Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

So I've been craving straight hair since I took my senegalese twists out however my regular stylist is STILL on freaking maternity leave and will be until late February. So I took the plunge, borrowed my step daughter's flat iron and did it myself. Surprisingly it went really well being that I haven't straightened my own hair in years! The results were ok..I sho nuff prefer my salon results to this and above else my roller sets to pressed/straight hair anyway. So nope, I'll continue to leave the heat up to my stylist.

I was pincurling as I went so I'll see what it looks like tomorrow. I did a total of 5 pincurls.

Oh I rollerset first then flat ironed letting the pre-sectioned hair from the rollers be my guide. I did 2-3 passes on the roots and 1 on the length.

This was the end result of my roller set/flat iron from last night. After flat ironing, I used a nickel size amount of Carol's Daughter hair balm to tame it some. I'm going to continue to pincurl for a few days until I get sick of wearing it down and will probably bun/ponytail after until I wash again and roller set.

Last edited:
So where do you teach classes, I got some tuition money to study at you feet! Goregous!

Lol, girl. Setting ain't easy. I should put another video on YouTube since I set a bit differently now. It's still takes me 30 minutes to set though so idk how useful I will be.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I'm so happy to be joining this challenge!!! I've got all my roller setting supplies together to get started. My first set will be the curl formers, I love using these the curls turn out so pretty. If everything goes well I will be setting 12/30/13 and every week which is wash day!! I will post a pic.

I'm so happy to be joining this challenge!!! I've got all my roller setting supplies together to get started. My first set will be the curl formers, I love using these the curls turn out so pretty. If everything goes well I will be setting 12/30/13 and every week which is wash day!! I will post a pic.

Welcome!!!!

I set my hair with curlformers last night. Took out this morning. I used KBB hair gel and it actually has a nice hold.

Although I've been setting my hair on sponge rollers and flexirods at night, I've been too lazy to do a real roller or fexirod set lol. Classes are starting Monday, so I will be doing my first real set on Sunday. Hopefully I'll be able to post pics.

Although I've been setting my hair on sponge rollers and flexirods at night, I've been too lazy to do a real roller or fexirod set lol. Classes are starting Monday, so I will be doing my first real set on Sunday. Hopefully I'll be able to post pics.

How are you sponge roller sets going?

I canceled my senegalese twists install appt that was scheduled for next month. I am really enjoying my hair right now. I told her I'd call her back closer to my delivery time in May cause I know I'll def need them in around that time.

Going to continue my normal regimen of steaming and roller setting weekly. I will also continue to get my hair pressed at the salon or flat iron myself at home once a month.

I feel like my roller sets are getting better and better now that I'm writing things down. One thing I noticed is that when I use cleansing conditioners instead of shampoo, my sets are more bouncy and stay moisturized a few days longer. So now I'll only use cleansing conditioners for my roller sets and save the shampoo for my straightening sessions monthly.

I did me and my two older girls hair yesterday. Actually by the time I got finished with there's during the day, I ended up doing mine last night. Anyway I used 1 1/2 packs and me and my second oldest and two packs on my oldest. This time I used ecostyler for hold after applying LI and a butter. My girls hair came out really nice with gr8 hold. Some crunch but not too worried bc maybe the style will last longer. They did however get white flakes in their hair that I don't like. I got hold as we'll but no crunch or white flakes and I used a lot of gel on my hair. I don't get it but ah we'll. I did use a soft brush to smooth the hair b4 I put it through the curlformers and that helped a lot. The hair wasn't trying to curl onto itself in the curlformers and our ends came out wonderful. I didn't separate the hair yet and probably won't. Anyway pics or it never happened right....oh and we all slept in these things!!! I said last time I wouldn't but I needed my hair to set and dry and no time for dryer or too lazy lol either way it did set gr8 but next time I don't care I'm sitting under the dryer. We had morning faces y'all lol...

View attachment 240223

View attachment 240225

View attachment 240227

View attachment 240229

View attachment 240231

View attachment 240235

View attachment 240237

View attachment 240249

View attachment 240247

View attachment 240243

View attachment 240245

View attachment 240241

View attachment 240233

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

I RS my hair yesterday and as usual it's super cute!! I decided to not just put on a hair bonnet this time, I opted to pin curl instead. I hope I have a few decent curls when I unravel them.

Does anyone still use sponge rollers? I just bought a pack of jumbo sponge rollers for loose curls. The rollers are comfy to sleep in, but im afraid they will dry out my hair

Does anyone still use sponge rollers? I just bought a pack of jumbo sponge rollers for loose curls. The rollers are comfy to sleep in, but im afraid they will dry out my hair

I use the sponge rollers on occasion but I buy the ones with the satin covers from the beauty supply.

I want to join!

Current hair length: SL

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Texlaxed

Current Setting method and styling choices: don't have one. So I'm a newbie

Current Setting products: LottaBody mostly. But I may use gel and other products.

Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: I want straight and smooth hair. I'm not concerned with curls because I plan to work out three days a week. I also want to get faster at the whole process.

How long do you plan to set?: I DC my hair weekly; so I plan to roller set while sitting under the dryer.

Post a beginning picture I'll have to come back with a picture

Last edited:
Back