Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

I was going to wait to post this until after I caught up with reading this thread, but the results of my flexi rod set have me too excited not to post now. :grin: I was inspired by this set on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2qFpzF0O8o I tried the Nairobi shampoo, leave in, and setting lotion; but after a failed set last Sunday, I decided to try her way (the girl in the video) with the Creme of Nature Argan Oil Foaming Mousse, and EcoStyler olive oil gel. I LOVE the results! The texture of my hair is much like it was when the first stylist set it. Once I get tired of these curls, I will use my Caruso's or satin rollers later in the week. I liked the Nairobi when the stylist used it, but I have to say that this CON is like my new best friend. :) I love this stuff! It also wins bonus points for not having parabens or DMDM hydantoin - 2 ingredients I try very hard to miss. About the EcoStyler, I was afraid that it would make my hair hard, but it didn't. There isn't the slightest hint of 'crunchiness'. I don't think I've ever gotten my hair like this before. It feels like a professional did it. I think that the regimen I used today will be my regimen from now on as long as I'm roller setting, especially as I consider cleansing and conditioning my hair less often. Pre-poo/deep condition: Natural Oasis Honey Creme Balm Cleanse: Anita Grant Babassu Poo-Bar Condition: Tresseme Naturals Set: Creme of Nature Argan Oil Foaming Mousse and Ecostyler Olive Oil gel Oil to separate curls: Natural Oasis herbal styling oil Now the pics:

prettybyrd I love it! So pretty.

I have a head full of curlformers. I need my hair stretched, so I can dust/trim on the Spring Equinox. I set with lulu97 and toasters beloved It's a 10 Miracle Leave In. I'll report back on the leave in, because this is my first time using it. I used it just in case I need to follow up with a flat iron to get my hair straight for dusting.

Today's curlformer set.

ForumRunner_20140318_212804.jpg

Please excuse the dirty mirror and my jammies. toaster and lulu97 the It's a 10 is a HIT! My hair is so soft right now and the only product in it is the It's a 10.

My hair is pretty straight, so I don't need to go in with a flat iron. I just need the curls to fall. I'll leave it alone for now, so I'll look styled tomorrow. Tomorrow night I'll pull it into a lulu97 Bantu knot, so that the curls will fall more for Thursdays dust/trim.

ETA: I just had DS take a pic of the back, so you can see how sheen/shiney it looks with only that one product.

Please excuse the curlformer. I missed a small patch of hair while doing my set earlier. I didn't realize it until I was removing them, so I refreshed that patch with It's a 10 and installed the one lone CF.

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

Last edited:
Today's curlformer set. Please excuse the dirty mirror and my jammies. toaster and lulu97 the It's a 10 is a HIT! My hair is so soft right now and the only product in it is the It's a 10. My hair is pretty straight, so I don't need to go in with a flat iron. I just need the curls to fall. I'll leave it alone for now, so I'll look styled tomorrow. Tomorrow night I'll pull it into a lulu97 Bantu knot, so that the curls will fall more for Thursdays dust/trim. ETA: I just had DS take a pic of the back, so you can see how sheen/shiney it looks with only that one product. Please excuse the curlformer. I missed a small patch of hair while doing my set earlier. I didn't realize it until I was removing them, so I refreshed that patch with It's a 10 and installed the one lone CF. Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

MileHighDiva Love it!!!! Your results are beautiful! I also noticed that using only the it's a 10 leave in without any oils/gels/setting lotions will allow your set to dry faster. My hair is usually dry in 45 mins but I always just stay under until my timer stops at an hour. It's like other products just interfere with it's potential.

MileHighDiva Love it!!!! Your results are beautiful! I also noticed that using only the it's a 10 leave in without any oils/gels/setting lotions will allow your set to dry faster. My hair is usually dry in 45 mins but I always just stay under until my timer stops at an hour. It's like other products just interfere with it's potential.

Agreed! I used the leave in and serum (both It's a 10) and my perm rod set was dry and moisturized after 100 minutes, which seems like a lot but I used 16 rollers instead of my usual 20+. I think next time I'll see if I'm dry in 90 minutes. :lick:

Set from yesterday: Used my usual 1 3/4 inch magnetic snap on rollers and It's a 10 as a leave in.

First 2 pics are right after taking the rollers down. One of those includes the back view. The longer my hair gets, the harder it is to get my roots straight back there. So as a result, this set had a bit of shrinkage but loads of shine. So I'll take that trade off with a smile!

After removing the rollers, I massaged coconut oil into these thick roots of mine. I also added a tiny amount of coconut oil to the length of my hair, finger combed out the curls, then put it in 1 big bantu knot at the top of my head to stretch the roots overnight.

