Scientific Theories for Hair's Sleekness, Shine, & Swing: Internal, External, or Both

kiesha8185

Hi guys!

I have a question and wanna know your thoughts, opinions, and most importantly...scientific explanations/theories…(ahem…Sistaslick…cough cough…)

Ok well, I’ve been browsing through some beautiful heads of relaxed hair albums and they have a beautiful SHINE and SWING. Like JLove and Machierie for example. To me, their hair just looks like it has this sort of smoothness and sleekness to the strands and it's shiny. Did you all see Macherie’s rollersetting tutorial???? My hair never fell from a wrap like that, not even when I got it done at the salon. I really was like :drool: I feel like my hair can never look like that, only my new growth looks this shiny. Why is that? This blew my theory that my chemically-altered hair couldn't look like this :ohwell: ...

The reason I feel like hair type has something to do with it is because my mom has the same hair type as I do, maybe a little coarser, but she is natural. When I Maxiglided her hair, it had this shine and smoothness to the touch. I don’t think that my relaxed hair can ever achieve that look or that “swang” no matter what product, amount of heat I use, or how many times I change up my regimen.

But then I also see many beautiful heads of relaxed hair that is healthy and thick and beautiful. However, it has a sheen, and my hair falls in this category. Not saying this isn’t beautiful. But I wonder why? Then I see some naturals who also have just the sheen.

When I see relaxed heads of hair like the previous members I’ve mentioned, I begin to realize that that the shine/swang IS possible for chemically-altered hair and wonder mine ain’t doin that! I'm wondering what I'm not doing that they are. Then I think about all the ACV rinses, cold water final rinses, and henna treatments I've done that never made my hair look like this. So then I start thinking maybe it's not what I'm not doing; maybe there's nothing I can do. :confused:

I really hope this makes some kinda sense, it’s really hard to explain. Is there a scientific explanation for this? Is this something my relaxed hair can achieve as other relaxed women have? If so, can you all maybe suggest some techniques or products that I can use to get this.

I guess my question is, is this look due to the use of relaxer used, products used, level of hair’s health, techniques -OR- is this like genetically predisposed and/or determined by your hair type? What makes some naturals and relaxed have this look, while other naturals and relaxed don't?

Thanks!

P.S. I hope this doesn’t make anyone offended or people think I’m trying to start something. I just joined yesterday so I wouldn’t do that. I just wanna know techniques/products (if this is indeed an external thing ie. products and not an internal thing ie genetics/hair type.) Sorry I just felt the need to say that :) TIA

Good Question...

I would love to know as well.

I think one of the things might be if you use Lye vs. No Lye.

kiesha8185,

Hello, I understand your question and hopefully my answers that are based upon my experience and observations help:

Hair type has a little to do with it, but only a little. I have seen girls on here that appear to have a thick head of hair and still have luster, shiny and bounce. Examples:

Sistaslick and Mach's hair TO ME seems to be thick compared to others such as myself, who have fine hair. I based this off the diameter of the based ponytail.

I have also seen girls that appear to have a more fine/thin grade of hair and still have shine, etc. This supports my theory that hair type has little to do with.

1. One of the things we ALL (everyone one LCHF newbie or not) have to take in consideration is the effect a camera flash can have on hair. I am not saying that it's not possible to have hair with luster and shine. However, I am saying that when you take a picture (and the flash goes off) the lighting can make dull hair shiny hair, assuming you have added a little shine aid like serum or oil before you take the picture. Therefore, just because you see a picture of someone’s hair that is "Shiny" that does not mean that if you see the person hair in real life, it will be that way. I am not saying that the members you mentioned do not have shiny hair; I am just saying to please take that in consideration when viewing pictures.

2. Besides that reflective in a photo, the goal is to have hair with natural luster and sheen. If you want to increase luster to your hair, from my experience, I have found that taking a EFA (Essential Fatty Acid or Omega 3-6-9) supplement helps to keep hair lustrous, elasticity, and brings out the natural shine of your hair. Furthermore, this helps from having to OVERDO the topical oils, moisturizers, and serums to achieve lustrous/shiny hair.

