Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

Thought y'all ladles could appreciate. My husband fell out laughing when he came home and found my 1 year old getting prepped for parents night. She was so content

I used Nairobi wrap foam. On already moisturized hair. Washed-conditioned it yesterday and today rewet with water :)

Aw so cute.

All rolled up and just got under the hot box dryer.

Got all the essentials.
Snacks: buttery salty popcorn and cold large sweet tea.
No shirt on and a fan blowing directly in my face. Hubby keeps walking through the room whistling. lol

I'll post results in a few days as I wont separate the curls until I'm ready to wear it out. I'll just use the pineapple method until then. Anybody setting this weekend?

Last edited:
Thought y'all ladles could appreciate. My husband fell out laughing when he came home and found my 1 year old getting prepped for parents night. She was so content I used Nairobi wrap foam. On already moisturized hair. Washed-conditioned it yesterday and today rewet with water :)

Awww look at your big girl with her rollers!!! She's too adorable.

All rolled up and just got under the hot box dryer.

Got all the essentials.
Snacks: buttery salty popcorn and cold large sweet tea.
No shirt on and a fan blowing directly in my face. Hubby keeps walking through the room whistling. lol

I'll post results in a few days as I wont separate the curls until I'm ready to wear it out. I'll just use the pineapple method until then. Anybody setting this weekend?

I will do a ponytail rollerset lulu97

winona How do you like the Nairobi wrap foam? Does it have nice hold but leaves the hair soft? I don't like captain crunch hair. lol Where did you purchase from?

I like the wrap it didn't give much hold at all but that could have been do to her deep moisture routine. I layer leave in and butter generously after washing and conditioning then put her hair in 2 French braids to dry. Once dry I spray with aloe mix and lather another light coating of leave in and butter. I literally don't have to moisturize for an entire week. I'm going to try it on my hair this week and will give an update.

I got it at a bss when visiting family in nc

The proclaim mousse was okay, just that. Okay. Being that I'm trying to be a frugal college student I wanted to try something cheaper than my trusted Nairobi. I might try a few more before I just decide to stick with what's efficient. Suggestions for BSS setting foams and mousses ladies?

^^^^^Yeah I've been hearing so many good things about the Nairobi. I texted my stylist for suggestions and she suggested Nairobi & Keracare. So I'm going to buy those 2 next. My sister uses one by BB and IC Fantasia so since they are cheap I'll also try those. I have one by Carol's Daughter as well as Giovanni. Excited to buy everything!!! I haven't tried the Giovanni yet but the CD is really good. Man, I'll probably have 5 foam wraps in rotation by the time all this is over. lol

^^^^^Yeah I've been hearing so many good things about the Nairobi. I texted my stylist for suggestions and she suggested Nairobi & Keracare. So I'm going to buy those 2 next. My sister uses one by BB and IC Fantasia so since they are cheap I'll also try those. I have one by Carol's Daughter as well as Giovanni. Excited to buy everything!!! I haven't tried the Giovanni yet but the CD is really good. Man, I'll probably have 5 foam wraps in rotation by the time all this is over. lol

I heard about the keracare and Nairobi, that they are good. The carols daughter made my hair a nightmare; it might have been the glycerin. I haven't used IC in a long time but it never failed me in the past. I'll probably just order the Nairobi online since I don't feel like walking to the BSS right now.

I used to use keracare and motions regularly. I just bought Nubian Heritage to try because I heard good things.

I hated Jane Carter's

I heard about the keracare and Nairobi, that they are good. The carols daughter made my hair a nightmare; it might have been the glycerin. I haven't used IC in a long time but it never failed me in the past. I'll probably just order the Nairobi online since I don't feel like walking to the BSS right now.
I had every intention on going to a beauty supply store that sales salon brands not too far from my house to see if they have that Nairobi foam but laziness set in by the time I was done grocery shopping. I know I've seen Keracare and IC Fantasia there before.

Last edited:
I used to use keracare and motions regularly. I just bought Nubian Heritage to try because I heard good things. I hated Jane Carter's

uofmpanther I'm noticing a lot of people not liking the Jane Carter. How's the Nubian Heritage?

I'm not too picky when it comes to ingredients but I want to stay away from any foams with alcohol and preferably protein too high up on the ingredient list.

