“setting To Success” 2016

My cool cap bonnet attachment for my dryer is out for delivery! It wasn't available for prime shipping and the estimated arrival was may 6 - 11. I ordered on the 2 and today is the 5th! Very impressed. I hope it works. Plan to set my hair on Saturday morning.

Can't wait to hear your review because I had been looking at it for a while. If it can cut my drying time by as little as 15 minutes, it will be worth it.

Can't wait to hear your review because I had been looking at it for a while. If it can cut my drying time by as little as 15 minutes, it will be worth it.
That's exactly what I'm thinking. If I can turn up my Pibbs to a higher heat and get out a little faster it will be $20 well spent.

Ladies- any thoughts on a ghd vs fhi flat iron? Folica is having a good sale that ends tonight. Want to pick one up for what will probably be twice a year straightening.

Sedu? Croc? Theorie? Babyliss? Ahhh.

I just want a ceramic/tourmaline iron that is at least 1.5 inches and has adjustable temp.

Never heard of the Theorie but I have a Sedu. It is amazing. It has adjustable temp setting, no snagging of hair on the plates and it gets my course hair smooth and shiny with one pass (using small sections and going slowly over the hair). I highly recommend it.

I was looking at the Babyliss because that is what my old stylist used. It was amazing. Even more awesome than the Sedu but I read somewhere that you have to be extra careful with titanium plates. I believe that they conduct and hold heat better which makes it ideal for courser hair types.

@AgeinATL what temperature do you use? I was thinking I would use 385. It sounds high enough to get my hair straight but not so high that I would be nervous.

I honestly think getting a good flat iron is a lot about your technique. I get impatient and don't use small sections, so I'm going to work on that. I will set my hair first and use smaller rollers since those get my roots straighter to begin with. I'm cautiously optimistic.

@toaster, I ordered the Theorie Quantum too. Excited to use it.

As a heads up to anyone else looking for one, I wouldn't purchase a Sedu from Folica. I've been seeing a lot of complaints about Sedu changing the plates/flat iron design for the worse.

Also, seconding what @AgeinATL said about titanium plates. I've heard it's easier to get heat damage from them so you should use a lower temp than you'd use with a non-titanium iron.

@AgeinATL what temperature do you use? I was thinking I would use 385. It sounds high enough to get my hair straight but not so high that I would be nervous.

I honestly think getting a good flat iron is a lot about your technique. I get impatient and don't use small sections, so I'm going to work on that. I will set my hair first and use smaller rollers since those get my roots straighter to begin with. I'm cautiously optimistic.

I totally agree. It is ALL about technique and I feel that roller setting the hair first makes a world of difference. If I want my hair relaxer straight, I know that I will have to go above 400 degrees. If I want a light press, I would probably do 375. Are you looking for relaxer-straight or a light press?

@toaster I understand. My technique is not that up to par where I can get swang. My mother is a stylist and she's the only person (that I've trusted with my hair so far) that can get my hair laid and flowing in the wind lol.

Unfortunately she lives thousands of miles away so I've been a DIY'er for the past few years. I have the FHI Platform and 2 other flat irons. I really wanted the Sedu.

@toaster I understand. My technique is not that up to par where I can get swang. My mother is a stylist and she's the only person (that I've trusted with my hair so far) that can get my hair laid and flowing in the wind lol.

Unfortunately she lives thousands of miles away so I've been a DIY'er for the past few years. I have the FHI Platform and 2 other flat irons. I really wanted the Sedu.
Oh wow! Lol you really just wanted to complete your collection. That's like how I have a collection of blow dryers and diffusers, which I NEVER use.

Honestly, my flat ironing technique is not there either, but the only way it's going to get there is with practice. If I straighten my hair once every 3/4 months, maybe in a years time I'll be swanging.

Oh wow! Lol you really just wanted to complete your collection. That's like how I have a collection of blow dryers and diffusers, which I NEVER use.

Honestly, my flat ironing technique is not there either, but the only way it's going to get there is with practice. If I straighten my hair once every 3/4 months, maybe in a years time I'll be swanging.

I don't flat iron my hair enough to justify purchasing another one at this time, it's just me being a pj lol. I do however, plan on blow drying my hair more now to help reduce these ssk's.

@toaster I want the Sedu but now I'm reading that it's not the same as the original...so idk now.

@AgeinATL hmmm... I typically blow dry before flat ironing, not roller set but I might attempt to next time if I have enough patience. I only do 370 since I'm only going for stretch and manageability though.

Definitely try roller setting first. Not only does it help minimize the potential for heat damage but it gives the hair more body and bounce. When you are fully natural, it will also help to get your ends a bit smoother.

@AgeinATL @flyygirlll2 I want my hair bone straight, really. I feel that if I'm going to put heat on it, I want it STRAIGHT. Or as straight as my technique and patience will allow.

I get stretch and manageability with roller setting. I'm looking for... swang.

Hmmm...if you have course strands and want bone straight, you may have to turn up the heat and/or do multiple passes.

I would do a test on your coursest section and see what 385 does. If it reverts immediately or isn't to your level of straightness, try another pass or turn the heat up a bit more.

For swang, when pulling the iron through, be sure to flick your wrist a bit for a slight bend so that one you wrap it you'll have more movement.

Back