3. Moisturizing: Hydrate, moisturize, seal and wrap every night, helps my hair have that added shine and bounce.

Try this method for a week:
1. Make a water mist consisting of boils Rosemary herbs and chamomile leaves. Just boil in a pot of water for about 5 minutes. Strain, let cool down, and pour into a spray bottle.

2. Lightly mist your hair, then apply a SMALL (dime size or less) amount of water based moisturizer to your hair making sure that you are finger combing your hair so all areas (not just the top of your hair) gets moisturized.

3. Seal with a carrier oil like Jojoba, vatika, olive oil, etc. Apply a dime size amount to your hair and finger through.

4. Wrap your hair like you seen in Mach's video. You can wrap as is or follow with the Saran Wrap method as explained in Mach's video on silk wrapping. I do not get under the dryer; I just leave on for 15 minutes or so, and then remove.

5. Then tie your silk scarf around wrapped head if you are going to bed or undo wrap and go.

Another thing is make sure you clarify periodically to remove any build up that may cause your hair to not shine and have a dull look.

Try not to use heavy moisturizing creams that have mineral oils, petroleum, or lanolin.

Use only little amounts of moisturizers and oils, to keep a bouncy head of hair. Using more than a dime size amount of anything on dry hair will weight your hair down.

I hope I have been helpful and I am always available for questions. :)

Hmmm... this is an interesting question. I think anyone can have shine, but sheen is inherent to healthy hair. Shine can be accomplished simply by layering the cuticle with oils, serums, greases, etc. When I see natural sheen or shine, I think that's some healthy, intact cuticle there.:lol: (Or if its artificial shine, I think wow that's lots of grease/serum there.):lachen:

Sheen and shine are really just the reflection of light from the cuticle surface of the hair. Sheen is that natural, non product induced reflection. Shine can refer to sheen, but it's really the glossier, usually product enhanced version of reflection.

1.) The flatter, tighter, and more intact the cuticle, the more natural shine/sheen you'll see. If there is splitting or an overall uneveness down the shaft, like the kind that would result from porosity problems, photochemical damage, etc. this will take away from your sheen. Color treated hair also has to work extra hard to shine on its own merits.

The reason you may have seen more naturals with that natural sheen is that they are more likely to have intact cuticle layers. Heat straigtening also increases the shine factor because it forces the cuticle layers to lie flat.

2.) Well hydrated hair has a natural sheen to it. Dry hair can shine temporarily if you load it with the oils/greases.

Now, That's IRL heads of hair. On the net, a FLASH can work WONDERS :lol:
That swang factor is usually from the right combo of super light products, and a good cut. Uneven, stringy hair rarely swangs no matter what you put on it. :nono:

Last edited:
Re: Scientific Theories for Hair's Sleekness, Shine, & Swing: Internal, External, or

Hair type has a little to do with it, but only a little. I have seen girls on here that appear to have a thick head of hair and still have luster, shiny and bounce. Examples:

Sistaslick and Mach's hair TO ME seems to be thick compared to others such as myself, who have fine hair. I based this off the diameter of the based ponytail.

I have also seen girls that appear to have a more fine/thin grade of hair and still have shine, etc. This supports my theory that hair type has little to do with.

Yea, this totally makes sense to me. But when I said hair type, I was referring more to 4a/ab...you know. Not like thin/thickness. You're totally right; I don't think how thick a person's hair is should have an affect on how it shines...

1. One of the things we ALL (everyone one LCHF newbie or not) have to take in consideration is the effect a camera flash can have on hair.

I didn't even take into account camera flash, especially the amount of serums added to the hair. But I don't wanna have to pile on product to get that shine; Machierie def. made it evident that less is more. I also find that when I use too much product, my hair has that shine, but IT DOESN'T MOVE and I hate that. I'm taking Flaxseed Oil and Evening Primrose Oils now, so hopefully that help me get that shine naturally and will decrease the amount of products. Do you think these are adequate sources for all EFAs I need?

Try this method for a week:
1. Make a water mist consisting of boils Rosemary herbs and chamomile leaves. Just boil in a pot of water for about 5 minutes. Strain, let cool down, and pour into a spray bottle.

