Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

I dont have much experience with foam as I could never get just the right amount. But I know I don't like the jane Carter foam, but had fewer issues with the Nubian Heritage foam.

Thanks! I thinks it's time for me to try the Nubian Heritage. Jack Carter's didn't work for me

Setting today for the first time in 10 days. I am going to get back on my weekly schedule because my hair was ick this go round.

The DC I used was no good either, so I don't have high hopes for this set, but my hair is clean and hopefully my leave in will get my thru the week with moisture

Last edited:
I plan on getting back in this challenge soon. I'm in love with my new flatiron a little TOO much lol. As soon as I purchase a good leave in and Keracare foam. I tried the Nairobi but hated it, my hopes were so high for that one.

I got the CWK plates! So excited. I hope that Kelechi makes longer plates soon though. The long plates are only 10 inches long, which is pretty short IMO. My hair is about 10-12 inches long, scraping BSL. I plan to double-up on plates to get my ends. Unless she makes longer plates in the future, she may lose out on naturals with longer hair.

toaster re edge control- I usually embrace the frizzy, curly look :) On days I need a more slick look, I'll first *lightly* oil my edges with vatika frosting. Then, I smooth a little kinky curly gel over that, and brush my edges with a toothbrush. I tie it down with a scarf, and I get dressed, eat or whatever, then take it off before I get to work.

also, ladies i am hooked on naptural85's flexirod set! I love it. I've done it nearly every night for the past 2 weeks. I like the look more than my fresh curlformer sets. The curl pattern looks more realistic and it "bounces" more instead of "flowing" like my curlformer curls (hard to describe). when I do her flexirod set, it looks like the curls are my own, if that makes sense- it doesn't look like I did a rollerset.

I don't preserve my curls the way she does though. I don't like how stretched out and ragged my curls look preserving it the way naptural85 does. instead, I'll usually put 4 or 5 flexirods in the front of my head so it looks fresh, then I leave the middle and the back of my hair as is -- no wrapping, no pincurling, no nothing. I put a satin bonnet on and go to bed!

I got the CWK plates! So excited. I hope that Kelechi makes longer plates soon though. The long plates are only 10 inches long, which is pretty short IMO. My hair is about 10-12 inches long, scraping BSL. I plan to double-up on plates to get my ends. Unless she makes longer plates in the future, she may lose out on naturals with longer hair.

toaster re edge control- I usually embrace the frizzy, curly look :) On days I need a more slick look, I'll first *lightly* oil my edges with vatika frosting. Then, I smooth a little kinky curly gel over that, and brush my edges with a toothbrush. I tie it down with a scarf, and I get dressed, eat or whatever, then take it off before I get to work.

also, ladies i am hooked on naptural85's flexirod set! I love it. I've done it nearly every night for the past 2 weeks. I like the look more than my fresh curlformer sets. The curl pattern looks more realistic and it "bounces" more instead of "flowing" like my curlformer curls (hard to describe). when I do her flexirod set, it looks like the curls are my own, if that makes sense- it doesn't look like I did a rollerset.

I don't preserve my curls the way she does though. I don't like how stretched out and ragged my curls look preserving it the way naptural85 does. instead, I'll usually put 4 or 5 flexirods in the front of my head so it looks fresh, then I leave the middle and the back of my hair as is -- no wrapping, no pincurling, no nothing. I put a satin bonnet on and go to bed!

Are the plates being sent out already?

HairPleezeGrow nah, not yet- they'll be sent out in august. she reached her goal of $8,000, which is amazing, and now she can start production. i'll be sure to use them and post pictures as soon as i do! super stoked :D

GettingKinky aw thanks! i can't wait to see and share my results too! lol. and i feel you on rocking a style that you love. i'm telling you, naptural85's flexirod set is my go-to staple nowaways. i love it. i'm even considering skipping wash day tomorrow and waiting til next weekend just so i can do her flexirod set all week long to work. i think my favorite thing about the style is that it's predictable- it always comes out looking the way i want it to

I was supposed to set today but I did a wash and go instead. It's super cute I think. I finally used Knot Today and Kinky Curly Curling Custard as a set. I remember when I was transitioning in 2008-2010 I couldn't WAIT to use those products, but by the time I was totally natural I had a million other products to try. 4 years later I find they actually are quite awesome. Who knew.