Last 2 pics are today (2nd day hair)
My hair was shiny, and soft but still quite shrunken at the roots...just not as much as yesterday after takedown. lol Gonna put it back in a bantu bun later and let that stay in until the weekend.

Last edited:
It worked really well! They are very secure and not going anywhere! I just couldn't figure out which way to wrap the band so the rod wouldn't move, and I wasn't going to spend any more time than I had to trying to figure it out.

When the band popped on mine, I had been throwing them away. Now I'm mad :lol: I could have just been pinning them up. This is good to now because I bought cheap perm rods and all of those will snap before the end of the year. :yep:

I want to join in! I'm natural, and I just started ponytail roller setting every two weeks because I'm tired of all the breakage and single strand knots! So I've decided to roller set until December 2014 in order to get to waist length. I'm MBL right now. I'm in the military so I bun every day, and hopefully that'll help me get to waist length even faster. Here is my hair after a quick Caruso set on a week old roller set. The third pic is from today after the curls fell a bit.

Very pretty curls. I like :yep:

I was going to wait to post this until after I caught up with reading this thread, but the results of my flexi rod set have me too excited not to post now. :grin:

I was inspired by this set on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2qFpzF0O8o

I tried the Nairobi shampoo, leave in, and setting lotion; but after a failed set last Sunday, I decided to try her way (the girl in the video) with the Creme of Nature Argan Oil Foaming Mousse, and EcoStyler olive oil gel.

I LOVE the results! The texture of my hair is much like it was when the first stylist set it. Once I get tired of these curls, I will use my Caruso's or satin rollers later in the week.

I liked the Nairobi when the stylist used it, but I have to say that this CON is like my new best friend. :) I love this stuff! It also wins bonus points for not having parabens or DMDM hydantoin - 2 ingredients I try very hard to miss.

About the EcoStyler, I was afraid that it would make my hair hard, but it didn't. There isn't the slightest hint of 'crunchiness'. I don't think I've ever gotten my hair like this before. It feels like a professional did it.

I think that the regimen I used today will be my regimen from now on as long as I'm roller setting, especially as I consider cleansing and conditioning my hair less often.

Pre-poo/deep condition: Natural Oasis Honey Creme Balm
Cleanse: Anita Grant Babassu Poo-Bar
Condition: Tresseme Naturals
Set: Creme of Nature Argan Oil Foaming Mousse and Ecostyler Olive Oil gel
Oil to separate curls: Natural Oasis herbal styling oil

Now the pics:

Very cute. You have such nice springy curls.

Hair does dry faster when fewer and lighter products are used :yep:

I've already started planning my next set. I'm going to use my standard 1 1/8" rollers for the top part of my hair and 1 1/2" for the lower half. I'm hoping it will look layered. I'm also going to use bobby pins in addition to the snap covers to secure the rollers. Now I just have to figure out when I'm going to do it.

In the meantime I'm still playing around with braid outs.

Attachments

• image-669835947.jpg
    image-669835947.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 44
  • image-923738039.jpg
    image-923738039.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 42
  • image-3774635407.jpg
    image-3774635407.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 44
This is why it's so important to keep pictures! Lawd look at the difference. The first pic was 48 weeks ago using my 3 bantu knot method after roller setting. The 2nd picture is from today using only 1 bantu knot...and that's with shrinkage!!! Keep up the roller setting ladies...totally worth it!

Last edited:
woow beautiful pictures everyone! :love:
And great progress lulu97! seeing those two pictures side by side is really inspiring.

I've been getting better at my permrods sets. Also, I feel like I understand how to use my products better. Like now I know the best thing to "scrunch" out the crunch of my gel is avocado oil, and I know how to preserve my curls better. But I'm still working on my methods, and more progress can be made.

The latest set:

with flash
permrods with flash.jpg

without flash
permrods no flash.jpg

2 days later, after pincurling
permrod next day.jpg

The next thing I want to work on now is growing out my edges and my nape. I've always wondered why my nape has forever been 2 inches shorter than the rest of my hair, but after googling and youtubing I found out that I'm not the only one with this problem. I've gotten Brahmi oil to use as a scalp massage oil before my next wash, and I am going to start incorporating castor oil in my DC. I've heard good things about Brahmi as a growth oil, and it's gotten rave reviews on Amazon. I also was contemplating buying one of these scalp massagers- I saw a girl with natural hair on youtube use it, and it didn't snag her hair. But I'm going to save that purchase for next month. One thing at a time!

Ladies!

I have been absent, but I was working on a blog post and wanted to wait until I finished my little blog experiment.

I set on Saturday and have been working on a way to preserve my curls. I wrote about the experiment here:http://wp.me/p3yCFR-kQ

but i wanted to come in and post some pictures!