2. Lightly mist your hair, then apply a SMALL (dime size or less) amount of water based moisturizer to your hair making sure that you are finger combing your hair so all areas (not just the top of your hair) gets moisturized.

3. Seal with a carrier oil like Jojoba, vatika, olive oil, etc. Apply a dime size amount to your hair and finger through.

I really wanna try this. Can I get these herbs at a grocery store, or would I have to go like natural grocer?

Try not to use heavy moisturizing creams that have mineral oils, petroleum, or lanolin.

I currently use Fermodyl 619 and a leave-in and NTM as a moisturizer. It's the only moisturizer that I find works for me, and I'm beginning to think it's cuz I use a no-lye relaxer.

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this to me!! I'm gonna try all of your recs when I get outta these twists.

Re: Scientific Theories for Hair's Sleekness, Shine, & Swing: Internal, External, or

[/color]

I really wanna try this. Can I get these herbs at a grocery store, or would I have to go like natural grocer?

You can get the rosemary herbs in any grocery store, I got mine from the seasoning section. It's not seasoning like with stuff added in it, its pure rosemary leaves. The chamomile, honestly, I used a tea bag of pure herbal chamomile...:lol:

[/COLOR]

I currently use Fermodyl 619 and a leave-in and NTM as a moisturizer. It's the only moisturizer that I find works for me, and I'm beginning to think it's cuz I use a no-lye relaxer.
Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this to me!! I'm gonna try all of your recs when I get outta these twists.

If you're using a no-lye relaxer, it might also be that you have mineral deposits built up on the shaft of your hair. You might try chelating your hair to lift the deposits and see if this also helps enhance your natural sheen. Any chelator the wash following your relaxer will work. It'll also help you if your problems w/ lack of sheen/shine are due to hard water.

i've wondered these same things. thanx for asking keisha and thanx for the answers! very helpful.

i've wondered these same things. thanx for asking keisha and thanx for the answers! very helpful.

And Dillard your hair is justa shining too!!!! :lachen:

If you're using a no-lye relaxer, it might also be that you have mineral deposits built up on the shaft of your hair. You might try chelating your hair to lift the deposits and see if this also helps enhance your natural sheen. Any chelator the wash following your relaxer will work. It'll also help you if your problems w/ lack of sheen/shine are due to hard water.

Good point Sistaslick. Nexxus Aloe Rid Treatment is a good one.

1.) The flatter, tighter, and more intact the cuticle, the more natural shine/sheen you'll see. If there is splitting or an overall uneveness down the shaft, like the kind that would result from porosity problems, photochemical damage, etc. this will take away from your sheen. Color treated hair also has to work extra hard to shine on its own merits.

As far as porosity goes, I tried ACV and Roux Porosity Control and my hair ended up very very tangled each time. Cold water rinses also make my hair a little more tangled and harder than if I would have just did my final rinse with warm water. What does this mean? And what is photochemical damage? Sorry you need to break that down in lamen's term for me...!:lachen:

The reason you may have seen more naturals with that natural sheen is that they are more likely to have intact cuticle layers. Heat straigtening also increases the shine factor because it forces the cuticle layers to lie flat.

This exampes why my new growth looks shinier than my relaxed portions.
And what does "IRL" mean?

Thank you so much for explaining this, you and Keclee know so much about this, I'm wondering why I didn't get the memo?? Before LHCF once, I bought this oil sheen tryin to make my hair look good and it just ended up an oily mess that didn't move. :( Thanks!

I'm actually thinking about changing to lye, my top ones right now are Affirm, Optimum, or. Mizani. Also what's the difference between chelating and clarifying? How often should this be done?

As far as porosity goes, I tried ACV and Roux Porosity Control and my hair ended up very very tangled each time. Cold water rinses also make my hair a little more tangled and harder than if I would have just did my final rinse with warm water. What does this mean? And what is photochemical damage? Sorry you need to break that down in lamen's term for me...!:lachen:

:lol: Sorry! :lol: Photochemical damage is damage to the hair that results from sun exposure. You know how some people's hair naturally turns redder or bleaches in the summer time? That is photochemical damage. The sun basically breaks down important keratin linkages in the hair shaft, and the effect is worsened if you venture outside with damp hair.

