Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

I really want to join this challenge but I am very new to setting. I have 3c fine hair that loves protein. I have no idea where to start product wise. I have tried lotta body (blue one) but no success. I have roller set twice in my life and my routine was to wash , condition, deep condition, rinse then apply creamy leave in, seal strand with hemp seed oil and aloe mixture, then set with either diluted lottabody or eco styler. Each time it was a hot, crunchy, oily, mess. Does anyone have any product / technique suggestions? Thanks so much!

When using lotta body the dilution is really important to avoid crunch. You may want to be careful before you get to that stage.

Sealing on wet hair may make your hair stringy because there is just so much product weight. Eco styler gave me some flakes because it just wouldn't absorb. When i first started setting i just used water until I learned my hair and then I started adding products. I realized I was inviting needs. My hair did need all that oil, it didn't need a cone heavy serum, it didn't need a million steps. My hair needed products it could drink in thin layers so it could drink quickly and to be sealed during the week.

good luck!

When using lotta body the dilution is really important to avoid crunch. You may want to be careful before you get to that stage.

Sealing on wet hair may make your hair stringy because there is just so much product weight. Eco styler gave me some flakes because it just wouldn't absorb. When i first started setting i just used water until I learned my hair and then I started adding products. I realized I was inviting needs. My hair did need all that oil, it didn't need a cone heavy serum, it didn't need a million steps. My hair needed products it could drink in thin layers so it could drink quickly and to be sealed during the week.

good luck!

OMG! Thank you for responding! I think I may be inviting needs as well. I have used SM Yucca and baobab leave in for years now because it never fails me in the moisture department. I love that stuff it is my grail. I use diluted hemp seed oil to seal because my hair really seems to like it.Of course this is my normal routine for braid outs. I let my hair dry for a day and then take it down. It is a bit oily but my hair stays super moist. I don't know how this all translates over to roller setting though. I am not sure what to do or how to change my routine to get a better set. Can you advise some products and a starting point of possible changes for better results. I am tossing the Lottabody. It has never really worked for me and I don't really like or feel I know how to use it. I am terrified of not sealing and using my favorite leave in. I am afraid heat will dry my hair out without them. I have heard of some people just setting on naked hair with a setting foam but like I said, that scares me. Please help if you can.

OMG! Thank you for responding! I think I may be inviting needs as well. I have used SM Yucca and baobab leave in for years now because it never fails me in the moisture department. I love that stuff it is my grail. I use diluted hemp seed oil to seal because my hair really seems to like it.Of course this is my normal routine for braid outs. I let my hair dry for a day and then take it down. It is a bit oily but my hair stays super moist. I don't know how this all translates over to roller setting though. I am not sure what to do or how to change my routine to get a better set. Can you advise some products and a starting point of possible changes for better results. I am tossing the Lottabody. It has never really worked for me and I don't really like or feel I know how to use it. I am terrified of not sealing and using my favorite leave in. I am afraid heat will dry my hair out without them. I have heard of some people just setting on naked hair with a setting foam but like I said, that scares me. Please help if you can.

I say stick with your favorite products but adjust your amounts. Indirect heat allows your hair to almost steam in products, so you would be using less than if you were air drying.

Add water to your leave in if it is thick and just add one thin layer. I would save the oil sealing on dry hair or put some on my hands to finger comb the curls.

Indirect heat helps my products penetrate as opposed to drying my hair out

I say stick with your favorite products but adjust your amounts. Indirect heat allows your hair to almost steam in products, so you would be using less than if you were air drying. Add water to your leave in if it is thick and just add one thin layer. I would save the oil sealing on dry hair or put some on my hands to finger comb the curls. Indirect heat helps my products penetrate as opposed to drying my hair out

Thank you thank you! So after washing and deep conditioning. You suggest lightly applying my leave in using a setting products and rolling. Right? Did I get it all? What product would you suggest to me for setting the hair?

