Shea Growth And Retention Regimen 2018

Has Shea Butter 'got you'?

• Let me look over my investment portfolio and see if I have room for shea related stocks.

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • I've got 8 pounds in the house, I need to order me some more because I don't want to run out.

Votes: 29 17.7%
  • 1 Day without sealing my ends is just unthinkable.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • It works for me for now.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • Nah, I can take it or leave it.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • Meh, I'm here for the posts.

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • That stuff just weighs down my hair. No thanks!

Votes: 17 10.4%

• Total voters
Thank you for the tips! My fear is what to do in the summer? It's so hot here! What's your regimen? I haven't read all the way through the thread.
I still wear my wigs in the summer, and it's even better that weaves in that instance, because I can co-wash my hair when I get sweaty, and it's refreshing. I typically wear my wigs swooped to the side, and so the hair stays off my neck. Though when I lived in FL, phony ponies were my BFF, and I would wear my own hair in a bun w/a baggie underneath.
Currently, I shampoo every 1-2 weeks, cowash & deep condition 2x per week. I re-moisturize and seal as needed. I usually have my ends or whole head in a baggie when I'm home. Protein treatment about once a month.

Last edited:
You are so sweet @FadingDelilah

My oldest son is around your age...you could literally be my baby! If you ever need to chat just PM me and it will go right to my email.

In the meantime, my advice would be to have fun! You are in your wonder years!

Educate yourself....a woman with knowledge is an unstoppable force. No one can take it away from you. It's like once you learn something, you can't unlearn it. LOL

And the most important is to love yourself...first! I love my husband and kids, but I love me more...and unapologetic about it. No one can treat me better than I can treat myself, no one can love me like I can love me. I am my best friend!

Like I said, PM if you ever need anything! :2inlove:

I've always loved your font!! True words of wisdom spoken here. Meanwhile, I see you showin out with those buckets of Shea...lemme find out lololol.... Where did you order those from?

@sgold04 -- Congrats to you, sista!!! You made it!! *sings Jay-Z's Mama I Made It .'/'./'./' -- *walks up on stage and places a Cape around your shoulders like they did my man, J. Brown....*

Your hair is absolutely stunning. I just love the style and color.

@Jade Feria -- your shea mixes look absolutely delicious!!! Especially the ayurvedicshea in the middle....

I see I've missed a lot while I was gone.

I tried something a little different. I am always trying to figuure out which products mix well for a braid/twist out and the combo always results in little white flakes after drying. So i decided to use my shea mixture om damp hair with the flax and castor oil eco gel. Below are twists and the results after 2 days of drying.

IMG951248.jpg IMG951244.jpg IMG951246.jpg

Dear Black Jesus,
View attachment 426079
Please keep our sister @tapioca_pudding strong against the temptation that are these luscious golden highlights. :lick: Please help her forget all the compliments, attention, care free attitude and extra confidence that blonde hair bought her over the years. Take the phone away from her hands before she can call her hairstylist for a color touch up. Lead her not into temptation for she can find the way there herself but deliver her from these golden tressed urges. :amen:

1398D800-0CCA-4E58-B070-6F810352DD35_zpswaovpjlx.gif

After having two kids back to back my hair went to the wayside due to stress and neglect. I finally decided to do a big chop last month and have been going through the process of re-learning my hair. I had forgotten that my hair loves shea butter! So I tried using it on my dry hair and wasn’t getting the soft hair that I remembered from before. Then I realized that when I apply it to damp hair (rather than soaking wet or dry), I get maximum moisture retention. So, I’m in on this challenge too!! So excited to see what the year of the shea will bring!! :)

Alight y’all, I’ve been on my Shea butter journey for 3 months now!! So I’m treating y’all to 2 progress shots this month! :lol: Thank you ladies for all you do and all the gold nuggets I’ve acquired through this thread alone. My hair, finances and ovaries are gon be right this year!! :lol: without further ado, here they are: My progress pictures

30 days:
CF0813A9-3F1E-4889-B162-2B63FC5FE1B4.jpeg
3 month progress (day 1 to now):

1F1625A5-DE1B-4B22-9057-CB07E74C50E8.jpeg

Alight y’all, I’ve been on my Shea butter journey for 3 months now!! So I’m treating y’all to 2 progress shots this month! :lol: Thank you ladies for all you do and all the gold nuggets I’ve acquired through this thread alone. My hair, finances and ovaries are gon be right this year!! :lol: without further ado, here they are: My progress pictures

30 days:
View attachment 426195

3 month progress (day 1 to now):
View attachment 426197

Congrats! That's excellent progress.

I just whipped up my second 8oz of Shea butter. This time I used:
Shea butter - majority some creamy ivory hailing from Ghana + softer Nilotica
1tbsp Rice Bran oil
2tsp almond oil
1.5tsp Coconut oil
1tsp Sacha Inchi Seed oil
1tsp Black Castor oil
1tsp Hibiscus powder
1/2tsp Neem powder
Lemon Verbena fragrance oil
Pineapple fragrance oil (a really light hand with these).