If acidic rinses are tangling your hair, then your mixture is too concentrated. These rinses simple tighten, and constrict the cuticle layers so that they temporarily lie flatter. pH change can accomplish this chemically, and cool water rinses can accomplish this, mechanically. Now, I'm thinking that if the regular water rinses were tangling your hair, your water may have been too cold. The water doesn't have to be bitterly cold to work-- cool water works just as well.

This exampes why my new growth looks shinier than my relaxed portions.

Yeah. The relaxing process forces the cuticle layers apart-- and this process happening over and over again weakens the hair. (That's why it's so important to protect the length of your hair during a relaxer, because as you go to rinse out the creme, the relaxer passes right on back over the previously relaxed hair on it's way down the drain :ohwell:) Sometimes, the cuticles never fully return to their original tight orientation, and this is why relaxed AND color treated hair tends to be much more porous than natural hair. It's porous and loses it's natural sheen because the cuticle orientation has been disrupted over and over again.

And what does "IRL" mean?

In Real Life.:lol:

I'm actually thinking about changing to lye, my top ones right now are Affirm, Optimum, or. Mizani. Also what's the difference between chelating and clarifying? How often should this be done?

And Kiesha your hair lookin' shiny too! :lol: Chelating shampoo formulas remove mineral/metals deposits like calcium, Mg, copper, etc from the hair. They are much more potent shampoo formulas than clarifiers. A clarifier only removes regular everyday product residue and buildup. Any regular heavy sulfate shampoo can clarify the hair satisfactorily, but you need a special shampoo formula if you are going to be chelating minerals.

The answer to how often depends on the user and what they are using the chelator for. If you have hard water and use that water regularly, you might be chelating the hair weekly. If you're using it to lift buildup from a no-lye relaxer, then you'd only really need it the wash after the relaxer. If you're a swimmer, you might use it after those sessions. It really just depends on why you're using it in the first place. You'd also need to be really diligent about deep conditioning if you are using a shampoo like this regularly.

Last edited:

2.) Well hydrated hair has a natural sheen to it. Dry hair can shine temporarily if you load it with the oils/greases.

when you say well hydrated hair. do you mean hair that is hydrated internally by drinking water or hair that is moisturized?

This is a great thread. I am learning a lot. My hair always lacks shine and I'm not sure why. This thread is giving great tips.

when you say well hydrated hair. do you mean hair that is hydrated internally by drinking water or hair that is moisturized?

This is a great thread. I am learning a lot. My hair always lacks shine and I'm not sure why. This thread is giving great tips.

I'd say both! You need that internal moisture for healthy hair, too. (Not to mention healthy skin.) When your diet and water intake are on point, then the hair you push out will be in peak condition.

Your hair gets the leftover materials from the rest of your body, so if you are already dehydrated and your nutrition is poor-- you'll put out poor quality hair.

Once that hair emerges, it won't get any more nutritional support from you again. Everything after that will have to be done externally. So you want your body to be in good condition first, so that your hair comes out in good condition, and you won't have to jump through hoops of fire to patch it up after it's already out there. :lol: The benefits of increasing internal hydration will take a while to show up along the length of the shaft since it will only affect the newgrowth that comes out during that time. In the meantime, external hydration is all you can rely on.

OMG I'm learning sooo much, thanks a lot for the info....

But you know I got more questions :grin:

Sistaslick, how do you protect the hair from photochemical damage? Are there any products you use to do this? Cuz my hair definitely got more brown over time, which is why I indigoed it. And I'll make sure never to leave the house with damp hair, I definitely did that a lot since I only airdry my hair.

As far as pH tightening the cuticle, I've always wondered about this. For example, if I use a pH-balanced shampoo like Keracare Hydrating (pH 6.0), then rinse with water (pH 7), deep condition with Nexxus Colorsure Conditioner (which I heard has a really low pH, but I'm not sure what it is), then rinse with cool water, wouldn't that take my pH back to 7.0? I know the pH of the hair is increased and decreased exponentially, but how can I make sure the cuticles are as flat as can be without having to use heat (pH-wise) since the last "product" touching my hair is water?