My hair rolled up...and yes I missed some
IMAG1567.jpg

My hair fresh out of rollers
IMAG1579.jpg

Picture one is my hair on day 3 in the ugly pigtails I slept in
IMAG1604.jpg

But after three days with no products, heat, or flexi rods those ugly tails helped my hair hold the curl and it looked like this when I took it down:
IMAG1606.jpg

I was going to wait to post this until after I caught up with reading this thread, but the results of my flexi rod set have me too excited not to post now. :grin:

I was inspired by this set on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2qFpzF0O8o

I tried the Nairobi shampoo, leave in, and setting lotion; but after a failed set last Sunday, I decided to try her way (the girl in the video) with the Creme of Nature Argan Oil Foaming Mousse, and EcoStyler olive oil gel.

I LOVE the results! The texture of my hair is much like it was when the first stylist set it. Once I get tired of these curls, I will use my Caruso's or satin rollers later in the week.

I liked the Nairobi when the stylist used it, but I have to say that this CON is like my new best friend. :) I love this stuff! It also wins bonus points for not having parabens or DMDM hydantoin - 2 ingredients I try very hard to miss.

About the EcoStyler, I was afraid that it would make my hair hard, but it didn't. There isn't the slightest hint of 'crunchiness'. I don't think I've ever gotten my hair like this before. It feels like a professional did it.

I think that the regimen I used today will be my regimen from now on as long as I'm roller setting, especially as I consider cleansing and conditioning my hair less often.

Pre-poo/deep condition: Natural Oasis Honey Creme Balm
Cleanse: Anita Grant Babassu Poo-Bar
Condition: Tresseme Naturals
Set: Creme of Nature Argan Oil Foaming Mousse and Ecostyler Olive Oil gel
Oil to separate curls: Natural Oasis herbal styling oil

Now the pics:

Great results! Your hair came out so smooth!

The app wouldn't let me to add the additional photo to the original post.

View attachment 250823

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

Very sleek as always

Set from yesterday: Used my usual 1 3/4 inch magnetic snap on rollers and It's a 10 as a leave in.

First 2 pics are right after taking the rollers down. One of those includes the back view. The longer my hair gets, the harder it is to get my roots straight back there. So as a result, this set had a bit of shrinkage but loads of shine. So I'll take that trade off with a smile!

After removing the rollers, I massaged coconut oil into these thick roots of mine. I also added a tiny amount of coconut oil to the length of my hair, finger combed out the curls, then put it in 1 big bantu knot at the top of my head to stretch the roots overnight.

Last 2 pics are today (2nd day hair)
My hair was shiny, and soft but still quite shrunken at the roots...just not as much as yesterday after takedown. lol Gonna put it back in a bantu bun later and let that stay in until the weekend.

What amazing progress. Rollersetting has done well by you! I am hoping for those results by the end of this year.

woow beautiful pictures everyone! :love:
And great progress lulu97! seeing those two pictures side by side is really inspiring.

I've been getting better at my permrods sets. Also, I feel like I understand how to use my products better. Like now I know the best thing to "scrunch" out the crunch of my gel is avocado oil, and I know how to preserve my curls better. But I'm still working on my methods, and more progress can be made.

The latest set:

with flash
View attachment 250963

without flash
View attachment 250965

2 days later, after pincurling
View attachment 250967

The next thing I want to work on now is growing out my edges and my nape. I've always wondered why my nape has forever been 2 inches shorter than the rest of my hair, but after googling and youtubing I found out that I'm not the only one with this problem. I've gotten Brahmi oil to use as a scalp massage oil before my next wash, and I am going to start incorporating castor oil in my DC. I've heard good things about Brahmi as a growth oil, and it's gotten rave reviews on Amazon. I also was contemplating buying one of these scalp massagers- I saw a girl with natural hair on youtube use it, and it didn't snag her hair. But I'm going to save that purchase for next month. One thing at a time!

cute!

Took my bun down to moisturize and seal and man my hair looks funky. Feels great though! Washing once a week has been a life saver, and with a bun you can't even tell that my hair looks... not presentable.

image-2793925966.jpg

image-751072342.jpg

Wednesday night I twisted my hair and set the ends on small perm rods. My hair came out to a nice poodle fro :yep: I'm cool with that. I don't mind big hair.

Last night I spritzed each section with tea and sealed the ends with conditioner and pomade. Then I set my hair on medium perm rods. Not sure why I did that :ohwell: Because as it got later I realized I wasn't going to sleep in perm rods and I took the perm rods out and put in satin rollers. Not sure why I didn't just put in satin rollers in the first place :lol:

So today I have another poodle fro. and it's soft and my ends feel pretty good. I need more satin rollers though. At least I have a way to retain a roller set style and I think the conditioner pomade combination will help my ends without causing too much frizz.

I am doing a curlformer set tonight for an event tomorrow. So hopefully everything I learned over the past month will be evident in my set tomorrow.

Back