there is a spot on our fingers now that shows a ring is missing....We try to remind each other to get our ring when we're getting dressed.

My friend just got married, and wears her ring to bed, but its been three months and she's lost her ring. She believes she lost it in bed since she remembered laying down with it, but not waking up with it....
That's what we do. I haven't injured dh, but I have scratched myself, so off it goes. Congratulations!

I dont sleep with it on or wear it in the house. Only when exiting the house with DH do I place it on my finger.

I don't rings in the house period, nor do I wear my rings if I'm working out or doing gardening.

If you wear your rings 24/7 you should have your prongs checked at the very least once a year, and should also have the center stone checked for abrasions or facet wear.

-A

I have been sleeping with mine on. We had a special part in the ceremony where certain married couples held our rings and said a prayer over them so it's important for us to keep them on. Feels like they have "special powers" lol!

Congrats! I take mine off as soon as I get home. Rings and watch go in jewelry box.

Sent from my DROID3 using DROID3

The only time I take my ring off is if I'm relaxing my hair, working in the flower bed or cooking something that is really messy. I don't want food in my ring. Other than that I don't take my ring off.

I take mine off at night. Normally as soon as I get home I take off my ring and keep my band on. I am so protective of it and don't want to chance anything happening. I would be devastated.

When I was married, I kept my ring on always. In fact, probably about year six or seven of my marriage, my ring started cutting my finger. :yep: IDK why.....I took it as an omen. (the marriage wasn't right) I had a marquise center stone (I know, but it was the 90's)...and somehow, it would shift hard enough to dig into the skin on my ring finger. I would wake up with little bloody cuts underneath my rings! :nono: I really took that as a bad omen.

Still, I don't see anything wrong with wearing your ring(s) to bed. Unless the set is really large and constricting or has sharp edges or something. If it irritates you, then take it off but if not, I don't see the problem. I would probably forget my rings if I had taken them off every night.

I slept in my engagement ring for the first 6 months or so then my center stone got loose and I had to have it repaired. The jeweler recommended not to sleep in it because that commonly happens. I have a "floating" stone so I am not sure if that is why I had the issue. She gave me a crystal ring holder and now I just remove both rings and place them there pretty much as soon as I walk in the house.

Interesting. I never knew that so many women took their rings off at night. Mine only comes off if I'm cleaning, gardening, etc. But, as a number of people have pointed out, I have the prongs checked every six months. My jeweler also cleans my ring at that time.

DH nor I sleep with our rings on.. When we come in the house we take them off, we put them in the same place everyday so we know where to find them.. The only time I sleep with my rings on is while on vacation.

Back