Heated over hot water and put in the freezer for 30mins. Then whisked for about 15mins. This mix has a lot more Shea and a lot less oil than my last. It is smooth, much thicker/firmer and melts into my skin. Zero graininess, even with the powders. I've already made use of the excess on my arms, legs and hair.
ETA: almond oil to the list.

My mix was a little firm and I was using too much. Inspired by a post from Elevated Energy, I went back and whipped up the Shea mix that I made not so long ago, this time using my Kitchen Aid mixer. I don't know why I didn't use it before- it's much less work than the electric whisk.

I added more (unmelted) Shea...mmm creamy goodness:look:, boabab oil, 1tsp of ayurvedic oil blend, and about 3 drops of essential oils (1 rosemary and 2 lavender) and beat until it was a cake batter consistency. It's still a Shea-heavy blend but it is much easier to take a small amount now.

I've rubbed this all over my skin but yet to try on my hair as I abandoned wash day in favour of a social and 'continuing DC' session.

Last edited:
Are you noticing some changes in the health of your hair, due to the use of Shea butter?

Definitely! My roots, or rather everything except the ends at this point ( the growth has really picked up) is so much thicker and stronger feeling. my hair feels dense if you get what I mean. Detangling is always sooooo much easier when I use the butters, especially when using shea butter recently I now know what y'all mean by shea slide. my strands were slippin n sliding n smooth all over. My goal is to be more disciplined about using butter and M+S regularly.

I do notice while I get incredible shine (incredible!) there is no hold and shrinkage city. any suggestions for a natural gel to use in combo with shea butter? I was thinking about trying alikay naturals aloe berry gel..
and I need something more moisturizing underneath my butters. they will seal so amazing I feel if I had a more moisturizing leave in or spritz underneath my hair would stay hydrated for days.

So this week I did good. On Sunday my hair was crazy dry and shrunken, tangling fro. while I was lovin the big hair, not so much the dryness. Taking my stylist advice, I did not wash my hair fresh with shampoo but tried dry styling.

melted raw mango butter
spritz hair with chammomile lavender tea
applied the mango butter in its liquid form and two strand twisted
sooooooo shiny!! with the butter my hair detangled easily, the tangles literally melted I didn't even need a comb just my fingers. I do think I need to use something more moisturizing, suggestions?

I wore those twists for 2 days. and then rocked a twist out. thinking about staying in tonight and planning on M+S my hair.

Last edited:
So this week I did good. On Sunday my hair was crazy dry and shrunken, tangling fro. while I was lovin the big hair, not so much the dryness. Taking my stylist advice, I did not wash my hair fresh with shampoo but tried dry styling.

melted raw mango butter
spritz hair with chammomile lavender tea
applied the mango butter in its liquid form and two strand twisted
sooooooo shiny!! with the butter my hair detangled easily, the tangles literally melted I didn't even need a comb just my fingers. I do think I need to use something more moisturizing, suggestions?

I wore those twists for 2 days. and then rocked a twist out. thinking about staying in tonight and planning on M+S my hair.
S-curl is my go-to moisturizer under my Shea butter

I ran out of my Shea mix today. So I whipped up a new batch. I used my white Shea butter from Cleopatras choice and used even less oil to whip it. Only 2 tbsp of evoo and 1.5 tbsp of coconut oil. It yielded a third less product as a result though. But it seems that my butter goes a longer way now so I don’t have to use as much. I guess it evens out? :scratchchin: I don’t know. Oh and I used pina colada fragrance for scent. I’m in love!! I can’t stop smelling it! :lick:

F9B44E62-2DAC-400D-87E3-C6246342D9C1.jpeg

I ran out of my Shea mix today. So I whipped up a new batch. I used my white Shea butter from Cleopatras choice and used even less oil to whip it. Only 2 tbsp of evoo and 1.5 tbsp of coconut oil. It yielded a third less product as a result though. But it seems that my butter goes a longer way now so I don’t have to use as much. I guess it evens out? :scratchchin: I don’t know. Oh and I used pina colada fragrance for scent. I’m in love!! I can’t stop smelling it! :lick:

View attachment 426257

That pina colada is just delightful, I now just order that scent directly from P&J I use it so much!!! I'm making a new batch this weekend as well.

Definitely! My roots, or rather everything except the ends at this point ( the growth has really picked up) is so much thicker and stronger feeling. my hair feels dense if you get what I mean. Detangling is always sooooo much easier when I use the butters, especially when using shea butter recently I now know what y'all mean by shea slide. my strands were slippin n sliding n smooth all over. My goal is to be more disciplined about using butter and M+S regularly.

I do notice while I get incredible shine (incredible!) there is no hold and shrinkage city. any suggestions for a natural gel to use in combo with shea butter? I was thinking about trying alikay naturals aloe berry gel..
and I need something more moisturizing underneath my butters. they will seal so amazing I feel if I had a more moisturizing leave in or spritz underneath my hair would stay hydrated for days.

The Aloe Berry smells nice and that's about it. I wish, but there is no hold with this gel.

The Aloe Berry smells nice and that's about it. I wish, but there is no hold with this gel.

Yes, no: That aloe berry gel was a serious fail for me as well. It might work for you, but I haven't heard one good review of it beyond a nice day-one look that is completely reversed by the next day.

Back