I really want to join this challenge but I am very new to setting. I have 3c fine hair that loves protein. I have no idea where to start product wise. I have tried lotta body (blue one) but no success. I have roller set twice in my life and my routine was to wash , condition, deep condition, rinse then apply creamy leave in, seal strand with hemp seed oil and aloe mixture, then set with either diluted lottabody or eco styler. Each time it was a hot, crunchy, oily, mess. Does anyone have any product / technique suggestions? Thanks so much!

curlytwirly06

My suggestion would be to keep your wash process the same but trim down everything thereafter. Maybe ditch everything but the creamy leave in..and just use a water bottle to set. Especially ditch the eco styler.

When it comes to roller setting and products, my rule of thumb is to use a heavy hand before washing and a light hand after washing. The washing/conditioning process is where most of your moisture will come from to sustain the set until the next wash day and the setting process is just to tame and mold the hair.

Your first few times will not be perfect but the more you do it the better you will get. Focus on technique now and products later.

Im going to do a twist out with sponge rollers on the ends. Next week I plan to set my hair with magnetic rollers, but I have so many questions. I have tangly hair. Chi silk infusion gives me slip while setting, but im wondering if I can use evoo before I set also?

Prettymetty I would do one or the other but not both. Maybe try the Chi this set and the olive oil on your next set. That way you can tell how they work alone and if you should combine them...they just seem like they would serve the same purpose.

Does the SM leave in provide you slip while your hair is wet? If so then def stick with it since your hair responds well to it. Slip is very important in helping you get your hair to lie smooth and flat on the roller. You can also leave no product in your hair after washing, put your leave-in in a water bottle diluted really well with water and only use that to set, then spray each section well before adding it to the roller. If it makes you feel better, you can even add a few drops of your hemp oil to the mixture. HTH

Does the SM leave in provide you slip while your hair is wet? If so then def stick with it since your hair responds well to it. Slip is very important in helping you get your hair to lie smooth and flat on the roller. You can also leave no product in your hair after washing, put your leave-in in a water bottle diluted really well with water and only use that to set, then spray each section well before adding it to the roller. If it makes you feel better, you can even add a few drops of your hemp oil to the mixture. HTH

Your wonderful. Thank you.

My hair is one week old today and the frizz monster is starting to visit...especially towards my roots. Gonna be a busy weekend full of festivities with the family, so I was thinking of turning this into a nice french braid but decided against it since I'm really enjoying the curls. I'll just rock my staple banana clip pony until wash day next week.

Last edited:
This is a hard thing to admit....Giovanni Direct leave in gives me more slip and moisture than my beloved It's a 10. However, together they are like magic!!! I haven't used a comb in over a month because of them and my flexi sets are still smooth as ever. Unfortunately, I don't need 2 leave in's and the Giovanni is def in the lead...plus it defines my curls. I am slowly falling in love with all things Giovanni.

I pretty much liked the flexi rods as it is easier to apply them, but not less time IMO then rollers. I used my beloved Inphenom spray with Dominican Magic Thermal Heat Protectant which has cones and amino acids, but it liquid and comes in a spray bottle. My curls are really soft. Next time, I will use smaller rods in the crown area versus regular sized ones. They haven't fell yet either.

I'm scared I might become addicted to this.

I pretty much liked the flexi rods as it is easier to apply them, but not less time IMO then rollers. I used my beloved Inphenom spray with Dominican Magic Thermal Heat Protectant which has cones and amino acids, but it liquid and comes in a spray bottle. My curls are really soft. Next time, I will use smaller rods in the crown area versus regular sized ones. They haven't fell yet either. I'm scared I might become addicted to this.

Your results are beautiful! Saludable84 Yes flexi rod sets are addictive. They get my roots so much straighter than traditional sets too. I'm in love with flexi's. I'll reserve my traditional sets for when I want to show more length.

Your results are beautiful! Saludable84 Yes flexi rod sets are addictive. They get my roots so much straighter than traditional sets too. I'm in love with flexi's. I'll reserve my traditional sets for when I want to show more length.

I'm interested in seeing how long they last first. But I wouldn't mind doing it weekly.

