Shea Growth And Retention Regimen 2018

Has Shea Butter 'got you'?

• Let me look over my investment portfolio and see if I have room for shea related stocks.

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • I've got 8 pounds in the house, I need to order me some more because I don't want to run out.

Votes: 29 17.7%
  • 1 Day without sealing my ends is just unthinkable.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • It works for me for now.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • Nah, I can take it or leave it.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • Meh, I'm here for the posts.

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • That stuff just weighs down my hair. No thanks!

Votes: 17 10.4%

• Total voters
@ThatJerseyGirl
Ummm...makin' it or smokin' it?:angeldevil:......:laugh:

makin it lolololol!!!!!! Chiiiiilllleeee.....

i remember a while back, i tried to smoke some loud and chile, lemme tell u.....

i was on da balcony tryna get my life back cuz babeee.....i was lookin up at the stars in heaven, with that one tear that ran real slow from my left eye all the way down my cheek and into my bossom cuz i was tryna call Abraham, Moses, David, Ruth, JESUS and all his disciples n nem ...chile, SOMEBODY up der that would listen cuz i PROMISED them dat i would neva touch dat stuff again. I only had like two puffs....my dumb as.. was like call 911...i think my wig on fire. Something was on fire cuz chile i was hot as hell...i ain't know what da hell was goin on....slept it off and when i woke up...all i wanted was water. I swear i almost slam dunked my head in da toilet cuz i was so damn thirsty. Neva again. Ever.

my friends thought it was funny.....chile....nope.

i remember a while back, i tried to smoke some loud and chile, lemme tell u.....

i was on da balcony tryna get my life back cuz babeee.....i was lookin up at the stars in heaven, with that one tear that ran real slow from my left eye all the way down my cheek and into my bossom cuz i was tryna call Abraham, Moses, David, Ruth, JESUS and all his disciples n nem ...chile, SOMEBODY up der that would listen cuz i PROMISED them dat i would neva touch dat stuff again. I only had like two puffs....my dumb as.. was like call 911...i think my wig on fire. Something was on fire cuz chile i was hot as hell...i ain't know what da hell was goin on....slept it off and when i woke up...all i wanted was water. I swear i almost slam dunked my head in da toilet cuz i was so damn thirsty. Neva again. Ever.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Um..Okay..So..*cough*:drunk:....:spinning:

My Fenugreek Powder arrived today and my MSM Powder came yesterday.

I know I'll make an SB mixture with the Fenugreek Oil & Powder.

Not sure how Imma use the MSM Powder yet? I thought about using some today in my DC'er, but decided not to.

One of my 'Scents' from Bulk-A is: "Monkey Farts" Lawd WHO names a scent - "Monkey Farts"?:laugh:

I don't know if any of you OG's remember Jasmine's Bath & Beauty?

She use to have the scent "Monkey Farts" which is a very Tropical Scent of: Banana, Pineapple and Coconutty-Mango.

I bought that in rememberance of Jasmine's Bath & Beauty - One of my all time Favorite Handmade Natural Vendors. :love:

She also had a scent "Hello Sugar" which I also got from Bulk-A as well.

:lachen::lachen:I just cried.

@IDareT'sHair

My mix is:
4 ounces shea butter
2 ounces mango butter
4 ounces oil.

For my oils, I prefer ceramide rich oils like grape seed, safflower or rice bran oil. So 2 ounces of the oils are usually these. 1 ounce apricot oil and the last ounce rotates between castor oil in the cooler months and coconut oil in the warmer months.

If I want a creamy mixture, I throw it all in my magic bullet:

View attachment 418509

If I want a whipped texture, I use my Bella Immersion Blender's whisk attachment:

View attachment 418511

I don't prefer either texture over the other. They both work well in my hair and on my skin. The best tip I received from @Chicoro was to keep the butter at room temperature and to not melt it before working with it. As long as I do this, I get a perfect blend every time.

Oh and count me in on the challenge.
Oooh I really like the way the creamy mixture looks! More use for the Vitamix! How do the consistencies compare, is one heavier than the other? I also love that you don't melt it. Most of the recipes I see on YT involve melting the shea and I really don't want to do that.

Um..Okay..So..*cough*:drunk:....:spinning:

My Fenugreek Powder arrived today and my MSM Powder came yesterday.

I know I'll make an SB mixture with the Fenugreek Oil & Powder.

Not sure how Imma use the MSM Powder yet? I thought about using some today in my DC'er, but decided not to.

Post #524
I see a lot of people using MSM in their ayurvedic oil blends and shea blends. In the video that @ThatJerseyGirl posted, which is post #524, the lady in the video adds MSM. You could definitely add it to your special nourishing shea blend.

@IDareT'sHair ,
Do you have any vitamin C? I think that is important to use with the MSM.

