Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

Hello all! I'd like to join too.
Current hair length: APL
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Natural
Current Setting method and styling choices: Curlformers- the spiral & barrel ones
Current Setting products: Beautiful Textures Setting Foam / Kinky Curly Curling Custard / Lottabody
Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: My ST goal is BSL (12 in), my year's end goal is MBL (14-16 in).
How often do you plan to set?: I plan to set after every wash, for the whole year. When my sets get frizzy, I plan to do twist-outs until it's time for the next wash (normally I wash 1-2x/week).

Beginning pictures: attached

I have a question- how do you ladies moisturize your sets without making the curls frizzy? I have a problem with that.

Attachments

• photo-3.jpg
    photo-3.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 50
  • photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 56
Hello all! I'd like to join too. Current hair length: APL Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Natural Current Setting method and styling choices: Curlformers- the spiral & barrel ones Current Setting products: Beautiful Textures Setting Foam / Kinky Curly Curling Custard / Lottabody Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: My ST goal is BSL (12 in), my year's end goal is MBL (14-16 in). How often do you plan to set?: I plan to set after every wash, for the whole year. When my sets get frizzy, I plan to do twist-outs until it's time for the next wash (normally I wash 1-2x/week). Beginning pictures: attached I have a question- how do you ladies moisturize your sets without making the curls frizzy? I have a problem with that.

Lightly moisturize and seal and put on my satin bonnet and when I wake up its smoother than before. Is when you over moisturize it frizzes the hair or manipulate the hair without oil that causes frizz

thanks lilmama! what do you use to moisturize and seal?
usually i spritz with water, moisturize with kinky curly knot today leave-in, then seal with avocado oil.

Lightly moisturize and seal and put on my satin bonnet and when I wake up its smoother than before. Is when you over moisturize it frizzes the hair or manipulate the hair without oil that causes frizz

Hello all! I'd like to join too.
Current hair length: APL
Current Setting method and styling choices: Curlformers- the spiral & barrel ones
Current Setting products: Beautiful Textures Setting Foam / Kinky Curly Curling Custard / Lottabody
Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: My ST goal is BSL (12 in), my year's end goal is MBL (14-16 in).
How often do you plan to set?: I plan to set after every wash, for the whole year. When my sets get frizzy, I plan to do twist-outs until it's time for the next wash (normally I wash 1-2x/week).

Beginning pictures: attached

I have a question- how do you ladies moisturize your sets without making the curls frizzy? I have a problem with that.

Welcome! I only mositurize when I am bunning or doing a twist out/braid out style

thanks lilmama! what do you use to moisturize and seal?
usually i spritz with water, moisturize with kinky curly knot today leave-in, then seal with avocado oil.

grape seed oil or sweet almond oil for sealing and komaza shea hair lotion for moisturizing. i just take a little over a dime size, spread over both my hands and scrunch it into my curls and add a little more to my nape and seal with my oil. coilyhaircutie

I just bought the extra wide and extra long curlformers. I'm hoping this will reduce my time "rolling up" my hair. Plus I like the look of the big curls.

Welp my curlformer set did not last throughout the night! Lol I even pineappled...When I removed the scarf my hair was stuck in that position. I shook it out and tried to get it to lay down but a no go. I just bantu knotted my hair up into a whimpy bun!

Welp my curlformer set did not last throughout the night! Lol I even pineappled...When I removed the scarf my hair was stuck in that position. I shook it out and tried to get it to lay down but a no go. I just bantu knotted my hair up into a whimpy bun!

exactly, that's why i never got how some could pineapple, same thing happened to me when i did it once and i had to go to work so i was super mad

KiWiStyle Thanks Lady but I can't take the credit for it. I saw someone with it on on the BGLH blog a few months ago. I just copied and pasted the pic but cropped their face out. lol

KiWiStyle Thanks Lady but I can't take the credit for it. I saw someone with it on on the BGLH blog a few months ago. I just copied and pasted the pic but cropped their face out. lol

LOL, that's hilarious!! I just might have one made for me and DD at a custom t-shirt spot around my hood.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Is it too late to join? I was going to do the braid challenge, but decided tonight that I wanted to do rollersetting for the year. Rollersetting makes me feel a lot more...feminine lol. If it's not too late, I'll join. I'll have the first pic up this weekend.

Is it too late to join? I was going to do the braid challenge, but decided tonight that I wanted to do rollersetting for the year. Rollersetting makes me feel a lot more...feminine lol. If it's not too late, I'll join. I'll have the first pic up this weekend.

Its never to late to join. Answer the questions in the first post and show us your sets! I will be looking forward to it

My sponge curls lasted all day. Last night I just put in 4 big pin curls so this is day 2 of curls :) I love the body I get from the jumbo sponge rollers

I'd like to join! Learning how to rollerset truly saved my hair. I've tried so many things and nothing helps me retain my growth like rollersets. I'll be back later with a picture, but here is my info:

Current hair length: BSL
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Relaxed
Current Setting method and styling choices: Mohawk method with black or grey rollers if I want more body
Current Setting products: 1) Dove nutri-oil detangler; 2) coconut and castor oil; 3) Hawaiian silky 14-in-1 and ORS olive oil serum; 4) Elasta QP leave in conditioner and sealant
Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: moisture and retention
How long do you plan to set?: once a week with maybe one week off per month
Post a beginning picture: will be back!

I'm natural and I want to learn how to do roller sets. I'm hoping to do so and be able to wear my hair in a strait style with no heat damage

I'm natural and I want to learn how to do roller sets. I'm hoping to do so and be able to wear my hair in a strait style with no heat damage
With the right tension you can. It's been done with curl formers and flexi with natural hair, you just have to hold your hair taut

Last edited:
I did my first straight rollerset!!! it was amazing :).

i do the mohawk but split it in nine sections. I had to use the flat iron on my roots though.

I used:
* just for me detangler
* aveda phomolient
*coconut oil on my ends
* water bottle with a dime size of quick curls.

I'm doing thIs weekly so I'm going to post pics next week. rolling at a angle helped so much!!!

Hey all! I think I'm gonna jump on this bandwagon and see where it takes me.

Current hair length: BSB
Current Setting method and styling choices: I think I'm going to either do ponytail sets or the mohawk method with magnetic rollers. Then probably do buns or something.
Current Setting products: I've just recently started setting again so I'm looking into buying the right products for setting natural hair.
Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: Stretching out my curls/smoothing my ends to prevent breakage.
How long do you plan to set?: 1x a week or 1x every other week is the plan
Post a beginning picture: I''ll post a picture the next time I do a set!

few pics..... playing with the settings on my camera.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140103_191441.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140103_191441.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 26
  • ForumRunner_20140103_191455.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140103_191455.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 27
  • ForumRunner_20140103_191513.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140103_191513.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 28
  • ForumRunner_20140103_191600.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140103_191600.jpg