Serums to seal hair

*Muffin*

How many of you ladies use serums or heat protectants, not only to protect hair from heat damage, but also to seal hair and retain moisture? Oils alone aren't really working for me anymore.

I guess you can say I always do, because the only time I use oil is if i'm washing the next day.

I always use oils to seal, but sometimes if I straighten my hair and if I'm going out for the night, I'll use my beloved VS So Sexy serum to seal.

I have 2 different IC Fantasia's. The Heat Protectant and also the Anti Frizz Buster Serum that both work well.

As Far as Moisture Retainage, I think Qhemet Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm is Absolutely Fabulous. You'll Love it.:lovedrool:

It keeps Moisturize in your Hair! I Honestly Love this Product and it is Excellent on Relaxed Hair!:cloud9:

i'm not a big oil fan, i'm always too heavy handed with them and my hair ends up looking a greasy mess, so i always use serums my chi silk infusion if i'm flatironing and my ntm healing serum if i'm not flatironing right aftet

How many of you ladies use serums or heat protectants, not only to protect hair from heat damage, but also to seal hair and retain moisture? Oils alone aren't really working for me anymore.
Yep, I use serums on my ends to seal my curly ponytails.

i'm not a big oil fan, i'm always too heavy handed with them and my hair ends up looking a greasy mess, so i always use serums my chi silk infusion if i'm flatironing and my ntm healing serum if i'm not flatironing right aftet

I'm just discovering that, too. My hair really doesn't like oil. The only oil my hair seems to like is coconut oil, and only for oiling dry hair and in deep treatments. Lately whenever I try to seal my hair with oil my hair dries crunchy and clumpy. So I need a way to seal my hair after washing and moisturizing without using oils, and I figure serums would help. Thank you ladies for all your imput. Now to find the right serum. What serums are you ladies liking? So far I hear the fantasia IC serums are good. Hmm, Qhemet biologics hydrating balm? I must check out their website.

I like using serum to seal especially if I'm wearing my hair down. Hask Pure shine and Mizani Spradiance are my faves.

Yeah, i used to put optimum care serum on my hair, before i came to this site- it worked effectivly for keeping in moisture, i stopped because i read it was bad.

Yeah, i used to put optimum care serum on my hair, before i came to this site- it worked effectivly for keeping in moisture, i stopped because i read it was bad.

I stopped using a lot of products because I read they were bad as well, and now my hair feels like crap :lachen:...Ok, so it's not that funny. The reason why serums got a bad rep is because of the -cones in them, and if one doesn't use sulfates or surfactants (there are non-sulfate surfactants) most cannot be removed from the hair and will continue to build up and cause potential problems. But as long as one clarifies from time to time using -cones are fine.

I use a very light and citrus smelling serum from Miss MyMy, its amazing. It adds that finishing touch to my hair. Sometimes we don't need all the complex ingredients in most hair products. Check it out www.missmymy.com her products have been featured on Top Model as well :)

I am in the process of buying a thermal protectant from Joico Kpak. Anything from this line works in my opinion.

I'm just discovering that, too. My hair really doesn't like oil. The only oil my hair seems to like is coconut oil, and only for oiling dry hair and in deep treatments. Lately whenever I try to seal my hair with oil my hair dries crunchy and clumpy. So I need a way to seal my hair after washing and moisturizing without using oils, and I figure serums would help. Thank you ladies for all your imput. Now to find the right serum. What serums are you ladies liking? So far I hear the fantasia IC serums are good. Hmm, Qhemet biologics hydrating balm? I must check out their website.

My hair used to have that reaction to olive oil until I started mixing it with coconut oil. The two of them together are absolutely amazing. :yep:

When I was transitioning I used Paul Mitchell Super Skinny GVP or Garnier after washing to seal my products and give my hair lots of slip so I could detangle more easily. Now I don't use serums anymore, I use Castor Oil.

Thanks for all of your input ladies. I bought the fantasia IC frizz fighting serum (the regular one) yesterday (you girls should have seen me in walgreens. I was pacing up and down the hair care section for a hot minute trying to find the "perfect" serum, :grin:. I finally settled on this one). I used the one in the pink bottle before, and I liked it as well.

P.S. Quick question: How do you ladies moisturize when using serums and how often? Can leave-in conditioners penetrate through the cone layer?

Last edited:
I use serum for rollersets and use leave-in to moisturize until my next wash. It works for me so I guess they do penetrate. I think you'd have a problem like that if you are too heavy handed with with the serum.

Thanks for all of your input ladies. I bought the fantasia IC frizz fighting serum (the regular one) yesterday (you girls should have seen me in walgreens. I was pacing up and down the hair care section for a hot minute trying to find the "perfect" serum, :grin:. I finally settled on this one). I used the one in the pink bottle before, and I liked it as well.

P.S. Quick question: How do you ladies moisturize when using serums and how often? Can leave-in conditioners penetrate through the cone layer?