Oooh I really like the way the creamy mixture looks! More use for the Vitamix! How do the consistencies compare, is one heavier than the other? I also love that you don't melt it. Most of the recipes I see on YT involve melting the shea and I really don't want to do that.

In general, that's what most of us have found, too! The shea butter tends to work better for us when it is not melted.

The only time I've had to melt mine was when after whipping, it's still grainy. I have a shea butter from Senegal and I have to melt it down every time I use it. Melting is not desirable, but it produces great results when trying to eradicate graininess from your final product.

what? i shared too much? oh.....

images

Never! Have you had a chance to use that delicious ayurvedic infused shea butter concoction, yet?

Last edited:
One of my 'Scents' from Bulk-A is: "Monkey Farts" Lawd WHO names a scent - "Monkey Farts"?:laugh:

I don't know if any of you OG's remember Jasmine's Bath & Beauty?

She use to have the scent "Monkey Farts" which is a very Tropical Scent of: Banana, Pineapple and Coconutty-Mango.

I bought that in rememberance of Jasmine's Bath & Beauty - One of my all time Favorite Handmade Natural Vendors. :love:

She also had a scent "Hello Sugar" which I also got from Bulk-A as well.

People outside of the hair care forums think we use 'monkey sweat' on our hair because what we do seems so crazy to them. So, why not complement that with Monkey Farts?! After all, most natural sweat is accompanied by an odor, right? Might as well be congruent.

images

This won't be you! Your Monkey Fart hair will be smelling good!

Last edited:
In general, that's what most of us have found, too! The shea butter tends to work better for us when it is not melted.

The only time I've had to melt mine was when after whipping, it's still grainy. I have a shea butter from Senegal and I have to melt it down every time I use it. Melting is not desirable, but it produces great results when trying to eradicate graininess from your final product.
I am so appreciative of this thread! I always keep SB and it seems like I'm constantly rediscovering it. All roads lead back to shea butter! I used it all throughout pregnancy and now have ZERO stretch marks. The Mane Choice butter has SB as the #1 ingredient and I always keep that product in stock in my stash, yet didn't really register that it was a SB product. The texture of it used to be grainy, but I still liked it. The newer containers that I now have are sooo smooth. I did a quick moisturize & seal using it before my overnight baggy/GHE.

I am so appreciative of this thread! I always keep SB and it seems like I'm constantly rediscovering it. All roads lead back to shea butter! I used it all throughout pregnancy and now have ZERO stretch marks. The Mane Choice butter has SB as the #1 ingredient and I always keep that product in stock in my stash, yet didn't really register that it was a SB product. The texture of it used to be grainy, but I still liked it. The newer containers that I now have are sooo smooth. I did a quick moisturize & seal using it before my overnight baggy/GHE.

That is wonderful! You already have an important history of successes with shea butter. Stretch marks and wrinkles seem inevitable. But your experience disproves that! Interesting to learn that the Mane Choice Butter used to be grainy. I have never used any of Courtney's products, but from what I can see from the ingredients, her products seem top notch! Small cottage industry companies like the Mane Choice, can probably afford to have large amounts of shea butter in their products, but it's not a guarantee. But, for sure it's not likely that a mass produced product will, though.

Pleasant REMINDER About Coconut Oil:
Think you can't use it? Think MCT!

Coconut oil is a very popular oil in many shea mix recipes.
I find that it gives my shea butter mix a gorgeous fluff. But, some people are finding that coconut oil doesn't work for their hair. As it leaves their hair hard, dry, and greasy. Don't worry, you have options.

MCT is FRACTIONATED COCONUT OIL!

MCT Oil vs Coconut Oil:

MCT-Oil-vs-Coconut-Oil.jpg

@Sharpened shared that "MCT (fractionated coconut oil) does not contain lauric acid and, so far, I have had no trouble with it. I had no idea it was drying". @Saludable84 , @lalla and @Nightingale added some great information.

The MCT discussion starts around post #661! (Initiated at post #625 by @Froreal3 's response to an article I posted. )

“MCTs” are medium-chain triglycerides, a form of saturated fatty acid that has numerous health benefits, ranging from improved cognitive function to better weight management. Coconut oil is one great source of MCTs — roughly 62–65 percent of the fatty acids in coconut oil are MCTs — but recently more concentrated “MCT oils” have also been growing in popularity.

https://draxe.com/mct-oil/

There are always options out there!​

MCT-oil-and-liquid-coconut-oil-are-a-scam1.jpg

Last edited:
The MC Butter is my favorite! I love that it is dense, but still smooth. I just can’t stand air in my butters; I end up piling on more to get that heavy feeling.