Setting my hair in twists over the weekend and wearing a twist out bun has been so easy while I've been busy. My hair is still stretched, doesn't shrink up on itself, and is super easy to detangle the next week.

I know I'll go back to rollers eventually, but maybe I'll wait until the Fall. Really both ways achieve the goals I'm looking for.

Not exactly in any length challenges, so I'mma update this in here so I can come back and look at it later :)

I measured my bangs/crown layers to see how much my hair has grown this past year as well as how many inches I have left of highlights. The end of July will be a year since I had my last color touchup so I'm 1 month shy of tracking the full year's growth. Close enough lol

Bangs: grew 6.5 inches. 6.2 inches of color. Total length 12.7
Top crown: grew 7 inches. 8.5 inches of color. Total length 15.5 inches
Back crown: grew 7.3 inches. 9.2 inches of color. Total length 16.5

I think the growth boost was probably due to pregnancy but I'm curious to track it again for a full year just to see. So I'm going on a personal 1 year hair, body, baby wellness challenge to monitor my hair growth and to snap my body back to pre pregnancy status. I'll be 6 weeks postpartum on July 6th so I'll start then.

The ribbons are how long my highlights are. I had dreams of trimming all the color to go jet black but after looking at how long these ribbons are, I changed my mind like lightning fast. The colored areas are still in good health, ends A-ok and not splitting so to trim it off would be cray cray to me. I have decided instead to dust that area as needed and double the total length, so the layers can fall past my shoulders, arm pits, then mid-back respectively.

Last edited:
lulu97

Thank you for the ribbon idea! I'm going to try that the next time I measure. My cloth measuring tape is missing and the metal thing got caught in my hair from the household one :nono:

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

Dc has been rinsed out and I am under the dryer. My last few sets haven't been that's great, but I feel confident this one is better. I was much more careful

Rollers are out and flexi rods are in.

I plan to do an update next week ala lulu97. I am also not in a lengeth challenege, but have seen my hair really change with consistent rollersetting.

I will also do a roll call as cone next week we will be half through the challenge! I am so shocked...time is flying

Ignore that oil that makes me look so shiny. By moring I swear it turns into dew not the greasy mess it appears to be

ForumRunner_20140622_222213.jpg

ForumRunner_20140622_222059.jpg

ForumRunner_20140622_222112.jpg

Saturday night I steamed with Coconut oil and joico moisture balm. Then I washed my hair with Kerastase Bain De Force and then I steamed again with Keracare Humecto.
I applied my leave ins which consisted of It's A 10, Jane Carter Revitalizing Leave in, Lacio Lacio and Kerastase Oleo Relax Serum. I also used Jane Carter's Wrap Lotion. My hair came out really soft.

Pictures did not do my hair justice so I didn't add them. Maybe next time.

Update the Nairobi foam performed well on its own. I set my hair with phyto ends serum, very light leave in and the Nairobi setting foam. I got touchable soft hold. I normally just do sets to reduce SSKs and splits though so this will be good for when I actually want to wear my curls

Update the Nairobi foam performed well on its own. I set my hair with phyto ends serum, very light leave in and the Nairobi setting foam. I got touchable soft hold. I normally just do sets to reduce SSKs and splits though so this will be good for when I actually want to wear my curls

Thanks for the review! I may try to get my hands on some come fall when I plan to wear my curls. Right now it is a bit too hot

I really want to join this challenge but I am very new to setting. I have 3c fine hair that loves protein. I have no idea where to start product wise. I have tried lotta body (blue one) but no success. I have roller set twice in my life and my routine was to wash , condition, deep condition, rinse then apply creamy leave in, seal strand with hemp seed oil and aloe mixture, then set with either diluted lottabody or eco styler. Each time it was a hot, crunchy, oily, mess. Does anyone have any product / technique suggestions? Thanks so much!

Im going to do a twist out with sponge rollers on the ends. Next week I plan to set my hair with magnetic rollers, but I have so many questions. I have tangly hair. Chi silk infusion gives me slip while setting, but im wondering if I can use evoo before I set also?

^^^ I think it depends on your hair porsosity level. I cant use oil heavily when I set because my hair won't dry. I can use a touch of grape seed oil if I need it, but I normally restrict oils to the DC/pre poo phase

Back