Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

I used the extra wide curlformers Friday. I like the curls, but I have to figure out how to retain the curls for at least two days. But I'm going to flat iron my hair so Ivan clip the ends.

toaster your curls came out great. I'm sorry they frizzed on you. I use LottaBody and only my roots frizz, and that's after I workout. I use 1:3 dilution. How much did you dilute it? I've never tried it undiluted, I'm afraid it might be crunchy, but you'll never know if you don't try.

Last edited:
LONG POST AHEAD :lol:

Current hair length: Probably BSL by now :nono:
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Natural
Current Setting method and styling choices: Rollerset and wrap at a Dominican salon
Current Setting products: Tresemme Heat Tamer and Lacio Lacio
Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: Healthy length + retention/less split ends/SSKs
How long do you plan to set?: Once a month for as long as the style holds
Post a beginning picture: I'll try to have one next month!

I style my hair damp pretty much every day and I think the constant cycle of stretching and shrinking has taken a toll on my hair. I wanted to try something new in 2014 and see how my hair responds to keeping it dry and stretched for about 7-10 days a month.

On Friday, I ventured into a nearby Dominicans salon to get started. I also hadn't had a trim in TWO YEARS (:nono::nono:) so I decided to kill 2 birds with one stone. I ended up losing a lot of length - good news is that my ends look and feel amazing - so I'm REALLY hoping this challenge helps me to retain every inch.

Unfortunately, Mother Nature had other plans. A combination of hairspray, a hat, a hood, and an umbrella couldn't save me from the rain and humidity yesterday. :ohwell: I'm desperately hoping to keep this style in until Friday. Any tips for waterless styling products I can use to keep this looking halfway decent. I'm resisting the urge to just wash my hair and give up. :sad:

GettingKinky I used 2 parts water to 1 part LottaBody and my hair was very soft, no crunch at all. I almost feel like I need a little crunch to ensure that my curls stay, especially because I use a moisturizing leave in underneath. When I try again on Tuesday I might use the Curls Control Past on my length, over the setting lotion, to see if I get a little more hold.

GettingKinky I used 2 parts water to 1 part LottaBody and my hair was very soft, no crunch at all. I almost feel like I need a little crunch to ensure that my curls stay, especially because I use a moisturizing leave in underneath. When I try again on Tuesday I might use the Curls Control Past on my length, over the setting lotion, to see if I get a little more hold.

Can you let us know how the Curls Control works? I've tried rollersetting 1) one of my Italian Yaki wigs and 2) a friends extensions, and neither could hold our curls. The IY is notorious for following curls, but I can make it work with hair spray and a high heat seating flat iron, BUT I love look of a rollerset over a flat iron. My IY curls fell even with 2 parts lotta body and 1 part water. I really want my pretty rollerset curls to hold beyond my garage. :) TIA!

I haven't done my January roller set yet. I'm going to try and do it this Saturday. I love the result but it's so much time/work/effort. If I weren't in this challenge I'm pretty sure I wouldn't do it.

My hat's off to you ladies who do this every week.

GettingKinky I feel you! Girl, my hair is getting so long and roller setting is tiresome. But just like you, I LOVE the results!

I'm starting to take a mandatory week off every month to let my hair and arms rest. I do 2 goddess braids after cleansing and just leave my hair alone for the week...then pick back up the next week.

GettingKinky I feel you! Girl, my hair is getting so long and roller setting is tiresome. But just like you, I LOVE the results!

I'm starting to take a mandatory week off every month to let my hair and arms rest. I do 2 goddess braids after cleansing and just leave my hair alone for the week...then pick back up the next week.

You're the inverse of me. I'll be happy if I manage to set one week a month. Maybe on day I'll be like you, but weekend time is precious and roller setting takes up at least 3 hours of my day.

I was watching the Muppets movie with my little sister last night, and let me tell you, Miss Piggy's curlformer set was laid. I wonder what she uses as her setting lotion...

:grin:

Attachments

• miss-piggy1.jpg
    miss-piggy1.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 54
Im thinking about doing a pineapple roller set tonight so I can wear a messy bun all week. I need to buy a satin scarf today from the bss. I lost my old one...

Ladies I have a question..

Do you guys use a hair net over your rollerset?

And if you do.. do you tie it went towards the back or the front?

All rolled up and under the dryer. I have been doing curl former sets for a while, so it feels good to be back in regular rollers. It was a rush job, so not the best spacing, but it will be good to see my hair clean and stretched again!

I am still on the fence about curlformers. After day 3 my hair looks a week old. I got to figure that out!

i did a flexi rod set, i might take a pic i was suppose to do six flexi rods and run my hand through but i got a more permanent curl instead

32 extra wide and extra long curlformers barely fits in my Pibbs dryer. I'm furious!!! I was so excited about this dryer, and I'm hoping my hair is dry in 45 minutes, but I'm not even sure the ends are being dried. Ugh. I should have thought about this, but I didn't think the curlformers were that big.

I'll let you all know how it turns out/ if it dries.

$300...

Rollers are out
ForumRunner_20140114_213036.jpg

Rollers smoothed

ForumRunner_20140114_213007.jpg

ForumRunner_20140114_213019.jpg

Ignore those curlformers. Rollers wouldn't dry so I threw those in to help stretched.

My roots need better detangling, but more time will do that

Last edited:
32 extra wide and extra long curlformers barely fits in my Pibbs dryer. I'm furious!!! I was so excited about this dryer, and I'm hoping my hair is dry in 45 minutes, but I'm not even sure the ends are being dried. Ugh. I should have thought about this, but I didn't think the curlformers were that big.

I'll let you all know how it turns out/ if it dries.

$300...

I'm sure it is going to be great! The air circulation through the mesh will dry your ends fine!

My hair turned out okay! Using the curls control paste worked pretty well. I didn't use a lot so the curls have pretty much fallen, but my hair is straight. I'm mostly stretching for buns so I'm not bothered.

Attachments

• image-1317910204.jpg
    image-1317910204.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 62
  • image-2801470818.jpg
    image-2801470818.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 58
  • image-846988482.jpg
    image-846988482.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 57
  • image-1698222425.jpg
    image-1698222425.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 63
Progression of my roller sets from July 2013 to Dec 2013. I've always roller set my hair here and there but never consistently until in between this time. In the past, I would do them every few months and just go to the salon in between. Late July, I decided to challenge myself and incorporate roller setting more and I'm so glad I did. My hair has more bounce, has thickened up quite nicely and is so much healthier. I know for a fact that roller setting saved my hair. It keeps it smooth, tangle free and I feel like
the curls keep my ends protected.
So excited to see how my hair continues to progress for 2014 since I've added a few more challenges/goals for the year.
Don't mind me...I'm just reflecting! lol

Also to add, in the first picture my hair was pinned up in the back. This is normally what I do in the summer when it's toooo hot to wear down. Didn't want anyone to think my hair grew that much in 5 months!

Last edited:
Well my hair has about 85% reverted, but I'm still not touching water to it until Friday. Lesson now learned is to make sure that I save my monthly rollerset/wrap for a week where there's no precipitation and low humidity in the forecast. :nono:

Back