That's exactly what it is! I don't take medicine, don't smoke, don't drink. You got a headache? I got a herb for that. Back hurts? Got a herb for that. Wanna get tipsy.... :look: Herbs can do anything all this manmade stuff can do....just 1000% better because you are getting it in its raw form.
Hey we'e do you get your herbal information from, I want to read more into it. I've always been really interested.

Did the chebe soften your hair? I'm not clear on how you mixed it in. Did you add it to your hair straight from the jar? When you say "grainy fall" do you mean that it was flaking off your hair?

I bought the Chebe herbs...it's like a powder. You mix it with whatever oil you use. I got into a thick cake batter mixture. I added it after I sprayed my hair with CP tea. I just rubbed it down the length of my hair until it was coated, then went over that with whipped Shea butter. My hair is still extremely moisturized, elongated, it feels like it's wet even though I've been wearing a cotton hair wrap all day. I will say I'm impressed. I will be wearing it pinned up for a week before I take it down and wash it. I want to know what it will feel like then as well as the detangling process...

Lawd I have so many herbs, I can't remember what all I put in there. LOL

View attachment 421097

I'm going through a bit of postpartum shedding which has caused my edges to abandon me, so I've been using lots of herbs targeted for growth and cell renewal. I know for sure that batch had fenugreek seeds, rosemary, rosehips, nettle, horsetail and Burdock root. It's working though. The day after my first time using it, I saw little sprouts of hair coming in.

I see you got some burdock root up there! I like to make a tea with burdock root, dandelion root and red raspberry leaf.

• Burdock root is a blood cleanser.
  • Dandelion root is a diuretic to help remove bloating. Instead of depleting the body of nutrients, it is the only diuretic that adds nutrients to the body.
  • Red raspberry leaf tonifies and 'tightens' the uterus.
(Sacred Woman, by Queen Afua)

I bought the Chebe herbs...it's like a powder. You mix it with whatever oil you use. I got into a thick cake batter mixture. I added it after I sprayed my hair with CP tea. I just rubbed it down the length of my hair until it was coated, then went over that with whipped Shea butter. My hair is still extremely moisturized, elongated, it feels like it's wet even though I've been wearing a cotton hair wrap all day. I will say I'm impressed. I will be wearing it pinned up for a week before I take it down and wash it. I want to know what it will feel like then as well as the detangling process...

Did you take a length measurement before? I've seen people use Chebe and afterwards, I see that they have retained length and the texture of the hair changes, too. They have more shine, thickness and length! Will you be taking photos of your before and after results?

It looks the Shea Alliance will be on its own Shea Butter Train in 2018. They've got conferences scheduled on three (3) continents in 2018!

Shea Alliance Conferences 2018 Schedule Overview:
  1. March 12th and 13th - Abuja, Nigeria (Theme: Going Further Together) - 2 Day Duration
  2. April 16th - Amsterdam, Netherlands (Theme: More Than an Ingredient) - 1 Day Duration
  3. May 14th - Washington, DC (Theme: Next Generation Products) - 1 Day Duration

Hey we'e do you get your herbal information from, I want to read more into it. I've always been really interested.

The library mostly. My 3 year old has a class there twice a week and while he's in class, I'll always grab a book on herbs and read up on them. I usually focus on a few at a time. Lately I've been into flowers. Calendula and roses for the last few months.

I see you got some burdock root up there! I like to make a tea with burdock root, dandelion root and red raspberry leaf.

• Burdock root is a blood cleanser.
  • Dandelion root is a diuretic to help remove bloating. Instead of depleting the body of nutrients, it is the only diuretic that adds nutrients to the body.
  • Red raspberry leaf tonifies and 'tightens' the uterus.
(Sacred Woman, by Queen Afua)

I started drinking this in my last 4 weeks of pregnancy and was able to have a drug free, mostly pain free and quick labor and delivery. It was so quick that I didn't even make it to the hospital. I ended up delivering at home. From the time I felt pain to the time I delivered was less than a hour. I credit this to red raspberry leaf tea.

The creamy one is very heavy and is great for the body. I've been making the whipped one more though lately because it's lighter and lasts longer. Plus it glides on my hair and body so well.

I started drinking this in my last 4 weeks of pregnancy and was able to have a drug free, mostly pain free and quick labor and delivery. It was so quick that I didn't even make it to the hospital. I ended up delivering at home. From the time I felt pain to the time I delivered was less than a hour. I credit this to red raspberry leaf tea.

Yes, I remember reading about your delivery at home in one of your posts in another thread!

What was the impetus for you to drink this the last 4 weeks? It tonifies the uterus and makes that muscle stronger so you have more power to push. I'd think it could help some people circumvent having a prolapsed uterus as well, which can happen as a result of multiple pregnancies.

Have you found that your stomach went flatter faster after this pregnancy in comparison to your other pregnancies? I noticed in your braid up picture you posted up thread that your waist already looks snatched and pulled in.

Last edited:
Back