Share your Craigslist experience

Belle Du Jour

Blosssom's thread in the Off Topic forum got me wondering about CL. It's pretty good for furniture and jobs. :look: Just wondering if anyone had dating success there. If so, was it pretty much the same as any other online dating site? I mean, there are obviously some crazies on there. :rolleyes: If you did meet someone, how long after chatting did you decide to go out? Thanks. :yep:

I haven't used CL but it seems weird to me to find a date on the same site you'd find a computer. Gives off the feel of a meat/meet market.

Thanks Always Wear Joy! That was a great article. I'm crazy enough to try that. :spinning: I'm always having something to go to that no one else is interested in. I go out by myself all the time, but it gets old.

I think it can be hit or miss. I remember reading somewhere here on the board that you should set up an ad yourself and then screen the replies. I set up one just to see what kind of response I'd get and well I didn't respond to any of the emails I got. :look: I did respond to one guys ad and we went on a date after talking online for a few weeks. He's very nice. A little short for my liking but he's a nice guy. We're just friends. I met an ex online a year or so ago. It was really weird how we met though. Almost freaky. We talked for a few months before we met in person. He's a good friend now too because he had some other issues he needed to work on.

I also have a few friends that I became tight with via Myspace/Facebook. We had mutual friends in common and ended up meeting that way. I've only had positive experiences. Even some of my friends became friends with those friends because we would all interact so much online and in the same college circles here in the area. It was like everybody knew somebody in common.

I do have to admit I was very skeptical at first. IDK if I'd do the Craigs List thing again. It just seems real impersonal to me. But I guess it's really no different than the way people used to put Personals ads in newspapers. Even when you meet people out in public in person you're taking a gamble. But with that at least you get to see them first.

ETA: After reading that article Always Wear Joy posted I might check into that strictly platonic section. I never thought about looking in that section.

Last edited:
I think it can be hit or miss. I remember reading somewhere here on the board that you should set up an ad yourself and then screen the replies. I set up one just to see what kind of response I'd get and well I didn't respond to any of the emails I got. :look: I did respond to one guys ad and we went on a date after talking online for a few weeks. He's very nice. A little short for my liking but he's a nice guy. We're just friends. I met an ex online a year or so ago. It was really weird how we met though. Almost freaky. We talked for a few months before we met in person. He's a good friend now too because he had some other issues he needed to work on.

I also have a few friends that I became tight with via Myspace/Facebook. We had mutual friends in common and ended up meeting that way. I've only had positive experiences. Even some of my friends became friends with those friends because we would all interact so much online and in the same college circles here in the area. It was like everybody knew somebody in common.

I do have to admit I was very skeptical at first. IDK if I'd do the Craigs List thing again. It just seems real impersonal to me. But I guess it's really no different than the way people used to put Personals ads in newspapers. Even when you meet people out in public in person you're taking a gamble. But with that at least you get to see them first.

ETA: After reading that article Always Wear Joy posted I might check into that strictly platonic section. I never thought about looking in that section.

Yeah, that sounds promising. CL has too many freaky men on it. :nono: I think I will keep it to the platonic section too.

I met my current bf on Craigslist. I had been wanting to try online dating, and I just responded to a few ads on a whim. We talked for about a month before we went on a date, and then my friends went with me on the date just to make sure he wasn't crazy or anything. But he's really sweet.

Back