Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

Making a batch of flax seed gel. Anyone used flax seed gel with setting?

I haven't. Have you used it before? Do you find your hair sets better with it? Or does it last longer?

So far my sets seem to do better without product.

I haven't. Have you used it before? Do you find your hair sets better with it? Or does it last longer?

So far my sets seem to do better without product.

This will be my first time using it to set. I have used it in the past to bun and really liked it.

Blairx0 Froreal3

I used the same products I usually do!

Shampooed with its a 10 miracle shampoo. DC'd and detangled with it's a 10 DC and my oil mix on top. Rinsed thoroughly. Used the it's a 10 leave in and it's a 10 serum to set.

I really do love these products. When I set again on Monday night I'll Bantu knot overnight and try to post what it looks like.

Blairx0 I keep wanting to make flaxseed gel, but I don't want to have to refrigerate it. I need to find a preservative.

I can't wait to hear how it works out for you.

Blairx0 I keep wanting to make flaxseed gel, but I don't want to have to refrigerate it. I need to find a preservative. I can't wait to hear how it works out for you.
GettingKinky

Try a small amount of citric acid, you can find it in the supermarket but it may be called pickling salt. Or try a pharmacy or vitamin shop! I use it when I make flaxseed gel and when I make Sea moss gel for my hair! It works well and most natural hair products contain it anyway. It's a quick and easy fix if you are just trying to keep something for a few weeks, hope this helps.

Any March setting/hair goals?
Mine are:
Roller set every 10-14 days

1/2 inch trim

Clarify and Aphogee 2 step protein treatment

Style wise: work on my french braid technique on previously roller set hair. These are a few styles I want to try this month. I couldn't find many pictures of "us" in french braids...y'all know "they" kill those styles tho :)
I'm sure I won't get to trying all 4 so it will probably spill over to next month. I love incorporating braided styles in the spring!

Last edited:
I have 1 goal for March- set my hair twice. If I manage that I also want to try a braid out using aloe Vera gel for hold.

My March goals include attempting a wash and go and getting better at parting my hair for sets. I'm going to purchase a rat tail comb (not for detangling) so that I can stop "parting" with my fingers. My hair has enough slip in it with the It's a 10 products that I should be able to get clean and neat parts.

I also want to try one of Naptural85's styles on my stretched roller set hair. I haven't decided which one, I just want to switch it up a little.

Not hair related, but I want to work out every day in March. Off to Zumba right now!

GettingKinky

Try a small amount of citric acid, you can find it in the supermarket but it may be called pickling salt. Or try a pharmacy or vitamin shop! I use it when I make flaxseed gel and when I make Sea moss gel for my hair! It works well and most natural hair products contain it anyway. It's a quick and easy fix if you are just trying to keep something for a few weeks, hope this helps.

Thanks for that tip. I will pick some up when I shop next time.

How were your results?

I am happy with my results. It came out better than last time. I just separated the curls about 30 minutes ago. It takes forever for me to take these bad pictures :lol:

When I finally woke up, I took out the curlformers and then let my hair sit for 15 minutes. I sealed with a shining balm. And I actually tried to pin curl the areas I sleep on. I definitely need to work on that. But I think it worked out well enough :yep:

CurlsTop(421x311).jpg

CurlsLt(640x506).jpg

CurlsSepTp3(640x484).jpg

CurlsSepRt(572x640).jpg

CurlsSepBk(640x559).jpg

well done faithVA you will have to report back how setting effects you hair's ability to maintain moisture. I think setting was a turning point for me with moisture so I am curious to see what another Lo po lady thinks

Last edited:
well done faithVA you will have to report back how setting effects you hair's ability to maintain moisture. I think setting was a turning point for me with moisture so I am curious to see what another Lo po lady thinks

Thank You Blairx0. Since I started using a new product line right before I started setting, I'm not sure I will be able to pinpoint. Right now I know the product line has made a big difference because I don't really set that often. But if setting improves on top of that, I will be super happy. :yep:

If I can get to a point where I can maintain this set for 5 days, I will definitely become a regular setter :yep:

Under the dryer catching up on the thread. It occured to be DominicanBrazilian82 hasn't posted this year. Her sets were such an inspiration last year.

Anyway I will contuine to look at pics to inspire me to stay under the dryer

I am happy with my results. It came out better than last time. I just separated the curls about 30 minutes ago. It takes forever for me to take these bad pictures :lol: When I finally woke up, I took out the curlformers and then let my hair sit for 15 minutes. I sealed with a shining balm. And I actually tried to pin curl the areas I sleep on. I definitely need to work on that. But I think it worked out well enough :yep:

Love it!!!!

Back