And I'm gonna slather vaseline and oil over my already relaxed portions from now on to prevent the "run-down" from the relaxer.

And thanks for the compliment :D My hair also looks dusty without flash as well, unless I had just hennaed. Like if you see my henna pics, my hair is much more shiny/thick just after I henna and the effects seem to wear off after a while. Do you know how henna helps the hair shine?

I plan on getting a shower filter; do you know if this would decrease the need for a chelating shampoo? I'm gonna try the Nexxus Aloe Rid as well, thanks for the rec Keclee :)

I'd say both! You need that internal moisture for healthy hair, too. (Not to mention healthy skin.) When your diet and water intake are on point, then the hair you push out will be in peak condition.

Your hair gets the leftover materials from the rest of your body, so if you are already dehydrated and your nutrition is poor-- you'll put out poor quality hair.

Once that hair emerges, it won't get any more nutritional support from you again. Everything after that will have to be done externally. So you want your body to be in good condition first, so that your hair comes out in good condition, and you won't have to jump through hoops of fire to patch it up after it's already out there. :lol: The benefits of increasing internal hydration will take a while to show up along the length of the shaft since it will only affect the newgrowth that comes out during that time. In the meantime, external hydration is all you can rely on.

thanks a lot for explaining that.

Hi Keisha! Thanks for the compliments.

I will say that I think my sheen and sleekness has a lot to do with my corrective relaxer which fixed my underprocessed sections and laid the cuticle flat. Not sure how that works from a scientic standpoint but I will say that my hair became shinier and sleeker after I did that.

Hi Keisha! Thanks for the compliments.

I will say that I think my sheen and sleekness has a lot to do with my corrective relaxer which fixed my underprocessed sections and laid the cuticle flat. Not sure how that works from a scientic standpoint but I will say that my hair became shinier and sleeker after I did that.

Which relaxer left you underprocessed, and which one did you use to correct it? I had the feeling that relaxers had something to do with with cuz my hair was extra dry with Phyto, I had to work a little to hard to moisturize. I'm really thinking of using Affirm Lye. I wonder if correcting no-lye sections with a lye relaxer is bad?

Hmmm, it might have been revlon from back in the day or mizani that left my underprocessed. Im not 100% happy with affirm as it is kinda drying. The perm I used to correct it and its also the best perm Ive every used is called international textures and its sold exclusively throught the famous Olives salons in boston.

I used that perm when im in boston for school and its gentle and super moisturizing. The corrective she gave me was the bomb and after that my hair was soo much silkier and look incredibly moisturized;) My hair looked dull and dry before that

Thanks for all the tips ladies!

But you know I got more questions :grin:

Sistaslick, how do you protect the hair from photochemical damage? Are there any products you use to do this? Cuz my hair definitely got more brown over time, which is why I indigoed it. And I'll make sure never to leave the house with damp hair, I definitely did that a lot since I only airdry my hair.

Well, some products do contain sunscreens, but there is debate as to whether these sunscreens are really all that effective. The best thing you can do is treat your hair like your skin and avoid overexposure to the sun. Keep it covered if you're going to be outdoors for awhile.

As far as pH tightening the cuticle, I've always wondered about this. For example, if I use a pH-balanced shampoo like Keracare Hydrating (pH 6.0), then rinse with water (pH 7), deep condition with Nexxus Colorsure Conditioner (which I heard has a really low pH, but I'm not sure what it is), then rinse with cool water, wouldn't that take my pH back to 7.0? I know the pH of the hair is increased and decreased exponentially, but how can I make sure the cuticles are as flat as can be without having to use heat (pH-wise) since the last "product" touching my hair is water?

Well, since your conditioner bears an acidic pH, when you combine that with the neutral pH of water, the net pH would be hair's usual slighly acidic pH-- not the water's pH or the conditioner's pH. Your hair doesn't just take on the pH of the new product, it usually falls somewhere in the middle of that. That is why conditioners are usually slightly more acidic than the hair to help normalize or balance the hair's pH around a certain level during the washing process.

