Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

coilyhaircutie Gorgeous! So shiny and bouncy!

toaster thanks!! my hair is madly in love with aloe vera juice & aloe vera gel. so happy to have discovered what it loves. I didn't think it was possible for my 3c/4a hair to be so shiny before

the only problem I've been having now is that when my hair frizzes up in the heat/humidity (yesterday was 90 degrees!!), it loses shine. so I need to find a product or technique that will cut down on frizz

When I finish this paper tonight I'm going to go to CVS, get some ice cream, and look for roller set inspiration pics and videos on YouTube. I'm irrationally excited about it too.

hey girls.
did naptural85's flexirod set. pretty skeptical as to whether it will turn out like hers did.

she used flaxseed, i used this aloe vera gel-
aloe.jpg

she used her shea butter mix, i used vatika frosting
vatika.jpeg

pics-
DSCF2627.jpg
DSCF2621.jpg

will post results tomorrow

good night! :sleep:

^^^ I can't wait to see!

thanks Blairx0!

girls, i am proud to say that i was pleasantly surprised by how my hair turned out! naptural85's tecnique works, even if you don't use the same products as her. pics:

when i first took it down. the pics on the left are no flash, the large picture on the right is flash:
DSCF2630_Fotor_Collage.jpg

as you can see in the picture on the lower right, one flexirod curl did not dry all the way (UGH). I ended up twisting that curl and pinning it across the back of my head in a style. it actually turned out looking cute in the end.

my hair in the morning after separating & fluffing:
DSCF2635.jpg

my hair at the end of the day after work. it frizzed out a lot, but it still looks good:
DSCF2641.jpg
DSCF2645.jpg

and here's my hair without the flash, so you can see how it looks under direct sunlight:
DSCF2658.jpg

(ETA: for some reason lhcf won't let me upload the full-sized pic of my hair in the sunlight, i had to make it smaller than the others for it to upload. i tried playing around with the upload function but it kept rejecting the original file. ughh!!! sorry it's so small.)

thank you naptural85 for this new technique! it agrees with my hair. i also got compliments on my style at work today.

pros:
-cute midweek style, can do on old hair
-minimal products needed- aloe vera gel & coconut (vatika) oil
-pretty, S-shaped curls. i prefer these curls to curlformer coily curls. sometimes i feel like curlformer curls are like dreads lol
-flexirods can be worn under a hair bonnet

cons
-naptural85's hair is longer than mine, so in her video her curls hung longer and weighed her roots down. however, since my hair is shorter, my roots were puffier and didn't blend in as well with my curls. that's okay in the long run though- it just means that as my hair grows longer, this style will look even better :)
-sleeping in flexirods is no fun. but, it's not as bad as sleeping in curlformers

i would definitely do this style again!

Last edited:
coilyhaircutie

cute results! How was it sleeping in the flexi rods

thanks!! Blairx0
sleeping in flexirods was not easy, but it was better than sleeping with curlformers. it was hard to get comfortable at first, but once i fell asleep i was knocked out. with curlformers on the other hand, i sometimes wake up in the middle of the night to readjust them. that's probably because i only used 16 or so flexirods, whereas with curlformers i use 40 on my wet hair.

but you probably are already a pro with sleeping in flexirods since you usually use them to preserve your sets :)

Just finished my first rollerset using the Miracle 10 leave in and Nairobi foam. I can't wait to see how it turns out in the morning. :yep:

^^how Did it turn out? I am curious about this foam

I love it! I think I've found a new and better regimen for my hair. I poo'ed, 2 min Aphogee protein, moisturizer con, hot oil treatment and then used the Miracle 10 leave in and Nairobi foam to set.

You can't even tell that I'm 7 weeks post relaxer. My roots are so straight and my hair has bounce and shine! Definitely a game changer for me! I'll post a pic later.

Attempting to go two weeks without washing my hair. I'm scared! Going to visit my parents for a few days and there are no rollers/overhead dryer over there. If I end up failing I'll just wet bun until I get back home.

I love it! I think I've found a new and better regimen for my hair. I poo'ed, 2 min Aphogee protein, moisturizer con, hot oil treatment and then used the Miracle 10 leave in and Nairobi foam to set.

You can't even tell that I'm 7 weeks post relaxer. My roots are so straight and my hair has bounce and shine! Definitely a game changer for me! I'll post a pic later.

No pictures, no peace! Lets see the photos

I set my hair for the first time in months, now i remeber how much i used to enjoy the process. bunning seems to have given me breakage but i was so busy for school. i didnt even have the time for a wash n go.

I set my hair for the first time in months, now i remeber how much i used to enjoy the process. bunning seems to have given me breakage but i was so busy for school. i didnt even have the time for a wash n go.

Hope you get back to setting I used to love your blog

Last edited:
I keep telling my self that setting takes too long and I'm done with it. Then I buy more rollers. I didn't like the 1-3/4" from last week so I upped my supply of 1-1/2"so I can do my whole head. Now I have to set again. Maybe in a few weeks.

Not setting this weekend, but will during the week. Think I will dust off my magnetics for my upcoming set.

Set this weekend. 4 months since my last texlax, so this is becoming a task, because it hasn't been already. Mostly my front is hard to smooth down. I used Kerastase oleo-relax again, so I'm definitely hooked.

I want those straight plates. I think they could be used to stretch the hair for flexi rod sets or even with rollers on the end for straight roots with curled ends.

I want those straight plates. I think they could be used to stretch the hair for flexi rod sets or even with rollers on the end for straight roots with curled ends.

toaster I was thinking the same thing! I'm getting this set: The Head Turner Pack for Long Hair: 24 Long Plates, 20 Medium Plates, 12 Small Plates. Cost $60

I can't wait to play around with these plates in conjunction with my rollers. I'm thinking mohawk style...1 plate to stretch my roots and the rest of the hair on a roller. (Using a metal clip to clip the roller to the plate) It seems like it would do a great job of stretching the roots out!

Back