Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

toaster

Setting with gel is a balancing act. I have never used the Camille Rose gel, but with Flax Seed gel less is so so much more. I really have to remember to put the product on my entire hair strand and not to go back for more if I can't "feel it." You just have to trust it is there because once you can see it you no you are going to be under the dryer forever!

Blairx0

Thanks! I think if I had been able to actually rinse my deep conditioner, I wouldn't have had so much product on my hair. I'm heavy handed when I'm conditioning, but not when I'm setting. Unfortunately those two things turned into one this time. I'll take it for soft hair.

Bought my ear covers, so maybe I can crank the heat up to 70!

Blairx0

Thanks! I think if I had been able to actually rinse my deep conditioner, I wouldn't have had so much product on my hair. I'm heavy handed when I'm conditioning, but not when I'm setting. Unfortunately those two things turned into one this time. I'll take it for soft hair.

Bought my ear covers, so maybe I can crank the heat up to 70!

toaster
Mine came today :grin:
I ordered them off of amazon.com

toaster

Oh yeah!

I got this too

th

I just don't have room for a Pibbs :nono:
Plus, my rollers ain't that big where they can't fit under this baby. Jumbo size rollers can fit though, so yay!

Forever in Bloom you're all set! My parents are coming to visit for Easter and I know my father is going to say something about my Pibbs and LCL steamer sitting around my dining room table like they're guests at a party. This is where I set and steam weekly, so this is where they stay.

I'll be washing and setting this weekend. Wanted to use one of the Shea Moisture conditioners I purchased from Sally's during the BOGO free sale but I can't stand the smell right now. I used the masque on my daughter's hair when I set it this past Sunday and I was gagging. My pregnant sensitive nose just couldn't take it. I've already handed it off to her and told her to use it and wash it out before she comes to me to set. I'll just stick to my normal products. lol

My hair is a hot mess and i just set Saturday. UGH! Products make such a big difference. I tried a new DC and this is how my hair looked after rinsing: as opposed to looking like this: I know this isn't a product review thread, but if you want a smooth, lasting rollerset you need to start with balanced hair! I need to set again and soon!

That's a big difference! It's mostly why I don't stray away from my staples. My last post I mentioned thinking about trying these new SM conditioners I purchased and I really don't want to. I've given all 4 conditioners to my daughter and that way she can stay out of my staple deep conditioner. She should be set for the rest of the year and I can rest well knowing I have something that's gonna give me predictable results. lol

toaster

Oh yeah!

I got this too

th

I just don't have room for a Pibbs :nono:
Plus, my rollers ain't that big where they can't fit under this baby. Jumbo size rollers can fit though, so yay!

I have her soft bonnet dryer, and I love it! Actually, I'm under it right now pre-pooing with chicoro's aloe vera juice prepoo!

Table top dryers seem like you need perfect placement.

But a girl needs a dryer, so I'm glad it is working out for you ladies

Table top dryers seem like you need perfect placement. But a girl needs a dryer, so I'm glad it is working out for you ladies

Table top dryers are really hard to get at the right height. That's one reason I don't like mine. But I hardly ever set so I don't want a big one taking up space in my house. I wish the roll around dryers folded up like the table top dryers.

Well--had my hair rollerset yesterday on large orange perm rods....it turned out horribly. Not even worth posting pictures over. $60 down the drain---should've done my hair myself...

Current set: I used all 2 inch grey rollers except for 4 in the top crown area.

First picture shows after roller take down.

2nd picture shows how the rollers alone got my length really smooth. I only used my small tooth comb on the last 2 to 3 inches of hair. I smoothed the rest with my hands.

3rd picture is after finger combing the curls a bit. Today I'll just wear it in a low bantu bun to stretch the roots a bit. It's going to be nice and sunny all week so I'll alternate wearing my hair down and in one bantu bun with a headband. The 2nd week, I'll do some french braids or some form of braids.

Last edited:
Today is my rollerset day. Here are my pics:

Rollers in:
Rollers in 4-12-14.JPG

Rollers out:
Rollers out 4-12-14.JPG

Wrapped:
Wrapped 4-12-14.JPG

Styled:
Styled 4-12-14.JPG

I thought about doing a saran wrap but I didn't feel like sitting under the dryer for a minute longer. So I just used my K-Cutter to wrap my hair. I left it wrapped for about an hour before I combed it down.

I still think I'm going to do some pincurls tonight. If I wrap it, I'll lose all of my curls and it'll be too straight & just in case I go to church tomorrow, I'd like to keep some body.

Today is my rollerset day. Here are my pics:

Rollers in:
View attachment 254547

Rollers out:
View attachment 254549

Wrapped:
View attachment 254551

Styled:
View attachment 254553

I thought about doing a saran wrap but I didn't feel like sitting under the dryer for a minute longer. So I just used my K-Cutter to wrap my hair. I left it wrapped for about an hour before I combed it down.

I still think I'm going to do some pincurls tonight. If I wrap it, I'll lose all of my curls and it'll be too straight & just in case I go to church tomorrow, I'd like to keep some body.

Nice!! :yep:

All rolled up and under the dryer. I am going to dry another 20 mins so an hour and total mins in total.

pictures to come!