Better late than never! I've been getting some great tips from this thread :)
>Current hair length: I have a v cut. Shorter layers are SL. Longer layers are APL. >Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: relaxed >Current Setting method and styling choices: Mohawk w/ magnetic rollers. Occasional curlformers.
>Current Setting products:
Leave-ins: Fermodyl 619, Darcy's sweet cocoa bean cream
Serum: chi silk infusion
Foam: Jane carter Wrap and Roll
I use a leave-in then either serum or foam depending on the hold I want.
>Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: Less direct heat use. Healthy ends. Increased time between trims. Quicker setting time. I've noticed less dryness and tangling since roller setting weekly.
>How long do you plan to set?: as long as possible
Post a beginning picture: image-2075182331.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome aboard alove15!

Iook forward to seeing your sets. I use Darcy's daily leave in for my sets and love it. It is just thin enough while being just thick enough. How do you like using the sweet cocoa cream?

Welcome aboard alove15!

Iook forward to seeing your sets. I use Darcy's daily leave in for my sets and love it. It is just thin enough while being just thick enough. How do you like using the sweet cocoa cream?

Thanks for the welcome! I find it really moisturizing and as long as I'm light handed it doesn't weigh me down. It could do with a bit more slip though so I probably won't be repurchasing after I use it up.

Better late than never! I've been getting some great tips from this thread :) >Current hair length: I have a v cut. Shorter layers are SL. Longer layers are APL. >Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: relaxed >Current Setting method and styling choices: Mohawk w/ magnetic rollers. Occasional curlformers. >Current Setting products: Leave-ins: Fermodyl 619, Darcy's sweet cocoa bean cream Serum: chi silk infusion Foam: Jane carter Wrap and Roll I use a leave-in then either serum or foam depending on the hold I want. >Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: Less direct heat use. Healthy ends. Increased time between trims. Quicker setting time. I've noticed less dryness and tangling since roller setting weekly. >How long do you plan to set?: as long as possible Post a beginning picture:

Welcome Lady! I look forward to your future sets and picking up tips from you as well.

[USER said:
lulu97;20266803[/USER]]This is a hard thing to admit....Giovanni Direct leave in gives me more slip and moisture than my beloved It's a 10. However, together they are like magic!!! I haven't used a comb in over a month because of them and my flexi sets are still smooth as ever. Unfortunately, I don't need 2 leave in's and the Giovanni is def in the lead...plus it defines my curls. I am slowly falling in love with all things Giovanni.

I don't understand. If they are magic together, then why not keep them both?

I don't understand. If they are magic together, then why not keep them both?

I just don't see the need to have 2 leave in's when one works better than the other...seems wasteful to me. i guess you can tell I'm soooo not a product junkie. lol I'll continue to use both until the It's a 10 is done and I prob wont repurchase

Having a bad hair day. My hair is big, undefined and disrespectful. Soon as I get home, this junk is going in a bun for the rest of the week. We went to the beach over the weekend and even though I didn't get in the water, my hair looks like it did.

Last edited:
I just don't see the need to have 2 leave in's when one works better than the other...seems wasteful to me. i guess you can tell I'm soooo not a product junkie. lol I'll continue to use both until the It's a 10 is done and I prob wont repurchase

Ok. I thought you were saying they worked better when they are used together versus separately. In that scenario I could see keeping both.

Took my rollers out after about 45 mind to blow dry.

ForumRunner_20140630_140354.jpg

I then lightly flat ironed and slept in flexi rods. Blowdrying forced me to derangle thoroughly, which was good since I never use combs. But I don't have the heart for flat ironing

ForumRunner_20140630_140405.jpg

ForumRunner_20140630_140417.jpg

ForumRunner_20140630_140429.jpg

Took my rollers out after about 45 mind to blow dry. I then lightly flat ironed and slept in flexi rods. Blowdrying forced me to derangle thoroughly, which was good since I never use combs. But I don't have the heart for flat ironing

I like the smoothness.

At least with rollersetting, you would flatiron with super high heat.

Back