Thanks for posting. That is what I was expecting. I would think the texture would come out the same as if you did a curlformer set but without all the hassle and the curls. It's the same principle.

Same here. Looks like a combed out set. I need to see a ful head completed

Why have I never tried ponytail rollersetting before? It's so much freaking easier! Especially since I'm not that many weeks post relaxer and just prefer a "bump"at the ends of my hair.

Oh, and I didn't care for the antisnap because it made my hair dull. There was no broken hair during the comb out, but I hate dull hair lol

Last edited:
Used flexi rods to help give my ponytail some life. After my previous set I combed my hair in small sections and trimmed. After I pulled it up moisturized my news ends and set them on flexi rods. My bangs hate to be pulled back so I twisted them while the flexi rods sets and layer unraveled and pinned then back
ForumRunner_20140603_171541.jpg

ForumRunner_20140603_171553.jpg

ForumRunner_20140603_171613.jpg

ForumRunner_20140603_171628.jpg

Took my braids down a few days ago and decided to rock my hair in it's curly state. Why oh why did I do that? My hair looks ok but feels dry and rough...so not the smooth hair I get from setting and with shrinkage it's like half of its true length. Needless to say, next wash I'll be back to setting....which will be sooner rather than later! I know if I were to rock my natural curls on a regular basis that I would retain 0 length....the constant touching, washing, pulling, moisturizing etc to get it to act right is so counterproductive.

lulu97 I will look forward to your sets! How is the new addition?

Blairx0 He's amazing and I'm sooooo in love with him! I'm learning to adjust everything around his schedule....but I do it gladly.

He sleeps with his face pressed against his bassinet. Thank God it has mesh sides so he can breathe. lol

Last edited:
just finished doing a curlformer set. guess what- a few sections of my hair are poking out the curlformers! I used the 14 inch extra long spiral (orange & pink) set. most of my hair is at the end of the curlformers, and about 3 sections are actually sticking out. I think I have another two months before it's time to give this curlformers to my sister. I'm kinda bummed I have to drop cash on another curlformer spiral set, but EXCITED bc this means my hair is growing! :D even though it doesn't look like it's longer at all lol. I guess that's since I always wear it curly. plan to do a straight hair length check in August after I get my CWK plates.

Hi ladies! After trying and failing miserably at air drying, I'm back to roller setting. It was a challenge at times roller setting texlaxed hair. Especially deep into my stretch. So I added an extra step where I use my conditioning flat iron on each section after misting with leave-in before rolling. The difference in my hair is pretty amazing. I'm now back to setting regularly. Hopefully I can regain some of the length I may have lost during the air drying debacle.

Blairx0 He's amazing and I'm sooooo in love with him! I'm learning to adjust everything around his schedule....but I do it gladly.

He sleeps with his face pressed against his bassinet. Thank God it has mesh sides so he can breathe. lol

Omgosh he is adorable lu! Congrats :-) I've been out of this thread for a minute and hadn't realized you already had DS!

I've missed so much! I've still been stretching my hair but a la naptural85 with twists. Once I stop my internship in July I'll go back to sets. I miss them!

Congratulations lulu97!!!

Under the dryer now with a flexi rod set! Feels good to be back doing what I loooooooveee! Now if only I can snap my fingers and this hair be dry.....

I forgot to report that I set my hair on Wednesday with the snap and go rollers and two flexi rods because I needed more rollers. Looking frizzy now because I moisturize yesterday smh

Awww, how wonderful. Such a sweetie!

The results of my flexi-rod set from yesterday. Last night I took the flexi's out and pineappled the curls for bed. This morning, separated and fluffed.

Last edited:
Back