Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

Lovely sets Ladies!

Here's mine for the week. I steamed, co-cleansed and conditioned with Silk Dreams products. Used my usual leave in: It's a 10 and Carol's Daughter macadamia serum. After the set: I moisturized, finger combed the curls out...followed it up with my paddle brush, then put it in 3 bantu knots to sleep in.

Last edited:
Lovely sets Ladies! Here's mine for the week. I steamed, co-cleansed and conditioned with Silk Dreams products. Used my usual leave in: It's a 10 and Carol's Daughter macadamia serum. After the set: I moisturized, finger combed the curls out...followed it up with my paddle brush, then put it in 3 bantu knots for the night.
love it! So pretty ! I never thought someone could do a bantu knot in place of wrapping the hair. So many people do not approve of wrapping because of over manipulation. But with three bantu knots I can see that helping. You did loose bantu knots and ran your fingers through again lulu97

Lilmama1011 Thanks Lady! I haven't wrapped after doing a set in years. My roots are too thick for that now. When I was fully relaxed, my stylist used to do it at the salon and my hair would be banging!

So I have to find other alternatives. lol I always do 3 bantu knots immediately after the set (let them marinate over night) and this helps to stretch the roots out and give me more of the beach-y type wand looking curls that I like.

Edited to add: the bottom 2 pictures are after me finger combing then using my paddle brush. I like to smooth the hair out before doing the bantu knots. I'll post pictures tomorrow of the results of the bantu knot out. I like to let them set overnight.

Last edited:
I am in!
Current hair length: below bra strap not quite mid back tho

Hair type: Natural

Current setting method & styling choice: pony rollerset, rod set

Current setting products: diluted lotta body sometimes or just a butter

Things would like to work on/hoping to achieve: finally being able to achieve a smooth bouncy roller set

How long do you plan to set: for as long as it takes!

Second day hair. Since the roots are stretched out pretty good from the 3 bantu knots I did last night, I'll only be doing 1 bantu knot for the next couple of nights. I wont wear it down anymore...just do my staple banana clip ponytail or high bun till the next wash.

Last edited:
Second day hair. Since the roots are stretched out pretty good from the 3 bantu knots I did last night, I'll only be doing 1 bantu knot for the next couple of nights. I wont wear it down anymore...just do my staple banana clip ponytail or high bun till the next wash.

so pretty lu!!!

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Did a roller set today. I have not done one in a minute. It turned out OK but I still need a little practice to master the art. I think I will try to do them at least twice a month.

I need to set.... I have been doing braid outs but my sclap needs a scrub before I do I need to figure out how to do some Bantu knots of pin curls

I ordered some rollers today. I got 2 packs of jumbo snap on magnetic rollers. Cant wait to set my hair. Does anyone airdy their sets? Im asking because I dont have a dryer yet :(

I'm under my dryer right now with a roller set with magnetic rollers. I don't have enough rollers to really properly set my hair so ill post my puffy wild results later lol. I'm just gonna bantu knot it and keep it movin'

also Prettymetty, when I do flexirod sets I air dry. I don't see why it would be that different with magnetic rollers. Might take all day though. Try it and keep us posted!

I ordered some rollers today. I got 2 packs of jumbo snap on magnetic rollers. Cant wait to set my hair. Does anyone airdy their sets? Im asking because I dont have a dryer yet :(

Do you have a regular blow dryer. You could leave you rollers in for a long period and blast sections at a time with the your handheld dryer.

If you've got the time

3rd day hair. Banana clip ponytail. My hair will look like this until next wash day probably, so Imma holla at y'all then. lol

Last edited:

Your hair looks great! I'm going to have to try Bantu knots after my next set. How do you secure your knots and where do you place them?

I washed and curlformer set my hair. I'm trying to airdry, but my infant is way too fascinated with the curlformers. Every time I get close he tries to snatch one.

Your hair looks great! I'm going to have to try Bantu knots after my next set. How do you secure your knots and where do you place them?

Thank you! I do 3 knots on the first day to stretch the roots. One in the top/crown area and the other 2 in the back...straight down the middle (one on the left and one on the right) It's kinda hard to explain but I got the idea from a youtuber BabilonKay...it's one of her older videos. I find the placement the easiest to sleep in. I secure them with scrunchies.

After the first night, I'll do 2 (split the hair down the middle and do one on each side)

Or just 1 big bantu knot at the very top kinda like doing a high bun but just knotting instead.

As the days go by, my hair gets bigger and bigger from moisturizing but I find the bantu knots not only keeps my roots stretched but minimizes frizz. Hope this all makes sense.

I will be setting my hair more often this year since I am more interested in recovering from a setback (let my hair program go and lost inches for it).

I just bought some 3rd party Curlformers and also have the regular & French rollers which I will use to work on my technique.

My hair is between SL and APL currently.

I will use Lottabody, Keracare setting foam and a few other products I have lying around.

I believe my hair is TOO thick to rollerset when it's down. Maybe I'll try the method of plaiting it before rolling it up the roller.

What do you mean, when its down?

I mean when it's loose. Freshly wash and all. I'm natural btw. I may just need larger rollers, but I may do the naptural85 technique and section it off to make it a lot easier. She uses the same exact rollers I have and her hair is much like how my hair is as far as type goes.

I see what you mean. I would definitely suggest making sections before setting regardless of the method. I section my hair, which is also unprocessed, and try to viusalize where the rollers will go.

I will be lurking on this one cause I can't seem to get the hang of these flexi-rods. I don't know to get the rod tight enough at the root or to stay tight when I fold it over...I just don't get it.:perplexed

skyslady its all in the bend. Roll your hair in the center of the flexirod and fold/bend each side until you get your desired tightness. The roller should be as close to the scalp as ppossible

@skyslady its all in the bend. Roll your hair in the center of the flexirod and fold/bend each side until you get your desired tightness. The roller should be as close to the scalp as ppossible

Thanks Prettymetty, I'll use that advise and keep practicing. I have gotten a lot of them and just end up fustrated. My next investment will be curlformers though, they don't seem to be that much work.

I have mastered "traditional" roller sets so now I want to grow on and work on the following 5 setting styles:

1) A Silk roller wrap: I will have to flat iron my roots though to get them straight enough to wrap first. I may also have to use larger rollers than I currently use to result in less curl.

2) Flexi rod set

3) Perfect my at home flat iron. (Roller setting first of course. *****Currently working on this one once a month unless I get my monthly press at the salon....started the learning session last month. lol)

4) Curlformer set

5) Wet braid out. I know I would need to sit under a dryer cause I hate air drying and will roll my ends to keep them smooth.

Once I master one, I'll move on to the next....should keep my hair journey/ roller setting life interesting for the next few years! Just want to spice things up a little but *whispers* "I'm still a traditional roller setter FO LIFE!!!" It took me about 10 years to master traditional sets! Let's bow our heads and pray I can master each style in 1 years time each. That's my goal.

Last edited:
Back