The coolness of the water is also working to mechanically close the cuticle layers even though the water's pH is neutral. That neutral pH, along with the acidic conditioner's pH, plus the temperature difference helps close the cuticles and smooth them after your washing session.

Just think about when you're doing a relaxer, the pH of the hair is 12-14 or so. The water rinsing (pH 7) helps lower the to pH to about 8 or 9 (not 7), but you still need a more acidic product (pH 3-5) to help bring the pH down to the hair's normal pH of 4.5-5.5.

And I'm gonna slather vaseline and oil over my already relaxed portions from now on to prevent the "run-down" from the relaxer.

And thanks for the compliment :D My hair also looks dusty without flash as well, unless I had just hennaed. Like if you see my henna pics, my hair is much more shiny/thick just after I henna and the effects seem to wear off after a while. Do you know how henna helps the hair shine?
The henna coats the shaft of the hair and helps reflect light from the smoothed uniform surface. Similar to a clear rinse. Once that protective, reflective coating is rinsed away-- some of the shine goes with it.

I plan on getting a shower filter; do you know if this would decrease the need for a chelating shampoo? I'm gonna try the Nexxus Aloe Rid as well, thanks for the rec Keclee :)

The shower filter should help you with your hard water problem. I've heard that they can be pricey and the kind that works best is the full house kind--not just the kind you place over the spout if I am not mistaken. I don't have hard water, so I haven't really looked into that. Either one should offer some relief though. :lol:

This is a great thread! You've raised some good questions Keisha.

Macherieamour, you really have me wanting to try this International Textures! I need a corrective!

Sistaslick, I'm learning sooo much from you! I'm one of those people that likes to understand why something works the way it does, thanks for taking the time out to explain to me. I'm really trying to change up the regimen and take better care for my hair when I'm out these twists to see my hair at its best. So this is what I'm gonna do:

-change my relaxer to lye
-get nexxus aloe rid and the whole Aveda DR Line! :D
-get a water filter
-do cool water rinses
-mist my hair with rosemary/chamomile herbs before I moisturize
-eliminate all products with lanolin, petrolatum, mineral oil
-up my henna treatments to twice a month
-cover my hair to protect it from the sun
-cut 3-4 inches of my ends
-use acidic conditioners to help the cuticle lie even flatter (I've heard that shampoos that help color stay in longer are the most acidic conditioner. Is that true?)
-continue to drink tons of water and taking my EFAs
-make sure to completely protect already processed hair to prevent relaxer run-off and overprocessing
-use as little product as possible

If you any other tips (aside from serums/glossers) lemme know...I want that natural sheen :yep: Thanks again!

Hmmm, it might have been revlon from back in the day or mizani that left my underprocessed. Im not 100% happy with affirm as it is kinda drying. The perm I used to correct it and its also the best perm Ive every used is called international textures and its sold exclusively throught the famous Olives salons in boston.

I used that perm when im in boston for school and its gentle and super moisturizing. The corrective she gave me was the bomb and after that my hair was soo much silkier and look incredibly moisturized;) My hair looked dull and dry before that
Dont mean to hijack:) ... but do u go to Boston everytime to get a retouch there or do u buy it and do it urself?

This thread is so good.
I will have to re-read everything when I get home tonight because my hair NEVER has sheen or shine for that matter and it only swangs when I get it done at the salon.

I spent half the evening on Saturday and a few hours on Sunday watching Macherie's tutorials, the whole time I was thinking to myself...my hair NEVER looks like that after a rollerset. Low and beyond, after my rollerset....it still didn't look like that.:perplexed

Last edited:

This thread is so good.
I will have to re-read everything when I get home tonight because my hair NEVER has sheen or shine for that matter and it only swangs when I get it done at the salon.

I spent half the evening on Saturday and a few hours on Sunday watching Macherie's tutorials, the whole time I was thinking to myself...my hair NEVER looks like that after a rollerset. Low and beyond, after my rollerset....it still didn't look like that.:perplexed

well, you sure are BLANGIN in your avatar!! Your hair looks gorgeous! Also, consider cold water rinses after rinsing out the conditioner. Before I got a corrective, i used to do this and it gave me the same sheen.

Last edited:
Back