Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie

I liked it when my hair was shorter. It didn't do anything to add extra curl definition, but it left my hair very soft. I used it when I twisted or finger coiled. One container lasted for almost 8 months. I don't see myself buying it again because I discovered other things that worked better. It smells amazing though!

As you can see ^^^^^, In Love !!! No but, I like it a lot! I'm relaxed bone sraight and it does not revert at all, yet it's so moisturizing. It holds so well, yet at the same time it doesn't get hard, perfect for when I'm wearing ponytails or buns, slicks it down so good, you would think I had gel in my hair! Thumbs up!!!

Last edited:
Smells great and feels soft... then it just made my hair feel dry and crunchy. I expected it to be a lot more moisturizing.

Would not buy this again. I really wanted to like it, though.

I see a lot of people on youtube use this product.

Anyone use it?
Do you like it? Hate it?
Does it moisturize well?
Define well?
What does it smell of?

Also, does anyone know of anywhere that ships it to the UK? I wanna try it so bad. :sad:
i bought a bunch during the sale... haven't even opened those shipments:ohwell:

I love it, but usually use it in combination with Shea Moisture's Moisture Retention Conditioner (as a leave in) and Shea Moisture's Milk. Also, I have a TWA. But I love it. It makes my hair soft and defines my curls.

Anyone use it? - Yes, Everyday on my head and my children's heads

Do you like it? Hate it? - Love it. It holds my hair down when bunning. My daughters love it because of the smell. I used it in my 10-year old head when doing her kinky twists. My 1 year old loves rubbing it on her curls.

Does it moisturize well? I'm going to say its in the middle of the road. I have a thirty head, so I would see in 3 days my hair would be dry.

Define well? - Yes.

What does it smell of? Reminds me of candy. But it has a soft playful coconutty smell with a hint of flower fragrance. Nothing that would get you sent home from work or anything. My 10-year old daughter tells me all the time how she gets compliments in school about how nice she smells.

Interesting to see that many use it but must use another product along with it to counteract the thing they do not like about it.:perplexed

I like it and use it alone, well I do use the milk. The first time I used it I put it on my soaking wet hair and HATED it. But the next time i put it on damp hair and it was 100% better. And I love the scent.

I use a lil on dry hair it melts right in (as coconut oil does), and I also seal my ends with it while damp. I've also used the hair milk and like it too. I use the smoothie, hair milk, anti-breakage/anti-thinning mask, deep trtmnt mask, hold n shine mist, etc. I love all the products I've tried, though someone needs to write to Mr. Rich Dennis (CEO of Shea Moisture, a black male) and tell him that "curl-enhancing" on the smoothie is a TOTAL lie and misnomer... it DOES NOT enhance curl...but gives great moisture!

I don't have to use anything with the products to get them to work how I want. I use the above-mentioned products on my 3 y.o. DD hair as well, and she is kinky-coily 4a/b. Makes her hair soft and moist, easier to comb while dry. Nice fragrance in all of them! Maybe its just my hair but I love me some Shea Moisture!

Last edited:
[USER=143238 said:
Zaz[/USER] ;13274897]I :love: this stuff.

I really like it for my wash n gos, it's a nice creamy product with a bit of weight to it, it kept my hair moisturised all day and gave me nice definition.
I twisted my hair with it and it worked well, the next day I had nice well definied twists so it has a nice hold to it.
The only reason why I might not use it for twists in the future is I tend to do my twistouts over night and it smells very sweet and was too much for me to handle while I slept.
However the smell didn't bother me when I did the wash n go.

sheamoisturesmoothie.jpg

thanks for the review! have you ever compare this or tried Miss Jessie's butter creme? trying to see how this works in comparison

I love the one in the tub and use it as a dc. I bought the leave in , but wasn't too impressed. It was moisturizing at first but that wore of after a while. Based on what you ladies are saying I think I'm gonna give the dc a shot as a leave in.

thanks for the review! have you ever compare this or tried Miss Jessie's butter creme? trying to see how this works in comparison

They're pretty different, the SheaMoisture is more of a creamy gel while MJ is more of a flat out cream. I only tried the buttercreme on twistouts and never a wng so I can't accurately compare the two. But I still prefer SheaMoisture for twistouts, MJ's too expensive for no reason.

Last edited:
I love the scent I havent used it for a wash and go yet but it is soo thick one day I was thinking I should try it to slick my hair down into my bun it worked really well for me that way and my hair stays moisturized. I went Shea Moisture crazy when they had the bogo and I bought basically the whole line so far Im happy with everything I have tried my faves right now though are the curl enhancing smoothie and african black soap purifying masque.

