Should some things be private?

Charlotte

Do you have your SO's password for his email, cell phone, etc., etc.

Does he have yours?

Underwhat circumstances do you utilize the passcodes?

I have his e-mail password...The account is mostly for job-related purposes so he knows that I check it from time to time.

We have each other's cell phone passwords but I have never checked his messages and he hasn't checked mine (not to my knowledge).

I think some things should definitely be private. I don't mean you have your cell on vibrate because you're cheating type of private... but if trust is lacking in the relationship, this issue will become a huge problem. If he *has* to have your passcodes or vice-versa, I think that is kind of unsettling..?

Also, when a partner wants to step out, nothing will stop him/her. You can obtain a new e-mail account, new cell phone and number, etc. You have to have trust but I guess that is obvious.

I have his e-mail password...The account is mostly for job-related purposes so he knows that I check it from time to time.

We have each other's cell phone passwords but I have never checked his messages and he hasn't checked mine (not to my knowledge).

I think some things should definitely be private. I don't mean you have your cell on vibrate because you're cheating type of private... but if trust is lacking in the relationship, this issue will become a huge problem. If he *has* to have your passcodes or vice-versa, I think that is kind of unsettling..?

Also, when a partner wants to step out, nothing will stop him/her. You can obtain a new e-mail account, new cell phone and number, etc. You have to have trust but I guess that is obvious.

I agree w/this! There are a million different ways to cheat. I never felt that having my SO's passwords would be some type of cheating preventative. My SO doesn't lock his cellphone, but I have absolutely no reason to touch it, unless he asks me to make a call for him. I lock mine as to keep from accidentally dialing someone while my phone is in my purse. He doesn't care and has never asked for the password. We have our own separate computers...and we don't know each others codes. Doesn't bother either of us.

I agree with the ladies.

I have his password/passcodes to several things and he knows (he gave them to me at different times for one reason or another). He has some of my passwords too but not all. Though, even if he did have all, it's really nothing he would find there.

I have none of my SO's passwords and he doesn't have mine. He doesn't ask me for mine and I don't ask him for his. I trust him fully and have never had a need, thought or desire to go through his things. I respect his space and he does mine.

I have his passwords and he has mine. I do keep somethings locked in a safe here at the office.

We have each other's passwords to everthing. Mainly because we have to pay bills online and other things that use the same 7 or 8 passwords that we both have to change and keep up with regularly.

I have none of my SO's passwords and he doesn't have mine. He doesn't ask me for mine and I don't ask him for his. I trust him fully and have never had a need, thought or desire to go through his things. I respect his space and he does mine.

Ditto.........Anything that involves the both of us- bank account, credit card accounts, etc, we use the same username/passcode combos, so we can both get in. DH doesnt know my email or cell passcode, and frankly I'd be offended if he asked. I mean I would give it to him, but why do you need it??? I don't know his either, and I don't care to know.

I agree- if DH had intentions to do dirt, he isnt fool enough to use accounts that I may have access to, so my knowing his passcodes doesnt really safeguard anything.

I was on the other side of a spouse having access to email. I had a girlfriend that I would send fun emails to mostly, but occasionally I would send her emails telling her what was going on in my life (nothing too deep, but it was still my personal business). When she mentioned that her husband got a kick out of an email I sent, I asked her what did she mean. She casually says, "Oh, he goes in my email and reads it". In case anyone hasn't figured it out, I no longer send her email. :ohwell:

Back