Sorry I'm so late re checking in. One of those months. I actually had a set-back from heat and just being lazy re covering @ night /oiling, etc. and then ... horror of horror, clipping a couple of wefts in/out, in/out for a few weeks. I know, I know - mea culpa and smack the hand of the recovering weavist but I had a bunch of business stuff, my ends are still see through thin and I figured, at least I didn't go back to a sew-in. Damage is done -- see it all up and through my weak spots. Anywho, I'm back on track. Couldn't wait to pre-poo with Ghee/Fenugreek mix, deep condition with Bambu conditioner and egg yolks, laico-lacio leave-in and then ... ahhhh ... spray (w/ Lottabody/Dryfast), part, roll and sit my hhj self right under my dryer with a cup of herbal tea. The next time that I even think about doing something stupid like altering my hair care regime, I am going to come back on here and hope you all talk me out of it. I hate setbacks.

Last edited:
Steaming right now. Today was my monthly protein prepoo session so "hair day" is a little longer than usual. Will rinse and then set with It's a 10 Conditioner (the regular conditioner, not the leave in) and Camille Rose Curl Maker Gel.

My ear protectors didn't come because USPS messed up my mail service for the past two weeks, so I'll try my usual 90 minutes and see if I need more time.

I spent some money at Ulta and got a free 2 oz It's a 10 Leave in! I have an unopened 4 oz container, and 1/4 of a 4 oz container already. That's enough for the whole year I believe!

I hope setting with conditioner works, but I think in the summer when it's really hot I'll set with the leave-in, and switch back to the conditioner in the Fall.

Okay, this post is really so I have a place to go back and see why I'm making changes and how they work out, but hopefully it's helpful to others as well.

My hair strands are very thick, and I was so surprised that the It's a 10 Leave-in worked on my hair because it's not a thick product, and I usually need heavier products to wrangle my hair into place. This time I just used the It's a 10 Daily Conditioner to set, along with the Camille Rose Curl Maker Gel and I had a very different setting experience. After a few sections of experimenting, I think I need 4 total pumps of the Conditioner and 8 total pumps of the gel to set my whole head. My hair was very soft and easy to detangle (just like it is with the It's a 10 Leave-in), but the difference was in the rolling. The heavier products helped my natural curls relax just enough that I could smooth them on the roller better than I'm usually able to. The perm-rods are still AWESOME for this, but the change in product helped as well.

I think the trade-off will really be with drying time. Heavier products seal in the water and will take longer to completely dry. I'm not sure if it's worth it. I plan on trying the conditioner for a few weeks (barring any major malfunction this week) and come to a final decision. Using the daily conditioner would be cheaper for me, but that's not that big of a concern. I use what my hair likes, and budget accordingly.

It's a 10 Daily Conditioner:
Detangles
Imparts incredible softness
Reduced frizz
Build up free
Preserves hair color
UV protection
Hydrates hair and scalp
Restores shine
Infuses strength and vitality
Thermal styling protection

Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Propylene Glycol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Hydrolyzed Hibiscus Esculentus Extract, Colocassia Esculenta Root Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Extract, Cyclopentasiloxane, Squalane, Fragrance, Keratin Amino Acids, Sodium PCA, Symphytum Officinale Leaf Extract, Punica Granatum Fruit Juice, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Amodimethicone, Silk Amino Acids, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Aspalanthus Linearis Leaf Extract, Zingiber Officinale (Ginger) Root Extract, Morinda Citrifolia Seed Oil, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Kernel Oil, Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed) Seed Oil, Moringa Ptergosperma Seed Extract, Euterpe Oleracea Fruit Extract, Sorbitol, Panthenol, Tetraodium EDTA, Bisabolol, Butylene Glycol, DMDM Hydantoin, Methylisothiazolinone, Citric Acid, Hexyl Cinnamal, D Limonene

It's a 10 Miracle Leave-in
Repairs dry, damaged hair
Adds shine
Detangles
Controls frizz
Seals & protects hair color
Prevents split ends
Stops hair breakage
Creates silkiness
Enhances natural body
Flat iron spray & thermal protector

Water (Purified), Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Propylene Glycol, Panthenol, Cyclomethicone, Silk Amino Acid, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Extract (Sunflower), Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Quaternium 80, Fragrance, Eugenol 3, Coumarin 3, Cinnamal 3, Linalool, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

I have not set in two weeks. Ill be back next week (will continue to lurk though) because my hair needed a rest after flat ironing it.

All done! Hair was dry after 100 minutes on 55. Scrunched out the crunch with Entwine Butter Cream and a little Bask Sevenfold Butter.

Hair in Bantu knots until I head to the gym tomorrow.

image-559002291.jpg

image-433452430.jpg

image-3975538464.jpg

image-2378006985.jpg

My hair was super matted. I have no idea what happened. I guess roller setting and pinning my hair up, followed by leaving it alone all week, is no bueno. Lesson learned! Thank goodness I did not put anything wet in my hair to detangle. I dry detangled with my fingers and lots of coconut oil :yep:

I thoroughly detangled with 2 different sized combs and my fingers prior to roller setting. I've never had my hair act like this. Weird. :ohwell:

Back