Last edited:
I'm going to pick up the Curl Enhancing Smoothie today. This youtube review convinced me (http://youtu.be/yr7_qXoyrfI - she tends to not product hop) and the fact that it's available at the local Walgreen's in stock for $9.99.

I did not see it at the local Target when I checked early this week.

ETA - Found it at Target for $9.99. Walgreen's had it too but for $11.99:perplexed

Last edited:
Ok, I have two jars of it now :D and will be trying it later today after I rinse out my deep conditioner. Will let you know what my first impressions are.

But I LOVE the smell! Nice smelling products are a weakness for me.

I have my Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and KeraCare Natural Textures Twist & Define cream. I love the shea moisture smell - it's like candy. The KeraCare looks almost radioactive - sort of mauve.

Maybe it depends on your hairtype, but I didn't care for this product at all. It was super heavy in my hair and and didn't define my curls much. I will say it's definitely moisturizing, but in a very thick, almost overly-moisturizing way. I ended up passing it along to a 4b friend of mine.

Edit: I did use it as a dc right before I passed it off, and it worked well. Not my favorite dc, but decent.

i recently started using it for twistout. i use it when i retwist my hair at night. my hair feels really soft and moist in the morning. my ends feel pretty good too. i haven't used Miss Jessie's though.

Ok, so I tried it yesterday and I love it!

It's very moisturising and left my hair soft. I agree that it doesn't define very much, but I'm ok with that, I can just use a styler or gel on top for curl definition.

I love it. I have been using it on my twistouts. It gives me a lot of moisture and defines my curls and last for days.... I would recommend it.

Sent from my PG06100 using PG06100

I love the smell and texture but the product does nothing but make my thick-with-fine-strand-4a/3c hair sticky and weigh it down. For my money, I prefer the curl milk. They smell very similar, too.

I use a lil on dry hair it melts right in (as coconut oil does), and I also seal my ends with it while damp. I love all the products I've tried, though someone needs to write to Mr. Rich Dennis (CEO of Shea Moisture, a black male) and tell him that "curl-enhancing" on the smoothie is a TOTAL lie and misnomer... it DOES NOT enhance curl

I agree. This product should have been labeled a "butter." This reminds me of a butter, no resemblance to a gel, no curl enhancement and no shine.

I don't really think that the two differ much. Aside from the ingredients. MJ's gives off a sheen that I don't get with Curl Enhancing Smoothie. Both do the best work for me when my hair is damp or soaking wet.

I soooo want to try this. Right now I am loving the coconut & hibiscus curl style milk.

I like the Shea Moisture Line. The Curl Milk is my favorite and what I'd stock up on.

i use it to slick down my hair for buns and pony tails.

it doesnt leave flakes and its a soft hold so that my hair doesnt feel like a hard had. it smells good. i dont have to use a lot of it to get the job done.

i used it one time on top of my CD milk on a wng i got a lot of compliments that day on the shine and my curls. i didnt like it because it controlled my curls too much so my hair didnt get as big as i usually like it. the only reason i even tried it on a wng was because i had too much on my hands for slicking down the halo and got rid of the rest on the rest of my hair.

I tried this with ecostyler gel with olive oil, because eco styler alone was leaving my hair too dry. I washed my hair then applied the leave-in masque instead of DCing, then I mixed the curl smoothie with equal parts of eco styler because my hair needs stronger hold of it. I did this on my Tuesday and it is now Friday, my hair still very, very moisturized. the most moisture it has had since last summer. My only criticism with the hair smoothie is the fragrance. It's a very strong, almost overpowering sweet fragrance. When I first put it in my hiar my nose was burning from the overwhelming aroma. I smell it all the time and that is annoying. I don't like to always be aware of a fragrance even if it does smell good.

Last edited:
I love the smoothie. It defines my curls. I apply it using the shingling method using about 6-8 sections and making sure its applied evenly from root to tip. As I'm working it in doing the shingling method and combing it throught with my fingers or wide tooth comb my curls become super defined and it makes my hair very shiney. Maybe how its applied makes a difference. It makes my curls more defined than kinky curly custard and the smoothie makes my curls my elongated too. I apply both products the same way but the smoothie is better I think.

As for the milk, I really like it. Its very moisturizing but it doesn't offer the hold, curl elongation and curl defining like the smoothie so I use ecostyler over the hair milk and it works out really nice.

Back