Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

^^ can't wait to see your curl formers set. I'm sure it is going to be great. I'm glad you found a way to keep your hair moisturized!

^^ can't wait to see your curl formers set. I'm sure it is going to be great. I'm glad you found a way to keep your hair moisturized!

I'm always so nervous :lol: What if my hair turns into a poodle in the middle of the event :lol:

I hope it turns out well and that I can maintain it over night.

I'm also glad I found a way to moisturize with a set. I don't think this will be the way in the long run but it will get my over the hump.

Any ladies ever use hair roller clips like this How did they work for you?
I've never used those! They look interesting but might make sitting under the dryer difficult? How big are they?

ETA: are those similar to Caruso roller clips? I've never used those either.

I've never used those! They look interesting but might make sitting under the dryer difficult? How big are they?

ETA: are those similar to Caruso roller clips? I've never used those either.

I'm not sure. I'm thinking these are about the same size as the clips you use to wash your hair. They probably come in different sizes.

I have a bonnet dryer. I'm thinking these would fit OK. Curlformers take up soooo much space.

Not necessarily thinking of getting them, just browsing.

Previously roller set HOTD or hopefully hair until next wash day: 2 Goddess braids with extensions.

I've been trying to find a braided hairstyle I can wear after I have the baby. I don't want to go to the braiding salon for 10 hours, thought about doing some jumbo twists myself but I just don't have the patience, so I settled on this. I used half a pack of kanekalon brading hair.

For the life of me; I couldn't figure out how to add the hair to the beginning of the braid, so I braided my own hair down to my ears, then added the hair in. As you can tell, it was not a smooth transition...but I'm going to tie a scarf around my head to see if I can flatten the lumps and bumps down some. This hair style took me about 10-15 minutes and I'm hoping to get it to last for 2 weeks. I'll keep practicing.

Last edited:
[USER said:
lulu97;19820741[/USER]]Previously roller set HOTD or hopefully hair until next wash day: 2 Goddess braids with extensions.

I've been trying to find a braided hairstyle I can wear after I have the baby. I don't want to go to the braiding salon for 10 hours, thought about doing some jumbo twists myself but I just don't have the patience, so I settled on this. I used half a pack of kanekalon brading hair.

For the life of me; I couldn't figure out how to add the hair to the beginning of the braid, so I braided my own hair down to my ears, then added the hair in. As you can tell, it was not a smooth transition...but I'm going to tie a scarf around my head to see if I can flatten the lumps and bumps down some. This hair style took me about 10-15 minutes and I'm hoping to get it to last for 2 weeks. I'll keep practicing.

Great job and a great idea. It looks good.

I may copy a variation of this when my hair gets longer but just do flat twist :yep: I don't even know if I remember how to cornrow.

faithVA Curlformers don't even fit under my pibbs! I think I was using too many, but I'll try it again eventually.

Gorgeous braids lulu97! I wish I could French braid. Or flat twist.

faithVA no but they look like they would provide a nice and firm grip on the roller.

I put them in my Amazon wishlist to revisit if I start rollersetting more regularly. I think they are probably better than the plastic snap caps for magentic rollers. I may try it with some cheap clips I have at home to get an idea. Can probably find some at the dollar store. All kinds of ideas :lol:

Great job and a great idea. It looks good. I may copy a variation of this when my hair gets longer but just do flat twist :yep: I don't even know if I remember how to cornrow.

Thank you! It's like riding a bike...I'm sure once you start your first cornrow, it will all come back to you! lol

Thank you! It's like riding a bike...I'm sure once you start your first cornrow, it will all come back to you! lol

:lol: You haven't seen me ride a bike.

I can cornrow forward and to the side. I'm not sure about going back. The idea makes me sweat. I am definitely going to try :yep:

faithVA Curlformers don't even fit under my pibbs! I think I was using too many, but I'll try it again eventually. Gorgeous braids lulu97! I wish I could French braid. Or flat twist.

toaster Thank you! I really haven't mastered french braids yet either. I want to learn but I'm trying to only get one thing down at a time before I move on. I think once I master doing regular cornrow braids with extensions, I'll move on to french braids.

I would like to join. I have to keep my hair smooth and be able to comb daily/every other day to remove shed hairs so roller sets should help me achieve me that. I'm doing this experiment until my next relaxer to see how my hair fairs (I'm 2 weeks post; 1st wash post relaxer). Getting rdy to wash this dc out in a bit and rollerset. I plan on using my shescentit moisture mist leave in/coco creme leave in and karacare setting lotion.

Last edited:
I would like to join. I have to keep my hair smooth and be able to comb daily/every other day to remove shed hairs so roller sets should help me achieve me that. I'm doing this experiment until my next relaxer to see how my hair fairs (I'm 2 weeks post; 1st wash post relaxer). Getting rdy to wash this dc out in a bit and rollerset. I plan on using my shescentit moisture mist leave in/coco creme leave in and karacare setting lotion.

naturalagain2 Welcome!!! :)

Can't wait to see your sets and learn from you! What did you use to dc

girlonfire

I used rollers similar to that (salon care snap on rollers from Sally's) in 1 1/8 inch size. I didn't mind the teeth and they didn't harm my hair as long as I made sure to keep my hair on the center of the roller. The edges were more rough than the magnetically.

girlonfire

I used rollers similar to that (salon care snap on rollers from Sally's) in 1 1/8 inch size. I didn't mind the teeth and they didn't harm my hair as long as I made sure to keep my hair on the center of the roller. The edges were more rough than the magnetically.

Thanks for replying! Did you feel the teeth helped at all?

Thanks for replying! Did you feel the teeth helped at all?

Yes I thought the teeth helped grip my hair so it was very taut on the roller. The only downside was the open surface didn't give my hair the shine and smoothness I get from using non-vented rollers. However, I used the rollers with teeth for my first roller set this year, so maybe if I tried them again I'd get better results.

I set my hair with It's a 10 Leave-in and water today. Loving that "combo". I rolled under instead of over. I read that when you use snaps you can get the roller closer to the root if you roll under. It worked really well for the top half of my hair, but not so much for the bottom half. I might to a half/half method next time.

My rolling time is down to about 35 minutes, which I love. The crown of my hair is getting almost as long as my arms! I pretty much plan to let my hair grow as long as it wants to this time, as I wear my hair up most of the time anyway. I wonder what size rollers I'll be using 2-3 years from now.

What is the difference between over and under, like what's the motion? Is it like if you have a piece of hair and you put the roller on top of the hair instead of underneath it, that is said to be "rolling over"?

girlonfire

Rolling under would be putting the hair on top of the roller and rotating clockwise to get the roller close to the scalp. Rolling over is putting the hair under the roller and rolling counterclockwise.

I hope that makes sense! I've found that I'm not really paying attention when I roll (distracting myself with YouTube, usually) so I end up rolling some over and some under, just depending on what I think is best for that particular section. There's certainly no method to my sets!

Back