I think most serums coat the strands so much that not much will get through. That's one reason why I always applied them to my damp hair - I felt they kept the water in. Typically when using serums I wouldn't feel the need to re-moisturize until my next co-wash at least so I guess it depends on your routine, your hair's needs, and the strength/build-up of the serum you use.

I use serum for rollersets and use leave-in to moisturize until my next wash. It works for me so I guess they do penetrate. I think you'd have a problem like that if you are too heavy handed with with the serum.

That's what I was thinking. I read that serums form a breathable layer over the hair, so I guess if it's breathable it's somewhat penetrable, but the more serum you use, the less penetrable, perhaps.

I think most serums coat the strands so much that not much will get through. That's one reason why I always applied them to my damp hair - I felt they kept the water in. Typically when using serums I wouldn't feel the need to re-moisturize until my next co-wash at least so I guess it depends on your routine, your hair's needs, and the strength/build-up of the serum you use.

I also apply the serum to damp hair. It makes my hair feel kinda slick and greasy when I apply it to dry hair. Does anyone seal with both oil and serum? If so, which do you apply first, the oil or the serum?

Does anyone seal with both oil and serum? If so, which do you apply first, the oil or the serum?

I do Muffin.:yep: Especially when using Argan Oil.

It's superlight almost a transparent/weightless feeling. I will apply the Argan and then top with a little bit of Serum for Additional Seal & Shine.:grin:

That's what I was thinking. I read that serums form a breathable layer over the hair, so I guess if it's breathable it's somewhat penetrable, but the more serum you use, the less penetrable, perhaps.

I also apply the serum to damp hair. It makes my hair feel kinda slick and greasy when I apply it to dry hair. Does anyone seal with both oil and serum? If so, which do you apply first, the oil or the serum?

sometims i put a drop of oil and a drop of serum in my palm and apply to hair

I do Muffin.:yep: Especially when using Argan Oil.

It's superlight almost a transparent/weightless feeling. I will apply the Argan and then top with a little bit of Serum for Additional Seal & Shine.:grin:

Great! Do you apply the oil and serum to wet hair or dry hair?

i dont have a problem applying my leave in or moisturizer first then apply serum. The next day i moisturize. I have not seen any problems. i dont have to apply serum daily either. I wash weekly

Great! Do you apply the oil and serum to wet hair or dry hair?

Dry. A little of each. I'll apply to Argan to the Sections, Flat Iron and then use a drop or 2 of the Serum for seal & shine. Right now I am using the IC Fantasia Heat Protectant (Pink Bottle) but I also have the Anti Frizz one as well.

Also, when you were talking about Serums "blocking" additional moisture, I do find that I clarify more often when I do use Serum to remove buildup of the Serum and all the other products.:yep:

i dont have a problem applying my leave in or moisturizer first then apply serum. The next day i moisturize. I have not seen any problems. i dont have to apply serum daily either. I wash weekly

Yeah, I figured since cones don't come out of your hair until you use surfactants that once they're in there, they're in there so there is no need to reapply. How do you moisturize? Do you use a water-based moisturizer or oil based? Also do you have to dampen your hair when you moisturize or do you just apply it directly to dry hair? Sorry for all the questions. I have a tendency of being curious :drunk:.

Yeah, I figured since cones don't come out of your hair until you use surfactants that once they're in there, they're in there so there is no need to reapply. How do you moisturize? Do you use a water-based moisturizer or oil based? Also do you have to dampen your hair when you moisturize or do you just apply it directly to dry hair? Sorry for all the questions. I have a tendency of being curious :drunk:.

i noticed my hair responds better if i use motions marula or qhemet honey and olive balm wich are not water based. I dont dampen my hair.
for my serum i use mizani spradiance. I want to try ic but have to wait until i use that up

sometims i put a drop of oil and a drop of serum in my palm and apply to hair

This is genuis! I was just going to ask if anyone mixes their oils and serums together. Definitely going to do this next time. That way I won't have to worry about the age old "which comes first" question :grin:.

i noticed my hair responds better if i use motions marula or qhemet honey and olive balm wich are not water based. I dont dampen my hair.
for my serum i use mizani spradiance. I want to try ic but have to wait until i use that up

Perhaps moisturizing when using cones and moisturizing flat-ironed hair is similar. I've been hearing a lot about these qhemet balms. They must be good stuff. I'm tempted to buy one :ohwell:. I wonder if they're costly?...*off to check qhemet website*.

Perhaps moisturizing when using cones and moisturizing flat-ironed hair is similar. I've been hearing a lot about these qhemet balms. They must be good stuff. I'm tempted to buy one :ohwell:. I wonder if they're costly?...*off to check qhemet website*.

Oooo! Muffin! You will LOVE:love: Qhemet !

And Good thing: You can Get Samples!:grin:

Back